B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with @Y2drag. Yesterday was day 10 for the recent class that was in training. So classes hiring sizes varied. But lately there's been more OA over TA in the classes according to my sources.

I was in that class, out of about 55 people who passed the 10 training about 6 was TA 5 was MTABUS the rest including myself was OA.

Be prepare to get force to Quens or Staten Island when u guys pass the 10 days line training. They have been forcing B/O all over to go Queens or SI cause they needed B/O there. I was in Brooklyn and was force to Queens and now I'm back in Brooklyn, 3 depots in 2 years !

Nice thanks for the respond...

No problem. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I PM you...Don't want to throw off the topic on the thread.

Thank you! Worse comes to worse, feel free to create another thread, if necessary...

To me the 10 days training was a lot of pressure , basically you have to either pass on the 7th day if not, you will get another try on the 9th day, if that fail, you will get a finale try on the "10th day" which will have 2 superintendents to monitor your test. So hopefully you guys will pass on the 7th day. I pass on the 9th day. Good luck !

I'll look into this...give me a few days.

First, I will say that it is ultimately up to the hiring needs. I did hear from a few people, who passed the 10-day training session, compared to me, that at first, they had to pick whichever depot had vacancies for drivers, however, he/she were able to eventually transfer to either a Queens or Staten Island Depot, based on where they lived, their commute, etc.

Now, as far as TA/OA, from my perspective:

MaBSTOA = Manhattan and The Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, which is any depot in Manhattan & The Bronx, respectively.

TA = NYC Transit, which is any depot within the 5 boroughs, including Queens. In addition, from my understanding, once you pick into a Queens or Staten Island Depot, that is it!! In other words, you cannot transfer out, or transfer to another depot for whatever reason as a Bus Operator. Now, as a Bus Operator, if you get promoted to Train Operator, Superintendent of the Dept. of Buses, then that's a different story.

So there is a TA in Queens? And if I pick that, that would be my perminate spot?

Fresh pond is brooklyn division. Though They have some lines that service queens.

Same for Grand Ave.

Yes

So there is a TA in Queens? And if I pick that, that would be my perminate spot?

Yes.. The reason why picking Queens or Staten Island Depot is a life time stay is because they have different Union compare to the rest of transit division which uses TWU local 100.

Fresh pond is TA depot in Queens.

Fresh Pond is in Brooklyn.

@prevostlove. Where did you think the pressure stems from? What is so hard that made he/she give up or so much pressure for trainees?

The pressure comes from wanting the job so badly that you don't want to fail, For me it was lot's of sleepless nights,replaying the mistakes in my head and figuring out how to fix them. If you really want to pass the 10 day training you have to learn from all the errors you make, speak to the superintendent and ask how they would or wouldn't approach something you did wrong, constantly asking questions especially if you don't understand something. Watch what your fellow trainee's are doing right and wrong. Challenge yourself to step up to the next level. I made a mistake on day 5 (had to back up) and on day 6 (didn't identify left pivot turn and hit a median with back left tire) i automatically had to go to day 9, i didn't sweat it though because day 8 and 9 was the best i ever handled the bus. I learned from my previous errors and improved. Then i passed the cdl road test. My best advice is find a way to relax and focus,and read the manual atleast 3x a day. Im currently doing line training and hope to be graduating this or next week!

The pressure comes from wanting the job so badly that you don't want to fail, For me it was lot's of sleepless nights,replaying the mistakes in my head and figuring out how to fix them. If you really want to pass the 10 day training you have to learn from all the errors you make, speak to the superintendent and ask how they would or wouldn't approach something you did wrong, constantly asking questions especially if you don't understand something. Watch what your fellow trainee's are doing right and wrong. Challenge yourself to step up to the next level. I made a mistake on day 5 (had to back up) and on day 6 (didn't identify left pivot turn and hit a median with back left tire) i automatically had to go to day 9, i didn't sweat it though because day 8 and 9 was the best i ever handled the bus. I learned from my previous errors and improved. Then i passed the cdl road test. My best advice is find a way to relax and focus,and read the manual atleast 3x a day. Im currently doing line training and hope to be graduating this or next week!

Not only that, from my experience, Day 8 you can make all the mistakes you want, while Day 9 has to be perfect, which is a repeat of Day 5 or 6 (in uptown Manhattan). In addition, you get a fresh Superintendent as well. These two factors are probably why a lot of people qualify on Day 9.

Not only that, from my experience, Day 8 you can make all the mistakes you want, while Day 9 has to be perfect, which is a repeat of Day 5 or 6 (in uptown Manhattan). In addition, you get a fresh Superintendent as well. These two factors are probably why a lot of people qualify on Day 9.

Agreed even tho i think i still would of passed with my original trainer, i needed the extra days to sharpen my skills,i treated day 8 like it was day 9 and day 9 like it was day 10 because i really didnt want to go to day 10.

forgot to thank all the people who supplied key information in this thread, i read the entire thread and probably couldn't pass the training without it, reading some of the training stories made me nervous.

You're welcome, glad to be of assistance. Offhand, any feedback about these handouts, which I originally obtained in 2014?

I think it's all depend on the individual , and it also has to do with the superintendent demeanor. Put it this way, 7 days is not a lot of time for you to get used to the bus you are training with unless you have driven the type of bus that we're being train on. Although there's going to be only 4 of you( that way everyone can have the chance to drive)

I have pressure cause I'm not comfortable with the superintendent , he be standing next to me and kind of making me uncomfortable (although that's there job) . But when I have a female superintendent for my 9th day, I pass with flying color ! She even told me I was excellent the way I drive. I told her I used to drive for my relative's double decker tour bus business. So you see, it's depending on how you absorbed everything you learned in those 7 days, some people pick it up quick, other takes a little while. Just make sure you pay attention to the instructor and don't be afraid to drive the bus, the first week after my line training I drive those buses like my own car. You will get so use to it.

I think it's all depend on the individual , and it also has to do with the superintendent demeanor. Put it this way, 7 days is not a lot of time for you to get used to the bus you are training with unless you have driven the type of bus that we're being train on. Although there's going to be only 4 of you( that way everyone can have the chance to drive)

I have pressure cause I'm not comfortable with the superintendent , he be standing next to me and kind of making me uncomfortable (although that's there job) . But when I have a female superintendent for my 9th day, I pass with flying color ! She even told me I was excellent the way I drive. I told her I used to drive for my relative's double decker tour bus business. So you see, it's depending on how you absorbed everything you learned in those 7 days, some people pick it up quick, other takes a little while. Just make sure you pay attention to the instructor and don't be afraid to drive the bus, the first week after my line training I drive those buses like my own car. You will get so use to it.

Lol at superintendents demeanor, i dont care if the superintendent is a good person or a prick, nothing was stopping me from learning what i needed to pass. That sounds like an excuse