B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Why are so many people very impatient about when they will be called? Just know that you will get called eventually & while you wait get everything ready like documents, CDL etc.. Not trying to sound negative, just being realistic... Remember people, Patience is a Virtue...

Its not a matter of impatience, you have to give yourself the best chance for success. Waiting until the 10 day training to get the CDL reduces your chance of actually landing the job. I had to find money (Ferrari Driving School is not cheap, service sucked but the instructors are awesome) to pay for the classes, then u get your road test and fail and try to reschedule and they don't have any dates available for months. People with families have to budget their expenses and factor in how can they obtain a CDL and the classes prior to being called. For example; if my list number is 4xxx and they are hiring about 400 this year (just an example) then i don't have to spend $1000 on a license I probably won't use for the next two years and can use it for something more important instead for my family.

Everyone is eager to start yes, however everyone has to see if they can afford to get the CDL license before they are even called.

I had a guy instructor, mean too. The guy that trained me told me he doesn't pass ppl so I was scared to death. I only had 4 lessons, and pass the road test on my first try. Took it in Masepth pretty simple. The pre trip is the hardest part but with practice is easy. Thinking about getting my class A license this summer? If you already have a class b and you're trying to get a class A license do you have to take the road test again?

Yes you do, you have to take combinations i believe it is and road test in a tractor trailer in order to obtain the A. While similar, in my experience the A was way harder than the B only with respect to backing. Everything else is pretty much the same.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took my road test and passed earlier this month. a couple of things I did to help me with memorizing the pre trip is I would try and write the whole process down from start to finish in a notebook and then check my work also made my last lesson the day of my road test really helped. I also asked my instructor what the route of the road test is and drove it in my car a couple of times to remember where the bridges, overpasses, parks or school zones and railroads are also the most important thing is when ever your not in the bus is to secure the bus and TAKE the key with you. 

Yo0910. When you passed the road test with the 4 lessons, did you have prior experience at all with driving a com medical vehicle such as a bus? Or was that your first time driving a bus

I never drove a bus or a truck in my life lol.

The first 200 that were sent an invitation will be process first before they move to the next group. They always call a huge number of candidates For there securement when they need to fill at least a class depending on the hiring needs they will have enough before they call the next batch. Out of 200 maybe 60 or more candidates will either be place on hold or Disqualified for other issues related such as Background situation, license issue, failed drug test or Medical issues. I suggest while some are waiting and doesnt have their license situated, I would advise to get it done. The 7 to 10 day qualification are very tense.

No my list number is far from that. My list number is 207x i have a good time to go.

I'm 227X. It looks like I will be call for OA 3101 first before TA call our list number

The first 200 that were sent an invitation will be process first before they move to the next group. They always call a huge number of candidates For there securement when they need to fill at least a class depending on the hiring needs they will have enough before they call the next batch. Out of 200 maybe 60 or more candidates will either be place on hold or Disqualified for other issues related such as Background situation, license issue, failed drug test or Medical issues. I suggest while some are waiting and doesnt have their license situated, I would advise to get it done. The 7 to 10 day qualification are very tense.

I'm 227X. It looks like I will be call for OA 3101 first before TA call our list number

If they do call before ta thats still a good thing. So when ta do call all you have to do is switch over.

Thinking about getting my class A license this summer? If you already have a class b and you're trying to get a class A license do you have to take the road test again?

Yes, you have to take another road test in a tractor trailer. The good news is that, at least in Maspeth, it is the same route! In addition, the pre-trip, air brake test, etc. are all similar compared to the bus.

Its not a matter of impatience, you have to give yourself the best chance for success. Waiting until the 10 day training to get the CDL reduces your chance of actually landing the job. I had to find money (Ferrari Driving School is not cheap, service sucked but the instructors are awesome) to pay for the classes, then u get your road test and fail and try to reschedule and they don't have any dates available for months. People with families have to budget their expenses and factor in how can they obtain a CDL and the classes prior to being called. For example; if my list number is 4xxx and they are hiring about 400 this year (just an example) then i don't have to spend $1000 on a license I probably won't use for the next two years and can use it for something more important instead for my family.

As far as Ferrari is concerned, here's my feedback:

-I went to their Brooklyn location for all of my tractor trailer lessons. Between this location and their Astoria locations, I would highly recommend Brooklyn! I signed up for the 40 hour package, had one instructor the entire time, their office staff got me a road test date within a reasonable amount of time, and I passed (on the tractor trailer). As a result of passing, I had a Class A CDL with Passenger Endorsement, however I had a N2 restriction, in which I was able to transport a maximum of seven passengers.

-Now I was anxious to get rid of the N2 restriction. In addition, because of the manual transmission restriction, I wanted to take my road test in a manual transmission bus (click here for more details). Therefore, Ferrari has those type of buses, however they were out of their Long Island City location, which is walking distance from the Astoria/Ditmars Blvd. station on the (N) and (Q) lines. Now I was unhappy that the Long Island City office staff was not giving me a road test date fast enough (compared to Brooklyn). Therefore, one weekday I scheduled the road test myself by using this website. As soon as I booked it, I called the school to confirm the availability of the vehicle and the instructor. It took a couple of times, but we eventually settled on a date. After that, I re-booked my lessons, in which my last lesson was the morning of the road test.

The key at this point is getting your CDL before they call. Probably just in my experience but I be around Zerega alot because of my current job and heard stories of guys waiting all these years then failing because they weren't able to obtain the CDL from the DMV. Personally, now that I know they're calling my focus is to maintain a clean driving record. Pursue the B license. Remove the medical restriction and Save for the driving school which isn't cheap. I was told by many that being able to drive stick shift isn't mandatory either so not sure I'll even pursue that. 

To conclude the Ferrari issue, I will try Brooklyn for my Bus lessons and provide a review however, though I passed my road test for the A with them, their instructors are rude (how can u make that wide of a turn are u stupid?) however they know their stuff. Left work early one day because I had a driving class with them. When I get there they said the truck cant start since this morning and class is cancelled. Also if u miss payments even by an hour (had direct deposit coming in at 3 class was at 5, direct deposit came at 4:15.....by then they already rescheduled my road test). Best for instructors, avoid the office staff. Brooklyn I will try.

Once again this site is an invaluable resource, thank you very much for everything guys

I was told by many that being able to drive stick shift isn't mandatory either so not sure I'll even pursue that. 

To conclude the Ferrari issue, I will try Brooklyn for my Bus lessons and provide a review however, though I passed my road test for the A with them, their instructors are rude (how can u make that wide of a turn are u stupid?) however they know their stuff. Left work early one day because I had a driving class with them. When I get there they said the truck cant start since this morning and class is cancelled. Also if u miss payments even by an hour (had direct deposit coming in at 3 class was at 5, direct deposit came at 4:15.....by then they already rescheduled my road test). Best for instructors, avoid the office staff. Brooklyn I will try.

Once again this site is an invaluable resource, thank you very much for everything guys

As far as the stick shift...I just wanted to be on the safe side, that's all. Even when I went for my road test, with my situation, the examiner told me it didn't matter if the bus was automatic or manual.

As far as the instructor, just request another one, that's all. Just like in school, some instructors you'll 'connect' with, others you won't, that's all

As far as your last sentence is concerned, you're welcome.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Grammar corrections

So, some of you have been asking me to post those "cheat sheets" in this thread/topic. After careful consideration, I have decided to postpone this until further notice. I agree that this will help you get through the intense 10-day Bus Operator Training session, however if I re-post them now, it's not going to be fair to the other 8,000 candidates that are on the list, especially since they only called the first 200 people off the list, respectively.

With that said, until I feel it is the right time to re-post them, feel free to refer to the "cheat sheets" by clicking here. Again, as of now, they only called the first 200 people off the list. Is it fair to the other 8,000 folks if I re-post these "cheat sheets" now? Not in my opinion.

Sorry. (At least I provided the link for you folks, right?)

So, some of you have been asking me to post those "cheat sheets" in this thread/topic. After careful consideration, I have decided to postpone this until further notice. I agree that this will help you get through the intense 10-day Bus Operator Training session, however if I re-post them now, it's not going to be fair to the other 8,000 candidates that are on the list, especially since they only called the first 200 people off the list, respectively.

With that said, until I feel it is the right time to re-post them, feel free to refer to the "cheat sheets" by clicking here. Again, as of now, they only called the first 200 people off the list. Is it fair to the other 8,000 folks if I re-post these "cheat sheets" now? Not in my opinion.

Sorry. (At least I provided the link for you folks, right?)

Takes a little doing but searching Google/Forum you are able to locate them. "Cheat" sheets can't be fair in essence if you are cheating to begin with. If you want it, you would take the time to look for it.

Any Form of Advertising is PROHIBITED!!

Takes a little doing but searching Google/Forum you are able to locate them. "Cheat" sheets can't be fair in essence if you are cheating to begin with. If you want it, you would take the time to look for it.

First, as the rules state, "Any form of advertising... is strictly prohibited" Therefore, please do not post that again. If you do - a warning will be given. If you want, you can mention doing a Google search, or a specific website (like I did with Ferrari and the NYS DMV), but that is it!

Second, as far as the "cheat sheets" are concerned, I originally called them "handouts" from my instructor/Superintendent. Finally, I would highly recommend to not only look at them, but memorize them as well, especially the pre-trip items!!

typo error

@Youngnycsubwayfan

Not sure if u covered this, quick question... If you had a license revoked about 10 years ago for failure to pay a fine, but it's currently NOT on your Abstract...should you put it on the application anyway? Or not?

I would put it on the application just to be on the safe side. When you do go down to 180 Livingston Street to be processed, just make sure you have all of the paperwork related to this, so they can give you a clean bill of health (as far as this issue is concerned).

Good luck!

I would put it on the application just to be on the safe side. When you do go down to 180 Livingston Street to be processed, just make sure you have all of the paperwork related to this, so they can give you a clean bill of health (as far as this issue is concerned).

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. It's for my cousin who was called in. He doesn't have a login for this site so I asked the question for him. I appreciate it @Youngnycsubwayfan

I also HIGHLY recommend getting your CDL ahead of time. Why in the world would you risk not getting a Bus Operator position cause you failed the DMV road test after passing the 10-day training?? It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. It happened to a few people in my original class of 50.

I also HIGHLY recommend getting your CDL ahead of time. Why in the world would you risk not getting a Bus Operator position cause you failed the DMV road test after passing the 10-day training?? It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. It happened to a few people in my original class of 50.

How's everything going hockey? Are you liking the job so far?

How's everything going hockey? Are you liking the job so far?

What's up Ctrain!! So far so good. I just finished my one year probation last week. Definitely feels good to be done with that. I had no accidents, customer complaints, or on bus "incidents" (ex: someone falls and gets hurts,etc.). Those things and attendance are what they look at in deciding to extend your probation or not. Other than my normal 19A rides, I didn't have any under cover rides that I know of. I heard you usually won't get one if you've had no accidents, complaints, etc. so perhaps it's true.

Overall I like it. Time goes pretty fast, the pay and benefits are good, etc. It's definitely what you make of it. I'm older so have more patience than I used to, so I don't feel too stressed. Some guys who started the same time as me last year don't feel quite the same, so I guess it depends on you and your experiences.

So, how's everything with you? You got your CDL?

What's up Ctrain!! So far so good. I just finished my one year probation last week. Definitely feels good to be done with that. I had no accidents, customer complaints, or on bus "incidents" (ex: someone falls and gets hurts,etc.). Those things and attendance are what they look at in deciding to extend your probation or not. Other than my normal 19A rides, I didn't have any under cover rides that I know of. I heard you usually won't get one if you've had no accidents, complaints, etc. so perhaps it's true.

Overall I like it. Time goes pretty fast, the pay and benefits are good, etc. It's definitely what you make of it. I'm older so have more patience than I used to, so I don't feel too stressed. Some guys who started the same time as me last year don't feel quite the same, so I guess it depends on you and your experiences.

So, how's everything with you? You got your CDL?[/quote

Hey hockey player im list number 19xx should i expect a call or will it be hard for me to hear from them was ur number that high by anychance?

So, how's everything with you? You got your CDL?

Good to hear you're liking the job.  Yeah I got my CDL back in January around the time I pm'd you.  List number is in the 1200's so hopefully I get called by early 2017.  Are you in a depot in Staten Island?  Possibly moving out there later this year.