Fare-beaters are feeling the burn after crackdown on local bus service begins

BreeddekalbL

Plenty of prep school upper class caucasians engage in fare beating, too. It isn't even a directly neighborhood income-related issue. An extra reason it happens on the crowded lines is the driver can't possibly control said crowds and get the farebeaters off. The issue is the mentality that "Hey, nothing happens if I get in through the back door." The (MTA) needs to crush this mentality. There cannot be ANY leniency. You get caught, you get a summons, and no expensive family lawyer can get you out. End of story. Enforce the law in neighborhoods poor and rich alike, and you can change the mentality. For the massive amount of people who fare beat on the crowded lines and in smaller pockets elsewhere, the (MTA) can likely recover its investment in a larger Eagle Team and then get an increase in revenues via the summons (that's $100 a pop) and the increase in actual payment of fares. We're talking about millions of fares a year being either a) paid properly rather than skipped out on or b) being replaced with a $100 fine. Invest in a large Eagle Team, and make them crack down on freeloaders.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying this about any neighborhood in specific. I simply mean that if an area has been found to have high levels of farebeating, cut service. 

Yeah but that would be an inconvenience to law abiding, paying bus riders who need the service.

It's not like the (S) Franklin Ave Shuttle Dean Street issue in relation to fare beating which was high in it's heyday, it was a highly unused station to begin with.  Likewise, my thinking is that fare beating in some cases may not necessarily affect levels in bus ridership in a way that is seriously affecting revenue collection or justifying cutting back frequency of buses per hour on a given route.

The Q17, Q36 and Q43 along Hillside Ave for example. Very high levels of ridership as it feeds into the (F) @ 179th Street on the IND QBL and therefore are critical links, however ppl try to beat the fare anyway sneaking in through the back of the bus. But in that case not a good idea to cut service on those critical bus routes.

(Correct me if I'm wrong I'm better knowledged on MTA subway transit then MTA bus transit)

Already answered that in the other thread where that as a solution was brought up.....

I'm "up in arms" as you say, because cutting runs is not a punishment to stopping/limiting farebeating (even if the MTA doesn't have an exact #/general idea of how many are doing so)... It's a detriment to the paying passengers !....

Cutting service from [x] minutes to [x - y] minutes solves nothing as it pertains to farebeating.....

Less buses to farebeat on isn't a remedy for farebeating; all it does is lessen that person's chances to catch a bus to farebeat on.....

(unless we're talking about getting rid of the route outright [which I know no one's saying on here, but I'm still gonna make the point], which would be a default argument because there'd be nothing to farebeat on, which would be nothing short of stupid to actually consider as a remedy)....

------------

What I'm not seeing (the logic of) is this continuance of drawing of a parallel by you, to the service that the B46 gets, to the farebeaters the B46 gets, to the service that other routes don't get..... They're non sequiturs & are separate issues...... Again, the route doesn't have the service that it does, due to the farebeaters on the line..... Your logic is not making sense here; telling me you'd make the argument of [not cutting service on the line as a remedy to farebeating] until Eagle team cleans up the line, is much ado about nothing - because the farebeating problem would have been resolved in such a scenario.....

This discussion here aint about service levels on the B46....

"THEN if they want to add more service", is not the issue here....

Oh this isn't about "punishment" at all. This is about monies being wasted on services that aren't paid for by the MILLIONS on one line, period.  Perhaps if the issue wasn't so far blown, drastic measures wouldn't be needed, but that's where we are right now.  To be clear, I'm just using the B46 as an example, since that's a line that's known to have a high volume of fare beaters, but I believe there are plenty of other lines across the city that also have serious fare beating problems... Lines in the Bronx along the Grand Concourse according to youngblaze and certainly numerous lines on Staten Island, esp. along the North Shore (i.e. S40, S46, S48, etc.)  However, at least something has been done on some of the Staten Island lines to recoup some of the lost monies on those lines, but more needs to be done to nip this nonsense in the bud.

P.S. It's also a detriment that the paying passengers keep having to cough up more money to pay for the deadbeats....

Yeah but that would be an inconvenience to law abiding, paying bus riders who need the service.

It's not like the (S) Franklin Ave Shuttle Dean Street issue in relation to fare beating which was high in it's heyday, it was a highly unused station to begin with.  Likewise, my thinking is that fare beating in some cases may not necessarily affect levels in bus ridership in a way that is seriously affecting revenue collection or justifying cutting back frequency of buses per hour on a given route.

The Q17, Q36 and Q43 along Hillside Ave for example. Very high levels of ridership as it feeds into the (F) @ 179th Street on the IND QBL and therefore are critical links, however ppl try to beat the fare anyway particularly schoolkids sneaking in through the back of the bus. But in that case not a good idea to cut service on those critical bus routes.

(Correct me if I'm wrong I'm better knowledged on MTA subway transit then MTA bus transit)

The way I see it, this has become a quality of life issue and it's been going on WAYY too long with these thieves stealing service.  You cut the service on these lines and you'll see how fast the politicians that represent these areas will get off of their rears and do something... This isn't solely the (MTA) 's fault... These politicians need to do more to support the (MTA) and ensure that they get the financial assistance that they need to remedy this problem because it has festered out of control.

The problem is that fare beating has become something that is "okay to do" and isn't supposedly a problem and so too many people now find it perfectly fine to get on with any excuse as to why they don't have to pay and it's costing the riding public with higher fares as a result.  Meanwhile some politicians have remained quiet on the issue when they should be quite vocal on it because it's putting more pressure on the backs of their residents and deteriorating their quality of life by having to pay higher and higher fares every few years and people continue to pay and pay and pay because they feel as if they have no choice when in reality it's their local leaders that should be providing some form of relief.  These fares cannot continue to be supported on the backs of the riding public while the fare beaters continue to steal service.

Which is exactly why I do not agree with that ideology; the cutting of service to stick it to farebeaters......

Invest in a large Eagle Team, and make them crack down on freeloaders.

...is my stance on the matter.

Oh this isn't about "punishment" at all. This is about monies being wasted on services that aren't paid for by the MILLIONS on one line period.  Perhaps if the issue wasn't so far blown drastic measures wouldn't be needed but that's where we are right now.  To be clear I'm just using the B46 as an example since that's a line that's know to have a high volume of fare beaters, but I believe there are other lines across the city that also have serious fare beating problems... Lines in the Bronx along the Grand Concourse according to youngblaze and certainly numerous lines on Staten Island, esp. along the North Shore (i.e. S40, S46, S48, etc.)  However, at least something has been done on some of the Staten Island lines to recoup some of the lost monies on those lines, but more needs to be done to nip this nonsense in the bud.

Yeah, I get that the B46 is being used as a talking point....

Anyway, cutting service will save money - But again, it's no remedy to farebeating.....

Again, it-does-not-follow, since there are many paying passengers on the route..... It is about punishment if that's a solution that's being brought up.....I mean, I seriously doubt you'll hear any roundtable discussion emanating from the suits suggesting cutting costs because folks on these lines are farebeating..... It goes without saying that they don't need to lump farebeating as a reason to cut costs.....

Yeah, I get that the B46 is being used as a talking point....

Anyway, cutting service will save money - But again, it's no remedy to farebeating.....

Again, it-does-not-follow, since there are many paying passengers on the route..... It is about punishment if that's a solution that's being brought up.....I mean, I seriously doubt you'll hear any roundtable discussion emanating from the suits suggesting cutting costs because folks on these lines are farebeating..... It goes without saying that they don't need to lump farebeating as a reason to cut costs.....

lol... Well according to youngblaze, they've cut service on some Bronx lines and those are lines that have high fare beating, so these sorts of things can happen.  Now I can't say if the cuts are a direct result of the rampant fare beating but it does make you wonder.

lol... Well according to youngblaze, they've cut service on some Bronx lines and those are lines that have high fare beating, so these sorts of things can happen.  Now I can't say if the cuts are a direct result of the rampant fare beating but it does make you wonder.

Right, it does make you wonder.

The way I see it, this has become a quality of life issue and it's been going on WAYY too long with these thieves stealing service.  You cut the service on these lines and you'll see how fast the politicians that represent these areas will get off of their rears and do something... This isn't solely the  (MTA) 's fault... These politicians need to do more to support the  (MTA) and ensure that they get the financial assistance that they need to remedy this problem because it has festered out of control.

Well then the NYPD needs to really get into the grove of things. So as the Eagle team. I agree on your points in regards to politicians dragging their feet, oh yeah. They are shafting the MTA inside out backwards and forwards, with this stupid tax hike as a result. I know what you mean.

On the point in regards to cutting bus service in general, by my example reflected in post #77 regarding Q17, Q36 and Q43 service and how it relates to the (F) @ 179th St Hillside Ave, what I am simply trying to say as B35 via Church is simply that the MTA can't just cut bus service just because of fare beaters. On critical bus routes like that one can only imagine how that will create chaos for commuters. Cutting back service will be a nightmare. Like when the (7) was shut down because of a power failure and the crowds that were like mobs at 74th/Roosevelt Ave waiting for shuttle buses up to Flushing.

http://gothamist.com/attachments/jen/2013_01_7trainchaos.jpg

2013_01_7trainchaos.jpg

Imagine that on Hillside Ave at 169th and 179th on the (F) with buses that are crushloaded if the MTA cut back on bus service because of farebeaters. Nope won't work, will do more harm than good. Now imagine the :bus_bullet_b46:  and how it would create a mess at IND Fulton St @ Utica on the (A)(C) or Myrtle Ave on the (M)(J)(Z), it would look like WW3. Again, no go. The has to be a way to better enforce the law on farebeating.

Call up the Eagle Team and let them do their jobs and enforce the MTA rules of conduct as many suggested. Problem solved. THAT'S the best solution, not cutting back on service. That's akin to transit network suicide.

The Q17, Q36 and Q43 along Hillside Ave for example. Very high levels of ridership as it feeds into the (F) @ 179th Street on the IND QBL and therefore are critical links, however ppl try to beat the fare anyway sneaking in through the back of the bus. But in that case not a good idea to cut service on those critical bus routes.

As a daily Q43 rider for the 13-odd years that I've been attending public school in the city, I have never seen a single incident of farebeating. In fact, quite the opposite - due to all of the people at 179th St, the line stretches for blocks. (This is also one of those few lines where people actually move to the back of a hybrid bus, so even if someone tried to get in through the back they would have no place to go.)

That being said, yes, the enforcement is a step in the right direction, but how are these tickets being enforced? Are they even being paid? And what prevents a rider who's been ticketed from boarding the next bus that comes without paying the fare, especially if they're taken off the bus in an area without Metrocard vendors or machines? Hopefully the deterrent is enough to get people to stop farebeating, but you never know...

The Q67 has a 0.5% farebeating rate on a single weelend which is about 4.4 people.

The B46 has whatever

I understand that the B46 has a lot of fare beaters, but there's only so much you can do about it, and eliminating service from it is not am option.

Obviously.

As a daily Q43 rider for the 13-odd years that I've been attending public school in the city, I have never seen a single incident of farebeating. In fact, quite the opposite - due to all of the people at 179th St, the line stretches for blocks. (This is also one of those few lines where people actually move to the back of a hybrid bus, so even if someone tried to get in through the back they would have no place to go.)

That being said, yes, the enforcement is a step in the right direction, but how are these tickets being enforced? Are they even being paid? And what prevents a rider who's been ticketed from boarding the next bus that comes without paying the fare, especially if they're taken off the bus in an area without Metrocard vendors or machines? Hopefully the deterrent is enough to get people to stop farebeating, but you never know...

You'll be suprised. I attended Susan B Anthony JHS from 1989 to 1991. I attended Hillcrest High School, started in 1991, graduated in 1995. I grew up in Brooklyn Chinatown then Jamaica starting in 1989. Moved out of Jamaica in 1999 to head out to Maryland. Trust me. The students there are crazy, jumping turnstiles at 169th St and Parsons Bvld Stations on the (F) and farebeating on the buses. And robbing other kids in the process. And of course the adults who would do the same. 

Jamaica Queens was much worse than it is now. And I'm very sure it is still happening. Did you hear of the chaos in Parsons Blvd over only recently? That area of Queens is riddled with crime. Sir, I would imagine by putting the pieces together and by observation with my own two eyes that we definitely still have problems with farebeating along Hillside Ave, Archer Ave, Jamaica Ave, etc and the buses that serves the greater Jamaica area in the county of Queens. Here's some references for some insight into what my take on that is.

On the Q111: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8452925

You'll be suprised. I attended Susan B Anthony JHS from 1989 to 1991. I attended Hillcrest High School, started in 1991, graduated in 1995. I grew up in Brooklyn Chinatown then Jamaica starting in 1989. Moved out of Jamaica in 1999 to head out to Maryland. Trust me. The students there are crazy, jumping turnstiles at 169th St and Parsons Bvld Stations on the (F) and farebeating on the buses. And robbing other kids in the process. And of course the adults who would do the same. 

Jamaica Queens was much worse than it is now. And I'm very sure it is still happening. Did you hear of the chaos in Parsons Blvd over only recently? That area of Queens is riddled with crime. Sir, I would imagine by putting the pieces together and by observation with my own two eyes that we definitely still have problems with farebeating along Hillside Ave, Archer Ave, Jamaica Ave, etc and the buses that serves the greater Jamaica area in the county of Queens. Here's some references for some insight into what my take on that is.

On the Q111: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8452925

I was only specifically referring to the Q43, and not any of the other routes mentioned. (The Q17 out of Flushing is also too crowded to have farebeaters - it skips stops on a regular basis due to the severe overcrowding up to 188th and HHE).

Then again, we may have experiences from two different Jamaicas - I only started commuting on a regular basis in '06, and at least on the Q43, the riders mostly came from 179th St on the (F), with very few getting on before 169th St. I also have not personally witnessed cases of people entering through the back door. The only place I could think of where farebeating *might* be a problem is around Martin Van Buren HS near Springfield Blvd, but those riders are generally headed in the opposite direction that I'm heading in.

One last thing - some people say that Student Metrocards are abused, but there is a fundamental problem with their implementation - the last swipe can be used up until 8:30PM, but transfers on Student Metrocards stop working at 9PM. Now, you might say, this isn't such a bad thing. But, as a student whose school is 2 hours away by subway+bus, not having this transfer means spending $2.25 or hoofing it all the way to the county line. These transfers are necessary - I've had school-related events in Brooklyn and even Staten Island, and making it back in time to catch the bus can be quite the ordeal, especially given the tendency for trains to get delayed on QBL. Some bus drivers are nice enough to understand students' plights, and pass us through. Technically, I'm farebeating, but last I checked a Metrocard swipe ensured a transfer during a two-hour time frame.

Then again, we may have experiences from two different Jamaicas - I only started commuting on a regular basis in '06, and at least on the Q43, the riders mostly came from 179th St on the  (F), with very few getting on before 169th St.

I can agree with that. I can tell you back in the days in Jamaica Queens, it was truly very wild, ridiculous with the crime until the Rudy Guliani Administration. Then the NYPD refocused their efforts in getting the greater area of Jamaica under control. I can tell you once upon a time it was very dangerous to walk down Hillside Ave by Jamaica HS without being under threat of getting assaulted or robbed. And yes, farebeating was very high, back then. The NYPD's refocused efforts and revisions on crime enforcement laws changed that.

I guess that's why we are not seeing eye to eye. You're new skool, I'm Gen Y. All good and thanks for the feedback.

I was only specifically referring to the Q43, and not any of the other routes mentioned. (The Q17 out of Flushing is also too crowded to have farebeaters - it skips stops on a regular basis due to the severe overcrowding up to 188th and HHE).

Then again, we may have experiences from two different Jamaicas - I only started commuting on a regular basis in '06, and at least on the Q43, the riders mostly came from 179th St on the (F), with very few getting on before 169th St. I also have not personally witnessed cases of people entering through the back door. The only place I could think of where farebeating *might* be a problem is around Martin Van Buren HS near Springfield Blvd, but those riders are generally headed in the opposite direction that I'm heading in.

One last thing - some people say that Student Metrocards are abused, but there is a fundamental problem with their implementation - the last swipe can be used up until 8:30PM, but transfers on Student Metrocards stop working at 9PM. Now, you might say, this isn't such a bad thing. But, as a student whose school is 2 hours away by subway+bus, not having this transfer means spending $2.25 or hoofing it all the way to the county line. These transfers are necessary - I've had school-related events in Brooklyn and even Staten Island, and making it back in time to catch the bus can be quite the ordeal, especially given the tendency for trains to get delayed on QBL. Some bus drivers are nice enough to understand students' plights, and pass us through. Technically, I'm farebeating, but last I checked a Metrocard swipe ensured a transfer during a two-hour time frame.

Honestly, for students up to 12th grade, I feel that there should be some leeway given to them in the case their card doesn't work or if they don't have it, provided they are respectable to the driver and if they show them their student IDs so they can prove that they are a high school student trying to go to school or get home, and at least cover half the fare ($1.25). I find it highly irresponsible for an adult to get on the bus and not pay, especially college students who are on financial aid. More money being thrown away by the feds.

Honestly, for students up to 12th grade, I feel that there should be some leeway given to them in the case their card doesn't work or if they don't have it, provided they are respectable to the driver and if they show them their student IDs so they can prove that they are a high school student trying to go to school or get home, and at least cover half the fare ($1.25). I find it highly irresponsible for an adult to get on the bus and not pay, especially college students who are on financial aid. More money being thrown away by the feds.

What I don't understand is how these kids don't have their MetroCards in the morning OR better yet have them but they've already used the rides???? I've seen kids dip and the card be rejected.  I think they play some shady games with those cards, like pass them around and let others use them.  Some of these so called students don't even look like students and they get on with a notebook and walk and sit down.  I say either they show some ID or they should be fined too because some of them do some underhanded stuff. I never gave my student MetroCard to anybody for any reason, but I get the feeling this happens with some students (both legitimate and fictitious for whatever odd reason.

Lol...I know a driver out of Castleton who caught a student doing a "pass-back" (a student dips their card, passes it behind to his/her friend, and their friend dips the same card, only for it to read invalid) and took the card from the student, gave her a warning not to do it again. Like seriously, these kids think they're slick.

The kids who are serious about their education may very well not have their card one day because they legitimately don't have their cards for whatever reason, being they lost it or it no longer works, and it can take up to a week for the students to get a new card...I recall losing mine only once during my time in high school and the drivers would let me on, but even then I still didn't like asking for a ride because it is embarrassing. My school would give me the two-trip cards until I got a card that was good for the rest of the semester so I wouldn't have to keep going to the office and asking for cards every single day. But yes, they should definitely show some ID, which a few kids do.

What I don't understand is how these kids don't have their MetroCards in the morning OR better yet have them but they've already used the rides???? I've seen kids dip and the card be rejected.  I think they play some shady games with those cards, like pass them around and let others use them.  Some of these so called students don't even look like students and they get on with a notebook and walk and sit down.  I say either they show some ID or they should be fined too because some of them do some underhanded stuff. I never gave my student MetroCard to anybody for any reason, but I get the feeling this happens with some students (both legitimate and fictitious for whatever odd reason.

I don't know how many adults I've seen using student metrocards (I also question these quote-unquote students... lookln like they had a hard knock life MF-ers)....  There is clearly [abuse/misuse/whatever you wanna call it] going on...

I've gotten the inkling that that some parents/adults do one of two things:

- know full well that their kid seldom if ever goes to school, and has the kid hand over the student MC to the adult in the household, or....

- have that kid have to either farebeat, catch a ride w/ someone, or skateboard/bike it out to get to school or w/e - and has the kid hand over the student MC to the adult in the household....

What gets me is, these are the same adults that would be outraged if they took away student MC's....

Not for any joint benefit, but for the selfish benefit of those adults/parents that's misusing the things.... In other words, they let the kid have to fend for him/herself & take the student MC for themselves so they won't have to pay for a unlimited/PPR MC..... Parents these days set their kids up for all types of trouble, then wanna pass it off by saying "these kids gotta grow up real fast in today's world".....

.....No, how about you do something called parenting & set your seeds up to where they won't have to struggle like you might have.... This trend of setting kids up for failure when they become adults is quite troubling.....

I don't know how many adults I've seen using student metrocards (I also question these quote-unquote students... lookln like they had a hard knock life MF-ers)....  There is clearly [abuse/misuse/whatever you wanna call it] going on...

- know full well that their kid seldom if ever goes to school, and has the kid hand over the student MC to the adult in the household, or....

- have that kid have to either farebeat, catch a ride w/ someone, or skateboard/bike it out to get to school or w/e - and has the kid hand over the student MC to the adult in the household....

What gets me is, these are the same adults that would be outraged if they took away student MC's....

Not for any joint benefit, but for the selfish benefit of those adults/parents that's misusing the things.... In other words, they let the kid have to fend for him/herself & take the student MC for themselves so they won't have to pay for a unlimited/PPR MC..... Parents these days set their kids up for all types of trouble, then wanna pass it off by saying "these kids gotta grow up real fast in today's world".....

.....No, how about you do something called parenting & set your seeds up to where they won't have to struggle like you might have.... This trend of setting kids up for failure when they become adults is quite troubling.....

I see this all to often...

Never thought about it that way, but I find it hilarious that some adults think they can get by using the Student passes on the buses. Some drivers don't pay attention, but a message comes up on the driver's side of the farebox denoting what type of card the passenger is using, when their card expires, if there is money on the card or not, etc.  Passengers definitely can't get away with it on the trains because the yellow light comes on, basically "snitching" on them, so if a cop is hiding and they're watching who goes through the turnstile, and the yellow (student) or red light (half-fare) comes on, they're busted. Since they got rid of the beakie boxes on the buses, a person on the bus can no longer tell what type of card the passenger is using or if they're farebeating.

Well... you do have kids like this who legitimately need more than 3 rides. By the time he gets from Bedford Park to the Q22 back home I wouldn't be surprised if 2 hours had already elapsed...

http://www.bxscience.edu/apps/news/show_news.jsp?REC_ID=265032&id=1

Please... We're talking about early in the morning when someone would just be going to school... You don't use up three rides that fast... I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this sh*t too. The (MTA) should crackdown on them as well because it's clearly abuse.

Never thought about it that way, but I find it hilarious that some adults think they can get by using the Student passes on the buses. Some drivers don't pay attention, but a message comes up on the driver's side of the farebox denoting what type of card the passenger is using, when their card expires, if there is money on the card or not, etc.  Passengers definitely can't get away with it on the trains because the yellow light comes on, basically "snitching" on them, so if a cop is hiding and they're watching who goes through the turnstile, and the yellow (student) or red light (half-fare) comes on, they're busted. Since they got rid of the beakie boxes on the buses, a person on the bus can no longer tell what type of card the passenger is using or if they're farebeating.

What's funny is some of them look like young adults... In other words they're short enough to maybe pass off of as a student, but me personally I do a double take because something just doesn't seem right and I'm the type that just observes and 9 times out of 10 my inkling doesn't steer me wrong.

Those pieces of trash have no right to call themselves parents.

There you go. Hence the farebeating. I knew I wasn't seeing things, or just making presumptions in my argument here with the buses on Hillside Ave, Parsons Bvld and Archer Ave as well as even 165 St terminal. When I was living there at the time!

Please... We're talking about early in the morning when someone would just be going to school... You don't use up three rides that fast... I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this sh*t too. The (MTA) should crackdown on them as well because it's clearly abuse.

What's funny is some of them look like young adults... In other words they're short enough to maybe pass off of as a student, but me personally I do a double take because something just doesn't seem right and I'm the type that just observes and 9 times out of 10 my inkling doesn't steer me wrong.

LOL...I'm 21 now but the way I look and dress with all the preppy Hollister clothing I wear, plus me having long hair and no facial hair (babyface), I can pretty much pass off as a high school senior (17-18, the youngest I ever got within the past year was 16). Funny how I can be perceived as a high school senior and I'm a college senior getting ready to graduate in two months.

But before I go off-topic like that, I agree...there are young adults who can pass off as high school students and it makes you think "wtf are they doing with a student MetroCard"?

LOL...I'm 21 now but the way I look and dress with all the preppy Hollister clothing I wear, plus me having long hair and no facial hair (babyface), I can pretty much pass off as a high school senior (17-18, the youngest I ever got within the past year was 16). Funny how I can be perceived as a high school senior and I'm a college senior getting ready to graduate in two months.

But before I go off-topic like that, I agree...there are young adults who can pass off as high school students and it makes you think "wtf are they doing with a student MetroCard"?

I have a friend who's about 6'6", and his dad is a professor at NYU, so he lives on campus housing. One day, he swiped his student Metrocard at West 4th St, and a cop stops him and asks why he's farebeating. My friend says he's a high school student, and then takes out his high school ID, to which the officer responds, "Show me your real ID."

Long story short, we were eventually able to convince the cop that this kid, in fact, did go to high school in the city, but I'd like to point out that looks can be deceiving :P

I remember when I went to a high school reunion this one kid was 6'8" and was the basketball team captain... I can't imagine the amount of hell the cops give him for using a student card. I also found this article online:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/kids-wrong-side-tracks-jump-turnstiles-save-subway-fares-article-1.957876

Don't you just love the sassy attitude -_-

Archived