The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Give an example of such a circumstance. was working the Alpha a few weeks ago. 

Passengers rush past me at beach 67th as I start hearing loud music. 

I turn and look through the cab door window into the passenger area and there is man standing there making a fuss. I open the door a crack, and politely ask him to turn the music off.

Argumentative behavior ensues from him.

"Just do you job." he yells... alongside a lot more colorful language... 

"Sir... I am doing my job. I am, if you'd like, the 'captain' of this train. I am asking you to turn that off. If you choose to ignore me, I will have to get the police involved."

More fussing...

I sigh, closed down and called control. 

he was running his damn mouth all the way till Euclid until the cops took him off. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I turn and look through the cab door window into the passenger area and there is man standing there making a fuss. I open the door a crack, and politely ask him to turn the music off.

"Sir... I am doing my job. I am, if you'd like, the 'captain' of this train. I am asking you to turn that off. If you choose to ignore me, I will have to get the police involved."

More fussing...

he was running his damn mouth all the way till Euclid until the cops took him off. 

They always Talk big..

Then the cops show up and they mitch up....

21 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

More fussing...

I would have kept the train there, refused to move until he turned it off, and told him we aren't going anywhere unless you do so.

Ofc, also tell Control you cannot safety move with this man distracting with his music, even with their signal en route nonsense.

I've refused to move my train for a smoker in my cab last year and Control had to reroute service onto the local as a result. But I won in the end.

Another important tip/reminder for you all…

I should not have to say this… but long and the short of it circumstances from a recent day at work compels me to say to you all:

HAVE YOUR TOOLS WITH YOU! Even if your job seems like a milk run things can and do go wrong.

no I didn’t do anything wrong, this was someone else’s mistake, but I don’t want to any of you get taken out of service.

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Another important tip/reminder for you all…

I should not have to say this… but long and the short of it circumstances from a recent day at work compels me to say to you all:

HAVE YOUR TOOLS WITH YOU! Even if your job seems like a milk run things can and do go wrong.

no I didn’t do anything wrong, this was someone else’s mistake, but I don’t want to any of you get taken out of service.

Then once things go south dont use the "oh so and so does this or so and so is ok with this because everyone else does it" excuse..

Take The L and deal not throw everyone and everybody under the bus, which seems to be the norm down here sadly...

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Ryan98 said:

I’m starting school car next week for conductor. Can anyone shed any advice or how there particular experiences was

lot of info in a short amount of time, make sure you study the materials they give you.

First week was orientation, then the union hall the next day for your pass and other important info, you climb onto the train for the first time on Thursday 

18 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

lot of info in a short amount of time, make sure you study the materials they give you.

First week was orientation, then the union hall the next day for your pass and other important info, you climb onto the train for the first time on Thursday 

Thanks so I will definitely keep a notepad on hand at all times.I see  it’s a lot of information first week just orientation basically. The women gave me a schedule for the first 3 day but I’m assuming my third day I’ll get the official schedule. What’s the schedule like

7 minutes ago, Ryan98 said:

Thanks so I will definitely keep a notepad on hand at all times.I see  it’s a lot of information first week just orientation basically. The women gave me a schedule for the first 3 day but I’m assuming my third day I’ll get the official schedule. What’s the schedule like

the schedule varies depending on how big the induction group is not everyone will have the same schedule

35 minutes ago, Bapo007 said:

Anybody have any tips to climbing the train for a height challenged person? 

Not in transit but another MTA agency, for climbing up equipment, get close to the equipment as much as possible and make sure you have a good grip with two hands (pause.) to leverage yourself up there. As for coming back down from equipment, make sure your leg extends as far down as possible with the tip of your toes pointed downward so that you have to best chance to feel the ground and shift your body weight if need be. Take off your backpack and put it directly on the train so you have better balance and always make sure you have a footing or grip and maintain those three points of contact. 

17 hours ago, Bapo007 said:

Anybody have any tips to climbing the train for a height challenged person? 

Take your time. Its not a race. Pay attention to all the points of contact u have access to FIRST. Do ONE thing at a time that way U don't slip or miss a step or a handle because you're being desperate. 9/10 theyll send u to the A division if u have a hard time getting up on the B division trains which are taller than the A division trains. Trust me u can do it. You aren't the only short T/O or C/R. If they can do it, u can do it. Just take your time.

• 2 weeks later...

This is for the newly hired folks or XX folks..

XX Employees are supposed to call the Crew Office on Friday(or Saturday) to confirm their tour and RDOs for the following week..

Even if it’s been the same for weeks or months, make the call assume nothing..

DO NOT TRUST insight or the IVR....

Too many AWOLS and wake up calls....

The most used excuse at 2 Broadway..

"The RDOs and Tours have been the same for months"

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a temporary vacancy job, expect at anytime for the original person will resume. Also don’t look for anybody to inform you they returned. It happened to me last year, so I know from experience. If I wasn’t in the habit of checking MTA insight, I wouldn’t have known and shown up to work that Sunday for no reason. So once again, keep on top of that to avoid problems especially AWOLs

On 2/22/2024 at 9:11 PM, goliver28 said:

If you have a temporary vacancy job, expect at anytime for the original person will resume. Also don’t look for anybody to inform you they returned. It happened to me last year, so I know from experience. If I wasn’t in the habit of checking MTA insight, I wouldn’t have known and shown up to work that Sunday for no reason. So once again, keep on top of that to avoid problems especially AWOLs

For all this place does to help there are things one needs to find out on ones own.. Good advice..

• 2 weeks later...

So, to keep this threat at the top, let’s talk Job picking.

Here is one fact about picking you should know… it is such a long process, because everyone, and I DO mean EVERYONE, gets their turn, that even though our current pick only went into effect in the middle of December… we started picking the NEXT pick, for the back half of 2024, over a month ago.

The A division picks first, and then B goes. A started first week of February and they’ve got another week and a half left.

Over here in the B Div they start picking in April..

Most likely the (F)line will prob go back to how it was before 63rd street shutdown.

Me? Ill pick whichever switching Job interests me is how I'm looking at it now done with the road...

On 2/5/2024 at 9:02 AM, RTOMan said:

This is for the newly hired folks or XX folks..

XX Employees are supposed to call the Crew Office on Friday(or Saturday) to confirm their tour and RDOs for the following week..

Even if it’s been the same for weeks or months, make the call assume nothing..

DO NOT TRUST insight or the IVR....

Too many AWOLS and wake up calls....

The most used excuse at 2 Broadway..

"The RDOs and Tours have been the same for months"

I came here specifically to prove your point. My RDOs were Thursday & Friday for 5 straight months. This is my vacation week and I went on MTA insight to check picked jobs where I can see my RDOs for next week. You’re absolutely right. Never assume even if it’s been for weeks or months. My RDOs next week are Sunday & Saturday. 

I'll never forget..I had TW for 4 months. I got a couple avas approved around my RDOs to make a mini break for myself and just relax for 4 days. Week of my mini-vacation suddenly RDOs became FS and f**ked my whole shit up. Ended up working Wed which should have been my day off and instead it was my 7th day in a row(I canceled the Monday AVA because it didn't make sense to use up a single day in th middle of it). That Wednesday, completely burnt out and looking forward to my TFS 3 day break, I overran a station 😂. Thanks screw office.

4 minutes ago, beanz said:

I'll never forget..I had TW for 4 months. I got a couple avas approved around my RDOs to make a mini break for myself and just relax for 4 days. Week of my mini-vacation suddenly RDOs became FS and f**ked my whole shit up. Ended up working Wed which should have been my day off and instead it was my 7th day in a row(I canceled the Monday AVA because it didn't make sense to use up a single day in th middle of it). That Wednesday, completely burnt out and looking forward to my TFS 3 day break, I overran a station 😂. Thanks screw office.

They pulled that chit with me TWICE when i was XX....<_<

31 minutes ago, goliver28 said:

I came here specifically to prove your point. My RDOs were Thursday & Friday for 5 straight months. This is my vacation week and I went on MTA insight to check picked jobs where I can see my RDOs for next week. You’re absolutely right. Never assume even if it’s been for weeks or months. My RDOs next week are Sunday & Saturday. 

See that Chit right there and i have found out when there's holidays or lots of new folks out they eff with them RDOs....

On 3/8/2024 at 10:58 AM, RTOMan said:

See that Chit right there and i have found out when there's holidays or lots of new folks out they eff with them RDOs....

Effing with my RDOs is one thing but if they eff with my tour like they did last year I’ll be pissed. 

1 hour ago, goliver28 said:

Effing with my RDOs is one thing but if they eff with my tour like they did last year I’ll be pissed. 

They changed my tour when i was XX from PMs to AMs which kicked rocks i beefed about it but no dice..

Then left it at that till i was able to pick..

Which was what i wanted PMS...

Strangely for me, they only changed my RDOs once, and that was only for the week before a pick. I was TF my first pick out, working PMs.

they moved me to FS for a week, still PMs, before the second pick started and I was SS Midnights. But come Pick 3… I was so high on the XX list I was SS AMs.

They never changed my tours.

and now I’m an XL so they can’t.