EXCLUSIVE: LIRR strike could start in March if MTA declines proposal - NY Daily News

realizm

lirr24n-6-web.jpg
Thousands of Long Island Rail Road workers will walk off the job March 21 — stranding 285,000 weekday riders — unless the MTA accepts a compromise proposal or requests a final round of contract mediation, union leaders vowed Thursday.

Brace yourselves, Long Island commuters.

A LIRR strike could come as soon as March, the Daily News has learned.

Thousands of Long Island Rail Road workers will walk off the job March 21 — stranding 285,000 weekday riders — unless the MTA accepts a compromise proposal or requests a final round of contract mediation, union leaders vowed Thursday.

Union officials said they have assigned strike captains, designated locations for picket lines andestablished funds to help workers pay their bills during a walkout.

“We don’t want to strike, but we’re ready to go,” said Anthony Simon, general chairman of the Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Union. SMART is the largest among a coalition of LIRR labor unions that haven’t had a contract for 31/2 years.

A union leader said he called the MTA in December to set up a meeting, but hasn’t heard back.

Read more: Source

how perfect,  lets hear what LIRR 154 has to say, and the article the other day where the executives are doing the johnny manzel money celebration while the front line workers cant get one won't help them 1 BIT!

The ball is in their hands , they know their claim of crying broke is looking more and more shady. I doubt it will come to this though.

Shit, I'm all for unions but the inability to compromise is getting old and doing much more harm than good.

the mta is still crying broke and demanding so much from the workers but if you saw the article exposing executive raises, the argument is falling apart, if you didn't here's what im talking about

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/donohue-mta-wage-freezes-thaw-managers-execs-article-1.1584909

the mta is still crying broke and demanding so much from the workers but if you saw the article exposing executive raises, the argument is falling apart, if you didn't here's what im talking about

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/donohue-mta-wage-freezes-thaw-managers-execs-article-1.1584909

Or better yet read the article what the MTA gave MTAPD in their new contract. I'm not against police officers getting raises, but the 7% to 8% raises they got is far more what they want to give us. Who's broke again??

Or better yet read the article what the MTA gave MTAPD in their new contract. I'm not against police officers getting raises, but the 7% to 8% raises they got is far more what they want to give us. Who's broke again??

your welcome,

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/exclusive-mta-police-agree-contract-granting-raise-article-1.1591640

One you look past the raises it's not a very good contract and your PEB 244 recommendation holds a far greater value than what the cops are getting. Their first 3 years of raises are moot with the give backs. The drastic retirement changes, the formation of an extra list to cut overtime, and selling out the unborn.

One you look past the raises it's not a very good contract and your PEB 244 recommendation holds a far greater value than what the cops are getting. Their first 3 years of raises are moot with the give backs. The drastic retirement changes, the formation of an extra list to cut overtime, and selling out the unborn.

I wouldn't say greater when they recommend that all employees pay into their health benefit , when the cops continue to get it free with only new hires paying 2% .

I wouldn't say greater when they recommend that all employees pay into their health benefit , when the cops continue to get it free with only new hires paying 2% .

Don't the cops negotiate their contract based on what other cops get, and not railroad employees?

Would NICE bus get slammed? Or will only the highways become a parking lot like last time? I still remember on the news they showed the Northern State Parkinglot at 6am JAMMED.

Not only NICE would get slammed, but 7Bus ridership will definitely boom.

I'm planning to make guidebook for all LIRR Stations that are accessible by NICE, SCT, HART, Hampton Jitney and 7bus, including adirorack trailways, greyhound.

Good Idea. 

I wonder if NICE will advertise their services.

The LIBRU should go out to LIRR stations and begin informing people about NICE bus and how to use it from the LIRR stations and near their homes to get to NYC and watch the system implode with a rush of 100k more users per day during the strike. Then Complain to the media about inadequate service.  :P

Wow no greedy MTA workers comments from the usual union hating bunch that roam this site?

Most interesting Makes one wonder....

My opinion i don't think it will come to a strike.

I do have to wonder though... Would (MTA) workers be as quick to demand raises if the (MTA) was indeed broke?  That seems to be crux of the argument, but we both know that if these workers get raises, LIRR riders will definitely be paying even higher fares.  I have to wonder when does the breaking point reach? Long Island has extremely high taxes and a population that is dependent upon one of the most overpriced and unreliable railroad systems in the country.  If anything I think this could hurt Long Island in a number of ways... Population loss perhaps, which could mean less taxes coming which could force taxes up even higher.  Lower ridership could mean fewer jobs for LIRR employees.  I know the thinking is that many Long Islanders are upper middle class but at some point even us upper middle class folks get sick of people digging in our pockets.

I do have to wonder though... Would (MTA) workers be as quick to demand raises if the (MTA) was indeed broke?  That seems to be crux of the argument, but we both know that if these workers get raises, LIRR riders will definitely be paying even higher fares.  I have to wonder when does the breaking point reach? Long Island has extremely high taxes and a population that is dependent upon one of the most overpriced and unreliable railroad systems in the country.  If anything I think this could hurt Long Island in a number of ways... Population loss perhaps, which could mean less taxes coming which could force taxes up even higher.  Lower ridership could mean fewer jobs for LIRR employees.  I know the thinking is that many Long Islanders are upper middle class but at some point even us upper middle class folks get sick of people digging in our pockets.

Even if we didn't get a raise , they will raise your fares. The past 4 years the fares have been going up without workers having a contract.

Even if we didn't get a raise , they will raise your fares. The past 4 years the fares have been going up without workers having a contract.

That is true, but they will be even higher with the raises.  There just becomes a point in which those fares are simply not sustainable and both the (MTA) and the LIRR workers have to realize this.  I realize you guys haven't had a raise in X amount of years, but so have many other New Yorkers.  I think to ask for raises, the (MTA) and the LIRR workers need to make a commitment to the LIRR riders to improve service significantly.  It's simply crazy to keep raising prices more and more and giving riders less and less and poorer quality.  If I lived on Long Island, I would move for that reason alone, and I would have to think that at some point Long Islanders have to consider that. Think about it... What good is it living on Long Island when you can't even get to work on time and you're paying a ton of money every month? I've heard of quite a few employers either firing or refusing to hire people from Long Island because of the commuting problems that the LIRR brings.  Surely Long Island politicians have to be thinking about this too.

This article points exactly to what I've been saying:

http://kingspark.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/study-bulk-of-long-islanders-struggles-to-pay-mortgage-rent

Less people on Long Island means fewer tax revenues and less revenue for the (MTA) and perhaps fewer jobs for LIRR workers. Just keep that in mind.

Blame the ones you voted for in Albany who keep taking money away from the MTA.

If the TA was broke then that's another matter as well and i feel things could be worked out, but since that's not the case.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Archived