Why Do B/O's Drive So Slow Nowadays?

TeeLow

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic...except for a handful of buses (primarily the O5 CNGs and the ex-Bees), almost every driver knows that (s)he is being tracked remotely. Central command can, without getting on the road, see if a bus is running hot (read: early). However, by the same token, some operators can be suspected of "dragging the line" as well.

TLC licenses the vans. Some even have bus plates. In Brooklyn the vans have two 'authorized' runs: Utica Ave btn Eastern Pkwy and Kings Plaza; Flatbush Ave btn Smith St & Kings Plaza. Police are supposed to ticket & tow improperly licensed vans and nail drivers who violate traffic laws. These guys drive like they're playing a video game!

I have seen on Q22 bus routes or (A) Shuttle bus route, when dollar vans goes mad fast. I even made friend with one of Dollar Van's manager who takes folks from Far Rockaway to Jamaica Center, but I stick to Q113 LTD or (A) train.

I have seen on Q22 bus routes or (A) Shuttle bus route, when dollar vans goes mad fast. I even made friend with one of Dollar Van's manager who takes folks from Far Rockaway to Jamaica Center, but I stick to Q113 LTD or (A) train.

Yo, they don't play! Those guys are about getting up and down the route so they can make that money! But a few of them are out of control and some are illegitimate but if you wanna get from Jamaica Center to Green Acres quick fast and in a hurry, the van's your man. No doubt!

If speed is an issue ride a train that I'm operating on a off peak hour...

I would gladly ride a train to Woodhaven+Metropolitan in Glendale/Rego Park, to Little Neck over Northern Blvd., to New Hyde Park over Union Turnpike or to Floral Park off Hillside Avenue on the train with a subway fare. 

Too bad the subway doesn't run anywhere near those places. Too bad it costs more than an express bus fare with no transfer privileges or discounts if I want to take the LIRR on a WEEKDAY when I actually travel to some of those places (plus some of them are quite a bit of a walk from the nearest stations as well)

Wasn't a bad idea on paper, but it's a pity it fell apart way too quickly in practice.

If the Dollar vans in SE queens are any indication of how many customers the MTA misses out on due to buses running slow there's room for improvement.

To speak specifically to that area (along Guy R Brewer where many run, the MTA has local constraints which the Dollar vans get around by ignoring traffic laws.

Speaking as a resident of SE Queens Guy Brewer area...

The Van has always had it own Market on the Blvd..

There's always enough buses running up and down the Blvd..

There's multiple Q111 runs...

Q111- 140th Ave...

Q111- Farmers Blvd

Q111- Rosedale

Q111- Cedarhurst (2 runs a day)

And the you have the Q113 and the Q113Ltd

So the wait isn't bad and a LTD is every 10mins

No matter what

Oh and a lot of people would prefer to not to pay twice being that this is a 2 fare zone...

Some people would rather wait for that bus and spend that 2.50 and get that transfer to the train

Than to pay $2 for the Van and the turn around and pay $6.00 for a $5 metrocard

Trust lol

On the topic...except for a handful of buses (primarily the O5 CNGs and the ex-Bees), almost every driver knows that (s)he is being tracked remotely. Central command can, without getting on the road, see if a bus is running hot (read: early). However, by the same token, some operators can be suspected of "dragging the line" as well.

Good, Those drivers screw up the whole route.

TLC licenses the vans. Some even have bus plates. In Brooklyn the vans have two 'authorized' runs: Utica Ave btn Eastern Pkwy and Kings Plaza; Flatbush Ave btn Smith St & Kings Plaza. Police are supposed to ticket & tow improperly licensed vans and nail drivers who violate traffic laws. These guys drive like they're playing a video game!

Sometimes you have to, people drive like mindless robots. If they weren't in the way things would go a lot smoother.

I live along Guy R Brewer as well, bunching or early running buses can cause annoying gaps in service. If you're short on time there's where the dollar vans make their money. Not to mention off peak service is unreliable, rather common to arrive five minutes before a bus is scheduled only to see a bus off in the distance, or not see one for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes the $2 is worth it.

Sometimes you have to, people drive like mindless robots. If they weren't in the way things would go a lot smoother.

True that. At times a guy has to just go around these moving 'potholes'. Believe me I understand. I also understand the concept of driving for a living. Time is money and most of these guys drive like the clock is running out on tomorrow.

Did you know there's a Ford Club Wagon on the cover of the book "How To Drive Recklessly For Profit"?

:rolleyes:

I live along Guy R Brewer as well, bunching or early running buses can cause annoying gaps in service. If you're short on time there's where the dollar vans make their money. Not to mention off peak service is unreliable, rather common to arrive five minutes before a bus is scheduled only to see a bus off in the distance, or not see one for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes the $2 is worth it.

No doubt. The vans wouldn't be there if no one was using them.

True that. At times a guy has to just go around these moving 'potholes'. Believe me I understand. I also understand the concept of driving for a living. Time is money and most of these guys drive like the clock is running out on tomorrow.

Did you know there's a Ford Club Wagon on the cover of the book "How To Drive Recklessly For Profit"?

:rolleyes:

No doubt. The vans wouldn't be there if no one was using them.

Really have you tried DART firststate? Those buses drive like nascar drivers in Kent county that is. They even upgraded service across the state last month although in conjunction with a fare hike to probably pay for the service increases. Let's not get started with NJT or should I say NJRT New Jersey Reckless Transit :lol: .Want  speed in NYC take Q52/53 even the Q11 is fast and that is supposed to be a local!!! Q5 wee go B/O go!! I think I know why the vans haven't came to SI S40 &62 woah buddy you fast.

Well the fact that Q113 is infrequent ain't helping either!!! Have you seen it's schedule? it's really bad want hell try buses in dutchess county they have buses that run every 90 minutes that get constantly SLAMMED. I wouldn't be shocked if they have frequent pass ups. I gave up on their system so compared to that Q113 is awesome.

Really have you tried DART firststate? Those buses drive like nascar drivers in Kent county that is. They even upgraded service across the state last month although in conjunction with a fare hike to probably pay for the service increases. Let's not get started with NJT or should I say NJRT New Jersey Reckless Transit :lol: .Want  speed in NYC take Q52/53 even the Q11 is fast and that is supposed to be a local!!! Q5 wee go B/O go!! I think I know why the vans haven't came to SI S40 &62 woah buddy you fast.

Never had the pleasure to get down to Delaware. Only used the rail side of NJT and I haven't rode a Queens bus the since before Guy R was known as New York Blvd. The Q111 was fast back then. Oh and that time  in 1989 visiting a one nighter near Locust Manor. Maaaan...she was...oh damn I'm drifting off topic. Yeah the Q85 motored going back to the subway next day.

Never had the pleasure to get down to Delaware. Only used the rail side of NJT and I haven't rode a Queens bus the since before Guy R was known as New York Blvd. The Q111 was fast back then. Oh and that time  in 1989 visiting a one nighter near Locust Manor. Maaaan...she was...oh damn I'm drifting off topic. Yeah the Q85 motored going back to the subway next day.

Try B44 SBS it's a very fun ride (speedwise) that is. The bus lane is surprisingly helpful.

Try B44 SBS it's a very fun ride (speedwise) that is. The bus lane is surprisingly helpful.

I haven't had the chance to do the SBS thing yet though I did notice the bus lane was clear btn Glennwood Rd and Flatbush when I came off the (5) last Thursday (2/27) about 430PM. Wonder how long that's gonna last. Just on your say so (and Erica's) I'll give it a shot!

Idk about weekdays but during the weekends I could walk faster than a b44 above Flatbush junction Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Walking N/B or S/B?

It's not the best thing but it's pretty convenient when going on the forum through Tapatalk, some features are not available like the signatures with pictures/destination signs but other than little quirks its pretty good

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

If the Dollar vans in SE queens are any indication of how many customers the MTA misses out on due to buses running slow there's room for improvement.

To speak specifically to that area (along Guy R Brewer where many run, the MTA has local constraints which the Dollar vans get around by ignoring traffic laws.

Just what I want to do......get into a van that makes illegal u-turns in front of on coming traffic.....over the double yellow line......I would wait for a bus with a driver that will follow the law cause..... SAFETY FIRST!!

Archived