Rebuilding South Ferry

Via Garibaldi 8

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="T to Dyre Avenue" data-cid="634921" data-time="1358708028"><p>

I really think that's something worth considering along with a connection to the (R) at its Rector St stop. The two Rector St stations are very close to each other and I wonder why a transfer between the (R) and (1) at Rector wasn't seriously considered in the first place.</p></blockquote> Explain why there isn't a transfer at Penn Station between (A)(C)(E) and the (1)(2)(3)...... :rolleyes:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="T to Dyre Avenue" data-cid="634921" data-time="1358708028"><p>

I really think that's something worth considering along with a connection to the (R) at its Rector St stop. The two Rector St stations are very close to each other and I wonder why a transfer between the (R) and (1) at Rector wasn't seriously considered in the first place.</p></blockquote> Are you talking about a in system tranfser or Free out of system transfer with a MetroCard?

People seem to forget, the walk drom Rector Street is literally 4 minutes. It's just a block further than Bowling green. Not much of an issue.

It's an issue when it's bone-chilling cold outside and/or it's raining/snowing outside.  That 4 mins u talk about will feel like 40.  When it comes to South Ferry, thank goodness for alternatives.

They should add a cross-under at rector and drop the station. It doesn't seem worth the money.

That makes no sense.  The money you will spend for this "cross-under" for Rector St would be better served just rebuilding the South Ferry Station.  

It's an issue when it's bone-chilling cold outside and/or it's raining/snowing outside.  That 4 mins u talk about will feel like 40.  When it comes to South Ferry, thank goodness for alternatives.

That makes no sense.  The money you will spend for this "cross-under" for Rector St would be better served just rebuilding the South Ferry Station.  

It's also redundant, hence why they made the transfer at South Ferry to begin with!

And that walk is a lil more than 4 minutes, its about...6-10 in that range. For someone that has to catch the ferry(which is my priority 99.9% of the time), those few minutes are critical!

It's also redundant, hence why they made the transfer at South Ferry to begin with!

And that walk is a lil more than 4 minutes, its about...6-10 in that range. For someone that has to catch the ferry(which is my priority 99.9% of the time), those few minutes are critical!

Very critical.  I've done the walk in the past and it is around 10 mins give or take and that's why I don't tell people to stay on to Rector St to get to the Ferry

It will cost $600 million (the preliminary estimate for rebuilding South Ferry) to build a cross-under from the northbound to the southbound (1) platforms at Rector St? It can't be that much, not even with elevators. On the other hand, if takes 10 minutes to walk from Rector and Greenwich to the SI Ferry, then it's not really worth bothering with a cross-under at Rector.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Cait Sith" data-cid="634937" data-time="1358709422"><p>

<br />

It's also redundant, hence why they made the transfer at South Ferry to begin with!<br />

<br />

And that walk is a lil more than 4 minutes, its about...6-10 in that range. For someone that has to catch the ferry(which is my priority 99.9% of the time), those few minutes are critical!</p></blockquote> For that now one may have to leave earlier and allow more time for travel.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Cait Sith" data-cid="634937" data-time="1358709422"><p>

<br />

It's also redundant, hence why they made the transfer at South Ferry to begin with!<br />

<br />

And that walk is a lil more than 4 minutes, its about...6-10 in that range. For someone that has to catch the ferry(which is my priority 99.9% of the time), those few minutes are critical!</p></blockquote> For that now one may have to leave earlier and allow more time for travel.

Thats why we have alternatives

(4) & (5) to Bowling Green (My preferred choice since I have to take the (E) down)

(R) to Whitehall

The M5 and M15 to South Ferry.

I do NOT recommend taking that M20. The time it takes just for it to get down there & circle around Battery Park, you could miss TWO ferries when that's all said and done....

It will cost $600 million (the preliminary estimate for rebuilding South Ferry) to build a cross-under from the northbound to the southbound (1) platforms at Rector St? It can't be that much, not even with elevators. On the other hand, if takes 10 minutes to walk from Rector and Greenwich to the SI Ferry, then it's not really worth bothering with a cross-under at Rector.

If someone wants to go from to the uptown side of Rector St from the downtown side, they can stay on the (1) and go to the other side.  We can't kick folks off the train cause that's too time-consuming.  The (MTA) doesn't need to spend anymore money than they are already gonna have to spend.

<br />

<br />

You could say the same thing even if things were normal at South Ferry so that's a moot point.  As Cait Sith said, there are many alternatives so there isn't a big need to walk from Rector St to South Ferry, unless the passenger wants to do that.  

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Princelex" data-cid="634943" data-time="1358710246"><p>

If someone wants to go from to the uptown side of Rector St from the downtown side, they can stay on the (1) and go to the other side. We can't kick folks off the train cause that's too time-consuming. The (MTA) doesn't need to spend anymore money than they are already gonna have to spend.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

You could say the same thing even if things were normal at South Ferry so that's a moot point. As Cait Sith said, there are many alternatives so there isn't a big need to walk from Rector St to South Ferry, unless the passenger wants to do that.</p></blockquote> I also mean't to say plan ahead Using those alternatives.

Explain why there isn't a transfer at Penn Station between (A)(C)(E) and the (1)(2)(3)...... :rolleyes:

LIRR and the shops that lines that passageway. You still have 42nd and 14th sts. (unrelated to South Ferry):  why not add a connection bw both Chambers st stops as they are close by? imo, that's better than the Park Place transfer.

btw, is there something wrong with your* quoting? I see a bunch of <> instead of the 'quote box'. 

To add on to the point of the Bowling green stop, I do agree that that walk is much more preferred to get to the ferry than a bus. (So please no more mention of reusing the old BG shuttle platform or routing trains to BG from 7th av.)

=

oic, thanks. v

Then you walk faster. Simple. The cold has that power. I'm probably the boniest person here. I KNOW cold. I HATE cold. 

It's not even ten minutes. It's around 4 and I know this because I can finish the average song in the time it takes to get between the two. And those alternatives. If it involves a transfer, that's already most likely a 4-10 minute delay right there. The people that take the ferry are fast walkers like I am. It's the tourists that don't speed.

It's not even ten minutes. It's around 4 and I know this because I can finish the average song in the time it takes to get between the two. And those alternatives. If it involves a transfer, that's already most likely a 4-10 minute delay right there. The people that take the ferry are fast walkers like I am. It's the tourists that don't speed.

Well if thats the case, why do you think people cram over to the (R), (4) and (5)? So they can ensure themselves the connection!

Some folks dont think the same way as us. It also has to do with the timing, the (4) and (5) is almost perfectly timed with the ferry with two-five minutes to spare. I've heard people complain about missing their connection to the ferry from the (1). While the (4) and (5) are inevitably prone to delays, the connection is still very closely timed

City Hall (6) And South Ferry (1) Have the Same Closure Idea. Rebuilding them would take a lot of money. Cait is Right. It would be easier using the Buses (4)(W) And (R). As for the New Station What Needs To Be Replaced And What Is Broken? I don't see much damage expect for the Line Checker Located in the booth of the lower Platform.

Sorry I Wrote (W) by mistake. Ignore it.

Leave earlier... that's it. I don't see anything wrong with leaving the new SF closed forever. As Cait said, there are many alternatives. Why not run some (N) 's via the tunnel and mark it on the map. 

Well if thats the case, why do you think people cram over to the (R), (4) and (5)? So they can ensure themselves the connection!

Some folks dont think the same way as us. It also has to do with the timing, the (4) and (5) is almost perfectly timed with the ferry with two-five minutes to spare. I've heard people complain about missing their connection to the ferry from the (1). While the (4) and (5) are inevitably prone to delays, the connection is still very closely timed

Cram? Please. It stopped being "crammed" the moment the (1) started going to Rector street. What you see on the (4)(5)(R) is what it has always been from what I've seen since I moved to SI. Same with the (1) now. And Bowlig Green is only a block south of Rector Street station. So I don't know why people keep using THAT station as part of their defense.

Cram? Please. It stopped being "crammed" the moment the (1) started going to Rector street. What you see on the (4)(5)(R) is what it has always been from what I've seen since I moved to SI. Same with the (1) now. And Bowlig Green is only a block south of Rector Street station. So I don't know why people keep using THAT station as part of their defense.

Trust me, I use the (4) & (5) to get to Bowling Green whenever I frequent the ferry and I use those lines every day, there has definitely been an increase in passenger intake than normal and a lot more people getting out of Bowling Green than normal.

And again, not everyone thinks like us. The station may be a block further, but a lot of folks don't want to take that chance. People take the (1) to Rector to avoid the headache that is the (4) and (5). Others take the (4) and (5) along with the (R) to either get closer to the terminal & to ensure their connection to the ferry.

Also, the Battery Park exit/entrance of Bowling Green is only walking distance away from Ferry Terminal & Whitehall is just outside of the terminal, Rector is further and to some folks, that's a big deal. I do see where you are coming from and I'm not saying that you are wrong, after all, this is a friendly discussion, but I'm just saying that not everyone thinks the way we do with how we do our commutes.

Trust me, I use the (4) & (5) to get to Bowling Green whenever I frequent the ferry and I use those lines every day, there has definitely been an increase in passenger intake than normal and a lot more people getting out of Bowling Green than normal.

And again, not everyone thinks like us. The station may be a block further, but a lot of folks don't want to take that chance. People take the (1) to Rector to avoid the headache that is the (4) and (5). Others take the (4) and (5) along with the (R) to either get closer to the terminal & to ensure their connection to the ferry.

Also, the Battery Park exit/entrance of Bowling Green is only walking distance away from Ferry Terminal & Whitehall is just outside of the terminal, Rector is further and to some folks, that's a big deal. I do see where you are coming from, but I'm just saying that not everyone thinks the way we do with how we do our commutes.

Personally I prefer the (4)(5) over the (1) because the (1) the wait for the (2)(3) was a royal PITA and the (1) always had to wait around a bit with the old South Ferry station.  With the (4)(5) I feel like I had a better shot of getting the ferry, even with the longer walk.

Personally I prefer the (4)(5) over the (1) because the (1) the wait for the (2)(3) was a royal PITA and the (1) always had to wait around a bit with the old South Ferry station.  With the (4)(5) I feel like I had a better shot of getting the ferry, even with the longer walk.

Can we cut the subway bullets, so many, hurts my eyes. The wait is not too bad. 2 minutes is the end of the world.

People seem to forget, the walk drom Rector Street is literally 4 minutes. It's just a block further than Bowling green. Not much of an issue.

Well, psychologically, Bowling Green seems closer because you can actually see the terminal, because there's nothing blocking it (because it's alongside Battery Park). With Rector Street, there's still buildings in the way (not to mention that I think it's more like 2-3 blocks further, not 1 block).

Aside from that, similar to the guy in the other thread who claimed he could walk 1.5 miles in 15 minutes, I don't think you can actually walk that distance in 4 minutes. Running, yes, but not walking.

Unless the person has an unlimited ride card, I doubt they will waste a transfer for a few blocks walk to the ferry terminal.

Not to mention that they have to wait for the bus. Unless you can actually see the bus coming, it's quicker just to walk to the ferry. Hell, even if the bus is right there, and you really have to make the ferry, it's often faster to just run right to the terminal.

Leave earlier... that's it. I don't see anything wrong with leaving the new SF closed forever. As Cait said, there are many alternatives. Why not run some (N) 's via the tunnel and mark it on the map. 

Uh, people have jobs and lives, and we can't always allow ourselves the extra time. Yes, in an ideal world, we could all leave earlier and not have to worry. But that's not the case.

In any case, me personally, in that situation, I'd suck it up and do the walk, because with the amount of time to go through the passageways and wait for the second train, it would probably be quicker to walk the extra distance. Thankfully, since the Hurricane, most of my destinations have been on the East Side anyway, so I can just take the (4)(5) like normal.

Archived