The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Well, tomorrow is the day… we’re set loose. Posting time is here.

14 lines, 14 days.

What I mean is what I said. I’m a rather literal kinda girl. 

the plastic that surrounds the metal pins that’s transfer the current were melting. I had to give it a rather good yank to ge my end off the third rail.

Damnn!!! Well, good luck on the road!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL sorry guys I haven't posted an update in a while. So far were on day 6 of road posting and I f**king love it! It feels so good to finally be on the road, I just wish we were able to keep these amazing AM jobs these senior people have. I have posted on the Q, W, F, G, R and A line and I can honestly say I hate New Tech trains. I personally love making announcements on SMEE and adding some fun twist to them to make peoples day. It's also a lot faster to do operations compared to New Tech. R46 is my favorite but the R68s are the worst cause of the tight cab. Of the New Tech, I hate the R179 cause the auto announcement are so slow and sometimes the Door Warning button doesn't even work and you need to make a manual announcement. Other then that I love this job and I can't wait to do 30 more years of this. 

Hey mediccjh..

I'm also a former medic for over 17 years and currently in school car for train operator. I'm having a different experience though. It's been very hard for me and I'm passing my tests with decent scores. But I sometimes feel like quitting and returning to my former job. Can you tell me how the job has been for you till this day. Thank you

On 7/16/2022 at 7:03 AM, MedicAJ said:

Hey mediccjh..

I'm also a former medic for over 17 years and currently in school car for train operator. I'm having a different experience though. It's been very hard for me and I'm passing my tests with decent scores. But I sometimes feel like quitting and returning to my former job. Can you tell me how the job has been for you till this day. Thank you

are you a TO?  it doesn't get any easier for me at least.  it's very stressful.  some folks can handle it better than others.  but give it a try..... are you close to being done in school car? 

Just read the latest safety bulletin where back in March a YX T/O overran a portable trip with the flagger signaling for him to stop. I hope it wasn't anyone here. I'd be very shock if schoolcar didn't fire him.

Anyway, I'm on the second day of posting in work trains. It's definitely a lot to get used to and remember what to do. The class time was pretty short presumably because they figure if you can operate a passenger train, you can operate a diesel, but they're two different beasts.

Edited by Jericho

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Just read the latest safety bulletin where back in March a YX T/O overran a portable trip with the flagger signaling for him to stop. I hope it wasn't anyone here. I'd be very shock if schoolcar didn't fire him.

Anyway, I'm on the second day of posting in work trains. It's definitely a lot to get used to and remember what to do. The class time was pretty short presumably because they figure if you can operate a passenger train, you can operate a diesel, but they're two different beasts.

You're 100% correct about the work train vs passenger service operations. I've done both and in my day we looked down on the passenger T/Os because that  passenger train operation was considered kid stuff to the old timers. A work train, especially a designated Roadmaster with two M/M  / T/O's on each end was real work compared to a "road train" in passenger service. I actually trained a school car motor instructor on electric loco operation ( which was much easier than diesel operation) although an electric loco can gap and lose power if it's off the 3rd rail while the diesel doesn't have that limitation. Some of my classmates stayed on work trains for their entire careers but I went in the other direction and never looked back. Just my recollection. Things might be very different these days. Carry on.

17 hours ago, Jericho said:

If one cannot read and understand  stop and stay hand signals when it comes to flagging one shouldn't be a TO.

Period.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:03 AM, MedicAJ said:

Hey mediccjh..

The mans a Boss Now he is doing good..

I met him when he was a new TO..

Great guy and a friend..

As for Schoolcar you passing the tests that a plus..

Just remember its a common sense job following simple instruction..

Edited by RTOMan

On 7/25/2022 at 8:14 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

You're 100% correct about the work train vs passenger service operations. I've done both and in my day we looked down on the passenger T/Os because that  passenger train operation was considered kid stuff to the old timers. A work train, especially a designated Roadmaster with two M/M  / T/O's on each end was real work compared to a "road train" in passenger service. I actually trained a school car motor instructor on electric loco operation ( which was much easier than diesel operation) although an electric loco can gap and lose power if it's off the 3rd rail while the diesel doesn't have that limitation. Some of my classmates stayed on work trains for their entire careers but I went in the other direction and never looked back. Just my recollection. Things might be very different these days. Carry on.

Things are very different we getting more of these "I got this"  think they know everything and don't know jack Mindset down here with folks who don't even got vested time in...

Some in Supervision who don't have a lot of time who have issues talking with hourlies as adults..

Crew Room Lawyers with one foot in Labor Relations holding court and some folks just taking their word as fact...

Yet is see folks in this group who really want the Job and are willing to learn the Job, that is what makes it seem like yes there good things coming.

I told a few of my trainers my outlook in life.

"the wisest person knows they know nothing." 

I did have to argue with a few over... petty things.

One insisting the J GO was weekend only

the others who didn't know the transfer between 42nd Bryant Park and the Times Square-PABT complex existed. 

"Nice you were able to call out all those trains, but some of them don't stop here."

"Yes they do."

"No..."

"There's a tunnel now, I've walked through it like, three times."

(insert "surprised Pikachu Face")

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

Hello can anyone explain the concept behind climbing the r68 cab in school ?

Do you need to be athletic or just basic climbing with stairs ? 

Just took exam 6601 opa.. 

.expecting pre employment for conductor soon.

like this: rock climbing

10 hours ago, Immortal11 said:

Lol thank you so much, they made it seem like it was climbing actually on top of the actual trains.. these forums are very misleading sometimes...thank for clearing that up!

ur gonna have a blast that day climbing. trust me.  i still remember that day we climbed lol it was like American Gladiators haha

For those who are YX XX or whatever...

When entering the barn...

SAFETY STOPS 

SAFETY STOPS

SAFETY STOPS

Never let ANYONE rush you to the point where you don't do them..

You hit that portable trip in the barn they are taking your pass period..

There's  been a few incidents...

Edited by RTOMan

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

Finally got appointed to C/R and start class on the 12th, this forum has been very informative, thanks to all of you for posting your experiences

Good luck I'm going on next week for a OPA assessment it states on the notice if I passed I get seen right away for medical but some on the forum mention they had to wait a few months to receive the letter if they pass or fail. So not sure, ill see when I get there 

9 minutes ago, Mohamed said:

Good luck I'm going on next week for a OPA assessment it states on the notice if I passed I get seen right away for medical but some on the forum mention they had to wait a few months to receive the letter if they pass or fail. So not sure, ill see when I get there 

If you're list number is in the 7XXX range, you probably won't get to medical until next year.

3 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

Tried again to order my shoes today, still saying invalid account. Tried calling customer service but it being labor day theyre probably off as It went straight to voicemail, guess im calling them first thing tomorrow morning

Don't worry about it. Just wait for the first day you report to order them. Chances are your info will be updated by then.

• 2 weeks later...