Hostess, maker of Twinkies, Wonder Bread, etc. set to go out of business

Shortline Bus

hostess.jpg

"And you thought the gas shortage was bad.

There was a desperate run on Twinkies after Hostess announced Friday it’s going out of business amid bankruptcy and labor strife.

The company’s outlet in Queens was stripped bare of the creme-filled golden sponge cake and snacks like Sno Balls, Ding Dongs, Devil Dogs and Ho Ho’s.

Boxes of Twinkies were being hawked on eBay for thousands of dollars, and New Yorkers were facing a future without Drake’s cake or Wonder Bread.

“We just spent $100 on Twinkies,” said Shauna Miles, 33. “Tomorrow we’re gonna wake up with diabetes.”

She chuckled at the sight of sugar addicts stocking up.

“First everybody was going crazy over gas. Now we’re losing our minds over cupcakes,” Miles said.

Hostess may sell some of the most popular brands and recipes, but that won’t help 18,500 workers getting the ax.

“It’s a lot of people out of a job at the wrong time. Christmas is coming,” said Deomarin Dhanna, who works at the outlet store in Jamaica."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/twinkie-maker-hostess-close-cites-nationwide-worker-strike-article-1.1203105#ixzz2CRRZQ42S

This was mentioned briefly in the off-topic random thoughts thread, glad there is a thread now.

Anyway, I knew this was eminent. A somewhat near (to me) distribution center in Chino, CA ceased operation in 2004. That DC alone supplied roughly 70% of California's product, and at the time of shutdown, product was limited and selection decreased. Then one of California's large Wonder/Hostess retail outlet chain franchises went under in '08. There is one local hold out though.

As sad as this is, had I been employed under Hostess, I wouldn't see my job as a gurantee.

Well, I'll call my local outlet and see if all the fans haven't taken all their stock yet. Might even get a discount ;)

My hatred for Hostess products aside, hearing this made me feel a little bit sad. Hostess is a pop culture icon, especially the Twinkie (its most famous product). It's a company full of products adored through generations, kids, adults, and elderly alike. So it's rather disappointing to see their products no longer being made.

So Twinkies can survive WW3, but the Unions in this case bankrupts the company (indirectly)? Great job... now the company is gone and thousands are out of work to collect unemployment checks. Great going!

NHL, I hope this teaches you a lesson: get your shit together already or this can be you.

Keep in mind that only a small fraction of workers actually belonged to the union thst now killed Hostess.

I'm normally a union supporter, but they were just being asinine. So rather than getting better jobs, you have no job.

EDIT: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/relax-twinkies-likely-live-1C7121954

It is true, there is much value in the brands, and I know Entenmann's or other competitors will not hesitate in buying them.

I'm normally a union supporter, but they were just being asinine. So rather than getting better jobs, you have no job.

EDIT: http://www.nbcnews.c...-live-1C7121954

It is true, there is much value in the brands, and I know Entenmann's or other competitors will not hesitate in buying them.

I am sure another company i.e Philadelphia's own "Tasty Kake" ( FYI I actually enjoy now more for my occasional 'junk food' splash lol)or entenmann's will buy the twinkies brand. You can't buy all of this media attention. :o

Hostess maybe gone for good but I be surprised if Twinkies is not very soon with another company. :lol:

Archived