The City of Detroit Files for Bankruptcy

Roadcruiser1

Interesting, I thought the rest of my reply went through earlier this morning.

Anyway, while filing for bankruptcy protection isn't usually in the best interest of a city and its citizens in Detroit that just may prove otherwise. As it stands there were really no other options to turn to, so if anything the city should have gone through with this sooner.

I would hope that in the following months after the filing that the city become more proactive in addressing the many issues that both government and residents face today, and should such action be be executed in a responsible manner I could see Detroit rebounding from half a century of decay to both government and infrastructure in ten to fifteen years, easily.

It's not an easy task, but at the same time it's not an impossible one.

Detroit lost its future a long time ago...

Michigan especially has been pleading to Washington for some action to protect manufacturing there.  Detroit in particular depends heavily on manufacturing and we all know how many jobs have been sent overseas of late.  It's just a perfect example of why Washington needs to get tough on China and enact more protectionist laws to protect American jobs otherwise we'll see more cities like Detroit...

The city of Detroit did not diversify its economic, a city of this size could not be depend of one source of income.

Also the suburbanisation, too many residents and business moved or have been created in suburbs instead of the city.

It is easy to only blame it on the economy but the bad fate of Detroit is mostly due to bad urban policies and planning.

Detroit was not a small city like Flint, it was one of most powerful city of the USA.

So much for those bailouts for GM.... money pissed down the drain. Well can't blame Romney, Detroit probably voted overwhelmingly for Obama. Will they blame Obama if he does a Ford in basically giving the impression: "Detroit, drop dead"?

The bailouts went to the auto companies,not the city of Detroit.  GM and Chrysler together don't employ 10,000 workers in the city itself.

In my opinion, the only way to save Detroit (I don't only speak of the debt but the city future, the growth and etc...)  would be to increase the size of the city by including many of its suburbs.

This would modify the electoral base and includes more wealthy incomes, this may result to a change of the city policies and city planning, yet even with this the chances to success would still be small.

Anyway, I don't dream, today with a very indebted city with a very bad reputation, I doubt that the suburbs and its inhabitants will accept to be part of the city of Detroit.

But the suburbs should not think that they could really survive with a ghost Detroit, not on long-term period.

Interesting, a judge ruled Detroit's filing of bankruptcy unconstitutional.

So it would seem that the city will continue to sink into debt and eventually default. Just great.

Now that's odd considering that the capitol of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg) filed for chapter 9 bankruptcy. Now it technically could have been granted in court if it wasn't for the mayor's objection that stopped the proceedings. Given the fact that the capital was also was charged previously with securities fraud further hindered the process.

In the case of Detroit as we read from the source you cited, The political cockblock was initiated by lawyers representing retirees and their related pension funds for the civil servants of this city, arguing that the state constitution prohibited the slashing of pension and retirement benefits, as the City of Detroit proposed in this particular bankruptcy case.

I'm assuming that cities can file of bankrupcy and the motion granted in court but there is always a monkey in the wrench to prevent it from happening after the cities are audited by independent firms, at the orders of the judges in court, or investigation by the lawyers via testimony, exposing the mismanagement of allocated funds to finance the running of the cities or states.

Now that's odd considering that the capitol of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg) filed for chapter 9 bankruptcy. Now it technically could have been granted in court if it wasn't for the mayor's objection that stopped the proceedings. Given the fact that the capital was also was charged previously with securities fraud further hindered the process.

In the case of Detroit as we read from the source you cited, The political cockblock was initiated by lawyers representing retirees and their related pension funds for the civil servants of this city, arguing that the state constitution prohibited the slashing of pension and retirement benefits, as the City of Detroit proposed in this particular bankruptcy case.

I'm assuming that cities can file of bankrupcy and the motion granted in court but there is always a monkey in the wrench to prevent it from happening after the cities are audited by independent firms, at the orders of the judges in court, or investigation by the lawyers via testimony, exposing the mismanagement of allocated funds to finance the running of the cities or states.

Personally I'm sure one of the major factors to this ruling was the geographical size of Detroit. Very few cities comparable to Detroit aren't usually experiencing a critical financial crisis, keyword being critical.

And in regard to the retirees at the rate the city is going in two to three years they won't even be getting paid by the city. I'm willing to bet that benefits would still be provided in some way, but I really can't blame citizens for feeling so uncertain.

This situation really has gone to hell. A major shame it is.

And in regard to the retirees at the rate the city is going in two to three years they won't even be getting paid by the city. I'm willing to bet that benefits would still be provided in some way, but I really can't blame citizens for feeling so uncertain.

Hmmm, here I'll take a gamble on this: Civil servants literally got jipped out of benefits by other states and cities before. Such right here in NYC. Remember the issues concerning our tenured teachers that Bloomberg successfully almost completely removed from the NYDOE despite the efforts of the UFT to stop him in his tracks, just so City hall can get a break from payroll expenses? Many of them are not collecting full pensions today because of this.

The city workers in Detroit might have to take a whooping KO hit with the breakdown of it's financial structure. Crazy, right?

Hmmm, here I'll take a gamble on this: Civil servants literally got jipped out of benefits by other states and cities before. Such right here in NYC. Remember the issues concerning our tenured teachers that Bloomberg successfully almost completely removed from the NYDOE despite the efforts of the UFT to stop him in his tracks, just so City hall can get a break from payroll expenses? Many of them are not collecting full pensions today because of this.

The city workers in Detroit might have to take a whooping KO hit with the breakdown of it's financial structure. Crazy, right?

It wouldn't surprise me, that's for sure. It's an unfortunate reality though, it's almost as if your time spent working was just for the wage, and all other benefits simply went down the shitter.

It's hard for many on the outside to come to terms with such a proposal, so I can only imagine how all these city employees will react.

He's got one thing right... We don't manufacture here anymore and we need to turn that around.  We can't export MILLIONS of jobs and expect to replace those overnight.  Just doesn't work that way. I also agree that there is too much regulation and taxation, so that American manufacturers can't compete with other manufacturers abroad.

False, USA manufactures parts and assembles planes, trucks, cars, railway rolling stock, trailers, fire apparatus, food stuffs, guns and I can keep going on and on. By the way Detroit still has two auto plants and Chrysler still has an office in the city as well.

What drove Detroit to it's ultimate death and bankruptcy was the management of the city itself. Outrageous internal spending for one.

Also, how is it that citizens are paying for services that don't even exist? DDOT, EMT, Police, Fire, all lost causes that somehow haven't died yet.

The real problem with Detroit dates back to Mayor Coleman Young and Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. They literally stole billions of dollars from the city coffers. Not just that but the people of Detroit deny that this ever took place even today. Even worse Detroit never diversified it's economic profile unlike New York City or Boston. New York City did have manufacturing in the past along with Boston, but they replaced it with economic services, health services, tourist services, and office services that allow the cities to continue to grow today, but Detroit never did that. Let's not forget to mention that the city had significant racial and economical tensions in the 60's that weaken the city even farther. When the city became unstable few people wanted to live in the city and fled to the suburbs (white flight, black flight, dead flight (Yes. Some people thought that it was better off to take their dead relatives out of Detroit), and economic flight.) Detroit was doomed when the problems weren't fixed decades ago. This is why Detroit is Detroit. The behind of all jokes..........

Archived