The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/13/2022 at 11:32 AM, RTOMan said:

If you are working on the F Line and you are on 4 trk at CTL you punch "LOCAL" all times especially during the rush hour (unless informed otherwise).

At Briarwood on 2 track you punch "F"  and you will get a green over green homesignal.. 

There's route cards on the wall staring right at you at that station....

Reason for this?

Two Wrong Line ups on the same day one at CTL (TO Punched express on probation) and the other at Briarwood(TO was extra extra and had a student which is really pissing them off).

You go past a point of no return you will be taken out of service period...

Its not a race to the finish line  folks....

Correction in CBTC Mode you'll get that "Diverging" Yellow on the CBTC TOD Screen just above the "ATPM"  leaving CTL on 4 track...

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1: School Car for Conductors

Okay finally finished Day 1 of School Car and as mentioned earlier I'll keep updating this specifically catered to conductors and keep up with recent time. We got to PS 248 at 7am and overall it was a pretty slow day, was basically a huge Q and A about the job, what to expect and some review on safety components. We were able to pick our division today and I got lucky to get the B division! There were 53 conductors there and the RTOs said most of us where going to A due to need and budget, so about 14 made it to B and the rest had to go to A. There were a lot more little details about the job if you have questions about just message me as I don't want to bombard this thread with the boring things. Other then that see you guys tomorrow for Day 2. 

P.S. Thank you @mediccjh for even creating this topic because it has helped tremendously to not go into training with no knowledge. 

Day 2: School Car for Conductors

Day 2 was over Zoom and mostly about understanding our benefits, retirement plans, compensation, speaking with somebody from the union, securtity and getting into our MTA portal account. Today was definitely informative regarding the benefits! I will see you guys tomorrow for Day 3, we're going to the TWU Union Hall.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, Chris8 said:

Day 1: School Car for Conductors

Okay finally finished Day 1 of School Car and as mentioned earlier I'll keep updating this specifically catered to conductors and keep up with recent time. We got to PS 248 at 7am and overall it was a pretty slow day, was basically a huge Q and A about the job, what to expect and some review on safety components. We were able to pick our division today and I got lucky to get the B division! There were 53 conductors there and the RTOs said most of us where going to A due to need and budget, so about 14 made it to B and the rest had to go to A. There were a lot more little details about the job if you have questions about just message me as I don't want to bombard this thread with the boring things. Other then that see you guys tomorrow for Day 2. 

P.S. Thank you @mediccjh for even creating this topic because it has helped tremendously to not go into training with no knowledge. 

He's a good man....

Day 3: School Car for Conductor

Sorry about the delay, was busy last night and didn't have time to post. Yesterday consisted of us going to the TWU Hall and speaking with a variety of different people within the Union. It was a very informative day. We went over the history of the union, benefits that the union offers us (Life, Disability, dental and vision), what to do when we need assistance from the union, and even help when we need legal representation. We also got our IDs and got measured for our uniform as well. Jesse Argueta and Canella Gomez came to speak with us about the job which was some great insight. D'Artagnan and Norma also were great help from the union. Today we're going to Stillwell and taking a tour of the yard and I can't wait for that! 

Day 4: School Car for Conductors

For Day 4 we were at P.S 248 and we got our PPE equipment (Vest, gloves, safety glasses). We also got to go to the Coney Island train yard and do the climb test for all conductors! The trains are huge on the track in comparison to when you’re on the station. I believe we climbed a R68, but all 50+ Conductors passed the climb but one which I’m sure they’ll make it on the A division train soon. After that we just did some review for our first quiz tomorrow on the 38 rules. 

Day 5: School Car for Conductor

Alright first week of School Car is complete! Friday we took our quiz on the Rules and Regulation and everybody passed. After that we we're given all our books and honestly it's not as bad as I thought terms of weight. The only book that's heavy is our Conductor Induction Guide but everything else is pretty thin. We we're also given are tools (Skeleton Key, Allen key, badge) and finally our schedule for the summer. I got TSS Nierer and TSS Reynoso as my instructors for the B division and I can't wait to finally start hitting the books and learning the job. I report to 34th St. Monday to pick up the rest of our gear and then East New York Yard to learn doorops and cutouts. Enjoy the weekend! 

3 hours ago, Chris8 said:

Day 5: School Car for Conductor

Alright first week of School Car is complete! Friday we took our quiz on the Rules and Regulation and everybody passed. After that we we're given all our books and honestly it's not as bad as I thought terms of weight. The only book that's heavy is our Conductor Induction Guide but everything else is pretty thin. We we're also given are tools (Skeleton Key, Allen key, badge) and finally our schedule for the summer. I got TSS Nierer and TSS Reynoso as my instructors for the B division and I can't wait to finally start hitting the books and learning the job. I report to 34th St. Monday to pick up the rest of our gear and then East New York Yard to learn doorops and cutouts. Enjoy the weekend! 

i wish i was still in school car and i wish i got a badge

Day 6: School Car for Conductor

Day 6 was our first day of a real class setting and I loved it. We went to 34th st to pick up the rest of our PPE (Flashlight, Radio, Mask) then we all went to Jamaica Yard and went over the first 3 units of the induction books. It was mostly definitions about track layout, safety procedures, the conductor indication board and went over some basic signaling. Today we're going to East New York Yard to learn about the R179 and start door ops and Cutouts. 

Day 7: School Car for Conductors

Day 7 was at East New York Yard and we learned about the R179s. We went over the ins and outs of the car and was finally able to practice door ops and make announcements. We also reviewed the layout of yards and how to find trains we're assigned to. We also got a chance to walk the tower and goddamn, props to the Tower Dispatcher cause their job looks intense lol. 

Day 8: School Car for Conductors

Day 8 we were at Canarsie Yard and we learned about the R143. Very similar to the R179s but all new techs seem to be the same other then some slight differences. We did more practice announcements and learned procedure when leaving a terminal. Other things that we just brushed over but didn't dive into were door cut outs, how to pre-inspect your car and using the radio. 

On 6/2/2022 at 11:35 PM, Chris8 said:

Day 4: School Car for Conductors

For Day 4 we were at P.S 248 and we got our PPE equipment (Vest, gloves, safety glasses). We also got to go to the Coney Island train yard and do the climb test for all conductors! The trains are huge on the track in comparison to when you’re on the station. I believe we climbed a R68, but all 50+ Conductors passed the climb but one which I’m sure they’ll make it on the A division train soon. After that we just did some review for our first quiz tomorrow on the 38 rules. 

How does one even climb an r68? that anticlimber is only at the door and it seems like a herculean task

On 6/14/2022 at 8:15 PM, Comrade96 said:

How does one even climb an r68? that anticlimber is only at the door and it seems like a herculean task

Trust me it's not bad at all, you just need to keep 3 points of contact. If you can't climb the first time, you get a chance over at the A Division train which are smaller and easier to climb.  

• 3 weeks later...

Since Chris hasn't updated this in a while, I guess I will. The two of us have been in the same class, BTW.

While we have had a relatively straight forward experience, it hasn't been without it's moments, mostly from the other classes.

One of the IRT classes, someone dislocated their finger while dezoning. Another rolled their ankle climbing down. 

Thursday was our yard practical test, on an R68A down in Coney Island Yard. 7 out of our class of 10 passed that test. To be able to continue, the three who did not pass have to retake it sometime in the coming weeks. The first go around you simply take the test with another class' TSSs. since there are two B division classes, we simply swapped. Four from the other group failed as well, for a total of 7 our of 20 who now need to do it with a Superintendent grading them.

Friday was our "pen and paper" mid term. Everyone passed that, thankfully. The retake for that replacing the 38 multiple choice questions with 38 write in answer questions on top of the 2 we already had. 

We have off on Monday (meaning working Saturday because they moved our day off), for the 4th. On Tuesday, we have a 12 hour day that includes the Third rail jumper cable training course. Wednesday is our last class together. we meet at East New York Yard and go on one last Road Op trip. This Thursday... we are set loose. 

Road Posting. actually working on passenger trains with passengers on them. It going to be amazing... just happens we all got assigned early AM report times. between 0500 and 0700. the exceptions for me are 7:45 on the A and an 8:30 on the L.  

11 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Since Chris hasn't updated this in a while, I guess I will. The two of us have been in the same class, BTW.

While we have had a relatively straight forward experience, it hasn't been without it's moments, mostly from the other classes.

One of the IRT classes, someone dislocated their finger while dezoning. Another rolled their ankle climbing down. 

Thursday was our yard practical test, on an R68A down in Coney Island Yard. 7 out of our class of 10 passed that test. To be able to continue, the three who did not pass have to retake it sometime in the coming weeks. The first go around you simply take the test with another class' TSSs. since there are two B division classes, we simply swapped. Four from the other group failed as well, for a total of 7 our of 20 who now need to do it with a Superintendent grading them.

Friday was our "pen and paper" mid term. Everyone passed that, thankfully. The retake for that replacing the 38 multiple choice questions with 38 write in answer questions on top of the 2 we already had. 

We have off on Monday (meaning working Saturday because they moved our day off), for the 4th. On Tuesday, we have a 12 hour day that includes the Third rail jumper cable training course. Wednesday is our last class together. we meet at East New York Yard and go on one last Road Op trip. This Thursday... we are set loose. 

Road Posting. actually working on passenger trains with passengers on them. It going to be amazing... just happens we all got assigned early AM report times. between 0500 and 0700. the exceptions for me are 7:45 on the A and an 8:30 on the L.  

When did you get your posting schedule? My class starts posting on Wednesday still haven't received schedule

Edited by Afs

3 hours ago, Afs said:

When did you get your posting schedule? My class starts posting on Wednesday still haven't received schedule

We got ours after the “right to know” stuff after we finished the midterms.

Damn some of those were old. 
Really… any bio-hazard control instructional videos still out there made before medical science discovered how to treat and manage HIV really should not be shown anymore… triggered my long dormant aichmophobia (fear of sharp objects).

10 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

We got ours after the “right to know” stuff after we finished the midterms.

Damn some of those were old. 
Really… any bio-hazard control instructional videos still out there made before medical science discovered how to treat and manage HIV really should not be shown anymore… triggered my long dormant aichmophobia (fear of sharp objects).

Prepare to spend your next 25 to 30 years with Chuck & Mullet Lady! (If they don't ever decide to phase out those videos)

So… today was … something else.

we report to PS 248 at 7AM. They bunch us into a class room, all 20 B division people from my induction group.

first sign this was going to be “one of those days” was an unfamiliar face. Long story short a miscommunication on the A division side resulted in on of thier guys ended up at pS248 instead of where his class was in the Bronx. He was allowed to join us for the day.

We spent all day calling the poor man “A Division Guy”.

so it’s 7AM… we’re all waiting… and waiting… and waiting… turns out one of the our instructor TSS got picked for a Random and was over at the MAC.

she didn’t get back till about 9:30.

we were supposed to be doing the jumper cables at 38th street yard, so we walked over to the D train at 25th avenue.

we’re waiting for the northbound D when the TSSs figure “we should call 38th, make sure they know we’re coming.”

only to be told the yard is under a GO and third rail power is off for two weeks.

So they diced “screw it, let’s just do it in Coney Island Yard”.

so we go to the other platform to get the D to CI, and then take the N to 86th to use the back entrance to the yard.

we’re crossing over between the platforms at Stillwell Avenue when we notice someone hanging caution tape on the top of the stairs to the N.

turns out there was another GO in our way…

we ended up taking the shuttle bus, who was nice enough to drop us off at the yard entrance.

we cross the yard and spend a good half an hour at the crew room waiting.

we are brought back outside and led to a train. Turns out it was “other than head car operations”.

the TSSs figure “let’s just use this train and bring the cables here.” We sat there a while; to the point many folks were nodding off.

they take us off the train and back to the tower for more waiting before we get told to take an hour for lunch.

come back and finally get to use the jumpers… which procced to melt in our hands.

and all of this was filled by a three hour long anti-terror lecture.

nothing quite like ending a long, physically exhausting day with an emotionally exhausting topic about the world we live in…

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

So… today was … something else.

we report to PS 248 at 7AM. They bunch us into a class room, all 20 B division people from my induction group.

first sign this was going to be “one of those days” was an unfamiliar face. Long story short a miscommunication on the A division side resulted in on of thier guys ended up at pS248 instead of where his class was in the Bronx. He was allowed to join us for the day.

We spent all day calling the poor man “A Division Guy”.

so it’s 7AM… we’re all waiting… and waiting… and waiting… turns out one of the our instructor TSS got picked for a Random and was over at the MAC.

she didn’t get back till about 9:30.

we were supposed to be doing the jumper cables at 38th street yard, so we walked over to the D train at 25th avenue.

we’re waiting for the northbound D when the TSSs figure “we should call 38th, make sure they know we’re coming.”

only to be told the yard is under a GO and third rail power is off for two weeks.

So they diced “screw it, let’s just do it in Coney Island Yard”.

so we go to the other platform to get the D to CI, and then take the N to 86th to use the back entrance to the yard.

we’re crossing over between the platforms at Stillwell Avenue when we notice someone hanging caution tape on the top of the stairs to the N.

turns out there was another GO in our way…

we ended up taking the shuttle bus, who was nice enough to drop us off at the yard entrance.

we cross the yard and spend a good half an hour at the crew room waiting.

we are brought back outside and led to a train. Turns out it was “other than head car operations”.

the TSSs figure “let’s just use this train and bring the cables here.” We sat there a while; to the point many folks were nodding off.

they take us off the train and back to the tower for more waiting before we get told to take an hour for lunch.

come back and finally get to use the jumpers… which procced to melt in our hands.

and all of this was filled by a three hour long anti-terror lecture.

nothing quite like ending a long, physically exhausting day with an emotionally exhausting topic about the world we live in…

Pretty concerning that the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing...I'd hope for better communication! And what do you mean the jumpers melted in your hand LOL?? That sounds terrifying!

Well, tomorrow is the day… we’re set loose. Posting time is here.

14 lines, 14 days.

21 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Pretty concerning that the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing...I'd hope for better communication! And what do you mean the jumpers melted in your hand LOL?? That sounds terrifying!

What I mean is what I said. I’m a rather literal kinda girl. 

the plastic that surrounds the metal pins that’s transfer the current were melting. I had to give it a rather good yank to ge my end off the third rail.