B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Hey hockeyplayer9. How has your schedual been so far. I know you have to do weekends and stuff but are you always working at night, split shift ect... it doesnt have to be exact but just a rough idea of what king of schedual you work

Sup! I work evenings and weekends. Getting off weekends takes a few years on average, unless you get to pick Vacation Relief in which case you may get off weekends here and there.

My hours are around 4pm to 1am, off Tuesdays & Wednesdays. For the new pick 9it's every few months) I work around 3pm - 12am, off Wednesdays & Thursdays.

What's up Ctrain!! So far so good. I just finished my one year probation last week. Definitely feels good to be done with that. I had no accidents, customer complaints, or on bus "incidents" (ex: someone falls and gets hurts,etc.). Those things and attendance are what they look at in deciding to extend your probation or not. Other than my normal 19A rides, I didn't have any under cover rides that I know of. I heard you usually won't get one if you've had no accidents, complaints, etc. so perhaps it's true.

Overall I like it. Time goes pretty fast, the pay and benefits are good, etc. It's definitely what you make of it. I'm older so have more patience than I used to, so I don't feel too stressed. Some guys who started the same time as me last year don't feel quite the same, so I guess it depends on you and your experiences.

So, how's everything with you? You got your CDL?[/quote

Hey hockey player im list number 19xx should i expect a call or will it be hard for me to hear from them was ur number that high by anychance?

My list number is 18XX. I'm OA not TA, but took this TA 4600 exam too. I live in Staten Island but work in Brooklyn. As soon as TA reaches my umber I'm transferring. I'm happy in general where I am. It's not too long of a ride etc. but nothing like being closer to home. Plus, from what everyone tells me, you move up quicker on Staten Island which includes getting weekends off sooner.

Good to hear you're liking the job.  Yeah I got my CDL back in January around the time I pm'd you.  List number is in the 1200's so hopefully I get called by early 2017.  Are you in a depot in Staten Island?  Possibly moving out there later this year. 

I read my post above. Living in Staten Island, working in Brooklyn, waiting for TA to call me, then I'm transferring to Staten Island. My list number is 1800s.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sup! I work evenings and weekends. Getting off weekends takes a few years on average, unless you get to pick Vacation Relief in which case you may get off weekends here and there.

My hours are around 4pm to 1am, off Tuesdays & Wednesdays. For the new pick 9it's every few months) I work around 3pm - 12am, off Wednesdays & Thursdays.

My list number is 18XX. I'm OA not TA, but took this TA 4600 exam too. I live in Staten Island but work in Brooklyn. As soon as TA reaches my umber I'm transferring. I'm happy in general where I am. It's not too long of a ride etc. but nothing like being closer to home. Plus, from what everyone tells me, you move up quicker on Staten Island which includes getting weekends off sooner.

I read my post above. Living in Staten Island, working in Brooklyn, waiting for TA to call me, then I'm transferring to Staten Island. My list number is 1800s.

Kool how about in OA what list number u had more less and how long did they take to call you.. I ask to have an idea as to how long before they reach my number i have my cdl and everythin but im anxiest to hear from them already so i want to know like how long it take more less so i can have an idea...

Thanks for the info. It's for my cousin who was called in. He doesn't have a login for this site so I asked the question for him. I appreciate it @Youngnycsubwayfan

Anytime.

... So far so good. I just finished my one year probation last week. Definitely feels good to be done with that. ...

Congrats!

Kool how about in OA what list number u had more less and how long did they take to call you.. I ask to have an idea as to how long before they reach my number i have my cdl and everythin but im anxiest to hear from them already so i want to know like how long it take more less so i can have an idea...

First of all, you know that you are annoying not only me, but others who read this topic/thread by asking the same question more than once, right?

Second, it all depends on the hiring needs of the Dept. of Buses for TA Operators. If we briefly look back at the hiring process for the 2613 list: On average, they called 1,800 names per year, which meant 900 names every 6 months, and 450 names every 3 months.

Anytime.

Congrats!

First of all, you know that you are annoying not only me, but others who read this topic/thread by asking the same question more than once, right?

Second, it all depends on the hiring needs of the Dept. of Buses for TA Operators. If we briefly look back at the hiring process for the 2613 list: On average, they called 1,800 names per year, which meant 900 names every 6 months, and 450 names every 3 months.

All u had to do was not answering.. Simple as that...

All u had to do was not answering.. Simple as that...

I have to agree with @YoungNYCsubwayfan.. Like I said before, patience is a virtue. We will all get called eventually. Just hang in there

Btw @young is very knowledgeable in the hiring process & gives us good inside information, no need to get emotional because of what he said

I have to agree with @YoungNYCsubwayfan.. Like I said before, patience is a virtue. We will all get called eventually. Just hang in there

Btw @young is very knowledgeable in the hiring process & gives us good inside information, no need to get emotional because of what he said

He is very knowledgeable and that is gladly appreciated but is all about respect and is the second unnecesary comment he makes .. Not getting emotional just clearin things up treat people with respect if u want to be respected thats all i got to say...

He is very knowledgeable and that is gladly appreciated but is all about respect and is the second unnecesary comment he makes .. Not getting emotional just clearin things up treat people with respect if u want to be respected thats all i got to say...

I understand where you're coming from... We will all know when the next batch of letter get sent out when everyone else on this forum starts posting it.. Good luck to everyone

Thanks Young!

My list number for OA was in the 200s. It was only the Pych test, pass fail, then list numbers were random. It takes a couple of years on average to get called but too many factors involved to get more than idea than that.

Yeah, Young & Deuce are incredibly helpful. Always have been.

Hi Hockey Player, I'm an islanders fan as well.  You mentioned that you can pass the 10 day training and still fail at the DMV for CDL.  I was under the impression that through the 10 day training, we would be able to obtain the CDL license through that training.  

I believe also when applying for the CDL, permit, it has to be CDL license B with passenger endorsement and Air Brakes.  I read through some of these posts that mentioned air brakes is required, which I did not see air brakes mentioned in the application. 

Good luck to everyone.   

Hi Hockey Player, I'm an islanders fan as well.  You mentioned that you can pass the 10 day training and still fail at the DMV for CDL.  I was under the impression that through the 10 day training, we would be able to obtain the CDL license through that training.  

I believe also when applying for the CDL, permit, it has to be CDL license B with passenger endorsement and Air Brakes.  I read through some of these posts that mentioned air brakes is required, which I did not see air brakes mentioned in the application. 

Good luck to everyone.   

You need an air brake endorsement to operate any transit bus.

I have a question , I received my cdl permit and it only says passenger under endorsements. It should say air brakes too right or no? I took and passed my air brakes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Edited by Svjbk

I have a question , I received my cdl permit and it only says passenger under endorsements. It should say air brakes too right or no? I took and passed my air brakes.

air brake is an restriction not an endorsement. if u dont have an air brake u will have a L restriction.

Svjbk it wont say air brakes on it bc it is a requirment for a class b cdl. So for example you cant get your permit until you pass general knowledge and air brakes test.

air brake is an restriction not an endorsement. if u dont have an air brake u will have a L restriction.

Ok, thank you guys. 

Thank you...

Thank you...

Thanks Young!

My list number for OA was in the 200s. It was only the Pych test, pass fail, then list numbers were random. It takes a couple of years on average to get called but too many factors involved to get more than idea than that.

Yeah, Young & Deuce are incredibly helpful. Always have been.

You're welcome.

@youngnycsubwayfan. I have my cdl b(p). I keep seeing on this forum ppl stating they need their cdl b passenger with air brake. To my understanding and experience isn't it mandatory to take air brake test in order to qualify for any cdl as well as b(p)?

The air brake is included. If you fail the air brake test, you will have a restriction. Depending on what you drive, this may or may not be an issue (e.g. - any Access-A-Ride vehicle). See this page for more information.

Good luck to everyone.   

Hey Smooth, if you don't have your CDL license and fail the DMV road test even though you passed MTA's 10 day training, you're finished. You literally get fired. Crazy but true. If you pass the 10 day training in 7 days, you would get 2 chances to pass the DMV road test. If you go past 7 days, you only get one chance. Then, all you need is a DMV instructor with a bug up their azz that day and it could be lights out. So, I HIGHLY recommend getting that CDL license ahead of time. One less stress to worry about. Plus, you can take that DMV road test 2, 3, 4 times if needed.

Most of the time when I ask driver's on the job, how is the job and how they like it, their response is "It's good, but there is a lot of politics" can anyone already on the job clarify what exactly that means? I've been getting that answer for a long time.

Most of the time when I ask driver's on the job, how is the job and how they like it, their response is "It's good, but there is a lot of politics" can anyone already on the job clarify what exactly that means? I've been getting that answer for a long time.

I'm guessing they mean things like favoritism, but that's just the reality of basically any job and life itself lol

The runs and routes you get to pick is based on seniority, so I think any favoritism is minimized by that. I've always been a huge fan of seniority, so even as a newbie, I have no issues with seniority dictating lots of things.