Transit thief Darius McCollum released from prison after stealing Trailways bus Read more: http://w

Turbo19

train25n-1-web.jpg
Darius McCollum, 48, is on streets again after serving time for stealing a bus in New Jersey and driving it to Queens.

He's baaaack — hide the keys.

Darius McCollum, the ultimate transit buff, was released from state prison on Tuesday morning.

The 48-year-old had been thrown into the poky in 2010 for stealing a Trailways bus from a Hoboken, N.J., depot and driving it to Queens, stopping to pick up a pack of passengers along the way.

When he was 15, McCollum drove an E train filled with passengers from 34th St.-Penn Station to the World Trade Center.

And while he was at Rikers Island, he penned a letter to the city Correction Department asking if he could take one of the jail’s buses for a joyride.

His mother, Elizabeth McCollum, of Winston-Salem, N.C., told the Daily News on Tuesday that she blamed the transit system, in part, for his obsessive drive.

The octogenarian said motormen had encouraged his bad behavior from when he was young and allowed him to operate subway trains, including the E train.

"They let him do it", she said.

The E-train ride kicked off a three-decade-long fascination with driving trains and buses that resulted in 28 arrests and 18 years spent locked up. McCollum, who has Asperger syndrome — a form of autism characterized by obsessive behavior — has said he can’t help himself.

Read more: Source

Mamma mia...  I think all local agencies should become strict with how they operate. I was on an M50 today.  The driver let us on while going to get a drink which was nice but the bus was basically left unattended and with crazies like this guy out here who knows... Asperger syndrome or not someone could be killed or seriously injured.  Is he being treated for his condition??

Mamma mia...  I think all local agencies should become strict with how they operate. I was on an M50 today.  The driver let us on while going to get a drink which was nice but the bus was basically left unattended and with crazies like this guy out here who knows... Asperger syndrome or not someone could be killed or seriously injured.  Is he being treated for his condition??

As far as any treatment goes it's not really something that's treatable or something akin to a disease or anything. It's a difficult situation for sure.

I thought the first line was added by you (Turbo) at first.

I also love how they describe him as "the ultimate transit buff". Wonder what some people have to say about that.

It looks out of place, doesn't it? Anyway it's the Daily News, so it's just stereotypes to rile up the masses, nothing else.

So who's placing bets he'll wind up back at Rikers?

Yeah well apparently not enough is being done... How many times has he been locked up and then released, only to do the same thing again...

I really couldn't say who's at fault. Surely McCollum needs to take accountability, but on the same token perhaps he needs support from others as well. Clearly his mother is quite understandably sick of his shit, so maybe other psychological therapy can be of help to him.

This is the part of the article I do not get:

"His mother, Elizabeth McCollum, of Winston-Salem, N.C., told the Daily News on Tuesday that she blamed the transit system, in part, for his obsessive drive.

The octogenarian said motormen had encouraged his bad behavior from when he was young and allowed him to operate subway trains, including the E train.

"They let him do it", she said."

That does not make any sense whatsoever. Simply put why would MTA personnel encourage the hijacking of trains in a busy rapid transit system putting their own jobs on the line, as well as, the safety of millions of passengers in jeopardy? Obviously the lady must be anguished with her son spending 18 consecutive years behind bars with 28 arrests on his record, but c'mon now.

"His mother, Elizabeth McCollum, of Winston-Salem, N.C., told the Daily News on Tuesday that she blamed the transit system, in part, for his obsessive drive.

That does not make any sense whatsoever. Simply put why would MTA personnel encourage the hijacking of trains in a busy rapid transit system putting their own jobs on the line, as well as, the safety of millions of passengers in jeopardy? Obviously the lady must be anguished with her son spending 18 consecutive years behind bars with 28 arrests on his record, but c'mon now.

It's happened. I've heard plenty of stories of railroad engineers (talking commuter rail, not even subways) letting foamers get behind the controls. Less work for them.

If you come from a pre-9/11 generation like myself, you know that back in the day it was not uncommon for motormen to let a kid into the cab and show them the whole system. Never happened to me on the subway, but there were multiple commuter rail motormen/women who let me into the cab and let me hold the throttle/brake (with their hand over mine) when I was a little boy. I'm not saying it was responsible, but it was a much less shocking thing than it would be today, something of a nice gesture really.

As for McCollum, as I always say, hire him.

She obviously has some unsettled issues with her son. Either way she's throwing blame around, as if it were something reasonable to do, but the fact is she nor her son gain nothing from it at all.

If you come from a pre-9/11 generation like myself, you know that back in the day it was not uncommon for motormen to let a kid into the cab and show them the whole system. Never happened to me on the subway, but there were multiple commuter rail motormen/women who let me into the cab and let me hold the throttle/brake (with their hand over mine) when I was a little boy. I'm not saying it was responsible, but it was a much less shocking thing than it would be today, something of a nice gesture really.

As for McCollum, as I always say, hire him.

Regardless McCollum's mother is most likely speaking out of spite, placing blame on others before she is blamed, but if anything at all she is losing her credibility by faulting the MTA directly, in a poor attempt to move focus from her.

I mean I think "blame" is a rather silly concept here for a clearly mentally challenged individual (you wouldn't 'blame' his mother for that, would you?). It was a small part of the article and it's probably true; I just don't see why everybody's getting so worked up. Nobody's getting fired over it.

A motorman let Darius operate that E train from 34th to WTC IIRC.. so his mother is right, a motorman DID let him operate a train, he didn't just steal it.

That particular motorman letting Darius operate that train was just a poor decision....

I hope Darius writes a tell all book about his life someday, it would be a GREAT read. Especially with a list of all the Transit vehicles he operated over the years  :lol:

I mean I think "blame" is a rather silly concept here for a clearly mentally challenged individual (you wouldn't 'blame' his mother for that, would you?). It was a small part of the article and it's probably true; I just don't see why everybody's getting so worked up. Nobody's getting fired over it.

Truthfully I could not care less as I'm unbiased. However it's quite apparent Darius has a rocky relationship with his mother, or vice versa, and the instability of it all is what I wanted to focus on.

And while blame is quite ridiculous in this case apparently the (ever so backwards) courts didn't see it as you did and imprisoned him (which I think he gained nothing good out of).

A motorman let Darius operate that E train from 34th to WTC IIRC.. so his mother is right, a motorman DID let him operate a train, he didn't just steal it.

That particular motorman letting Darius operate that train was just a poor decision....

I hope Darius writes a tell all book about his life someday, it would be a GREAT read. Especially with a list of all the Transit vehicles he operated over the years  :lol:

I wouldn't place blame on the motorman as it was evident Darius had a withstanding interest in transit. The dude just let him operate under supervision, of which I don't want to diverge into whether or not it was a wise decision or not.

^^^ Looks like some don't have a sense of humor... Anyway I just hope this dude can get help rather then ending up back in prison again. 

Agreed.

Are you kidding he would become rich!!! :D  ^_^

It's "cute/funny" the first time... How many times has he done this now? Not exactly "cute/funny" anymore...

At least he knew what he was doing while joyriding.

Are you kidding he would become rich!!! :D  ^_^

At least he knew what he was doing while joyriding.

Now I am certain the premise in your latter statement will be up for debate.

In itself it's quite the liability for non MTA workers to operate the various transit vehicle in service. If anyone who "knew what they were doing" could take command the MTA's vehicles then I'm sure over half of this board would have a field day.

And in addition, it is quite possible that Darius could possibly have viewed his actions as entertainment rather then an actual position of service. Granted that I nor can anyone else read his mind but it's reasonable to hypothesize it due to the fact that he's done it as many times as he did.

Mamma mia... I think all local agencies should become strict with how they operate. I was on an M50 today. The driver let us on while going to get a drink which was nice but the bus was basically left unattended and with crazies like this guy out here who knows... Asperger syndrome or not someone could be killed or seriously injured. Is he being treated for his condition??

The average person doesn't even know how to start a bus, hell i know people that think you need a key to start it

Archived