R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From some foamer's lips or whatever . If you've been reading the newspapers or watching TV recently new cars are not in the budget or pipeline for NYCT and won't be even if Albany or NYC could help the (MTA). If these cuts all go in effect there will be trains and buses sitting in yards and depots unused. Case closed.

Well, if the buses and trains sit in the depots and yards all day then at least it would be easier for the maintence teams being that the equipment is not logging up as much mileage.

This is just silly to have R-142's converted... I'd rather see new R-188's come...

No way Id reather see 473 R142/R142A converted to R188 instead of having lot of R188 coming to replace the R62/R62A. And anyways there will be 23 R188 only coming as new subway cars so the R62/R62A will not retire early but they will be removed from the (7)/<7> and transfering to another IRT route.

Yeah, I know! That is why I am against the R-142 and R-142A's on the (7)<7> as well as even converting them! :D!

Well guess what one way or another the (7)<7> line will getting new subway cars.....it don't matter if its R-142, R-142A, R-142S, R-188. 2nd of all there's nothing wrong with the R-142's!

I just hope the R62/R62A don't retire early. The R188 are not needed at all.

I Agree, they should let 62A's stay on the (7) until there 40 years old. I hear that they didn't even get CBTC working right on the (L) line yet. I think the MTA should get CBTC 100% working on the (L) line and THEN put it on the (7). But I think the lex ((4)(5)(6)) should get CBTC before the (7) IMO.

Is anyone even paying attention to the order? It says that these so-called R188s will be mainly conversions from existing cars, either the R142 or R142A. So if these R188s do come, nothing should be retired early. In all likelihood the R62As and R142/As would switch lines.

The R62/R62A will retire in 2027 when they are 40 years old.

Honestly, I were you, I would not be going around giving any dates for their retirement, because, it's TOO FAR into the future to talk about it.

And about the CBTC thing, the MTA should fix the bugs on the (L)'s CBTC system and make sure it works before going around installing CBTC. IMO, the (7), excluding the G.O's, is the most reliable line in the IRT. It does not need the CBTC. How can the MTA guarantee it will work, go off looking for contractors for converting existing R142s into CBTC ready when the CBTC system on the (L) is still effing up?

R188s are useless now. Most commuters object to CBTC and ATO and R62/62As are still kicking ass. If the stainless steel body of the R32s have allowed them to reach 45 years in service, I am sure the R62/62As, which are made entirely out of that steel, can hit 50 before they have to go, so they can stay until 2030.

R188s are useless now. Most commuters object to CBTC and ATO and R62/62As are still kicking ass. If the stainless steel body of the R32s have allowed them to reach 45 years in service, I am sure the R62/62As, which are made entirely out of that steel, can hit 50 before they have to go, so they can stay until 2030.

Word up.

You're right, the R62/A are still doing great!

Archived