Express bus driver ignoring passengers

YankeesPwnMets

I had a good laugh, now it's time to rip this crap into shreds.....

I know you're not saying kill off some other express route (like a BxM8) that gets decent usage....

Regardless, thanks for illustrating my original point....

129 people or whatever "is not much nor will LIRR get worse with 377 extra riders."...

I'm not even arguing dire capacity issues - I'm arguing this basic attitude of cramming/shifting/diverting people onto the rails, just because it's the rail.... Ridership on the QM21 isn't the greatest, so those people should be shifted onto the LIRR.... Typical....

You aint slick, QJT..... You only brought up the LIRR because you knew full well there's no other express route QM21 users could xfer to within Queens to get to lower manhattan - You know, like "....Those by QM12&10 have QM11. Those by QM5/6/1 have QM7/8. QM4 area has QM11."....

Next, you sit here & state how not so hard the commute is - When you're not the one doing it.... Also typical.

Never mind maneuvering around the masses of people emanating from all over, after coming off the MNRR @ GCT or after coming off the LIRR @ Penn... to then have to make your way to some subway line (which is another can of worms, after having came off the commuter rail) - and doing the reverse for the PM commute 5 days a week.....

* It is a hassle when you're coming from LI & have to take the 42nd st shuttle to the lex or w/e AFTER coming off the LIRR if you need the east side....

* It is a hassle when you're coming from Westchester & have to take the 42nd st shuttle to the 7th av line or w/e AFTER coming off the MNRR  if you need the west side....

This is what he just does not want to accept... The average commuter even knows that just because you have a rail service doesn't automatically mean that it's quicker than the bus.  It all depends on where you are going.  I remember waiting for the express bus going to the city and overheard another guy talking about how MetroNorth was only convenient if you were going within the Grand Central area because otherwise it doesn't save any time simply because of the amount of time needed to get to it and then make any other transfers from it.  That's why I hated the whole ferry commute... The more times you have to switch and transfer, the more likely you are to have more delays and to have to wait longer.  That's the advantage of having to use just one mode of transit, be it an express bus, a subway, a local bus or a commuter train as opposed to multiple modes.  Express buses generally serve areas that are isolated and that would require multiple transfers without them and that's the advantage of them is that they cut out all of the transfers and waiting.  Some areas simply aren't big enough to be served by rail service and thus bus service makes much more sense.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I'm not done.... It gets better :lol:

LIC LIRR trains? LMAO, that would involve xferring onto two separate LIRR trains for most folks before even taking the (7) to xfer to some other subway line to get to lower manhattan...  4 seat ride FTW huh.... That's even worse than taking the LIRR into penn & taking 2 other subway lines to get to the east side.... It was stupid to even bring that up because it further reinforces my point of being a hassling commute....

That Westchester suggestion is even worse than your LIRR suggestion !

You're crazy if you think you're gonna get Westchester commuters to disembark at & backtrack from MNRR Harlem - 125th, to trek over to lexington for the 4/5, to ride UP to the bronx for the 2 at 149th & back down into manhattan for access to the west side.... Disembarking at Fordham & walking over to grand concourse for the D? Nope, not happening either....

This is the same dumb ass logic you came with regarding the M98 & having GWB area riders take the (4) into the bronx to xfer to the Bx35 to get back to that part of Manhattan instead.....

For your sake, stop with these ridiculous suggestions because at this point you're continuing to embarrass yourself.....

Let's not sit here and & play stupid & resort to red herring arguments....

You can't take the LIRR directly from lower manhattan... So it serves no purpose to tell me it takes 40 mins from Penn to Seaford & implicate that's not a hassle - b/c that's not considering the commute from the point of origin from somewhere in lower manhattan to get to the LIRR in the first place....

All this you're going off on about highways & express bus service from Nassau county isn't what I'm arguing... I'm saying those riders have no choice but to take the LIRR because that's what's there - Not this assertion that express buses should be ran out to Nassau county so that they can be able to xfer to some other express bus to get to lower manhattan... That would be silly to sit up here & suggest....

Doesn't matter to me either way... Although I would like to see how he'd weasel his way out of this one !

don't have an answer for QM21 are you sure it's called QM11. LIRR to downtown it's called (2) & (3)

Uh yeah it's called a RECESSION!  I said it should be looked at.  Currently the only option people have is the (7) and as much as you sit here touting the line it f*cks up a lot which leaves people with nothing else but the LIRR, which is more expensive than the express bus during peak hours, which is usually packed and overcrowded, so yes it should be considered.

Your logic is so ridiculous it's not even funny.  Stats do not tell the whole story and the sooner you get that through that thick head of yours the better you'll be. If you're going to go off of stats then I guess we should never introduce or consider restoring any bus lines.  Demographics change, new neighborhoods are created and they need to be served and the rails aren't always the answer, period.  

Express buses are only useful if they are significantly faster than their competition.

don't have an answer for QM21 are you sure it's called QM11. LIRR to downtown it's called (2) & (3)

Express buses are only useful if they are significantly faster than their competition.

Or...if they provide similar travel time to a ridership that is willing to pay the higher fare. Or if they provide a one-seat ride. Or if they provide service to an area without subway service.

This is what he just does not want to accept... The average commuter even knows that just because you have a rail service doesn't automatically mean that it's quicker than the bus.  It all depends on where you are going.  I remember waiting for the express bus going to the city and overheard another guy talking about how MetroNorth was only convenient if you were going within the Grand Central area because otherwise it doesn't save any time simply because of the amount of time needed to get to it and then make any other transfers from it.  That's why I hated the whole ferry commute... The more times you have to switch and transfer, the more likely you are to have more delays and to have to wait longer.  That's the advantage of having to use just one mode of transit, be it an express bus, a subway, a local bus or a commuter train as opposed to multiple modes.  Express buses generally serve areas that are isolated and that would require multiple transfers without them and that's the advantage of them is that they cut out all of the transfers and waiting.  Some areas simply aren't big enough to be served by rail service and thus bus service makes much more sense.

yeah you are right in regard to SI and fresh meadows and parts of southern brooklyn. As well as the areas most BXM lines serve. The only lines I bashed were ones that had faster modes. QM21 takes a whole hour and 10 to reach locust manor. That is just too long. Just to reach midtown manhattan. I know fully how useful BXM1&2 are you can't compare buses like those to BXM4 or QM18.

Or...if they provide similar travel time to a ridership that is willing to pay the higher fare. Or if they provide a one-seat ride. Or if they provide service to an area without subway service.

Again significantly faster than bus to subway or extremely far from the subway/LIRR.  One seat ride is worthless if you add an additional 30+ mins to your trip. Fortunately that is mostly not the case with most express lines in NYC.

More 10-mile long regional bus routes? :lol:

So your saying a route that cuts travel time is useless?

yeah you are right in regard to SI and fresh meadows and parts of southern brooklyn. As well as the areas most BXM lines serve. The only lines I bashed were ones that had faster modes. QM21 takes a whole hour and 10 to reach locust manor. That is just too long. Just to reach midtown manhattan. I know fully how useful BXM1&2 are you can't compare buses like those to BXM4 or QM18.

And guess what... I've been to that area without the QM21 and without it it's a schlepp...  An hour and 10 minutes is not that bad... That's practically at tne end of Queens so of course it takes a while... That doesn't mean that the QM21 isn't useful and it only runs during rush hour so give it a rest already... The X1 takes almost 2 hours from one end to the other and it's used by millions or riders annually and runs 24/7, so that is a ridiculous logic to use.

And guess what... I've been to that area without the QM21 and without it it's a schlepp...  An hour and 10 minutes is not that bad... That's practically at tne end of Queens so of course it take a while... That doesn't mean that the QM21 isn't useful... The X1 takes almost 2 hours from one end to the other and it's used by millions or riders annually and runs 24/7 so that is a ridiculous logic to use.

Dude trains go to locust manor all day and late into the night. No trains from manhattan go to SI You can't compare X1 to QM21!! To locust manor via LIRR it's much quicker than an hour and 10 mins. To ETC your better off with X17. If your tryna compare express buses with rail options to those without your completely NUTS!!! That is like comparing B46 to B24 or a bus like Q56. Q56 is useful for cost reasons. You can't compare the lines at all completely different territories.

SIR doesn't count.

That is like comparing BXM7 to BM3 you can't be serious.

NO TRAINS GO TO SI!!!!!!!! You can't compare X1 to QM21!! To locust manor via LIRR it's much quicker than an hour and 10 mins.

#1. Calm down.

#2. Nobody mentioned anything about trains to SI.

#3. It was just a brief comparison, in which can be register as a relevant point.

#4. Who cares how fast the LIRR is, it's still close to the same price as the express bus.

LET IT GO!

#1. Calm down.

#3. It was just a brief comparison, in which can be register as a relevant point.

#4. Who cares how fast the LIRR is, it's still close to the same price as the express bus.

LET IT GO!

yeah your right. On weekends LIRR is cheaper to boot. Since the routes have different alternatives one having none at all with the other having a faster option is not a relevant point it's a desperate attempt to hide from the truth.

Yes, I'm quite sure.... Thank you.

Now you can proceed to inhaling the vapors from this nice tall cup of fail you're about to be served.

- QM21 runs straight to manhattan from Briarwood.... You can't transfer to the QM11 within queens off the QM21.

- LIRR to the 2/3 still does nothing if you want the east side... The 2/3 only does you good if you're getting to areas around the financial district......

Yup... Commuter rail is great for getting to the most major parts of a city from the 'burbs & what not, but for intermediate areas within NY county (in this case), forget it.... The icing on the cake would be to have some commuter rail service pan down to lower manhattan from Westchester & LI, but such is life... we don't live in a perfect world.....

The expresses... Yeah, contrary to belief, they do save time over having to xfer to other modes all over the place.... A singular xfer to some other mode is enough (I don't have to tell you that express riders generally don't even wanna xfer period)... Once you start talking about plural xfers though, man, people aint tryna look forward to commuting in that manner.....

Now you can proceed to inhaling the vapors from this nice tall cup of fail you're about to be served.

- QM21 runs straight to manhattan from Briarwood.... You can't transfer to the QM11 within queens off the QM21.

- LIRR to the 2/3 still does nothing if you want the east side... The 2/3 only does you good if you're getting to areas around the financial district......

Yup... Commuter rail is great for getting to the most major parts of a city from the 'burbs & what not, but for intermediate areas within NY county (in this case), forget it.... The icing on the cake would be to have some commuter rail service pan down to lower manhattan from Westchester & LI, but such is life... we don't live in a perfect world.....

The expresses... Yeah, contrary to belief, they do save time over having to xfer to other modes all over the place.... A singular xfer to some other mode is enough (I don't have to tell you that express riders generally don't even wanna xfer period)... Once you start talking about plural xfers though, man, people aint tryna look forward to commuting in that manner.....

To be honest yes QM21 goes straight but a transfer stop in queens along queens blvd should be added to facilitate transfers to QM11 that is what I am suggesting MTA do to speed up downtown commutes for express bus riders in queens. You got a point in that regard.

Is this topic in need of a lock? I mean, it has veered waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off course.... I'm just sayin.

No please keep it going, I'm getting a kick out of this discussion

Nevermind, whatever you think should be done, but I admit it, the posts are hilarious with the way the members are debating, too funny......

I had a good laugh, now it's time to rip this crap into shreds.....

I could take some of the comments, print it, picture frame it, and proudly hang it on my wall in the living room. Classic! The more I read through the pages the funnier it gets lol. :lol:

#1. Calm down.

LET IT GO!

So your saying a route that cuts travel time is useless?

This pretty much sums it up. Hilarious and sad at the same time. Man, you gotta drop this obsession with regional routes and herding people off well-used express lines. It hurts your credibility. The reason everybody disagrees with your posts is because they make no sense. Take the advice and adapt your train of thought on this issue. What are we supposed to do but laugh when you propose stuff like a DUMBO to LGA route or slashing express bus routes because there's a (capacity-filled) subway line somewhere within a few miles of the route?

This pretty much sums it up. Hilarious and sad at the same time. Man, you gotta drop this obsession with regional routes and herding people off well-used express lines. It hurts your credibility. The reason everybody disagrees with your posts is because they make no sense. Take the advice and adapt your train of thought on this issue. What are we supposed to do but laugh when you propose stuff like a DUMBO to LGA route or slashing express bus routes because there's a (capacity-filled) subway line somewhere within a few miles of the route?

Not only that but I wish he would stop taking every express bus thread off topic and talking about which routes should be re-routed or eliminated or which route is supposedly "useless"... 

Dude trains go to locust manor all day and late into the night. No trains from manhattan go to SI You can't compare X1 to QM21!! To locust manor via LIRR it's much quicker than an hour and 10 mins. To ETC your better off with X17. If your tryna compare express buses with rail options to those without your completely NUTS!!! That is like comparing B46 to B24 or a bus like Q56. Q56 is useful for cost reasons. You can't compare the lines at all completely different territories.

Unless you are going to give passengers some LIRR money, don't suggest it. It's not as simple as a flick of a switch....I don't think anyone understands your obsession of sending BUS riders to the LIRR.....

To be honest yes QM21 goes straight but a transfer stop in queens along queens blvd should be added to facilitate transfers to QM11 that is what I am suggesting MTA do to speed up downtown commutes for express bus riders in queens. You got a point in that regard.

Not going to happen. The x64 and QM21 crowd are almost similar in that regard as most of the folks primarily work around the Midtown area. Contrary to popular belief, the QM21 crowd does have a big say in what they want with their only express service....

err why would anyone going downtown transfer to a bus? that is what the subway is for. Those by QM12&10 have QM11. Those by QM5/6/1 have QM7/8. QM21 your better off with LIRR anyway. QM4 area has QM11. All queens needs is a transfer stop at woodhaven for QM11 for the remaining X63/64/68 and QM15/16/17/4 folks who need downtown service from outer queens. However QM2/20 should get their own downtown branch till then transfer to the (6) is what most would do. QM18 and 3 are useless most people use other options anyway.

Oh I don't know...Convenience? Saving Time? Comfort? The fact that they can avoid the headaches that come from the Subway? People in Staten Island and Queens do it all the time, I don't know why the hell this is a big issue for you now....

Do you not understand a few things? Or is that 1st Grade logic of yours destroying your perception?

1. There's a reason why there's no transfer point at Woodhaven....ALL THE EXPRESS BUSES ARE PACKED WHEN THEY REACH WOODHAVEN!

2. You CAN'T have a transfer point with the QM15/16/17 to connect to the neighboring routes because they dont even stop near each other in that regard...

3. For the QM18, that's one thing I actually agree with. I don't understand why they don't axe that line to begin with. Back then in like 2010, there would be a least a good amount of people on the bus....but nowadays its like 3-5 people per bus....The QM3 on the other hand, nope.....I've always seen a nice load on that QM3, useless? I think not....

4. 90% of QM21, x63, x64 & x68 riders are not looking for Downtown Service and I've analyzed this over the past few months. The riders that use the lines work in Midtown and points nearby...

5. Most people transfer to the (6)? Are you some sort of a caveman that never sees the light of day?

6. The QM2/QM20 branch to Downtown is still being pushed. Last I heard, it was acknowledged and MIGHT be for consideration.

It seems to me that "getting your facts straight" is a hard concept for you to follow, that's gotta be some sort of Olympic sport to you....

I'm drinking a can of coors chillin while studying for this new project next week, and laughing. This is an awesome debate.

QJT c'mon, do your research and nail this debate dude! get with the program! I have high stakes on your continued posts.

3. For the QM18, that's one thing I actually agree with. I don't understand why they don't axe that line to begin with. Back then in like 2010, there would be a least a good amount of people on the bus....but nowadays its like 3-5 people per bus....The QM3 on the other hand, nope.....I've always seen a nice load on that QM3, useless? I think not....

There are only 5 runs in each direction and they only run every 30 minutes. The area it serves in Midtown is mainly Midtown East and even on 6th Avenue it's still two rather long blocks from the (A)... Also the (A) has its problems so seeing that it's only a rush hour route they should keep it if possible.  I've seen QM18's with decent crowds on 57th... Certainly not packed, but certainly not 3 - 5 people either.

There are only 5 runs in each direction and they only run every 30 minutes. The area it serves in Midtown is mainly Midtown East and even on 6th Avenue it's still two rather long blocks from the (A)... Also the (A) has its problems so seeing that it's only a rush hour route they should keep it if possible.  I've seen QM18's with decent crowds on 57th... Certainly not packed, but certainly not 3 - 5 people either.

I live near the QM18, the majority of folks that use the line dont even get off around the Kew Gardens/South Ozone Park area. Most of the folks disembark at 63rd Drive & Forest Hills. The folks that primarily board at 57th are using the 15/16/17.

I can tell you firsthand that once that bus passes Metropolitan or even Jamaica Avenues along Lefferts, there's no more than 5-6 people on that bus.

I live near the QM18, the majority of folks that use the line dont even get off around the Kew Gardens/South Ozone Park area. Most of the folks disembark at 63rd Drive & Forest Hills.

I still would disagree with axing it outright... You'd be elongating the commutes of the folks that do use it when they need to get to work.

I still would disagree with axing it outright... You'd be elongating the commutes of the folks that do use it when they need to get to work.

The thing about that is that those folks have been preaching for the QM18 or a service variant to be sent Downtown instead of Midtown, but that has gone to deaf ears it seems because apparently, the ridership doesn't warrant it.

A long time ago during the preliminary 2010 service cuts, folks were saying how they wanted a Downtown service from South Ozone Park instead of relying on the (A) (for obvious reasons). Nothing has really changed since then other than extending the route further down the line.

Ever since then, they've been doing workarounds like extending the Q10 and Q37 and the QM18 primarily into one area and I can honestly tell you that from 150th Avenue to at least Atlantic, that QM18 is primarily empty in the AM. The Q10/Q37 is used much more in that regard.

Idiot pay attention name ONE WELL USED express bus I suggested to herd it's people off of and onto other modes? Well child name one.

A line with 6 or less trips won't count. Fail on your credibility. Name one line I suggested to go bye bye with a ridership greater than 500 daily riders exactly you can't.

Ohh for those who thought dumbo to LGA was stupid look at page 2 of this http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2012-10-lga-plan-one-pager.pdf  now your case is dead.

Unless you are going to give passengers some LIRR money, don't suggest it. It's not as simple as a flick of a switch....I don't think anyone understands your obsession of sending BUS riders to the LIRR.....

You have a point sort of but if the city got wise and created a rush hour cross-honoring system that would let LIRR users use other NYCT services at no extra charge at rush then It can become possible. I don't really have an obsession if I did I would be saying this about QM2.  

For off-peak some sort of discounted transfer for in city travel. If to LI even better but not likely.

Not going to happen. The x64 and QM21 crowd are almost similar in that regard as most of the folks primarily work around the Midtown area. Contrary to popular belief, the QM21 crowd does have a big say in what they want with their only express service....

Oh I don't know...Convenience? Saving Time? Comfort? The fact that they can avoid the headaches that come from the Subway? People in Staten Island and Queens do it all the time, I don't know why the hell this is a big issue for you now.... People in SI can't get to the subway conveniently anyway the ferry runs like crap getting to the ferry is slow and a hassle with local and LTD buses. S53/S79 link to what I would think is one of the most hated subway lines in the system of course SI commuters would use express bus I do it every time I go to SI actually. You can't compare queens to SI they have completely different travel options Queens has expensive options the LIRR and SI has no options that are even close to the speed of express buses where as Queens does in fact have LIRR. However the service is greatest in places not near LIRR for a reason.

Do you not understand a few things? Or is that 1st Grade logic of yours destroying your perception?

1. There's a reason why there's no transfer point at Woodhaven....ALL THE EXPRESS BUSES ARE PACKED WHEN THEY REACH WOODHAVEN!

2. You CAN'T have a transfer point with the QM15/16/17 to connect to the neighboring routes because they dont even stop near each other in that regard...

4. 90% of QM21, x63, x64 & x68 riders are not looking for Downtown Service and I've analyzed this over the past few months. The riders that use the lines work in Midtown and points nearby...

5. Most people transfer to the (6)? Are you some sort of a caveman that never sees the light of day?

6. The QM2/QM20 branch to Downtown is still being pushed. Last I heard, it was acknowledged and MIGHT be for consideration.

It seems to me that "getting your facts straight" is a hard concept for you to follow, that's gotta be some sort of Olympic sport to you....

SE queens looks like you proved my point. But Those 10% going downtown could at least get the option to use QM11 at QM11's first stop.

QM2/20 agreed.  Point 3 ok for a bus with only 3 round trips 129 is actually high only so many people you can fit onto 3 buses. What I meant for QM16/17/15 was a drop/off at eliot and woodhaven and a transfer pickup for QM25 at eliot and woodhaven for the few who need downtown so they won't have to deal with manhattan traffic just to reach BXM18 which can be time consuming. QM downtown buses are more frequent than the BXM18 to boot.

Rest of reply in red.

I'm drinking a can of coors chillin while studying for this new project next week, and laughing. This is an awesome debate.

QJT c'mon, do your research and nail this debate dude! get with the program! I have high stakes on your continued posts.

Sorry to disappoint. I am letting fools like some people look smart won't let it happen again.

wow I am still waiting for culver to answer which WELL-USED express bus I suggested to bite the dust. I guess no answer yet. Dodging bullets no prepare for NUKES CAUSE SOMEBODY IS GONNA GET NUKED MWAHAHAHAHA.

Well you think any route that doesn't have booming ridership should be cut so that doesn't say much about your thinking.

The thing about that is that those folks have been preaching for the QM18 or a service variant to be sent Downtown instead of Midtown, but that has gone to deaf ears it seems because apparently, the ridership doesn't warrant it.

A long time ago during the preliminary 2010 service cuts, folks were saying how they wanted a Downtown service from South Ozone Park instead of relying on the (A) (for obvious reasons). Nothing has really changed since then other than extending the route further down the line.

Ever since then, they've been doing workarounds like extending the Q10 and Q37 and the QM18 primarily into one area and I can honestly tell you that from 150th Avenue to at least Atlantic, that QM18 is primarily empty in the AM. The Q10/Q37 is used much more in that regard.

Well you see that's the thing... People see an empty bus and they automatically say can it but don't know why it's empty.  We had serious reliability issues with the X16... Lots of buses were MIA... Residents in West Brighton especially complained of poor service and said that was the reason ridership declined and that if they provided more reliable service they would use it instead of being forced onto other lines or having to drive to the X12 for Downtown service.  The (MTA) kept up with the same practice, then when the line really went south, they extended it basically to nowhere because to extend that bus further down Jewett Av made no sense, as if that was where it had core ridership at before... It was a lame attempt to save face after they had sh*tted all over the route for years... Then they started chopping away at the service to make it even less attractive to the folks that were using it. 

I look at the QM18, look at the frequencies and say it's not too shocking that it's losing ridership.  If residents want Downtown service then the (MTA) should have held a meeting to see how they can accommodate them and adjust the route.  Instead they're adamant about keeping Midtown service as if they know best what the community needs.  That's where they really need to improve at and something that frustrated me for years as a Staten Island resident.  It took YEARS for Staten Island to finally see the bus improvements that it has desperately needed and a lot of that came from who was in charge at the time with Lhota finally giving Staten Islanders an ear, so South Ozone is going to have to make their voices heard louder if they want something done with the QM18.

I'm not saying I agree, but for the "LIRR to Downtown comment", he's basically saying that transferring to the 2/3 is (basically) equivalent to having LIRR service to Downtown. Instead of talking about how the 2/3 don't serve the East Side, you should've just said that it's not the LIRR to Downtown, because the LIRR itself isn't going to Downtown: You still have to make a transfer, in addition to the extra trouble of having to reach the LIRR in the first place, in Queens.

By talking about how the 2/3 don't serve the East Side, you're giving him an easy out if he wanted to use it. (The 2/3 don't go to the East Side, but the 4/5 go from Atlantic to the East Side).

Then again, if he only mentioned the 2/3, he was probably just talking about service from Penn, not Atlantic, so I guess that part doesn't matter.

Archived