R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

come on guys, this is sooo off topic, talking about b division cars on an a division thread. seriously take this to the b division forum...

or just pm and argue there, no need for everyone to see this bs.

my opinion, the r44's suit me fine, and it's a treat to see one without the newspaper across the cab window, but seriously, they will need to go in a few years whether you like it or not.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. I know they arfe not living but in my words they have a soul, B)!!!

2. Goodness sake, it is still speeding up, so it is still speeding up!!! Possibly Jamaica station is in sight and they were forced to slow down!!! I know I am not there, and my source like nycsubway.org said it is still speeding up!!!

3. Make money and also possibly borrow some money from the bank and build my own 'train carrier' and lease a tugboat!!!

4. I know but it said 'still speeding up'... If you don't understand the words, I recommend you read it over and over again until it clears your confuzzled mind...

Damn, I'm done with this! This is just total nonsense.

come on guys, this is sooo off topic, talking about b division cars on an a division thread. seriously take this to the b division forum...

or just pm and argue there, no need for everyone to see this bs.

my opinion, the r44's suit me fine, and it's a treat to see one without the newspaper across the cab window, but seriously, they will need to go in a few years whether you like it or not.

Yeah, we ought to be back on topic.

Too bad this is not a poll, otherwise I would ask: Are the R188s worth ordering?

Since I asked that question already, let's hear your opinions.

Yeah, we ought to be back on topic.

Too bad this is not a poll, otherwise I would ask: Are the R188s worth ordering?

Since I asked that question already, let's hear your opinions.

Well, its a good idea in theory but it needs some changes:

1) Do not order any new cars

2) Instead of converting R142/A to CBTC, convert the R62A's at flushing yard to CBTC.

The converted CBTC R62A's will run on the (7)<7>.

simple right? so technically according to my idea... there won't be an R188.. simply getting to the MTA's goal of getting the (7)<7> CBTC.

So no, the R188 isn't worth ordering but the idea behind is worth implementing

Well, its a good idea in theory but it needs some changes:

1) Do not order any new cars

2) Instead of converting R142/A to CBTC, convert the R62A's at flushing yard to CBTC.

The converted CBTC R62A's will run on the (7)<7>.

simple right? so technically according to my idea... there won't be an R188.. simply getting to the MTA's goal of getting the (7)<7> CBTC.

So no, the R188 isn't worth ordering but the idea behind is worth implementing

That's so not going to work.....CBTC with older subway cars. They will be a R-188 in the future and I believe its worth ordering. NTT's have GPS (or not...so don't quote me on that). CBTC might be so-so on the (L) line but @ least you know when the next train is coming within minutes. I don't why ppl keep thinking older trains is going to last forever and forever!

the thing is the R62A's could last 25-30 more years... why retire them now? CBTC is a good idea. and why wouldn't it work on the R62A's? all you need to do is put all the technology and computers and GPS in it and its CBTC! part of the r188 plan is to convert r142/a's into CBTC... so they would doing the same thing except with R62A's in the (7)<7> yard. :cool:

the thing is the R62A's could last 25-30 more years... why retire them now? CBTC is a good idea. and why wouldn't it work on the R62A's? all you need to do is put all the technology and computers and GPS in it and its CBTC! part of the r188 plan is to convert r142/a's into CBTC... so they would doing the same thing except with R62A's in the (7)<7> yard. :cool:

But who said the R-188's are coming right now as this moment? We don't what it looks like. If the R-62A's retire then they retire early.....theres nothing you can do about it. CBTC is not going to work on older trains they got to redo the train and for all the work you might as well get a new train....if you notice newer trains and buses come with GPS!

But who said the R-188's are coming right now as this moment

Well the capital plan says around 2010-2013 so thats pretty soon. But you are right... who knows... they might come in 10, 20, 30 years! They may never come at all! But I don't think bankrupt MTA can afford trashing cars that work well.

But who said the R-188's are coming right now as this moment? We don't what it looks like. If the R-62A's retire then they retire early.....theres nothing you can do about it. CBTC is not going to work on older trains they got to redo the train and for all the work you might as well get a new train....if you notice newer trains and buses come with GPS!

IAWTP 100%

1. The MTA budget is very limited and the agency wants to cover up its "deficit"; so many of its proposals will probably be terminated

2. There is a plan for CBTC on the (7) but it is NOT happening soon and mini hippos are not CBTC compatible.

3. They should fix the bugs on the L CBTC system before moving on to other lines.

4. The 7 service is pretty decent in terms of frequency and does not need CBTC.

5. The R188 is actually a conversion of some existing NTTs to CBTC ready including a purchase of some new cars and conversion kits. They are not a new fleet themselves. The MTA is still looking for Bombardier and Kawasaki to do it and they still have to go through a long process which may take years.

Well, an overhaul will do some good on the R-62's to get CTBC compatibility... The R-142/142A is a no to the (7)<7>, I would not support it even if the (MTA) forces me... R-62 is good enough, yup I said good enough!

Yup agreed fully, (slightly off-topic): also the R-179 is replacing the also working well and new looking R-44's, so I feel the (MTA) should fix the infrastructure before buying all these new cars!

If I am the CEO/Chair/Management, I would rather keep the R-44 and R-46 until 2024 and replace them with the R-179, since it is just too much. Then around 2036 I'll combine the R-188 order with an R-189 order to replace R-62 and R-68... That is the real deal for financial 'stableness', although there will still be multi-million dollar debt lingering around...

THIS IS A DIVISION A FORUM, DO NOT TALK ABOUT PROPOSED OR EXISTING DIVISION B ROLLING STOCK HERE. STAY ON TOPIC.

whoever said they want the R44s to stay until 2024 is nuts. those cars will not survive past 2011. in fact, they performed so poorly in 2007 and 2008 that there are now rumors that (NYCT) is now planning a third option order of the R160s to replace the R44s and postpone the R179 order to 2015 to replace the R46s. lately, the R42s have been falling apart as well, now there are even rumors that R32s, not R42s, will be the last 60 footer to be retired

whoever said they want the R44s to stay until 2024 is nuts. those cars will not survive past 2011. in fact, they performed so poorly in 2007 and 2008 that there are now rumors that (NYCT) is now planning a third option order of the R160s to replace the R44s and postpone the R179 order to 2015 to replace the R46s. lately, the R42s have been falling apart as well, now there are even rumors that R32s, not R42s, will be the last 60 footer to be retired

Did you not read what MTR has posted? Stay on topic.

If I am lacking common sense, you are too... We are all human!

No, we're not all lacking common sense. Each individual on this planet has something others might have, and just because we are so called "humans" doesn't make us all related with one thing.

There's my point and 33rd St, here I have another example. AWWang is telling you that you don't have common sense too because we're all humans. See again, AWWang lacks common sense.

Do yourself a favor. Just shut up. You're lacking common sense.

Thank you.

No, we're not all lacking common sense. Each individual on this planet has something others might have, and just because we are so called "humans" doesn't make us all related with one thing.

There's my point and 33rd St, here I have another example. AWWang is telling you that you don't have common sense too because we're all humans. See again, AWWang lacks common sense.

Agreed.

I'm far too intelligent to lack common sense.

So am I

well i think this is my idea:

after they convert all R142/A's and get the 23 new R188 subway cars,they all will run on the (7)<7>

and then after 2022-2023 once the R62's start to get scrapped,the R188 option order I and II will come in.

just an idea:rolleyes:

There is no need to have new cars on the (7)<7>, the line is fine, the junior hippos are fine. It was intended that they wanted these cars for the CBTC thing, but since there is no CBTC installed, there is no good reason to have these cars, other than (OH MY GOD, NEW TRAINS). Secondly, the Flushing Line is fine without CBTC. In order for them to implement CBTC on that line, they must be ensured that the bugs on the CBTC L line are fixed and will not be reoccurring.

Additionally, I would not go as far as to say having option orders for the R188.. we don't even know if this "base order" is even going to be built. Perhaps in 20 or 30 years, there may be a new contract for newer cars. Who knows???

I'm not the smartest when it comes to the technology of the trains but the 62s were made in the 1980s so wouldn't it be a big job trying to make them compatible with CBTC? besides even testing out CBTC on them would be a big waste of money that the MTA doesn't even have. And where does the money come from? the sky? no, taxpayers/commuters. Also on another note in my opinion I'd rather put my life in the hands of a experienced T/O than a computer any day. The MTA is already in the crapper with the "genius" plan to buy over 1,000 160s at a million and change a car....so simply put PLEASE no CBTC for R62s

I'm not the smartest when it comes to the technology of the trains but the 62s were made in the 1980s so wouldn't it be a big job trying to make them compatible with CBTC? besides even testing out CBTC on them would be a big waste of money that the MTA doesn't even have. And where does the money come from? the sky? no, taxpayers/commuters. Also on another note in my opinion I'd rather put my life in the hands of a experienced T/O than a computer any day. The MTA is already in the crapper with the "genius" plan to buy over 1,000 160s at a million and change a car....so simply put PLEASE no CBTC for R62s

Thank you very much..

CBTC is not needed on the 7. Service and headways are fairly decent and the riders don't complain too much about them.

Fix those bugs on the L line's CBTC before moving on.

Archived