(D) to Far Rockaway? (A) to Coney Island? Or a waste of programming.

Brighton Express

I'm wondering why there's no way for a C/R to have the ability to just choose a line, terminals, and portions of express / local service instead of selecting a program. For example:

E ->from Jamaica Center -> to WTC -> QB Exp -> 8 Ave local via 53rd

Where each segment between the arrows is from a list similar to that on a computer and the C/R makes the choice from those segments. They could also add or delete station stops as nexessary and it would cut down on the number of times wrong info is displayed. Just a thought.

That's how I thought it was, until someone mentioned codes.

I don't know why you would consider these programs to be "waste." They exist as zeros and ones on a tiny fraction of a computer hard drive that is not being used for anything else. What do you think they need the memory for, downloading movies to the train lol?

Well I mean, actually it'd be kind of nice if they used the LCD displays on the FIND boards to show some classic films. Rouse the crowds a bit, you know? Taking of Pelham '74' version, Die Hard with a Vengeance, etc etc. 

(Q) train program:

NYCS_Kawasaki_R160B-Signs.jpg

© Trevor Logan

http://ttmg.org/pages/kawasaki/nymta-kawasakii.html

What's curious about that Q train program is it seems to be set up for service via 6 Av. The 57 St station instead of 57 St-7 Av is the giveaway here. 2nd Av trains via 6 Av? I doubt that's in the works. Hmmmm.

Well I mean, actually it'd be kind of nice if they used the LCD displays on the FIND boards to show some classic films. Rouse the crowds a bit, you know? Taking of Pelham '74' version, Die Hard with a Vengeance, etc etc. 

These are subway cars not Amtrak going to california.

I'm wondering why there's no way for a C/R to have the ability to just choose a line, terminals, and portions of express / local service instead of selecting a program. For example:

E ->from Jamaica Center -> to WTC -> QB Exp -> 8 Ave local via 53rd

Where each segment between the arrows is from a list similar to that on a computer and the C/R makes the choice from those segments. They could also add or delete station stops as nexessary and it would cut down on the number of times wrong info is displayed. Just a thought.

Given that it's appears to be a general computing device, I don't think it's too difficult to change. Then again, software changes come with a lot of testing followed by retraining employees to use the new software. Giving employees more options makes it easier to be flexible in weird situations (like automatically generating the right announcements in reroutes), but also opens up the possibility to more mistakes.

@itmaybeokay: Like I said: there is a rare (Q) via 2nd Ave Line program so in theory it goes from 6 Ave via 2nd Ave. If you don't believe me: go take a look at Mr Railfan's video (I actually know it from his video before he posted it in this topic).

@itmaybeokay: Like I said: there is a rare (Q) via 2nd Ave Line program so in theory it goes from 6 Ave via 2nd Ave. If you don't believe me: go take a look at Mr Railfan's video (I actually know it from his video before he posted it in this topic).

Yep, the (Q) via 2nd Av makes sense, since that will be the first train assigned to SAS whenever Phase I opens, but unless I'm vastly mistaken, it will be Via Bway, using the BMT 63rd street line which connects 57 St-7 Av with Lex Av-63rd st. 

It would be surprising to me if they had the foresight to program a 2nd Av route via 6th, but didn't program one via Bway. 

Lol. If the (MTA) ever invested in video ads, I'd understand. But honestly, I can't imagine that the route programs take up that much memory, anyway. 

No, i specifically remember looking at the Planned service changes page and seeing the (F) extended to the Rockaways (don't remember which terminal) during the late night hours. During the day, (F)'s were scheduled to go to Euclid. The weeks prior to this they had (F)'s going to lefferts. I'll see if i can find a thread that was posted here a while back on this subject. 

I caught it too, and that was very recent.

Given that it's appears to be a general computing device, I don't think it's too difficult to change. Then again, software changes come with a lot of testing followed by retraining employees to use the new software. Giving employees more options makes it easier to be flexible in weird situations (like automatically generating the right announcements in reroutes), but also opens up the possibility to more mistakes.

Considering how conductors on the (F) handle the current system every time there's a GO, I tend to agree. A completely flexible pick-and-choose system is nice in theory, but in practice would result in most trains' FIND showing "Listen to Train Crew for Announcements" every time there's a GO (at least from conductors on the (F) ...).

I would love the kind of system RestrictOnTheHanger mentioned to be used because of the complete flexibility. They would need to have the odometer distances recorded for every track, and the program would have to piece together the distances on the fly as you set the route.

@Culver: The distances are already calculated for the announcements, FINDs/strip maps and displays.

As to why certain route options exist in the system while others don't, it probably has to do a particular route not being on the mind(s) of those programming the computers. Remember, there are also many "unnecessary" route options on the 46s as well. When will we ever see an (E) to Far Rockaway or the (H) go to 205 St? Probably never, but said options are there because someone thought they'd be useful. Same with the ones on the 160s.

@Culver: The distances are already calculated for the announcements, FINDs/strip maps and displays.

As to why certain route options exist in the system while others don't, it probably has to do a particular route not being on the mind(s) of those programming the computers. Remember, there are also many "unnecessary" route options on the 46s as well. When will we ever see an (E) to Far Rockaway or the (H) go to 205 St? Probably never, but said options are there because someone thought they'd be useful. Same with the ones on the 160s.

They've done all lines, right? I wasn't sure if they did the whole system, that's all.

They've done all lines, right? I wasn't sure if they did the whole system, that's all.

that's how all the announcement systems work. They measure the distance a train travels and plays the announcement at a certain distance mark. This is why announcements are of-sync when the CR changes them on the go. 

On a semi related note, is there a program on the R142s for the 2 to South Ferry? It's one thing I read that showed that even something as 'basic' was over looked while you have the 'out of the ordinary' reroute like the D to Far Rockaway.

that's how all the announcement systems work. They measure the distance a train travels and plays the announcement at a certain distance mark. This is why announcements are of-sync when the CR changes them on the go. 

Yeah, I know how they work, I just wasn't aware they've recorded distances for the entire system (even Grand Concourse).

And no offense to any C/Rs on here, but good lord how hard is the damn R160 route selection screen to work? I won't go into the (F) conductors thing in detail again, but...yeah. Just looks bad when they mess up on GOs.

On a semi related note, is there a program on the R142s for the 2 to South Ferry? It's one thing I read that showed that even something as 'basic' was over looked while you have the 'out of the ordinary' reroute like the D to Far Rockaway.

Not to my knowledge, no. There may have been one, but if there was, it was removed in a later update. Of course, that's all dependent on the amount of space on the computers. If I recall correctly, the 142s don't have nearly the storage capacity the 160s do.

Yeah, I know how they work, I just wasn't aware they've recorded distances for the entire system (even Grand Concourse).

And no offense to any C/Rs on here, but good lord how hard is the damn R160 route selection screen to work? I won't go into the (F) conductors thing in detail again, but...yeah. Just looks bad when they mess up on GOs.

You've got to remember that all of the basic routes are in the system, including the shuttles. The problem lies in how the entire computer system is programmed. While the FIND system is toted as reroute-able on the fly, it's really not. Using the (F) as an example, routing the line down 53rd Street to Coney Island for instance, the option starts at a north terminal (usually its north terminal, 179 St for this example) and then be re-synced to whatever station the train is currently sitting at.

Not to my knowledge, no. There may have been one, but if there was, it was removed in a later update. Of course, that's all dependent on the amount of space on the computers. If I recall correctly, the 142s don't have nearly the storage capacity the 160s do.

You've got to remember that all of the basic routes are in the system, including the shuttles. The problem lies in how the entire computer system is programmed. While the FIND system is toted as reroute-able on the fly, it's really not. Using the (F) as an example, routing the line down 53rd Street to Coney Island for instance, the option starts at a north terminal (usually its north terminal, 179 St for this example) and then be re-synced to whatever station the train is currently sitting at.

In on-the-fly situations it's understandable. I'm referring to pre-planned service changes that are posted weeks in advance. Do C/Rs get full training and testing on how to use the system? If yes, there needs to be more testing. Too many times I've seen them just load up the generic (F) route and then do nothing as the train goes onto its planned-weeks-in-advance detour and the system announces wrong stations, etc.

Oic. I always found that odd about how the most likely route change was the one that was omitted. Then again if there is a storage limit, then that makes sense.

I find it odd that storage limits are even relevant when the trains cost millions of dollars. Storage is cheap. And while they're working on that, they should wire up everything (either software or hardware) so they are all in sync. Sometimes the displays on one end of the car don't match the displays on the other end—and we're talking about within one single car.

Archived