R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone even paying attention to the order? It says that these so-called R188s will be mainly conversions from existing cars, either the R142 or R142A. So if these R188s do come, nothing should be retired early. In all likelihood the R62As and R142/As would switch lines.

i agree man...

and i agree with flushingexpress, the R62/A could last 50(+?) years

R188s are useless now. Most commuters object to CBTC and ATO and R62/62As are still kicking ass. If the stainless steel body of the R32s have allowed them to reach 45 years in service, I am sure the R62/62As, which are made entirely out of that steel, can hit 50 before they have to go, so they can stay until 2030.

How do you know the R-188's are useless?????

I agree with FlushingExpress, the R-62/62A's are really nice, they can also overhaul the R-62 if they want CTBC/ATO... But, I feel the R-62, even R-44s, R-46s and R-68s does not need to retire for now... They are abosolutly running in great shape...

R44s are definitely not in good shape, as soon as the R160 order is complete, the R179 order will begin. R44s' scheduled retirement is from 2011-2013. R46s will start to go in 2015 or 2016. R62s and R68s do not need to retire for another 20 years

What? R-44 and R-46 is in 4.5 Star out of 5 star shape! The R-62 and R-68 is in relitivly in good state. The R-179, I hope carries some traits from the R-44 and R-46.

the R179s will be a 75 foot version of the R160s. i personally hate the R44s because they are ugly soda cans that have too much air in their brakes and all sorts of other problems that killed the st louis car company in 1973 and continues to plague those cars today. R46s are better than them in every way. R62/62A and R68/68As are one of my favorites due to their symmetrical appearances, though the one thing that shoots the 68s down is that they are the slowest cars in the system

What the hell? The R-44 is not soda cans, they are lovely rapid transit cars, they even can go to 90-100 mph in fact! Don't hate them, love them. The R-46 is my home car, don't say any negative word on them! I only agree with you on the R-179 thing and R-62/R-68. The R-68 is slow in speed-up and slow-down, but can run fast between stations that are far from each other.

Dude, opinions...

What the hell? The R-44 is not soda cans, they are lovely rapid transit cars, they even can go to 90-100 mph in fact! Don't hate them, love them. The R-46 is my home car, don't say any negative word on them! I only agree with you on the R-179 thing and R-62/R-68. The R-68 is slow in speed-up and slow-down, but can run fast between stations that are far from each other.

Don't let your love overstep the facts:

1. Who said they were soda cans?

2. Show me the proof that they could go 90-100 mph

3. Don't get so beefed up when somebody insults your "favourite" cars. It is not cool. Appreciate trains.

i never liked the R44s and never will!!! 60 footers will always outrun 75 footers. R44s may have acheived record speed during their test runs, but they must have busted a lot of components while at it.

Don't let your love overstep the facts:

1. Who said they were soda cans?

2. Show me the proof that they could go 90-100 mph

3. Don't get so beefed up when somebody insults your "favourite" cars. It is not cool. Appreciate trains.

Really, I don't think R44s can go 90-100 mph.

And PS, how many "favorite" trains do you have, Mr. Wang?

the R179s will be a 75 foot version of the R160s. i personally hate the R44s because they are ugly soda cans that have too much air in their brakes and all sorts of other problems that killed the st louis car company in 1973 and continues to plague those cars today. R46s are better than them in every way. R62/62A and R68/68As are one of my favorites due to their symmetrical appearances, though the one thing that shoots the 68s down is that they are the slowest cars in the system

R44's outperformed the R46 in MDBF this year, so the 44's are more relible than the 46's.

NO NYCT subway car can go to 90-100 MPH. You'd be lucky if you get to 55 MPH on a 44 theres no way they can go 90 to 100 MPH. Even back in the day when before the slowdown 44's cound'nt get anywhere NEAR 90-100 MPH. Heck, LIRR and SEPTA commter trains can't even get to 90 to 100 MPH so makes you that the 44's can go 90 to 100 MPH?

Well, I feel bad for the R-44... Poor thing, they could do into 100's...

Well, the R-44 test on the LIRR says it is still incresing speed (87 MPH and adding) when it nears Jamaica, unfortunatly they slowed down since that is the end of the test.

Before overhaul, and my reply above says it all, B)!

My faves are the R-32, R-44 and R-46 in the NYC Subway...

Path: PA-1, 2, 3 and 4. LIRR/MNR: The M-1, 2, 3, 4 and 6.

And also the Hudson Bergan Light Rail/Newark Light Rail Cars

Okay, whatever...

1. FlushingExpress said it.

2. The R-44 test on the LIRR, they are fast!

3. But, I am appreciating trains, they aren't...

1. Okay, but still... don't go OVER-DEFENSIVE over your favourite cars.

2. NO, NO, NO. The top speed they calculated was 87 mph on straight track. That was the fastest they can do. However nearly 40 years past and they are degeared. As someone said, to even go 55mph on the R44 is a treat.

3. Appreciating trains does not mean YOU LOVE THEM TO DEATH... or that you get over-defensive when somebody insults your "favourite" cars. Dude, like get over with it... nothing lasts in the subway. One day, the R44s are going to the ocean. Likewise for the 46s, the hippos and the mini-hippos and the NTTs... nothing lasts.

4. Even then... even if they were accelerating...

A. I can fully say, you were NOT there at that time when the test was done. You probably did not even know what the speedometer said.

B. This is a single test. Aside from proving high speed subway service feasibility, it does not prove anything else much.

C. With, on average, the close proximity of stations put, there is no way for the train to go past even 60mph.

5. Those are your favourites, right? Don't get overdefensive when people "insult" your favourite cars. Don't get personal with them. They are cars... what people use to get to work or school on. They are use by the milions. I do not treat them as a member of my family or a girlfriend. They are not humans nor are they living, therefore I cannot associate with them closely nor do I have strong emotions with them.

1. Okay, I won't but people are insulting those poor R-44's... And remember, they run on the SIR too!

2. Eh, 87Mph is the top speed recorded but still, the train is still speeding up when it reached 87Mph and it is nearing Jamaica so they had to slow it down, I can bet it can go to 100Mph maybe 120Mph if they extended the run from Penn Station to Ronkonkama...

3. I know, I'll try to save the SIR R-44's if I can... And sorry for the poor conditoned (A) R-44's.

4. Huh?!?

A. I know, but I got info from nycsubway.org and can tell what is going on!

B. I know, you don't have to explain it too much.

C. Well, this is after the overhaul, before the overhaul, it is like a real car engine!

5. Yeah, I know, don't have to explain the third time...

1. Listen boy, how about this... IGNORE THEIR (quote on quote) INSULTS. Those cars are not living, or human, or are a part of your kin.

2. Dude... I told you... you are not on the thing... how fast was it accelerating? For how long? You did not check the speedometer at that time. So how are you supposed to know?

3. How would you save those cars??? How??? JUST GET OVER WITH IT.

4. Yes, the information is on the site, but your reading it is a secondhand experience. Which means you did not witness the thing itself.

Archived