Front door on the LFS

QM1to6Ave

I've noticed on a bunch of QV's LFS's the following: Of the 2 sections that make up the front door (one of which is significantly bigger than the other), only the bigger door section will open up when the B/O opens the doors.

Is this something the B/O controls, or are these doors broken already? When I've got packages or whatever it is a pain to squeeze through the smaller space, and I don't see the point of only having 1 door section open. 

LOL... No these may have been SI buses and I've used them.  The (MTA) ordered them with the doors differently for some as a test to see what would work best.  Quite frankly I hate those buses because it takes forever for the doors to close and you can have people constantly running to try to get the bus.  Used to have them on the S53 which is infamous for that...  <_<

8000-8014 are fitted with the 1/3 door where part of the door opens. I think out of the factory, the 1/3 door is faster. However, the way that they've been tweaking the door speeds on these buses, there's no real time savings anymore. There is a switch that will open that small part of the door.

LFS_8001d.jpg

LFS_8024.jpg

8000-8014 are fitted with the 1/3 door where part of the door opens. I think out of the factory, the 1/3 door is faster. However, the way that they've been tweaking the door speeds on these buses, there's no real time savings anymore. There is a switch that will open that small part of the door.

LFS_8001d.jpg

Woah! I've never seen anything like that before! 

The 3rd Door configuration makes sense, open both at big stops, and only the big one at small stops.

How does that make sense lol? You still have the same width people getting on, not like big stops have fatter riders or people carrying more... As long as people are getting on one-by-one (which they are), ridership at the stop has no effect at all.

How does that make sense lol? You still have the same width people getting on, not like big stops have fatter riders or people carrying more... As long as people are getting on one-by-one (which they are), ridership at the stop has no effect at all.

On top of that, the 3rd door config opens and closes much slower than the 1/2 door.

Some of the newer LFSAs got their doors slowed down too...not sure why.

I honestly cannot understand why they created this 1/3 door configuration. Are they trying to save wear-and-tear on the smaller door or something? Unless there is a mechanical necessity for it (which there clearly is not, since the other buses have a normal configuration), I'm going to assume people in the Nova and MTA offices were sharing some drugs...

I honestly cannot understand why they created this 1/3 door configuration. Are they trying to save wear-and-tear on the smaller door or something? Unless there is a mechanical necessity for it (which there clearly is not, since the other buses have a normal configuration), I'm going to assume people in the Nova and MTA offices were sharing some drugs...

Nova always offered the 1/3 door. Maybe the TA just threw that in being that 8000-8014 are the alternate spec'd buses.

Nova always offered the 1/3 door. Maybe the TA just threw that in being that 8000-8014 are the alternate spec'd buses.

Do any other transit agencies use the 1/3 door config? I've never seen it anywhere else, but I don't travel all that much

Lol it's a joke. I think it's a silly design, and until I hear a good reason for it, I will keep believing that.

Here's your good reason: the drivers area is a bit forward of the doors on the LFS compared to other models. With the traditional door arrangement, drivers had to crane their neck sideways to see people's fares (and interact with them) as they boarded the bus. This was a major complaint and a lot of systems had drivers booking time off due to neck and back pain. So the solution is the split doors which when only the big portion is open force people to board the bus generally in the path of the drivers area.

Here's your good reason: the drivers area is a bit forward of the doors on the LFS compared to other models. With the traditional door arrangement, drivers had to crane their neck sideways to see people's fares (and interact with them) as they boarded the bus. This was a major complaint and a lot of systems had drivers booking time off due to neck and back pain. So the solution is the split doors which when only the big portion is open force people to board the bus generally in the path of the drivers area.

But the farebox is still in the same spot regardless, no? So the screen for the farebox showing the fair is still in the same spot.

How old are you two with the thumbs-down'ing each other? Lol!

Interesting, not sure if I totally grasp how that's an effective solution (seems more like a driver seating issue than a passenger issue), but maybe it's successful...

Archived