The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

To keep this thread where people can see it so our new hires can read and learn…

also, here are a few words you might hear over the radio that are used as shorthand.

The Well: Stilwell Avenue

the Rock: Far Rockaway

Pacific/Pacific Street: Atlantic-Barclays on the 4th avenue D/N/R (it’s name before Atlantic Avenue was applied to it.)

the Highway: Kings Highway on the Culver Line

the Boulevard: Rockaway Blvd

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the ABCs of RTO (I am still not calling it “Service Delivery”…) for new hires.

A is for “ABD”, you’re not going anywhere 

B is for “Board”, what you’ll be doing a lot of (in the figurative and literal sense)

C is for “CRC”, where you often have to show up.

D is for “Drop”, you just got a longer break

E is for “Extra”, you’re trip isn’t on the timetable.

F is for “First”, when you’re first through a completed GO, be on the lookout…

G is for “G2”, … or else you’ll be writing these a lot

H is for “Holding Lights”, never ignore them

I is for “Interval”, remember it. Stick to it.

J is for “Job”… knowing which one you have makes all the difference.

K is for “Kronos”… swipe the day away.

L is for “Lost and Found”. It’s at Penn Station.

M is for “MAL”. If you don’t have it, you’re not moving.

N is for “November”… which is about when you’ll pick.

O is for “Original”. You get called this when you’re taken Out of Service.

P is for “Portable Trip”… which get carelessly left behind…

Q is for “Quilifed”, what gets you the interesting jobs…

R is for “RCI”. The AAA of the subway

S is for “Supplement”. Know it well.

T is for “Trailer”, where you’ll be spending a lot of time

U is for “Universal”… what the 5 button lock door codes aren’t…

V is for “Vacation”. You’ll be getting the scraps.

W is for “Wash”. remember to close the windows.

X is for “X crew”. You’re on a GO job.

Y is for “Yard”, where you’ll be getting a lot of cardio.

Z is for “Zone Controller”… which work… right up until someone sneezes and then it self destructs.

Also "Read and Understand the GOs that will effect you"...

All one needs to do is ask if they aren't sure its up to the supervision on duty to assist..

Do not be concerned about their feelings, of coruse ask in a professional manner they have a job to do and if things go south they are looked at first...

On 10/18/2023 at 8:01 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Welcome to the ABCs of RTO (I am still not calling it “Service Delivery”…) for new hires.

A is for “ABD”, you’re not going anywhere 

B is for “Board”, what you’ll be doing a lot of (in the figurative and literal sense)

C is for “CRC”, where you often have to show up.

D is for “Drop”, you just got a longer break

E is for “Extra”, you’re trip isn’t on the timetable.

F is for “First”, when you’re first through a completed GO, be on the lookout…

G is for “G2”, … or else you’ll be writing these a lot

H is for “Holding Lights”, never ignore them

I is for “Interval”, remember it. Stick to it.

J is for “Job”… knowing which one you have makes all the difference.

K is for “Kronos”… swipe the day away.

L is for “Lost and Found”. It’s at Penn Station.

M is for “MAL”. If you don’t have it, you’re not moving.

N is for “November”… which is about when you’ll pick.

O is for “Original”. You get called this when you’re taken Out of Service.

P is for “Portable Trip”… which get carelessly left behind…

Q is for “Quilifed”, what gets you the interesting jobs…

R is for “RCI”. The AAA of the subway

S is for “Supplement”. Know it well.

T is for “Trailer”, where you’ll be spending a lot of time

U is for “Universal”… what the 5 button lock door codes aren’t…

V is for “Vacation”. You’ll be getting the scraps.

W is for “Wash”. remember to close the windows.

X is for “X crew”. You’re on a GO job.

Y is for “Yard”, where you’ll be getting a lot of cardio.

Z is for “Zone Controller”… which work… right up until someone sneezes and then it self destructs.

Here's a question for u!   What does Flex mean in terms of dispatching?  (i.e.:  you're interval is now the 14:40 Flex).

2 hours ago, PrometheusEngineer said:

Here's a question for u!   What does Flex mean in terms of dispatching?  (i.e.:  you're interval is now the 14:40 Flex).

It simply means your scheduled interval has been adjusted due to service disruptions, crew shortages, etc.

You do not need permission from OCC to take a Call on...

The Call On IS your Permission...

Edited by RTOMan

If one is operating a tech train R142 and Up and a radio transmission needs to be done..

Only two Options..

Use the Hand Held Radio ..

Use the Train Radio..

Cant have BOTH of them on at the same time and try to transmit or that feedback will just sound like nails on a chalkboard to all who can hear the transmission..

So please be mindful of your fellow coworkers and Use ONLY ONE when making a transmission..

I'm losing count how many times I'm hearing that screeching noise from folks who have both of them on at the same time its quite annoying..

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

Train Operators if your Train Goes BIE (drop the handle smack a signal) just call it in protect your Partner...

You never know whos on that train and some folks got OCC on speed Dial..

ESPIECALLY if you are in CBTC land they know that train went into emergency they will just see what you are going to do...

They love two for one here...

There is no "I" in team...

• 2 weeks later...

For the new T/Os, from your partners in the middle.

there are many, many stations where the leaving signal is obstructed from the conductor’s position (such as EVERY station where the platform is on the offside)

if the leaving signal is at danger, give us a long buzz immediately after the doors are open.

do not assume we can see the signal or that we also have holding lights.

also, on a related note, when in CBTC territory, conductors can not see if you have MAL or not.

For example, during the day, at 75th Avenue on D1, the leaving signal switches to CBTC flashing green a good 10 to 20 seconds before you get MAL. Those of use experienced on the corridor know this and wait, but a lot of very new people don’t and automatically respond to the holding lights switching off. You need to be attentive to that.

11 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

For the new T/Os, from your partners in the middle.

there are many, many stations where the leaving signal is obstructed from the conductor’s position (such as EVERY station where the platform is on the offside)

if the leaving signal is at danger, give us a long buzz immediately after the doors are open.

do not assume we can see the signal or that we also have holding lights.

also, on a related note, when in CBTC territory, conductors can not see if you have MAL or not.

For example, during the day, at 75th Avenue on D1, the leaving signal switches to CBTC flashing green a good 10 to 20 seconds before you get MAL. Those of use experienced on the corridor know this and wait, but a lot of very new people don’t and automatically respond to the holding lights switching off. You need to be attentive to that.

Exactly me and my reg CR got it timed to a T when that MAL Kicks in he pays no mind to the flashing green...

Anyone else i give them the long Buzzzzzzz....

Once in a while once in a while CTL Master just lines us up because theses no(E) at Kew..

• 2 weeks later...

Yard leads that go to the mainline you do not need permission from OCC to key up to the Homesignal.

Going through a Flagging area DO NOT MOVE that train until you make sure everyone is cleared up safely that trip and red lantern is picked up and you have the proper signal from the flagger to proceed.

If you have a Tech train and there is inclement weather make sure that Wiper is working before you leave the Terminal..

If there is a incident and G2s are written please  do not use the words "Oh everybody else dose it"  or "that's how it was shown to me" will just bring more heat to places just take the spanking and get it over with..

Edited by RTOMan

20 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

speaking of flagging I actually got to pick as a C/R after a year...

well technically I got picked BY flagging as those were the only 11 jobs left

keep me in ya prayers

CF is ok they are all by the book there..

You'll make money too..

After a while you wont want any part of the road

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I will be on the next upcoming class and I am coming from a office job regular 9-5 for the last 10+ years. This will be something completely different from what I do, definitely a little nervous about the change. Any advise what I should expect or guidance into this transition would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 hour ago, ix360xi said:

Hi all, I will be on the next upcoming class and I am coming from a office job regular 9-5 for the last 10+ years. This will be something completely different from what I do, definitely a little nervous about the change. Any advise what I should expect or guidance into this transition would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Probably something to ask before accepting the job tbh.

Do not have high expectations that you will be given the tour, days off, and close reporting locations you want while you are XX. You want the AM tour? So do your classmates and the people with higher seniority than you. Being able to pick a job with weekends off will be possible only after many years of gaining seniority unless you win a job off the vacancy bid with it. Your tour and RDO can change from week to week. You may work the PM tour for a few weeks with Mon./Tues. off and then the next two weeks, you're on the midnight with Thurs/Friday off because they need you to work Christmas/New Year's.

Requesting days off is not going to be as easy as emailing your boss. There's a really small cap on how many people can get the day off everyday and It's on a first come, first serve basis. You have to request the day off 20 days in advanced to automatically get the day approved if you manage to snag a slot. Request 3-19 days in advanced and you have to wait to see if the crew office approve it or not. Weekends are highly sought after so that means there's always a ton of people that are fighting each other to put their request in the automated phone system first. Though when people don't get the day off they want, they tend to get sick for some reason.

Do not be late. Leave home "early" if you have to. Trains run on a schedule and it relies on you being on time to be on them.

There's more others can chime in, but that's the basic HR gist. The upsides are that you do get a pension and the best health insurance ( though worst dental insurance) that you can get anywhere.

Edited by Jericho

Folks, a piece of advise. 

It is never good when (hypothetically) you are YX and the Line Superintendent (who was a Schoolcar Instructor), the Yard TSS, and the Yard Dispatcher see you not only blow a STOP sign at the crosswalk, but not even slow down. 

And it really pisses off said Line Superintendent when you try to make excuses, saying you were rushed. 

This is all hypothetical, of course. 

37 minutes ago, mediccjh said:

Folks, a piece of advise. 

It is never good when (hypothetically) you are YX and the Line Superintendent (who was a Schoolcar Instructor), the Yard TSS, and the Yard Dispatcher see you not only blow a STOP sign at the crosswalk, but not even slow down. 

And it really pisses off said Line Superintendent when you try to make excuses, saying you were rushed. 

This is all hypothetical, of course. 

Seems the "excuse route" is the norm when chit goes south...

Just say ya effed up it will go easier..

Hypothetically speaking of coruse...

1 hour ago, ix360xi said:

Forget everything you knew about that Job...

Pay NO MIND to the whiners(especially here)  and crew room lawyers..

This Job IS what you make it.

Never let anyone rush you safety IS first...

There's never a stupid  Question...

Folks are willing to help if one just asks...

Another important reminder for you new hires:

never forget who is the boss here. You are not a lowly cashier at McDonalds. You and your partner are the managers of your train. You do not need to take any shit from the passengers. You do not need to do what they ask if you don’t want to.

if you have a passenger misbehaving and they respond to your request to stop with “go do your job”… remind them that is exactly what you’re doing. The safety and security of your train and its passengers are as much your responsibility as getting the train to the terminal. 

20 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Another important reminder for you new hires:

never forget who is the boss here. You are not a lowly cashier at McDonalds. You and your partner are the managers of your train. You do not need to take any shit from the passengers. You do not need to do what they ask if you don’t want to.

if you have a passenger misbehaving and they respond to your request to stop with “go do your job”… remind them that is exactly what you’re doing. The safety and security of your train and its passengers are as much your responsibility as getting the train to the terminal. 

^^^^^THIS..

Also i keep in the back of my head for these holier than thou passengers..

"You are riding the train a nyc subway train"...