B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no residency requirement for this position.

Your D/L or CDL must be valid in the State of New York for three years prior to appointment. So as long as you have driving privileges from any jurisdiction recognized in accordance with New York law, you should be good to go.

At Yukon on Staten Island, there are B/O's from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

From the job announcement (which everyone should keep a copy):
http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf

Driver License Requirement: At the time of appointment, you must possess either:
1. A Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) valid in the State of New York, with a passenger
endorsement and no restrictions that would disqualify you from performing the duties of this position; or
2. A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York and a CDL Learner Permit with a passenger
endorsement and no restrictions as referenced in #1 above.
Your CDL or motor vehicle license, or any combination thereof, must have been valid in the State of New
York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position.

Edited by 161passenger

So if that's the case why do the notice of exammination for exam 2613 say u need a NY LICENSE? y don't it just say all u need a valid class b permit/license? What didn't I spell correct? U need to take ya own advice & spell correct.

Hey thats why i said attempt. Im not perfect thats why i said ATTEMPT maybe like 'you' instead of 'u'. Good place to start

Hey thats why i said attempt. Im not perfect thats why i said ATTEMPT maybe like 'you' instead of 'u'. Good place to start

What is this English 101? I gotta add the "y & o" for "you" instead of just writing "u"? You ever heard of "make a long story short"?

There is no residency requirement for this position.

Your D/L or CDL must be valid in the State of New York for three years prior to appointment. So as long as you have driving privileges from any jurisdiction recognized in accordance with New York law, you should be good to go.

At Yukon on Staten Island, there are B/O's from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

From the job announcement (which everyone should keep a copy):

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf

I bet some people here will still say that you are wrong, and you must have NY CDL in order to drive for MTA.

Some of these people dont realy care for the answer,  they just ask a question and start the flame war

I bet some people here will still say that you are wrong, and you must have NY CDL in order to drive for MTA.

Some of these people dont realy care for the answer, they just ask a question and start the flame war

u need a ny license to get in the door. Did u not read the NOE he posted? The ppl with out of state license prob changed it once they had some yrs on the job. Y would mta put info on the noe and don't go by it?

Plus New Jersey and Pennsylvania is a hop skip and a jump from New York. you could drive to work from those states. no one is driving to work five days a week from Georgia since it's a person with a GA Cdl that started this discussion.

Some of these people dont realy care for the answer, they just ask a question and start the flame waru need a ny license to get in the door. Did u not read the NOE he posted? The ppl with out of state license prob changed it once they had some yrs on the job. Y would mta put info on the noe and don't go by it?

Thats exactly what happen.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

u need a ny license to get in the door. Did u not read the NOE he posted? The ppl with out of state license prob changed it once they had some yrs on the job. Y would mta put info on the noe and don't go by it?

ARE YOU AN IDIOT ???????

LET ME COPY AND PASTE IT FOR YOU ONE MORE TIME.

Driver License Requirement: At the time of appointment, you must possess either:

1. A Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) valid in the State of New York, with a passenger

endorsement and no restrictions that would disqualify you from performing the duties of this position; or

2. A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York and a CDL Learner Permit with a passenger

endorsement and no restrictions as referenced in #1 above.

Your CDL or motor vehicle license, or any combination thereof, must have been valid in the State of New

York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position.

any state  LICENSE WILL BE OK. READ IT CAREFULLY.  i even change the font size of the important part for you.

Thats exactly what happen. Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

No shit !

That dude is DUMB

ARE YOU AN IDIOT ???????

LET ME COPY AND PASTE IT FOR YOU ONE MORE TIME.

endorsement and no restrictions as referenced in #1 above.Your CDL or motor vehicle license, or any combination thereof, must have been valid in the State of New

any state  LICENSE WILL BE OK. READ IT CAREFULLY.  i even change the font size of the important part for you.

Thats exactly what happen. Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

No shit !

That dude is DUMB

Why is people in this thread love insulting others. I dont see anything beside "any combination" which doesnt mean any states.

2. Some of you guys needs to take a chill pill. Instead of calling other people insulting name or what not, just remember most of us are aiming for the same thing. And if you are already employed by MTA , you were in the same place before you got hired when it comes to trying to get the right wuestions answers. This thread is for positive useful resource that others are sharing. I can only imagine how many of you will be place out of service when they do a check ride on you and test how you respond to customers.

DD, There will be lots of rules that people must read and adhere too in MTA, and reading VALID IN NY STATE as VALID NY STATE LICENSE will change the meaning of the statement.

ok so let me ask you this....Are you currently working for MTA and if so on the day HR called you in, what state DL did you provide them?

I had NY CDL Class A license before I started working for MTA.

I remember there was someone with me in the class, who was told to bring an abstract to the second day of class, or he will be turned away ( My gues that had something to do with his out of state license. MTA cant pull abstract from other states. )

The copy from PDF is very clear Any license that is VALID in NY. So that means CT or CA or FL would be accepted. Learn to trust  the rules that writen , and follow them. Because your rules and contract are the only two things that will save your ass.

Dinero, los cuartos, la mullah, LOL mee tooo.LOL

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Believe it or not, finances is secondary for me. I just want to operate a bus. Gimme and Orion V or and Orion VII NG and I'll be in bliss. I would love to operate an MCI or Prevost express bus, but May have to move way up in seniority for that!!!

Dinero, los cuartos, la mullah, LOL mee tooo.LOL

Believe it or not, finances is secondary for me. I just want to operate a bus. Gimme and Orion V or and Orion VII NG and I'll be in bliss. I would love to operate an MCI or Prevost express bus, but May have to move way up in seniority for that!!!

Wow that is really admirable it seems that you have the passion for the job. Well I have been driving for some years now and what I am seeking is the better retirement and the fact that I love driving will help