R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, a train is a train and a computer is a computer... They are not anyhow same unless what the chip controls... The R-62 could go on a overhaul and have GPS/CTBC!!! Lets say you go to Circuit City and get a Built-In GPS for a 1996 car which obviously doesn't. Well, Circuit City can get it installed possibly just one day and a train, a week or two... So compare transportation to transportation not transportation to electronics...

You keep dreaming that (MTA) and/or Corona Yard is going to sit there and waste their time overhauling the R-62A with GPS and CBTC which equals an epic failure and nothing but a huge joke......2nd of all I wasn't comparing trains to computers, its called an example

Well, unfortunatly you are wrong... My statement 'Lets say you go to Circuit City and get a Built-In GPS for a 1996 car which obviously doesn't. Well, Circuit City can get it installed possibly just one day and a train, a week or two... ' just will prove it...

um, thats for a CAR, 90% of the time, built in GPSs for old cars fail within a few months, i would know since i used to work on cars.....

The GPS for the subway would be very complicating, wiring would have to be done to every car, and there would have to be sensitivity tests on the wheels for the GPS to actually announce stops correctly

Won't be so complicated too me... Rewiring only for electricity and some operations CTBC and GPS won't need a lot of rewiring and even maybe no overhaul...

Then let me see you do it. When I go back to school tomorrow (I'm sick today, bad cold... figures I'd be sick on the first day back) I want to see an R62A car with GPS after doing a little "rewiring".

Telling him not to start a flame war? Ok sure thing Mr. Let's wear a jacket entirely out of $100 bills and walk through Harlem at night and hope not to get shot up the ass!

Anyway, IDK WTF you guys are smoking but R188s are definitely needed for CBTC on the Flushing Line. Maybe this is because I used to (and can) take the (7) in at least one direction every day but the line needs more service to accomodate the crowding. With CBTC you can run more express AND local service without having to worry about the merge at QBP. Not to mention Main St. as a terminal and all the timers along the line. It's not very mandatory right now but as soon as they get CBTC right on the L they should get this on the (7). Why? Cuz if they get it right on the (7) it goes straight to the (E)(F), which DESPERATELY Need CBTC.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I would want to see him in that... LMFAO.

I can't be certain about the CBTC system. It is a great and innovative piece of technology, but it has to be proven that there are no major flaws. If the next line needs CBTC, I would say the E and the F on the Queens Boulevard stretch. THAT needs more demand.

Okay, don't start... I also won't even wear a jacket made entirely out of 100 buck bills, unless if I am stupid... Appreantly, I am not stupid...

But you know what, the R-62 can be converted to CTBC ready if you want to know... The R-188 is not needed, and we already agreed the R-188 is not needed, and if people continue to ramble and attack people, this thread sure need to close...

Go ahead and wear a bunch of $100 bills.

OMG. YOU CAN'T CONVERT A R62 INTO CBTC. It is not that easy!!! If any car needs converting, I would say the R142.

handtohead.jpg

Read the previous few posts, you'll get it. And don't start another crappy flame war, I am keeping calm. And we is (me, MTR, UlmerPark and few others)...

If you want a flame war, don't bring me into this... at least my name.

The R-188 is Not Needed. And a R-62 having a Overhaul and modification would make it CTBC ready. Especially if they install GPS and CTBC equiptment on to the R-62... It isn't hard as you think... And okay, whatever about flame wars... And I know people can speak for themselves...

Mr Wang does not need to represent me, I can represent myself.

Okay... retrofitting those junior hippos will take A LOT of money, given this economic situation, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FINANCE IT?

Well, a train is a train and a computer is a computer... They are not anyhow same unless what the chip controls... The R-62 could go on a overhaul and have GPS/CTBC!!! Lets say you go to Circuit City and get a Built-In GPS for a 1996 car which obviously doesn't. Well, Circuit City can get it installed possibly just one day and a train, a week or two... So compare transportation to transportation not transportation to electronics...

Sure go ahead... I'll sit back and see what happens to it.

You can't fit new technology into a car that is not meant for it.

Why are NTTs called NEW TECHNOLOGY TRAINS and why are hippos/junior hippos not? Because they are not designed for this technology and therefore it would be a waste of money and time for it.

Well, unfortunatly you are wrong... My statement 'Lets say you go to Circuit City and get a Built-In GPS for a 1996 car which obviously doesn't. Well, Circuit City can get it installed possibly just one day and a train, a week or two... ' just will prove it...

Circuit City does stuff for trains? Since when?

You keep dreaming that (MTA) and/or Corona Yard is going to sit there and waste their time overhauling the R-62A with GPS and CBTC which equals an epic failure and nothing but a huge joke......2nd of all I wasn't comparing trains to computers, its called an example

Yes... an analogy.

Now, Mr Wang... how about this. Remember the time before the R160s got to the L and the CBTC system was in place? Why weren't the R42s retrofitted to be CBTC compatible?

Won't be so complicated too me... Rewiring only for electricity and some operations CTBC and GPS won't need a lot of rewiring and even maybe no overhaul...

How about this... retrofit it YOURSELF. We will sit back and watch the show. And then YOU will know how hard and impractical it is to retrofit such an older car.

OMG. YOU CAN'T CONVERT A R62 INTO CBTC. It is not that easy!!! If any car needs converting, I would say the R142.

Why is that? Why is it that its not a problem to convert an r142/a but a R62 is impossible? It's like saying I could walk to the kitchen, but walking to is impossible. Doesn't anyone understand that CTBC (on the actual cars) is basically a GPS, and a computer with CBTC software. Thats it! What else is there? Add the necessary computers and monitors to the cab. And with the subject with CBTC, its ould be just as easy to convert an r142 as an r62. In both cases you have to add the proper hardware and software. Can someone give me an actual reason why the r62's can't be converted besides that "they are too old" or "It's too hard/impossible". If it is too hard, say why!

handtohead.jpg

lmao!!!

Why is that? Why is it that its not a problem to convert an r142/a but a R62 is impossible? It's like saying I could walk to the kitchen, but walking to is impossible. Doesn't anyone understand that CTBC (on the actual cars) is basically a GPS, and a computer with CBTC software. Thats it! What else is there? Add the necessary computers and monitors to the cab. And with the subject with CBTC, its ould be just as easy to convert an r142 as an r62. In both cases you have to add the proper hardware and software. Can someone give me an actual reason why the r62's can't be converted besides that "they are too old" or "It's too hard/impossible". If it is too hard, say why!

The thing is, the junior hippos are not meant for that technology. I do not know the technicalities, but by observation, the NTTs are computer based. That's definite. You don't see a computer screen on the R62. Now, which is more easy to upgrade to CBTC ready? R142 or R62?

The thing is, the junior hippos are not meant for that technology. I do not know the technicalities, but by observation, the NTTs are computer based. That's definite. You don't see a computer screen on the R62. Now, which is more easy to upgrade to CBTC ready? R142 or R62?

Okay good points there. So it would be easier for an R142 upgrade to CBTC. While this is true, that still does not mean R62's cannot be upgraded. 4

It would be very costly to upgrade the R62 and R62A, which will be more money than buying new cars.

CBTC stands for Communication Based Train Control. I believe they use sensors from a computer at the tower and sends it back to the train cab on how the train is supposed to run.

It would be very costly to upgrade the R62 and R62A, which will be more money than buying new cars.

CBTC stands for Communication Based Train Control. I believe they use sensors from a computer at the tower and sends it back to the train cab on how the train is supposed to run.

Agreed, no foam here but, had I the money for upgrading those R62/R62As, I would rather spend it on getting new cars with the technology. Why? Because there is no 100% guarantee that kind of upgrade will work. Go ahead and upgrade the R62/R62As, go ahead. You have to make them OOS and find cars to replace the ones NIS, and then send the cars that are NIS to the builders for the upgrades and reworking. Then you have to do test runs and make sure those things work. And what if the work is a sham? Are you going to rebuild it again?

You guys doesn't get it!!! You guys like to think the R-62/62A is so complicated, but it is not!!! I have three words for you people: DEAL WITH IT!!! Also, the R-188 is NOT NEEDED, close this thread since no body would calm their damnsleves down...

No you deal with the fact that R-62A's cannot be convert into CBTC.....your logic is invaild and useless. You have no proof that you can turn an older subway car into CBTC....the R-188's are needed so get the hell over it. Obviously you don't get it also. Thank you have a nice day. Stand clear of the closing post pls!

You guys doesn't get it!!! You guys like to think the R-62/62A is so complicated, but it is not!!! I have three words for you people: DEAL WITH IT!!! Also, the R-188 is NOT NEEDED, close this thread since no body would calm their damnsleves down...

If the R62A is not so complicated, tell me exactly and in full detail what you need to do to convert it to CTBC.

You don't think that CBTC is needed on the (7) line? Really? Really? Are you kidding me?

By the time you upgraded every R62A on the 7 for CBTC they'd be about 10 years away from retirement as opposed to 25 for the R142A. Don't you want the (MTA) to maximize the potential of the new cars which will last longer with the technology?

I don't know what I have to deal with! The R-62/62A will be capable of being CTBC, and just install what Fanrailer said! No need of buying a useless R-188! Just get over it...

Fanrailer proved it, and just wireless things around the R-62/62A and (7)<7> line, so if you mean the R-62 cannot be CTBC ready, all R-44, R-46, R-68 is not CTBC capable and that means Queens Blvd. Line and Jamaica Yard would need all NTT's... Just get over it...

I don't know either, GPS maybe... But that is all we need to have the R-62/62A be a CTBC train...

The R-188 is NOT NEEDED!!! And if this goes on close this thread!!!

handtohead.jpg

Well, Awwang, it was very nice of you to provide us with such a great debate marked with deliberate illogical statements topped with foam.

How about this:

DO IT YOURSELF.

You don't think that CBTC is needed on the (7) line? Really? Really? Are you kidding me?

By the time you upgraded every R62A on the 7 for CBTC they'd be about 10 years away from retirement as opposed to 25 for the R142A. Don't you want the (MTA) to maximize the potential of the new cars which will last longer with the technology?

You got my point, Kris. :cool:

I don't think CTBC is effective type of stuff other than bringing info on what train is next... It'll be only useful when the (7)<7> is in the tunnel... Around the Elevated section the (7)<7> is more visible... But, it'll be good and the R-62 would go fast with CTBC installed just like the current LED's...

LED and CBTC compatibility ARE TWO PIECES OF COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGY.

So? Overground visibility does not show whether CBTC is needed or not.

Archived