Possible to send buses up the FDR Drive?

YankeesPwnMets

Say another disaster like Sandy struck that would basically knock out the subway system Downtown and require the use of something like a bus bridge again. The MTA knows that routes leading from Downtown that go uptown such as the M15 would be severely congested and also very slow due to the lack of subway service. If something like that were to occur again, I was wondering whether it would be possible to send select M15 SBS buses up the FDR drive to 23 st before sending them down 2nd ave again? I was thinking that something like this would be able to speed up commute for people stranded in lower Manhattan and reduce congestion on these buses...

This service pattern would only go in effect during emergency situations (such as the aftermath of Sandy) and would be specially marked as "via FDR Drive.." I'm wondering whether something like this would be possible.

Feedback would be welcome

After weather event like that, I'd assume there would be less people on the roads, so I think I can see that viable?

Just below 42nd Street though since from my memory, the road conditions above 42nd Street isn't so..comfortable so to speak for a bus to run through.

After weather event like that, I'd assume there would be less people on the roads, so I think I can see that viable?

Just below 42nd Street though since from my memory, the road conditions above 42nd Street isn't so..comfortable so to speak for a bus to run through.

Unless it's a local bus MCIs however are too tall except north of 67th then any bus can fit actually.

The new permits says nothing about a restriction on the FDR anymore but I think there's a few spots where a bus can't fit under.

awesome .Only the ones with low bridge do you know about new permits for the belt parkway?

Bus cannot fit through the underpath the hospital in 60s and UNs on 40s.

on the 40s only artics and RTS and newer hybrids new flyer I think can fit there as those buses are 10"4 the clearance is 10"6.

On paper, buses are banned between 23rd and 125th Street on the FDR. At the very least, MTA buses are allowed on the Harlem River Drive (125th to Dyckman)

Also on paper, buses are banned on the West Side Highway from 50th Street northward.

Never been on the FDR myself, but I've been on school buses (years ago) and even MCI/Prevost buses (Bolt to Boston twice) that have been on the West Side Highway from 34th Street all the way to I-95 and have lived to tell the tale (mostly a weight issue on the west side apparently since I saw no overpasses however)

FDR Drive up to the 20th Street exit is the furthest that buses can legally go.  I've been on a few X90 buses that have gone northbound to the 42nd Street exit, and entered southbound at 34th Street.

I would not send artics along that route though.  The lanes are narrow and the bus could easily veer into the next lane when going around a curve, plus it would be very bumpy.  In an emergency with no subway service I would definitely suggest using regular non-artic buses along the FDR around that stretch.

And before anyone asks, it is illegal and unsafe for buses to use the portion between 96th and 125th Streets.  A few months ago a southbound BxM11 (might've been BxM10, I forget the exact route), came off the Triborough Bridge southbound as I was driving up northbound and caused a driver to floor the brakes in order to avoid an accident. 

FDR Drive up to the 20th Street exit is the furthest that buses can legally go.  I've been on a few X90 buses that have gone northbound to the 42nd Street exit, and entered southbound at 34th Street.

I would not send artics along that route though.  The lanes are narrow and the bus could easily veer into the next lane when going around a curve, plus it would be very bumpy.  In an emergency with no subway service I would definitely suggest using regular non-artic buses along the FDR around that stretch.

And before anyone asks, it is illegal and unsafe for buses to use the portion between 96th and 125th Streets.  A few months ago a southbound BxM11 (might've been BxM10, I forget the exact route), came off the Triborough Bridge southbound as I was driving up northbound and caused a driver to floor the brakes in order to avoid an accident. 

lol.... Why can't they go past 125th street anyway? My BxM1 this morning got off at 125th street, went down 2nd and took that to 96th and then came over to Lex that way.

lol.... Why can't they go past 125th street anyway? My BxM1 this morning got off at 125th street, went down 2nd and took that to 96th and then came over to Lex that way.

The lanes are extremely narrow and there are a few tight curves around that area.  There's no way that a bus could safely stay in its lane. 

The lanes are extremely narrow and there are a few tight curves around that area.  There's no way that a bus could safely stay in its lane. 

Good point... That and the damn crappy roads on the FDR... You probably know the spot that I'm thinking of on the FDR but it's near to where the underpass is where the M15 used to turnaround at... There's a huge "hump" in the right lane and anytime you hit it you literally go flying out of your seat as if you were on a cheese bus... I almost hurt my back a few times on the express bus... God awful... I can't imagine the torture of being in that lane in a car and hitting that... And you wonder why I don't drive in NYC...  :lol:

Also keep in mind that if the natural disaster was a storm like Sandy, it's quite likely that the FDR would be out of service for some time. I remember it was covered in trees and debris for a few days after Sandy. It would probably be safer to run extra routes down some of the avenues. 

Archived