B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Saw this question asked on another forum. Maybe someone here might have some information in regards.
If you get fired from a NYC job, will that disqualify you from getting on with MTA?

Don't think so, an ex cop who was convicted of bank robbery and served 5 yrs in prison was hired as an mta bus driver.

Edited by mtabx911

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it appears they have not sent letters to 101 thru 200. I am in that range and have been reading here that they sent letters for over a month now so I decided to call the number listed on the results letter I got back in January. First time I called on Monday 5/2 a gentleman told be they were only up to 100 then told me to call back Wednesday 5/4 to speak to the lady that was handling the 4600 list and when I did I ask about my status she told me probably at the end of the year. Its possible others in the 101-200 have received or will receive a letter sooner but I am in second half of that range. I do have relatives who work at the MTA in a supervisory roll and they told me that they don't usually do training during the summer months so that may explain why. If anybody doubts what I am writing here feel free to call that number yourselves they pick up right away and are fairly helpful. The numbers listed are 347-643-8229/30/31/32. Mon-Fri 11am - 4pm.

Well it appears they have not sent letters to 101 thru 200. I am in that range and have been reading here that they sent letters for over a month now so I decided to call the number listed on the results letter I got back in January. First time I called on Monday 5/2 a gentleman told be they were only up to 100 then told me to call back Wednesday 5/4 to speak to the lady that was handling the 4600 list and when I did I ask about my status she told me probably at the end of the year. Its possible others in the 101-200 have received or will receive a letter sooner but I am in second half of that range. I do have relatives who work at the MTA in a supervisory roll and they told me that they don't usually do training during the summer months so that may explain why. If anybody doubts what I am writing here feel free to call that number yourselves they pick up right away and are fairly helpful. The numbers listed are 347-643-8229/30/31/32. Mon-Fri 11am - 4pm.

There's always training class in the summer time. The only two month I can see the struggle take place is between November and December since its a General Pick season for all current bus operators. Overall TA agency is the slowest dept when it comes to new hire. The capacity of operators is less compare to OA which would explained why the past recent class has more OA over TA in the training class. But you're pretty much almost in there. Just hang in there. 

Thank You DueceDrives for your reply. I am actually kinda glad I have some time. I already passed all of my required written exams and have a permit with all the required endorcements and without the Air Brakes restriction (passed the air brake exam) and I have started taking lessons so that I can take the road test on my own.Only two lessons so far but instructor tells me I should be ready with just another 3 lessons. He felt so confident of that he already scheduled my road test. I decided to do it this way in order to eliminate the stress of taking the road test later which will also allow me to focus on the MTA bus specific topics and not the general mechanics of driving a bus for the first time. Anyone that can spend the money and time might want to consider doing the same but at the very least get the permit exams done, they are not as easy as I thought they would but I passed them on one try by taking practice exams repeatedly for 2-weeks. By the time I took the actual exam it was nice to recognize about 90% of the questions immediately. One tip, even though you are not required to take the school bus exam (I did), study the school bus topics too, there were many school bus questions in both the general knowledge and passenger exam!

Finished my line training and was out on my own this week, its a jungle out there!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Congratulations!!! That is great news! Be patient and careful when making turns on busy streets. People are just not paying attention, walking and texting should be illegal.

Thank You DueceDrives for your reply. I am actually kinda glad I have some time. I already passed all of my required written exams and have a permit with all the required endorcements and without the Air Brakes restriction (passed the air brake exam) and I have started taking lessons so that I can take the road test on my own.Only two lessons so far but instructor tells me I should be ready with just another 3 lessons. He felt so confident of that he already scheduled my road test. I decided to do it this way in order to eliminate the stress of taking the road test later which will also allow me to focus on the MTA bus specific topics and not the general mechanics of driving a bus for the first time. Anyone that can spend the money and time might want to consider doing the same but at the very least get the permit exams done, they are not as easy as I thought they would but I passed them on one try by taking practice exams repeatedly for 2-weeks. By the time I took the actual exam it was nice to recognize about 90% of the questions immediately. One tip, even though you are not required to take the school bus exam (I did), study the school bus topics too, there were many school bus questions in both the general knowledge and passenger exam!

Congratulations!!! That is great news! Be patient and careful when making turns on busy streets. People are just not paying attention, walking and texting should be illegal.

I totally agree!!!  if they had a poll regarding should texting, or being on the phone while walking should be ban, I would vote on it. 

Thank You DueceDrives for your reply. I am actually kinda glad I have some time. I already passed all of my required written exams and have a permit with all the required endorcements and without the Air Brakes restriction (passed the air brake exam) and I have started taking lessons so that I can take the road test on my own.Only two lessons so far but instructor tells me I should be ready with just another 3 lessons. He felt so confident of that he already scheduled my road test. I decided to do it this way in order to eliminate the stress of taking the road test later which will also allow me to focus on the MTA bus specific topics and not the general mechanics of driving a bus for the first time. Anyone that can spend the money and time might want to consider doing the same but at the very least get the permit exams done, they are not as easy as I thought they would but I passed them on one try by taking practice exams repeatedly for 2-weeks. By the time I took the actual exam it was nice to recognize about 90% of the questions immediately. One tip, even though you are not required to take the school bus exam (I did), study the school bus topics too, there were many school bus questions in both the general knowledge and passenger exam!

Thanks, i had one person walk out of a store with his head down looking at his phone right into the street, when i honked the horn i made him jump out of his shoes. People definitely are not paying attention nowadays.

When it comes down to having the cdl b license, it is a big plus. One person in my class passed on day 10 but failed the one opportunity on the road test.

Most people fail because they dont scan their mirrors every 3-5 seconds,not calling out hazards,not properly setting up and executing their turns,not observing /watching for supt leaving their hands in closing doors,not dropping the kneeler in bus stops,going thru yellow lights (Yellow /Red) Same AT ZEREGA !!!! Last but not least,not knowing the true meaning or how to get your nose dirty. Bus ops language..

Finished my line training and was out on my own this week, its a jungle out there!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Congrats dude, I saw a guy in the Bronx on Randall Ave near the bridge on a training bus. He made that turn so slow i laughed, u can see he wasn't trying to mess up at all. When I pulled up the light had just changed to red as I was approaching, between that time and when it changed back to green, he made the turn as I was pulling off so he wasn't caught in the intersection but only just barely. Must have been going 2mph on that turn. He probably did exactly as instructed as would I but i was happy to know there's still a training class going on

Thanks, i had one person walk out of a store with his head down looking at his phone right into the street, when i honked the horn i made him jump out of his shoes. People definitely are not paying attention nowadays.

When it comes down to having the cdl b license, it is a big plus. One person in my class passed on day 10 but failed the one opportunity on the road test.

Thats why I decided to just get the CDL on my own. Can't risk having that happen to me lol.

I saw a training bus in far Rockaway on Tuesday or Wednesday on my way to work. They were making a left turn from Beach 108 street onto Rockaway freeway. He took his time and cleared the intersection with ease.

Most people fail because they dont scan their mirrors every 3-5 seconds,not calling out hazards,not properly setting up and executing their turns,not observing /watching for supt leaving their hands in closing doors,not dropping the kneeler in bus stops,going thru yellow lights (Yellow /Red) Same AT ZEREGA !!!! Last but not least,not knowing the true meaning or how to get your nose dirty. Bus ops language..

not to nitpick here because i was told the same when i was obtaining my cdl, 3-5 secs on the mirror is a pet peeve for me. I usually follow instructions to the letter so if u say 3-5 ill do 3-5, when i was training for my cdl, 3-5 secs is what i tried doing. 3-5 u are barely focused on the road in front of you. that's 5760 glances at the mirror per 8 hour day. I always say, always check your mirrors frequently. 

Just curious how to time those red/yellow? I usually look at the pedestrian crossing sign as a gauge (if its white on the opposite side, I can go thru the intersection safely, if its blinking proceed to slow down in time to stop if necessary) but sometimes that fails as u might slow down to a stop on green n then try to make it thru n it starts changing for yellow to red. Is there any clues or tips? 

Get your nose dirty? U mean how to stay out of trouble? (lateness, absences or u meant drug use, stealing kinda stuff?

not to nitpick here because i was told the same when i was obtaining my cdl, 3-5 secs on the mirror is a pet peeve for me. I usually follow instructions to the letter so if u say 3-5 ill do 3-5, when i was training for my cdl, 3-5 secs is what i tried doing. 3-5 u are barely focused on the road in front of you. that's 5760 glances at the mirror per 8 hour day. I always say, always check your mirrors frequently. 

Just curious how to time those red/yellow? I usually look at the pedestrian crossing sign as a gauge (if its white on the opposite side, I can go thru the intersection safely, if its blinking proceed to slow down in time to stop if necessary) but sometimes that fails as u might slow down to a stop on green n then try to make it thru n it starts changing for yellow to red. Is there any clues or tips? 

Get your nose dirty? U mean how to stay out of trouble? (lateness, absences or u meant drug use, stealing kinda stuff?

On this job you will learn to live in your mirrors and cover your right side the hard way especially if you pick into manhattan division. Timing lights isnt hard. Use the cross walks. Some lights change before others so look ahead at the next cross walk and see what its doing. Ex. 14,23,26,houston 124 manhattan those lights change while the cross walk is still white. So look ahead. As for getting your nose dirty it means to let part of your front bus bumper cover the curb without actually hitting the curb when making turns.

congrats. whats ur list no mastap? any idea when will they send out 2nd wave of employment letters for 200 and above?

thanks i will encourage everyone that doesn't have there cdl license to get it out the way so when they call you only thing you have to worry about is 10 day training 

my list#4*70

In your opinion, what is the difference, if there is any, between a rear engine school bus and a transit/coach bus?

There should be no difference in principle. The turning radius for each vehicle will be different for every make make/model and even model year. It is important to know what vehicle you are in, "getting the big picture" and know how to set your turns up.

In Woodbridge, NJ, I thought I saw a rear-engine school bus (or possibly the bus was just there at that time) that was used for CDL training. However, I think that the new federal regulations might not allow anyone with a NY Commercial Learners' Permit (CLP) to enroll in an out-of-state training school. If I see that bus again, I will let the NYCTF community know what company it was with.

congrats. whats ur list no mastap? any idea when will they send out 2nd wave of employment letters for 200 and above?

They are still working with the first 200 candidates. I am in the first 200, however, I will wait until possibly the end of the year to reinstate (though I haven't made any formal (written) statement to that affect and not sure how that exactly works).  Apparently, they are still working with the candidates in the TA Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions . If section above the topics is accurate (updated monthly), then the last candidate for TA Bus Operator Exam List # 2613 appointed is 3,371 and the last certified is 3,621. From my understanding, no-one from Exam 4600 may be hired until Exam 2613 is closed. Per the information in multiple posts from other candidates who went to Zerega for OA Bus Operator Exam List # 3101, very few TA candidates were apart of the overall bus operator class with candidates from all three divisions BC, OA and TA. 

Edited by 161NewYork

There should be no difference in principle. The turning radius for each vehicle will be different for every make make/model and even model year. It is important to know what vehicle you are in, "getting the big picture" and know how to set your turns up.

In Woodbridge, NJ, I thought I saw a rear-engine school bus (or possibly the bus was just there at that time) that was used for CDL training. However, I think that the new federal regulations might not allow anyone with a NY Commercial Learners' Permit (CLP) to enroll in an out-of-state training school. If I see that bus again, I will let the NYCTF community know what company it was with.

They are still working with the first 200 candidates. I am in the first 200, however, I will wait until possibly the end of the year to reinstate (though I haven't made any formal (written) statement to that affect and not sure how that exactly works).  Apparently, they are still working with the candidates in the TA Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions . If section above the topics is accurate (updated monthly), then the last candidate for TA Bus Operator Exam List # 2613 appointed is 3,371 and the last certified is 3,621. From my understanding, no-one from Exam 4600 may be hired until Exam 2613 is closed. Per the information in multiple posts from other candidates who went to Zerega for OA Bus Operator Exam List # 3101, very few TA candidates were apart of the overall bus operator class with candidates from all three divisions BC, OA and TA. 

Mhm.....I know 2 friend of mines from TA 2613 actually just graduated from line training recently and are on their own. Their list numbers were in the 3400-3500's. And yes the majority of Operators were from OA