B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

We'll have to await the vacancy announcement.

As of today 12/15/2013 MTA has not yet posted the 2014 Examination Schedule:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/

FYI. The first half of 2014 exam schedule is out (until June 2014).

http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/appexam.htm

I'm tempted to drop an application for Revenue Equipment Maintainer,  most of my IT experience has been in an analyst and administrator role - not exactly what they're looking for methinks, I am now getting more into the technical/infrastructure "technician" role. Hmmm.. If it wasn't $81 bucks.  :unsure:

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: I've read from the 2613 forum and so far it took a year from testing to BOSS, recieving phone calls, prehiring, etc. I'm confused because not many people have passed 2613, according to the forum, plus the mta has the other TA list (2613) to finish with 3k+ candidates (plus or minus those whose list number was called). Since they need drivers, and also revenue from generating these tests in the first place, is 4600 to be that fortunate to start and finish like 2613? Or is it a long shot before they even move on to the 4600 list entirely? Btw I will just be "forgetting" about it until I recieve mail notification, but I really enjoyed following 2613 all the way through until 10 day training (I was supposed to take that exam). I hope to follow this one the way through. .

If you pass the exam, they will send you a letter to come take the BOSS exam. After the boss exam if you pass that, they will send you your test score and where you place on the list. Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

100% wrong !

First you will get as score, and based on that you will be given a list number. As they will need people , they will offer BOSS based on the list number.

I have not hear of anyone failing BOSS. There is no right or wrong answer, and there is no score.

If you pass the exam, they will send you a letter to come take the BOSS exam. After the boss exam if you pass that, they will send you your test score and where you place on the list. Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

100% wrong !

First you will get as score, and based on that you will be given a list number. As they will need people , they will offer BOSS based on the list number.

I have not hear of anyone failing BOSS. There is no right or wrong answer, and there is no score.

I dont know where you getting that information from bud..2613 had to take a boss exam if they passed the first written exam. And on the letter it stated that a BOSS exam will be giving to the following. And yesssss you can fail the Boss exam if your answers are not accurate to the first 3 repeated questions they ask 6-7 times but differently. I took exam 3101 and they ask a specific question on that exam 5 times.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I dont know where you getting that information from bud..2613 had to take a boss exam if they passed the first written exam. And on the letter it stated that a BOSS exam will be giving to the following. And yesssss you can fail the Boss exam if your answers are not accurate to the first 3 repeated questions they ask 6-7 times but differently. I took exam 3101 and they ask a specific question on that exam 5 times.

Its a competition, MTA will not hire all applicants. Only the best of the best that passes the different stages will be offered a position officially. You can score 99 on the exam and still dont make it to the final chapter

100% wrong !

& you 200% wrong. He was correct the first time? Did u take exam 2613? Which is no by the answer u wrote. They don't wanna waste time sending u a list # then send u a letter to take the boss. Then u fail the boss and they gotta send u another letter telling u that u failed.

100% wrong !

Things were probably different when Bus Operator Olegkha was hired. Mind I ask, where did you take your BOSS exam? At 180 Livingston Street during the week or at a high school on the weekend?

What happened for exam 2613 is they gave the initial civil service exam back in January. Next since NYC Transit does the exams, they gave the BOSS on a weekend in late June during Regents week, before the schools officially closed for summer vacation. If you successfully passed both of these exams, you were then mailed a letter with your score from the civil service examination and your list number in Mid-November.

According to the instructors from Empire Exam Services, when DCAS was conducting the initial civil service examination, they would only give the civil service examination. As a result, a list came out. Then, when people started getting called by NYC Transit, the first thing they would do at 180 Livingston Street is take the BOSS exam before beginning the hiring process, which includes the drug test. That's why Olegkha probably said "As they will need people, they will offer BOSS based on the list number." 

Ok, i could be wrong,

We did get our list numbers for two tests that i took (5025 and 8006 ? i think those were two tests), and as they needed people,they would call for BOSS ( and really, you have got to be a moron to fail BOSS )

Boss was given at 180 Livingston.

I can admit if I am wrong ( very seldom ;)  )

Ok, i could be wrong,

We did get our list numbers for two tests that i took (5025 and 8006 ? i think those were two tests), and as they needed people,they would call for BOSS ( and really, you have got to be a moron to fail BOSS )

Boss was given at 180 Livingston.

I can admit if I am wrong ( very seldom ;)  )

It's okay...if BOSS was given at 180 Livingston Street, then NYC DCAS was doing the Bus Operator exams at the time (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808006000.pdf).

lets say that exam number 2613 finishes faster before reaching  the exp date then they will start calling people from the 4600  once they start calling people from the 4600 that's when the date start for 4600 then  then it will be lets say like you said start calling in april 2015 from this date till 4 or 5 years correct, so chances are they can finish the whole 4600 list before the exp date, is it correct

lets say that exam number 2613 finishes faster before reaching  the exp date then they will start calling people from the 4600  once they start calling people from the 4600 that's when the date start for 4600 then  then it will be lets say like you said start calling in april 2015 from this date till 4 or 5 years correct, so chances are they can finish the whole 4600 list before the exp date, is it correct

It depends primarily on two things - how many people pass exam 4600 (and the BOSS exam that goes along with it) and how many Bus Operators the agency needs. Let's say for example that the TA continues to hire 200 Bus Operators per month and at least 9,600 people passed both exams (exam 4600 & the BOSS). Then, the list should be good for 4 years, since 9,600 (total # of people) divided by 200 (# of people hired per month) equals 48 (48 months, or 4 years) to finish the entire 4600 list.

If at least 12,000 people pass 4600 & the BOSS, then the list will be good for 5 years, if they decide to extend it another year.

Now, if only 4,800 people passed the exam, and the TA still hires 200 Bus Operators per month, then 4,800 divided by 200 equals 24 months, or 2 years. Therefore, in this case, another exam would have to be given in late 2015 or early 2016.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

i have a question what is the boss exam 

The BOSS (Bus Operator Selective Survey) is a mini-psychological exam that the MTA gives in an effort to weed out some of the people they are not looking for. Another description is "The BOSS (Bus Operator Selection Survey) is a personality test to see what kind of person you are when it comes to operating a transit bus; your interactions with the passengers, coworkers, and bosses; and your tardiness at the job. It contains 75 multiple-choice questions and you have 75 minutes to complete it. If you really want to be a bus operator, DO NOT mark down the truth answers! Mark down the "what they want to hear" answers. Some of the questions will be repeated 2-3 times, but in different wording, so your answers must be consistent," according to SubChat.

One sample question which is on this exam is:

"I never feel in a rush, even under pressure."

a) Strongly Agree

b) Agree

c) Neutral

d) Disagree

e) Strongly Disagree

The answer they are looking for is 'B' cause as a Bus Operator, you are on a timetable, and especially in inclement weather, safety is a priority, especially when you have customers.

There is a class that does prepare you for the BOSS exam in which they practically give you the questions and answers that are going to be on it. As we get closer to the exam date, I'll post more information about it.

i have a question what is the boss exam 

The BOSS (Bus Operator Selective Survey) is a mini-psychological exam that the MTA gives in an effort to weed out some of the people they are not looking for. Another description is "The BOSS (Bus Operator Selection Survey) is a personality test to see what kind of person you are when it comes to operating a transit bus; your interactions with the passengers, coworkers, and bosses; and your tardiness at the job. It contains 75 multiple-choice questions and you have 75 minutes to complete it. If you really want to be a bus operator, DO NOT mark down the truth answers! Mark down the "what they want to hear" answers. Some of the questions will be repeated 2-3 times, but in different wording, so your answers must be consistent," according to SubChat.

One sample question which is on this exam is:

"I never feel in a rush, even under pressure."

a) Strongly Agree

b) Agree

c) Neutral

d) Disagree

e) Strongly Disagree

The answer they are looking for is 'B' cause as a Bus Operator, you are on a timetable, and especially in inclement weather, safety is a priority, especially when you have customers.

There is a class that does prepare you for the BOSS exam in which they practically give you the questions and answers that are going to be on it. As we get closer to the exam date, I'll post more information about it.

I will be paying attention for that post Young. Can you tell if Empire exams will be conducting that class or another place

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk