1993 (A) train thief Keron Thomas dies of heart attack

DJ MC

Keron Thomas — who made headlines as a 16-year-old by swiping an A train and taking it on a three-hour joyride — died Monday from a heart attack. He was 37.

Thomas, who owned his own trucking company, was rushed from his Brooklyn home to Brookdale Hospital, but doctors could not save him, his family said. He had been battling chronic heart disease for years.

“He lived a short life, but it was fulfilling,” Thomas’ sister, Melissa Lockett, 33, told the Daily News.

On May 8, 1993, Thomas, wearing a subway motorman’s shirt and a safety vest, walked into the 207th St. station in Inwood and became part of New York City lore by stealing an A train.

Source

RIP Keron Thomas

I heard about this when I was in high school in Virginia, my dad who lived in NY told me about it. He said to me, "Don't you be doing anything like that".

The story was on Passenger Train Journal's coverage of the NY Subway, and I believe TIME magazine did a piece on it too

Death knows no age :(. RIP

I heard about this when I was in high school in Virginia, my dad who lived in NY told me about it. He said to me, "Don't you be doing anything like that".

The story was on Passenger Train Journal's coverage of the NY Subway, and I believe TIME magazine did a piece on it too

Death knows no age :(. RIP

The end of the PTJ article said had he not tripped the emergency brakes just a few stations shy of 207, he would've finished the run and no one would've ever known....except the veteran motorman whose code number had been used and would've returned home from his vacation to find an overtime paycheck waiting for him...

The end of the PTJ article said had he not tripped the emergency brakes just a few stations shy of 207, he would've finished the run and no one would've ever known....except the veteran motorman whose code number had been used and would've returned home from his vacation to find an overtime paycheck waiting for him...

Hahaha, so then he would've gotten money for not working, that would've been sweet for that motorman :D

Keron Thomas — who made headlines as a 16-year-old by swiping an A train and taking it on a three-hour joyride — 

Yeah, I was like "yooooo!!!" I was bugging out, when I heard the original story on the news in HS. Railfanning to the extreme. Let's see if anyone can pull that stunt for 2013. 

37 years old? My god, that hit's home, I'm only two years younger than him. Good thing I'm running reguraly and almost at my ideal IBW concerned for my health. And doing well.

My condolences to his family. This is sad, very much so, that is way too young to die, out of cardiovascular failure.

Cool kids steal subway trains duh!... R.I.P

Werd. That's what's up. 

Archived