142/142A Side Signs

I was all over the Lex line today and noticed something about the 142 and 142A side signs. About half of them had the destination listed but with a "TO" in front of it, ie TO Woodlawn or TO Brooklyn Bridge. The other half had the destination listed without the TO. Is this a new update? I don't remember seeing this before.

I wonder of theyre taking this after the R46s that show things like  "TO FAR ROCKAWAY" cuz Ive seen this on the R142As on the (6) at one point and I dont think the "TO"s are necessary.

Yes I don't think they are necessary either but then again ya' got those tourist out there who simply just can't be helped yet the MTA themselves think they can.

Yes I don't think they are necessary either but then again ya' got those tourist out there who simply just can't be helped yet the MTA themselves think they can.

Wayfinding is important. Knowing what train goes where is important. Connecting the dots to which train going where is critical for service. And if I didn't know where the hell the (4) Woodlawn is/was, we'd run into problems.

Wayfinding is important. Knowing what train goes where is important. Connecting the dots to which train going where is critical for service. And if I didn't know where the hell the (4) Woodlawn is/was, we'd run into problems.

I always looked at it as if it said (4) Woodlawn then its going to Woodlawn ..... I know wayfinding is important... They just should do a complete thing to the R142s not just a piece by piece job for several years (R143's also) Just saying.

It's funny how Transit keeps flip-flopping on this "TO" thing. One minute it's considered a dirty word and must be removed from all the displays, like it was on the 46s in '01 or the 142s in '07. Now, it seems to be making a comeback, at least on the 142s again. To be quite frank though, I feel it should be on the interior LED screens like it is on the 160s. Of course, that's dependent on whether the text will fit in those old displays.

The new TOD update also has some new announcements, one specifically targeting those SHOWTIME idiots.

lol Really!? I would like to know what that says. Like, "Performing on subway cars is illegal [and annoying], we ask you not to give..."

The new TOD update also has some new announcements, one specifically targeting those SHOWTIME idiots.

What time is IT?

Seriously, they piss me off when they perform during rush hour and they want people to clear the aisle.

Back to the "TO" thing, I would think they would have programmed the "TO" prefix to show on the interior displays like the R160's for consistency... Guess not...

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

The "TO" update on the side signs has expanded to the Unionport sets. While on an uptown 5 train, I observed the following.

5 TO E 180 ST

5 LEXINGTON AV EXP

5 BRONX LCL

5 TO FLATBUSH AV

5 LEXINGTON AV EXP

5 EASTERN PKWY EXP

The character limit on the signs is 20. As long as they don't try anything stupid with the readings, all of the text currently displayed + the "TO" should fit.

Archived