The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

All you folks starting will get this info during your time in Schoolcar and as for you new people.. 

Ill say this is caps to get my point across....

DO NOT TRY TO MOVE ANYTHING FROM UNDER THAT TRAIN IF ITS UNSAFE, ESPEICALLY IF THE DEBRIE THAT PLACED YOUR TRAIN IN EMEGERENCY IS CLOSE TO THAT THRID RAIL..

Now that being said here why i said this taken from a safety advisory bulletin no188-22 (You know those things we are supposed to keep on top of as RTO folks)....

On December 10, 2022, a 3  train traveling north entering Nevins Street station went Brakes in Emergency (BIE). The Train Operator (TIO) descended to the roadbed to investigate and observed a debris bag which the TO attempted to remove. The TO was subsequently severely injured when sparks from some object touching the third rail caused serious burns(second degree) to the TO's face and hands. This incident is under active investigation, but this advisory is to remind all employees to practice situational awareness at all times. 

This is a horrible situation and i feel awful for this TO but please people use common sense down here if it is Unsafe DO NOT do it.. Do not let RCC "use scare tactics" stand your ground.

Edited by RTOMan

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/4/2022 at 4:08 PM, Apes said:

Day 5: School Car for Conductor

Alright first week of School Car is complete! Friday we took our quiz on the Rules and Regulation and everybody passed. After that we we're given all our books and honestly it's not as bad as I thought terms of weight. The only book that's heavy is our Conductor Induction Guide but everything else is pretty thin. We we're also given are tools (Skeleton Key, Allen key, badge) and finally our schedule for the summer. I got TSS Nierer and TSS Reynoso as my instructors for the B division and I can't wait to finally start hitting the books and learning the job. I report to 34th St. Monday to pick up the rest of our gear and then East New York Yard to learn doorops and cutouts. Enjoy the weekend! 

Are there any particular backpacks you recommend? I start schoolcar in Jan and I wanted to prepare

7 hours ago, Faisal said:

Are there any particular backpacks you recommend? I start schoolcar in Jan and I wanted to prepare

Honestly I don't recommended the kaka bag but that's just me. You can actually bring any type of bookbag you want to school car. Just remember when you're walking the yard/crossing tracks you'll need to carry it by hand. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 11:35 PM, Apes said:

Day 4: School Car for Conductors

For Day 4 we were at P.S 248 and we got our PPE equipment (Vest, gloves, safety glasses). We also got to go to the Coney Island train yard and do the climb test for all conductors! The trains are huge on the track in comparison to when you’re on the station. I believe we climbed a R68, but all 50+ Conductors passed the climb but one which I’m sure they’ll make it on the A division train soon. After that we just did some review for our first quiz tomorrow on the 38 rules. 

I’m nervous about the climbing part..I’m on the short side,about 5ft..about how tall from the ground is that first step?

12 minutes ago, ONELUVNAY said:

I’m nervous about the climbing part..I’m on the short side,about 5ft..about how tall from the ground is that first step?

The TSS will let you step on the rail to give you a "boost" but the B division trains are higher then the A. If you're in the B division and can't climb the train they'll give you a chance on the A. There are short people in transit so I'm sure you can do it! 

36 minutes ago, Apes said:

The TSS will let you step on the rail to give you a "boost" but the B division trains are higher then the A. If you're in the B division and can't climb the train they'll give you a chance on the A. There are short people in transit so I'm sure you can do it! 

Thank you for the info..been waiting how ever long to get this job/career,don’t want something like not being able to climb the train mess me up.thanks again

9 hours ago, ONELUVNAY said:

Thank you for the info..been waiting how ever long to get this job/career,don’t want something like not being able to climb the train mess me up.thanks again

we had short dudes in our class able to make the climb, im sure youll be able to do it as well.

I was hella nervous too for other reasons of the climb but I made it

On 12/22/2022 at 5:51 PM, Faisal said:

Just dont do what F337 CR does ( folks in the B Div know him as Ben Franklin)...

Nice guy but a slow CR....

Man has a suitcase and a Big bag....

Edited by RTOMan

11 minutes ago, zero3012 said:

Hello I have a question.. is there anything wrong about having pick up location # 25 (59th street, Columbus Circle)?  I live in Jersey and thought it would be easier since I normally pass by TimeSquare. Is it a 24hr location?

it should be im not 100% sure, now would be a good time to set up that direct deposit

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, zero3012 said:

After posting, I noticed that I am going to be needing some hearing protection. I tried the ear plug that was given out at schoolcar and it wasn’t that great. 

does anyone recommend any specific Safety Earmuffs that is sold at Amazon?

wear some good earbuds. that works for me.  the noise canceling is god send.  if u see a TSS just pull those suckers out and no one will be the wiser.  but warning:  once u go THUG you aint getting no HUGS

17 hours ago, trackerjack said:

wear some good earbuds. that works for me.  the noise canceling is god send.  if u see a TSS just pull those suckers out and no one will be the wiser.  but warning:  once u go THUG you aint getting no HUGS

…and that’s how you end up at 2 Broadway. 

Earplugs good. Earbuds bad. 

On 3/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, trackerjack said:

Sir.  What is your PASS #????
Respond to the direct message I sent you.  (Or we will find you).
We are going to have a very long discussion...

• 3 weeks later...

Crew Room Lawyer (def) Usually the loudest person in the Crew Room (or on the Forums), a person who hates their job, who gets in trouble for doing things they aren't supposed to, and passes on bad advice to rookies.

To the new people coming down here, some advice, as I was in your shoes once before, and have never forgotten that:

Avoid the Crew Room Lawyers.

If you have questions about things, find the people who actually know what they're talking about (like @RTOMan). 

And as I tell all the rookies I come across, if you see me in passing and need to pick my brain about something, feel free to do so. I don't bite (usually). 

On 3/31/2023 at 1:11 PM, mediccjh said:

Crew Room Lawyer (def) Usually the loudest person in the Crew Room (or on the Forums), a person who hates their job, who gets in trouble for doing things they aren't supposed to, and passes on bad advice to rookies.

To the new people coming down here, some advice, as I was in your shoes once before, and have never forgotten that:

Avoid the Crew Room Lawyers.

If you have questions about things, find the people who actually know what they're talking about (like @RTOMan). 

And as I tell all the rookies I come across, if you see me in passing and need to pick my brain about something, feel free to do so. I don't bite (usually). 

I avoided them like the plague when I started and we didn’t have the internet access that’s out here now…. Sad thing I’m seeing there folks with not a lot of time down here telling folks things and those folks don’t know themselves….

• 2 weeks later...