Rebuilding South Ferry

Via Garibaldi 8

Why nitpick? That's how I am. A very literal person. I'd rather hear the proper words when describing something. There may be a name for that somewhere...

Well, you're the only one who seems to care. Everyone else seems to have gotten the point - 91 was not closed because of a disaster.

My proof is in the recent past. When the WTC Section of the (1) line was destroyed, it was opened up within a year. Way earlier than originally estimated. The Chambers Street (A)(C) station fire in the signal room. It was originally estimated to take 3-5 years to fix and was completed sometime around 6-9 months afterward. South Ferry is no exception .It's an extremely important transfer point. I'm sure they will have it fixed up in no time.

A nice anecdote, but the fire damage in the Chambers signal room was repaired with spare parts, unless I'm much mistaken. As Dan already mentioned:

The south ferry incident cannot even be compaired to the chambers street fire. All of the electical equipment in station is damaged, and has to be taken out completely and replaced. That alone is probaby gonna at least take 1 1/2 years to fix.

Not to mention they are still deliberating over whether or not they should move the relay rooms to higher ground.

Also, do you think the MTA is going to pay attention to South Ferry, a station with two others in the area that can be used as alternate routes, or the Rockaways, which are isolated and pretty much have no alternatives?

How is that not offensive? Anyway ive seen the pics. Theres not much damgae.

The pics don't illustrate the corrosion caused to the electrical components - that's the big issue. And the article said,

"A simple cleanup wouldn't suffice" to restore the station"

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all know that salt water and electricity don't mix. As someone pointed out, the electrical components can, and will, be replaced. I realize that many posters have no construction experience so I'd like to point out that salt and salt water are very corrosive to concrete and cement. Think about the potholes and sinkholes that appear after the streets are salted down in winter. It's not always the visible damage that causes the major problem in rebuilding. I've done construction and rehab work in my life while many posters seem to be focused on the cosmetic, simple fixes. Thank you Cait for pointing that out.. Carry on.

Ok, so how about you go there yourself and start messing around with stuff since you apparently know how damaged the station is....pictures don't always tell the FULL story you know....

Absolutely!

When I first saw the pics, I thought "Oh, it's not so badly damaged."  We of course now know otherwise how much damage that station really has.

And I agree, the Rockaways are the priority right now.

Well it was'nt directly stated in the article but the MTA spokepersons did say re-opening the loop is not a money issue. Therefore it may be possible they will allocate the federal grants through FEMA to actually make this a reality. I was quite suprised by that when I read that article DJ MC provided.

Actually, that's not entirely true. If they're so inclined, the MTA could always do a feasibility study on how much it'd cost to bring back the loop station temporarily, both money and time, and release those findings to the public. If the costs are projected to be at or near the cost of bringing back the new station, because remember, the new station has to be brought back for reasons I already mentioned in this thread, the agency can effectively tell these politicians to take their ideas and shove it.

Then I guess the only real way this can really happen then is if the pressure by the public is great enough to convince the MTA that they must seriously consider rebuilding the loop quickly, despite the costs of doing so.

Wallyhorse can set this off. He should start a blog on this and set up a petition persuading the MTA, City of New York and Albany to figure this out.

I still am confused about the reasons for all this service to the South Ferry area proposed by him... the neighborhood is quite safe, and anyone who is paranoid about walking around is just going to have to suck it up like an adult.

Wallyhorse isn't as zany with his proposals then I've previosly thought. Because the MTA was actually considering this all along?  WTF? He must have insiders working with him with the grand master plan to revive the IND Second System, that's next. Keep your eyes peeled and stay tuned on the capital program updates on mta.info lol.

You're giving him way too much credit. Wally is just some guy throwing around stupid proposals, and by coincidence his prediction of "a public outcry for a reopening of the loop" came true.

I don't see why everyone's so excited, also. There's no guarantee that the loop will be reopened, for one.

Guys I was'nt serious. I'm just goofing off in this thread tonight.

In all seriousness, the back and forth between the MTAspokeswoman Deidre Parker, Staten Island's representative to the MTA board, Allen P. Cappelli and Interim Executive Director Thomas Prendergast (Who is a Staten island resident) over the rebuilding and bringing back of the loop indicates that the idea will end up as being a political football tossed around which will never get anywhere. Parker clearly indicated that the MTA will not divert funds from rebuilding the new station in trying to recommission the old SF loop.

Well it was'nt directly stated in the article but the MTA spokepersons did say re-opening the loop is not a money issue. Therefore it may be possible they will allocate the federal grants through FEMA to actually make this a reality. I was quite suprised by that when I read that article DJ MC provided.

Wouldn't shock me if the (MTA) is taken to court to try to force them to get the old SF station re-opened as a short-term solution even if it delays getting current SF reopened, as many constituents are likely more concerned about the here and now as opposed to the long run.

And I would think if they were forced to do work to get old SF reopened, they could get additional funds for that since this would have been as a result of Sandy. 

You're giving him way too much credit. Wally is just some guy throwing around stupid proposals, and by coincidence his prediction of "a public outcry for a reopening of the loop" came true.

I don't see why everyone's so excited, also. There's no guarantee that the loop will be reopened, for one.

No, you are reading too much into it. We know him way before you did on another forum. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Basically it can happen, but its not because of any insider info.

I guess I've inadvertently opened up a can of worms again. Hindsight is 20/20 as the saying goes....

I still am confused about the reasons for all this service to the South Ferry area proposed by him... the neighborhood is quite safe, and anyone who is paranoid about walking around is just going to have to suck it up like an adult.

err if wallyhorse is right you owe him an apology cause then it means you all got BURNED!!!

No, you are reading too much into it. We know him way before you did on another forum. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Basically it can happen, but its not because of any insider info.

If south ferry loop opens you will just sit down and be quiet Heck I'd love to see your reaction.

If it does you got PAWNED!!!!

Archived