George Zimmerman acquitted of murder in Trayvon Martin shooting death

Orion VII 4 Life

BREAKING NEWS: George Zimmerman has been acquitted of all charges in the February 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla.

The jury of six women informed Judge Debra Nelson shortly before 10 p.m. local time Saturday that they had reached a verdict after deliberating for approximately 15 hours over two days.

After hearing the verdict, Judge Nelson told Zimmerman he was free to go.

Zimmerman was initially charged with second-degree murder in the death of Martin, but jurors could have also convicted Zimmerman on the lesser charge of manslaughter. The jury had asked for a clarification on the manslaughter charge earlier in the evening. 

If convicted, the 29-year-old former neighborhood watch volunteer would have faced a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder or 30 years in prison if convicted of manslaughter.

The jurors sent Judge Debra Nelson a note asking for clarification on the manslaughter charge, the less-serious charge Zimmerman faces, after deliberating for about eight hours Saturday. The question read simply: "May we please have clarification for the instruction on manslaughter?"

As jurors awaited an answer, Nelson talked to lawyers at the bench and then said court would recess for a half hour. When attorneys returned, prosecutor Richard Mantei said that after conducting research, he would suggest asking the jurors to elaborate. Defense attorney Mark O'Mara agreed.

"Let's get clarification on their confusion," O'Mara said.

The judge then sent a note back to the jury that read: "The court can't engage in general discussion but may be able to address a specific question regarding clarification of the instructions regarding manslaughter. If you have a specific question, please submit it."

The jury also recessed for an hour for dinner, during which they were allowed to continue deliberating. They did not immediately respond to the judge's note.

During the day about two dozen people gathered outside the courthouse awaiting a verdict, with supporters of the Martin family outnumbering those there for Zimmerman. One man held a sign that read, "We love you George." A woman lay in the grass in a hoodie, her arms spread, in a re-creation of Martin's death.

On Twitter, Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton, shared what she called her favorite Bible verse: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

During closing arguments, Zimmerman's attorney attempted to portray him as a neighborhood activist who shot Martin in self-defense and prosecutors attempted to paint him as a wannabe cop whose misguided suspicion resulted in the teen’s death.

As the jury began their discussions, police and civic leaders in this Orlando suburb went on national television to plead for calm in Sanford and across the country, no matter what the verdict.

"There is no party in this case who wants to see any violence," Seminole County Sheriff Don Eslinger said. "We have an expectation upon this announcement that our community will continue to act peacefully."

There were big protests in Sanford and other cities across the country last year when authorities waited 44 days before arresting Zimmerman.

Zimmerman shot Martin as the two fought following a confrontation in the gated Sanford community where Zimmerman lives.

"Your verdict should not be influenced by feelings of prejudice, bias or sympathy," Judge Debra Nelson told the jury, reading from a 27-page set of instructions. "Your verdict must be based on the evidence, and on the law contained in these instructions."

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/13/george-zimmerman-acquitted-murder-in-trayvon-martin-shooting-death/#ixzz2Yz2EnAGm

Personally glad to see the American way of self defense prevail yet again! ^_^

There are fireworks going off in the sky here in Manalapan, NJ (I just got home from the city, God knows what's going on up there but I hope no rioting), and I saw lots of them going off along the Turnpike as well. God Bless America!!!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downvoting news I have no control over? Nice work man.

You had control over what you said afterward:

There are fireworks going off in the sky here in Manalapan, NJ (I just got home from the city, God knows what's going on up there but I hope no rioting), and I saw lots of them going off along the Turnpike as well. God Bless America!!!!

I never read this case as one of self-defense.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not...

You had control over what you said afterward:

I never read this case as one of self-defense.

Except I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to downvote things we don't personally agree with. I'm not downvoting the other guys here.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not...

Far from it my friend! USA! USA! USA!

Except I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to downvote things we don't personally agree with. I'm not downvoting the other guys here.

Lol, really? As if you haven't downvoted anything you don't agree with.

Not cool man <_<:angry:

People will down vote whatever they want to, for whatever reason. To be honest, we will never really know what happened that night, so to take such a strong side either way is folly.The fact is that the man was acquitted. Rightfully, or wrongfully so is not my place to judge. In the end, justice will play out as it was meant to.

Lol, really? As if you haven't downvoted anything you don't agree with.

Am I doing that now?

Besides, Harry made a post somewhere that it wasn't OK to do that, and I'm done with downvoting anything really unless it's spam or something.

Not cool man <_<:angry:

The fireworks were cool actually! Gives you a real sense of American pride, you can feel it rushing through you.

Am I doing that now?

Besides, Harry made a post somewhere that it wasn't OK to do that, and I'm done with downvoting anything really unless it's spam or something.

The fireworks were cool actually! Gives you a real sense of American pride, you can feel it rushing through you.

I wasn't talking about the fireworks.....

People will down vote whatever they want to, for whatever reason. To be honest, we will never really know what happened that night, so to take such a strong side either way is folly.The fact is that the man was acquitted. Rightfully, or wrongfully so is not my place to judge. In the end, justice will play out as it was meant to.

Thanks man. The legal system has done its work, the case is over, and no matter your opinion this is how it played out.

I just hope, for the sake of every one of us, that there are no riots. Accept it and move on.

and you are just as bad as the jerk defense attorneys who are gloating by putting a kid on trial and stomp on his grave...  cause they damn defense attorneys flooded the conservative talk shows and did a whole load of victim blaming.  i hope you are happy heck you already even ruled after arraignment, you got your dangerous precident going on to where we can profile hunt and kill kids... i am ashamed to live in florida, now i see why they call florida the gunshine state.

and you are just as bad as the jerk defense attorneys who are gloating by putting a kid on trial and stomp on his grave...  cause they damn defense attorneys flooded the conservative talk shows and did a whole load of victim blaming.  i hope you are happy heck you already even ruled after arraignment, you got your dangerous precident going on to where we can profile hunt and kill kids... i am ashamed to live in florida, now i see why they call florida the gunshine state.

You should be proud to live in a state where you can easily own a gun and defend yourself. In fact, I see myself potentially living there come a few years...

From The Atlantic: 

The murder trial of George Zimmerman did not allow jurors to deliberate over the fairness of Florida’s outlandishly broad self-defense laws. It did not allow them to debate the virtues of the state’s liberal gun laws or its evident tolerance for vigilantes. It did not permit them to delve into the racial profiling that took place that night by Zimmerman or into the misconduct and mischief that Martin may have engaged in long before he took that fatal trip to the store for candy. These factors, these elements, part of the more complete picture of this tragedy, were off limits to the ultimate decision-makers.

Personally for me, after seeing how the news media like CNN can reach new, morally depressing lows in regards to coverage of a major trial, I’m kinda glad that the trial is finally over. It went from what is supposed to be a serious legal affair into a full blown, reality-TV style media circus. 

And in all honesty, the prosecution never had a legitimate shot anyway of gaining a conviction. The seeming lack of preparation on their part and effective questioning by the defense, coupled with Florida’s moronic “Stand your Ground" law, all but ensured that Zimmerman would walk free. Surprised about the Manslaughter acquittal, though.

You should be proud to live in a state where you can easily own a gun and defend yourself. In fact, I see myself potentially living there come a few years...

I think BreeddekalbL has every right to feel ashamed, this trial and the outcome was a disappointment from the start. Honestly, you just sound so offensively condescending and arrogant right now. 

Thanks man. The legal system has done its work, the case is over, and no matter your opinion this is how it played out.

I just hope, for the sake of every one of us, that there are no riots. Accept it and move on.

I will say however, that although I fully support the notion of self defense, if that really was the case that night, I still do not think that that makes one innocent in the killing itself. On a higher level, the blood of the life that he took will always stain him. The reason people are so fired up about this is because of the fact that regardless of the reason, George Zimmerman still took Trayvon Martin's life, and that automatically makes him guilty in that sense. Thus, your celebrating his acquittal is seen by them as a travesty. It's like you're simply ignoring the fact that a kid is dead. Advice? Try to be a little more sensitive around situations that involve people killing other people. Otherwise, you just look like a pompous jackass who condones killing whatever the rational.

Im not happy and besides "guns go wild here" in florida i live in the most screwed up state  you see why when i post in another thread with a better topic to lighten the mood

also i saw more victim blaming from the defense attorneys then a trial

With any luck I can quote and reply before this thread gets closed.

First off, watching the trial yesterday and knowing final deliberation was upcoming I feared the acquittal of Zimmerman, but I refused to even acknowledge that. It's unfortunate that he actually was acquitted but screw it, no one can reverse the verdict.

Second, what I find most repulsive of the outcome is that this bastard gets to walk free while Martin and his family and friends continue to suffer. One of the biggest examples of adding insult to injury.

Finally, this is in no way over for Zimmerman. Everyone can be sure that this isn't over. With so much hate centered on one individual it's almost a guarantee someone will attempt to take justice in their on hands. 

Now for the quote responses.

Look I'm not even upset about the reason he was acquitted. I'm upset because Trayvon's family is going to have to live with the fact that the man who took him from them gets away with it.

....this is in no way over for Zimmerman. Everyone can be sure that this isn't over. With so much hate centered on one individual it's almost a guarantee someone will attempt to take justice in their on hands. 

Now for the quote responses.

There have already been threats of riots, and while none have happened yet, one is bound to happen soon.

Archived