Compressed Natural Gas-Hybrid Electric Bus?

Around the Horn

Where do they store the batteries on these things? Seems like the whole roof is taken up by the CNG tanks

I'd guess front 2 partitions of rooftop cover are CNG and back partition is batteries.

ahh. Seems like a dangerous combo to me, but ok

One of the reasons you will never see them in this city. Another reason being that these things are probably extremely expensive, both to purchase and to maintain. I also believe (just speculating based off of my knowledge of CNG and diesel electric buses) that the extreme heat generated by the CNG engine will cut the life of the hybrid components substantially.

One of the reasons you will never see them in this city. Another reason being that these things are probably extremely expensive, both to purchase and to maintain. I also believe (just speculating based off of my knowledge of CNG and diesel electric buses) that the extreme heat generated by the CNG engine will cut the life of the hybrid components substantially.

good to know. Your insider info is always helpful with inderstanding these new technologies

This falls under the idea of just because you can make it, doesn't mean that you should. You already have 2 components with definite lifespan limits on the bus (the CNG tanks, usually certified for 15 or 20 years) and the batteries, which generally are for about 8 years or so. Plus, the sheer weight reduces the overall passenger capacity of the bus. (NJT's D4000 hybrids can only have 8 standees and NJT's 102D3 CNGs have a standing capacity of only 4 because of that).

Archived