Fare-beaters are feeling the burn after crackdown on local bus service begins

BreeddekalbL

My sentiments exactly... This is the (MTA)'s fault because they're created this sense of "entitlement" by being lax on enforcement.  I wonder if these people think that everything else is free? Do they walk into the supermarket take food off of the shelves and walk out without paying??

In response to that in bold not really they have benefits cards and that is what they use to get free food. Welfare and shit. Some people actually try to get off of it and get a real life but sadly only so many do so but they are more than you think.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This took too long. Now if they can just get the team to that Hotspot over on Eastern Pkwy and Utica Ave :lol: .

Believe it or not, Eastern Pkwy and Utica for the 46 is not a hotspot for fare evasion. It's the busiest bus stop in Brooklyn and its not all that bad, from what I see..

I'm quite skeptical about this particularly because they did the same thing in Staten Island and it lasted only what....a month and a half? The eagle team and NYPD (mostly undercover cops) were all out on the buses and on the island at various spots to check for people farebeating and whatnot and that crusade only lasted for a short time. I honestly hope that they are serious with this and they start nabbing the farebeaters and such.

Gotta love the "oh woe is me" complaints from fare beaters. Here's a solution for them: if you don't want to get fined, don't get on the bus without paying. Simple as that. Don't willingly try and get on for free and then complain you got caught.

How dare these people actually have to PAY for a service!!

[/sarcasm]

Yeah, this entitlement shit because they want to stick it to the MTA needs to stop. Doesn't surprise me these are the same type that complains about everything and tries to justify not paying. We need more undercover cops too. Doesn't surprise me some of the fare beaters are also guilty of other crimes. It's a 2fer, bust them on the fare and on a possible former unsolved/unpunished crime. Interesting the article mentions ex military folks, so even better. I don't want it to be some employee without some combat experience because lets face it, not all farebeaters are frail old women and some don't handle things well (ie go postal).

There is this general assumption that since public transportation has "public" appended to it, people can do anything they want on it - Which includes walking onto it freely (among many other things I don't feel like listing right now).... This is one of several reasons the entitlement shit is as apparent as it is.... The sticking it to the MTA by farebeating is nothing more than a feasible fallback (bullshit) excuse because these are the same people that had no intention of paying regardless....

====================================================

1] On the southern end of the route on 125th St. in Harlem, Roland Powell allegedly boarded without paying.

He walked past the driver and took a seat, not noticing three undercover inspectors — two men and a woman — sitting on the bus, transit officials said.

It’s unfair,” said Powell, taken off the bus about 2:30 p.m. “I did pay.”

(Of course you did.... The only thing you paid was no mind to the bus operator and the farebox to the immediate right of him/her...

Cut the crap, you only claim to have paid the fare since you got caught....

Otherwise you wouldn't have given a f***,  ole I-look-like-I-just-woke-up-from-a-park-bench-to-hop-the-bus-to-get-my-next-fix ass nigga...)

-----------

2] But, back on the bus, transit officials said more than a dozen riders tried to beat the system.

Khadijah Haughton, 33, was among them, the inspectors said.

Come on now,” she protested, as tears welled in her eyes. “This is hurting my heart. I’m not a criminal.”

Haughton said she had a bus-to-bus transfer but it expired while she waited for a bus with an empty seat. She needs the empty seat because of a bum leg, she said.

(Again, There would be no tears, or hurting hearts, or moping about being a criminal, or some excuse about an expired bus xfer if you didn't get caught...

You also wouldn't have given a f*** otherwise. - Oh & by the way, you have to be the OLDEST goddamn looking 33 year old woman I have ever seen...)

-----------

3] “I think it’s good, but bad too,” said Destiney Clarke, 14.

“If someone doesn’t have $2.50 to pay the fare and they get a $100 ticket, where are they going to get the money to pay that?”

(No, you think it's bad... bad bad bad.... no good whatsoever, let's not lie now, young one...

The better question is, where does your momma "get money to pay (for) that" designer handbag & that yaki or remy weave she has to have concealing her traction alopecia ... I'll tell you the answer as to where they can get that quantity of money - two sources:

1] from me & the rest of the taxpayers in this state - The same ones that don't look for excuses to not pay the fare & worry about paying fines when they get caught...

(quite sure mommy dearest & any other member of the "sistahood" in your circle taught you how to game the system.... the art of the playing stupid by females when it comes to accountability isn't lost on me at all - "where are they going to get the money", yeah right )....

2] from those (yes, plural) same thugs or simp niggas that's (also) further financing your momma's livelihood, to stick what they got between their legs, between hers....

The same money she's receiving from either source that's very likely isn't going toward YOU, the child.....

That's who... That's where....)

For the life of me, I can not stand the constant downtrodden demeanors/attitudes from a lot of us blacks & the nigga logic that often results from it..... Makes us all look bad......

What I tend to find funny is that these same people (like these 3 rhodes scholars from that newspaper article) be the loudest in the room whenever fare hikes arise !

To analogize, It's like the people that don't vote, tend to be the main ones bitching about what some president is or isn't doing....

Damn, someone is out to make assumptions...

I'm quite skeptical about this particularly because they did the same thing in Staten Island and it lasted only what....a month and a half? The eagle team and NYPD (mostly undercover cops) were all out on the buses and on the island at various spots to check for people farebeating and whatnot and that crusade only lasted for a short time. I honestly hope that they are serious with this and they start nabbing the farebeaters and such.

Just my opinion, this should last for three months minimum, no question.

There is this general assumption that since public transportation has "public" appended to it, people can do anything they want on it - Which includes walking onto it freely (among many other things I don't feel like listing right now).... This is one of several reasons the entitlement shit is as apparent as it is.... The sticking it to the MTA by farebeating is nothing more than a feasible fallback (bullshit) excuse because these are the same people that had no intention of paying regardless....

1] On the southern end of the route on 125th St. in Harlem, Roland Powell allegedly boarded without paying.

He walked past the driver and took a seat, not noticing three undercover inspectors — two men and a woman — sitting on the bus, transit officials said.

(Of course you did.... The only thing you paid was no mind to the bus operator and the farebox to the immediate right of him/her...

Otherwise you wouldn't have given a f***,  ole I-look-like-I-just-woke-up-from-a-park-bench-to-hop-the-bus-to-get-my-next-fix ass nigga...)

-----------

2] But, back on the bus, transit officials said more than a dozen riders tried to beat the system.

Come on now,” she protested, as tears welled in her eyes. “This is hurting my heart. I’m not a criminal.”

Haughton said she had a bus-to-bus transfer but it expired while she waited for a bus with an empty seat. She needs the empty seat because of a bum leg, she said.

(Again, There would be no tears, or hurting hearts, or moping about being a criminal, or some excuse about an expired bus xfer if you didn't get caught...

You also wouldn't have given a f*** otherwise. - Oh & by the way, you have to be the OLDEST goddamn looking 33 year old woman I have ever seen...)

-----------

“If someone doesn’t have $2.50 to pay the fare and they get a $100 ticket, where are they going to get the money to pay that?”

(No, you think it's bad... bad bad bad.... no good whatsoever, let's not lie now, young one...

The better question is, where does your momma "get money to pay (for) that" designer handbag & that yaki or remy weave she has to have concealing her traction alopecia ... I'll tell you the answer as to where they can get that quantity of money - two sources:

1] from me & the rest of the taxpayers in this state - The same ones that don't look for excuses to not pay the fare & worry about paying fines when they get caught...

(quite sure mommy dearest & any other member of the "sistahood" in your circle taught you how to game the system.... the art of the playing stupid by females when it comes to accountability isn't lost on me at all - "where are they going to get the money", yeah right )....

2] from those (yes, plural) same thugs or simp niggas that's (also) further financing your momma's livelihood, to stick what they got between their legs, between hers....

The same money she's receiving from either source that's very likely isn't going toward YOU, the child.....

For the life of me, I can not stand the constant downtrodden demeanors/attitudes from a lot of us blacks & the nigga logic that often results from it..... Makes us all look bad......

What I tend to find funny is that these same people (like these 3 rhodes scholars from that newspaper article) be the loudest in the room whenever fare hikes arise !

To analogize, It's like the people that don't vote, tend to be the main ones bitching about what some president is or isn't doing....

Thanks for being real with it too  ^_^

Remember that on Staten Island, politicians actually gave money for the program to start up.  The difference here is that the (MTA) made the force bigger, so I think what what they will do is monitor certain routes that are know for having lots of folks hop on and not pay and then do blitzes when they least expect it, similar to what is done with the cell phone blitz, where cops go around looking to ticket people yacking on a cellphone while driving instead of using a hands free device.

I don't think it will stop completely though. Even if they do blitzes, that's perfectly fine because that's exactly what they would do in Italy and there were hoards of people that would be busted either with a ticket that wasn't stamped or with no ticket at all.  Considering how many people they get from these blitzes, I think they'll still do just fine. 

I would even go further and say that they could perhaps study when farebeating tends to be the most rampant and then target those days and times to get the biggest catches.

-----------

-----------

This!

Totally agree with everything you said here... Especially the part where the farebeaters are the loudest ones to start bitching about the fare hikes...

People have often excuses to not pay, if you don't want to paid the bus ride, the only solution is walking.

In Paris, bus drivers can use recorded announcements that reminds the rules when somebody don't respect it but the effect is null.

They can refuse passengers who don't paid but they don't do it because they don't want be assaulted (assault happens quite often, unfortunately).

-----------

-----------

Can I get an "amen", Brothers and Sisters ? This is preaching !!!!! And so true. +10

LOL

I doubt the so call eagle team would last, As long as people don't move to the back of the bus and exit the back of the bus fare beating will continue, I see buses packed on the BX19 bus route and most of the time the front is more packed then in the back, all because some don't want to move so they can get out quickly in they stay in the front door. beside fare beating they should also be concerned about the passenger flow in the buses, Please people if you are not disable or the elderly move all the way to the back of the bus and exit the back of the bus. 

Can I get an "amen", Brothers and Sisters ? This is preaching !!!!! And so true. +10

LMAO!!  :lol:

LOL

I doubt the so call eagle team would last, As long as people don't move to the back of the bus and exit the back of the bus fare beating will continue, I see buses packed on the BX19 bus route and most of the time the front is more packed then in the back, all because some don't want to move so they can get out quickly in they stay in the front door. beside fare beating they should also be concerned about the passenger flow in the buses, Please people if you are not disable or the elderly move all the way to the back of the bus and exit the back of the bus. 

It will last as the (MTA) desperately needs money... The thing is they don't need to do this every day though... All they need to do is keep tabs on the routes with the locations with the biggest bang for the buck and violà... 

-----------

-----------

Okay, I'm done.... ^_^

For once, I am glad that the Eagle Team is stepping up outside of SBS routes. I would also crack down on students who have Student MetroCards, but run out of rides and try to get on without swiping.

i read mta doubled its eagle team,  personally i think they need a team for each borough. The farebeaters are one problem then you have the  people who put a few coins in the farebox that amounts to less than the fare.

Too many of them that do it repeatedly and too many B/Os giving out freebies too because I've seen these types get on the express bus, drop a few coins in the damn box on numerous occasions and sit down and start chatting it up with the B/O like all is normal or dip an empty MetroCard and sit down.... Umm the fare is $6.00 and whether you know the B/O or not, don't take advantage and try to get a free ride... Now it's one thing if you're short because you legitimately forgot to load your card, but these folks do this sh*t on the reg. and deliberately too and it pisses me hence why I write it when I know for a fact that it happens...  They know exactly what they have on their card and they just figure they'll get on and dip it, knowing damn well that there is nothing on that card and figure the B/O will let them ride because they know them. I see it as a sign of disrespect, taking kindness as a weakness and it's a disrespect to the B/O and a disrespect to the other riders as well that do pay.

The B/Os don't care because hey the cost just gets passed onto the people that do pay and I most certainly have a problem with that buddy sh*t.  I know plenty of B/Os and I never get on the bus with that can you spare me a ride routine BS.  One time last summer I picked up the wrong MetroCard instead of my Unlimited in a hurry to get to the stop. Got on a BxM2 and realized I dipped the wrong card.  I was ready to get off and head back home and get the other card, but the B/O knew that I use an Unlimited so he let me on and I picked up another pay-per-ride card to get back to Riverdale.  I had the right card the next day, but my point is my incident was not deliberate like these other lowlives, nor did I ask the B/O to let me on or any of that.  He waived me on because he knew that I had simply left my Unlimited card home.

Too many of them that do it repeatedly and too many B/Os giving out freebies too because I've seen these types get on the express bus, drop a few coins in the damn box on numerous occasions and sit down and start chatting it up with the B/O like all is normal or dip an empty MetroCard and sit down.... Umm the fare is $6.00 and whether you know the B/O or not, don't take advantage and try to get a free ride... Now it's one thing if you're short because you legitimately forgot to load your card, but these folks do this sh*t on the reg. and deliberately too and it pisses me hence why I write it when I know for a fact that it happens...  They know exactly what they have on their card and they just figure they'll get on and dip it, knowing damn well that there is nothing on that card and figure the B/O will let them ride because they know them. I see it as a sign of disrespect, taking kindness as a weakness and it's a disrespect to the B/O and a disrespect to the other riders as well that do pay.

The B/Os don't care because hey the cost just gets passed onto the people that do pay and I most certainly have a problem with that buddy sh*t.  I know plenty of B/Os and I never get on the bus with that can you spare me a ride routine BS.  One time last summer I picked up the wrong MetroCard instead of my Unlimited in a hurry to get to the stop. Got on a BxM2 and realized I dipped the wrong card.  I was ready to get off and head back home and get the other card, but the B/O knew that I use an Unlimited so he let me on and I picked up another pay-per-ride card to get back to Riverdale.  I had the right card the next day, but my point is my incident was not deliberate like these other lowlives, nor did I ask the B/O to let me on or any of that.  He waived me on because he knew that I had simply left my Unlimited card home.

I understand how you feel Same thing happened to me on QM20. I mostly always have my fare.

Keep in mind that hiring tons of new Eagle Team members would cost a lot of money in salary and benefits. I wonder how many tickets they need to write per day just to break even. Now if they wanted to flood the system to change the mentality of the riding public, it could be like a long term investment, but trying to change the habits of NEw Yorkers is a tough, tough job. 

Archived