R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

Thank you very much..

CBTC is not needed on the 7. Service and headways are fairly decent and the riders don't complain too much about them.

Fix those bugs on the L line's CBTC before moving on.

While I agree the R188's are a waste of money and time and cBTC is not needed for the (7)<7>, if the R188 were to happen in few years I just think it would make more sense for the R62A's at Flushing to get converted.

Also, why would it be harder to convert R62A's than o convert R142/A's? The only difference in technology is that the R142/A can make automatic announcements.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I agree the R188's are a waste of money and time and cBTC is not needed for the (7)<7>, if the R188 were to happen in few years I just think it would make more sense for the R62A's at Flushing to get converted.

Also, why would it be harder to convert R62A's than o convert R142/A's? The only difference in technology is that the R142/A can make automatic announcements.

The thing is, given the kind of economy we are facing and the constant threat we hear about service cuts and fare hikes, how about this: Forget the R188s

Well yes, because if the R142s are converted for use on the Flushing Line they have to go transfer onto IND/BMT trackage in order to reach Corona Yard, because as we all know, the only physical connection that the Flushing Line has is at Queensboro Plaza, and that is a connection to the BMT lines.

Yes it would be more difficult to convert Junior Hippos to NTTs. There are more upgrades than say prerecorded announcements, LEDs, realtime information displays (FIND or the strip map).. talk about the cab, it has to be upgraded too... so it is alot.

I hope those people are not us.

Anymore worthy things to say about the R188?

I don't know any of you well enough to say if that applies to you. But I'm somewhat suspicious of those boast about how smart they supposedly are.

NO! http://www.nycsubway.org/cars/r142.html for starters, read and scroll down to new technology.

Again the R-188's are not a waste of money....times are changing and we are getting more rapid with technology so therefore some lines will get new trains with or w/o CBTC.....so if the (7)<7> get the R-188's oh well they will get them. You can't convert R-62A's into the R-142/R-142A's thats impossible and crazy. I don't want CBTC's on the (7)<7>, but I can't do anything about it @ least I would know how long I would to wait for a train

Again the R-188's are not a waste of money....times are changing and we are getting more rapid with technology so therefore some lines will get new trains with or w/o CBTC.....so if the (7)<7> get the R-188's oh well they will get them. You can't convert R-62A's into the R-142/R-142A's thats impossible and crazy. I don't want CBTC's on the (7)<7>, but I can't do anything about it @ least I would know how long I would to wait for a train

Can you convert an '84 Chevy to a '09 Chevy ? That's what trying to make an R62A into something compatible with the new tech signal systems is. Heck, the new tech trains are having trouble with CBTC or ATS technology signalling. I agree with CurAke79.

Can you convert an '84 Chevy to a '09 Chevy ? That's what trying to make an R62A into something compatible with the new tech signal systems is. Heck, the new tech trains are having trouble with CBTC or ATS technology signalling. I agree with CurAke79.

Can you install A/C, Navigation system, upgrade tires etc. on this '84 Chevy? Yes, all they would to is add the proper computers and technology

ok fine, but trucks and how the cars are linked have nothing to do with CBTC

Didn't say it did. Just pointing out to you that the R-142s have much more new technology than simply an automated announcement system. To learn more about "New Technology Trains", you should (for starters) check out that site.

Can you install A/C, Navigation system, upgrade tires etc. on this '84 Chevy? Yes, all they would to is add the proper computers and technology

Obviously you have never seen the underside, or innerworkings of a train car. They are spec'd so that there is no excess space to add anything to them. There is also the weight factor, Each truck and undercarriage component is measured and weighed for clearances etc. Your software and black boxes are sealed and protected on NTT equipment. Where would they fit on an R62A car? FWIW '84 Chevy's had factory air and you could order it with an assortment of tires and rims. As for navigation equipment TomTom, Magellan and Garmin will hook you up, and take up no space to boot. Can't see that working on a 25 year old Bombardier though. They(NYCT) don't even have spare parts for the original equipment. That's the main reason for the 5 car units out there. Less brake valves, washers, horns, wiper motors ,etc. to replace. And now the (MTA) is broke again.

Well, I would couter you on $1,000! :P!

Haha, messing around like this is an Auction!

Yes, me too! I am not mad at all, I am laughing!

Me too, some intellegent people just lack common sense...

The R-188 are USELESS!!!

Yup, that is 100% true...

Agreed!

That is the better thing, at least I may not be in NYC by that time...

I fully agree with it, and I was just trying to tell it out with harming anyone's feelings but well, yes it is just on Wikipedia, no other reliable source... The R-179 is more possible, since the news came directly from the system whom it is going to...

Priceless.

There is a bid for the R188 by the MTA, however until production is occurring, I am not believing a cent in this.

I made my point clear, and I feel that there is no need for Mr Wang to quote everyone else just to repeat or agree on what everyone else said.

So, I don;t have the 'fast finger type'. Need to agree somehow to tell my opinion or create polls, which is locked here! And don't start a flame war you...

Yes, the R-188 is under bid process, but it may not happen anytime soon. The (MTA) will have to consider it's budget after/before bid...

Okay, I think the point is reached about the R188, it is not needed.

So, I don;t have the 'fast finger type'. Need to agree somehow to tell my opinion or create polls, which is locked here! And don't start a flame war you...

Yes, the R-188 is under bid process, but it may not happen anytime soon. The (MTA) will have to consider it's budget after/before bid...

Telling him not to start a flame war? Ok sure thing Mr. Let's wear a jacket entirely out of $100 bills and walk through Harlem at night and hope not to get shot up the ass!

Anyway, IDK WTF you guys are smoking but R188s are definitely needed for CBTC on the Flushing Line. Maybe this is because I used to (and can) take the (7) in at least one direction every day but the line needs more service to accomodate the crowding. With CBTC you can run more express AND local service without having to worry about the merge at QBP. Not to mention Main St. as a terminal and all the timers along the line. It's not very mandatory right now but as soon as they get CBTC right on the L they should get this on the (7). Why? Cuz if they get it right on the (7) it goes straight to the (E)(F), which DESPERATELY Need CBTC.

Okay, don't start... I also won't even wear a jacket made entirely out of 100 buck bills, unless if I am stupid... Appreantly, I am not stupid...

But you know what, the R-62 can be converted to CTBC ready if you want to know... The R-188 is not needed, and we already agreed the R-188 is not needed, and if people continue to ramble and attack people, this thread sure need to close...

Lawd have mercy.....how can the R-62A's be converted to CBTC? I don't how many times I've asked that question....it can't and its damn near impossible. Who is "we"? I speak for myself and so shall you. The (7)<7> line is getting R-188's regardless if you like it or not

The R-188 is Not Needed. And a R-62 having a Overhaul and modification would make it CTBC ready. Especially if they install GPS and CTBC equiptment on to the R-62... It isn't hard as you think... And okay, whatever about flame wars... And I know people can speak for themselves...

R-188 is needed and will be ordered so you'll get over it....2nd of all you can not overhaul a R-62A an older subway with GPS and CBTC it will totally fail and its impossible. Thats like putting Windows Vista into a computer from the 1995.....it will crash and/or not work properly. Does that make any sense? No it doesn't. CBTC and GPS will work with new equiptment!

The R-188 is Not Needed. And a R-62 having a Overhaul and modification would make it CTBC ready. Especially if they install GPS and CTBC equiptment on to the R-62... It isn't hard as you think... And okay, whatever about flame wars... And I know people can speak for themselves...

The R188s is needed. Those R62As @ Corona Yard wont last very long with all the little experiments the MTA is making Corona Yard do to those cars.

Installing GPS and CBTC IS HARD to install on old equipment, cause you may never know what might exactly happen, though in general, CBTC is a bad idea for every line in my opinion. But most likely, new equipment such as GPS and CBTC standard controls may not be compatible with the R62As, but I could be wrong.

Archived