Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

Yeah and from I remember, the Bx23 is split into 2 or 3 different version during rush hour now.

dude Q50 = flushing qbx1 trips and bx23 = all other qbx1 trips the line was never cut just renumbered you prople don't read do you?

Well, if ridership at these stops is so low that you can just can the stop, then the odds are that an express bus passing them is not going to have to stop and pick up passengers, so there will be little to no time benefit to removing the stop. It's not like the MTA is going to save money - either way that bus is traveling down the Concourse and hitting red lights at least some of the time, and DOT is in charge of maintaining the stops, not MTA. Cutting stops only makes sense in extremely congested areas where the bus would be extremely slowed down by traffic congestion while pulling in and out of stops (and the MTA and DOT's preferred solution to that is bus bulbs, and not cutting stops, as seen by M34 SBS.) Stop pushing your own half-baked ideas because you saw them somewhere and they worked once. Not everything works every time.

How the hell did Queens come up in this thread, anyways?

really you sure what about using allerton ave to bronx river parkway to bruckner expressway? You are just talking cause you don't like me try to see the bigger picture here. Even when I have a point you make up some BS to try to disprove me.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude Q50 = flushing qbx1 trips and bx23 = all other qbx1 trips the line was never cut just renumbered you prople don't read do you?

really you sure what about using allerton ave to bronx river parkway to bruckner expressway? You are just talking cause you don't like me try to see the bigger picture here. Even when I have a point you make up some BS to try to disprove me.

The Bronx River Parkway? The ridiculously unsafe, substandard road with no shoulders, narrow lanes, and a low guardrail, where eight people died in a car crash? This road can't even handle an SUV and you want an express bus on it ? (which, by the way, is illegal)

I'm really confused as to why you keep insisting that parkways should have express bus routes, even though they're narrow, have height restrictions, and are already ridiculously congested.

Not to mention, the expressways you mention suffer from a fairly high rate of car accidents - listen to the morning news and you'll know what I mean.

It seems like you're the one who doesn't know what they're talking about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Q50 is definitely deserving of more frequency, what with the way ridership has been increasing as of late. I can't help but think that it would be better off being extended to Jamaica, to provide Co-Op with a direct Jamaica connection.

Leave the BxM4 route alone, you'll have a chance of garnering non-regulars that way. The more the merrier.

you mean air right? Last I checked they use the subway. Nice try cause they are barely any non regulars on it.

The Bronx River Parkway? The ridiculously unsafe, substandard road with no shoulders, narrow lanes, and a low guardrail, where eight people died in a car crash? This road can't even handle an SUV and you want an express bus on it ? (which, by the way, is illegal)

I'm really confused as to why you keep insisting that parkways should have express bus routes, even though they're narrow, have height restrictions, and are already ridiculously congested.

Not to mention, the expressways you mention suffer from a fairly high rate of car accidents - listen to the morning news and you'll know what I mean.

It seems like you're the one who doesn't know what they're talking about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Q50 is definitely deserving of more frequency, what with the way ridership has been increasing as of late. I can't help but think that it would be better off being extended to Jamaica, to provide Co-Op with a direct Jamaica connection.

Q50 extension I kinda agree with sort of I do see a bunch of em switching to the Q44 though and en masse to boot. You do realize bxm11 uses this same parkway right? Without much problems you know. And buses can't be on it north of gun hill last I checked allerton is south of gun hill nice try dude. Edited by qjtransitmaster

you mean air right? Last I checked they use the subway. Nice try cause they are barely any non regulars on it.

I used it today... Plenty of "non-regulars"... Seems like 161st and 165th get good usage and as the area gentrifies and more people move in that can afford the BxM4 you'll see more people using it but they've got to clean up the Concourse more. There was some sort of "issue" tonight. I just ran to the express bus (literally because I didn't want to wait another hour for it) and got on but the Concourse heading north was closed off. 

I used it today... Plenty of "non-regulars"... Seems like 161st and 165th get good usage and as the area gentrifies and more people move in that can afford the BxM4 you'll see more people using it but they've got to clean up the Concourse more. There was some sort of "issue" tonight. I just ran to the express bus (literally because I didn't want to wait another hour for it) and got on but the Concourse heading north was closed off. 

That issue was some dude trying to off himself at 165th street lol.

Dude, what the f*ck is up with you? Seriously

ditto dude. Lol your hilarious you don't understand a simple renumbering?

Ha ok but nothing will increase offpeak exp bus use there.

let me guess rush hour? I don't think you know what dead horse means I will admit Yankees pwnmets came up with this excellent idea name="YankeesPwnMets" post="681919" timestamp="1370910466"]

Would sending the BxM4 from Woodlawn to Bedford Park then the Major Deegan and extending it to Wall St create more ridership? The Concourse section can be covered by the Bx1/2 and the (B)(D) while sending it down the Deegan would greatly reduce the amount of travel time over instead of having it go over Concourse

Edited by qjtransitmaster

still on this BxM4 anti-crusade huh.......anyway...

I get confused by the 5-4-3-2-1 loop.

How so? All it means is that buses coming from Pelham bay Park subway serve section 5 (earhart, erskine, einstein, etc.) first... These are the buses that get off I-95 at the palmer av exit.

The 1-2-3-4-5 loop means that buses coming from Pelham bay Park subway serve section 1 first....

These are the buses that get off I-95 at the baychester av exit (alongside that pc richards & alongside that popeyes before you hit bartow)...

I thought someone was shot or something.  The cop that was directing traffic was actually getting into verbal arguments with the motorists and some of the motorists started cursing out the cop in Spanish. lol  It seemed as if the motorists didn't understand English enough to heed the cop's requests and so that escalated things of course.

That area is still sketchy to me.  I can see that there are working class folks there and folks that have recently moved in but it still has a vibe that does not sit well with me.  Just one of those New Yorker instincts and I would not feel comfortable "exploring" that area in any way shape or form. The area further south "Mott Haven" I think it is... Whew what a run down neighborhood.  Reminds me of parts of "East Williamsburg".  Just sort of eery feeling and looking with so much industrial things around.  As it gets warmer I can see that area just sort of "heating up" if you know what I mean with lots of "activity". I decided to rearrange my schedule until things settle down there and do what I need to do in the city for the next go-round. lol

When I was walking to the bus, this lady told me that there were no buses running north on the Concourse.  Don't know why she assumed I was heading north but I said well that's good for me because I'm heading to the city. lol

let me guess rush hour? I don't think you know what dead horse means I will admit Yankees pwnmets came up with this excellent idea name="YankeesPwnMets" post="681919" timestamp="1370910466"]

Would sending the BxM4 from Woodlawn to Bedford Park then the Major Deegan and extending it to Wall St create more ridership? The Concourse section can be covered by the Bx1/2 and the (B)(D) while sending it down the Deegan would greatly reduce the amount of travel time over instead of having it go over Concourse

No it was technically past rush hour.... Whether you want to accept it or not, people DO use the BxM4 along the Concourse.  Take a deep breath and accept that already.  <_< I have yet to be on a BxM4 that was empty, even the late ones going to the city.  It's a quick alternative to the subway.  I'm where I need to be in 15 - 20 minutes and you also have a lot of disabled/elderly people who use it and rely on it.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

---------------------------------------

ditto dude. Lol your hilarious you don't understand a simple renumbering?

Ain't nobody got time to give a damn about you, sir.

Edited by Metro CSW

Guest Charles

I thought someone was shot or something.  The cop that was directing traffic was actually getting into verbal arguments with the motorists and some of the motorists started cursing out the cop in Spanish. lol  It seemed as if the motorists didn't understand English enough to heed the cop's requests and so that escalated things of course.

That area is still sketchy to me.  I can see that there are working class folks there and folks that have recently moved in but it still has a vibe that does not sit well with me.  Just one of those New Yorker instincts and I would not feel comfortable "exploring" that area in any way shape or form. The area further south "Mott Haven" I think it is... Whew what a run down neighborhood.  Reminds me of parts of "East Williamsburg".  Just sort of eery feeling and looking with so much industrial things around.  As it gets warmer I can see that area just sort of "heating up" if you know what I mean with lots of "activity". I decided to rearrange my schedule until things settle down there and do what I need to do in the city for the next go-round. lol

When I was walking to the bus, this lady told me that there were no buses running north on the Concourse.  Don't know why she assumed I was heading north but I said well that's good for me because I'm heading to the city. lol

No it was technically past rush hour.... Whether you want to accept it or not, people DO use the BxM4 along the Concourse.  Take a deep breath and accept that already.  <_< I have yet to be on a BxM4 that was empty, even the late ones going to the city.  It's a quick alternative to the subway.  I'm where I need to be in 15 - 20 minutes and you also have a lot of disabled/elderly people who use it and rely on it.  

Boldface: it's the summertime...the block's gonna be hot!

BxM4: I can attest to ridership on the Concourse. I had to get to Westchester today quickly, and instead of taking the (4) to Woodlawn, I opted for the bus. I was the last one past Bedford Park. 6 passengers got off on along the Concourse. It might seem like a small number, but a)it was a late-morning bus headed back up to the Bronx, and b) it still goes to show that people do use the bus.

On an unrelated note, Via, I feel you might know this since you frequent Yonkers routes: Are not all buses equipped with BusTime, or do drivers not turn them on? I haven't had a bad experience yet, but I saw a city bound BxM4 (3101) that didn't show up. Just a few day earlier, I saw this exact same bus on a late evening city-bound BxM1 that didn't pop up when I checked, either. I mean, I highly doubt it was the same driver since the runs were during different parts of the day, so is it a coincidence or a bus issue?

Boldface: it's the summertime...the block's gonna be hot!

BxM4: I can attest to ridership on the Concourse. I had to get to Westchester today quickly, and instead of taking the (4) to Woodlawn, I opted for the bus. I was the last one past Bedford Park. 6 passengers got off on along the Concourse. It might seem like a small number, but a)it was a late-morning bus headed back up to the Bronx, and b) it still goes to show that people do use the bus.

On an unrelated note, Via, I feel you might know this since you frequent Yonkers routes: Are not all buses equipped with BusTime, or do drivers not turn them on? I haven't had a bad experience yet, but I saw a city bound BxM4 (3101) that didn't show up. Just a few day earlier, I saw this exact same bus on a late evening city-bound BxM1 that didn't pop up when I checked, either. I mean, I highly doubt it was the same driver since the runs were during different parts of the day, so is it a coincidence or a bus issue?

I've been writing into Bus Time about this issue because it's happened a bit with a few buses.  What seems to happen is here and there Bus Time gets messed up.  I've seen BxM2's show up on Bus Time for the Midtown trip but then when I'm trying to track them for my Riverdale trip they aren't on Bus Time but they show up.  If you write in about it they usually investigate and get it fixed.  Sometimes it is a server issue depending on the location, the weather and the buildings. I know when Sandy hit, I could not track any BxM18's for a while Downtown.  They would then pop up on Bus Time then they reached say 23rd street.  3111 was a bus that I've had now on the BxM2 a few times going home to Riverdale and I couldn't track that bus to save my life.  It was a problem on the BxM1 for a while too with several buses missing.

They need to come up with a system where they can tell when the tracking device isn't working because otherwise how do they know that Bus Time doesn't work unless someone files a complaint??  <_<

As for the BxM4, I get the impression that some trips aren't packed but still get decent loads nevertheless because if they didn't those runs would've been cut. They are not going to run empty buses like that just because and while you don't have crowds using it along the Concourse, they do indeed use it.  There were about 10 people total that got off yesterday at the first two stops.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I've been writing into Bus Time about this issue because it's happened a bit with a few buses. What seems to happen is here and there Bus Time gets messed up. I've seen BxM2's show up on Bus Time for the Midtown trip but then when I'm trying to track them for my Riverdale trip they aren't on Bus Time but they show up. If you write in about it they usually investigate and get it fixed. Sometimes it is a server issue depending on the location, the weather and the buildings. I know when Sandy hit, I could not track any BxM18's for a while Downtown. They would then pop up on Bus Time then they reached say 23rd street. 3111 was a bus that I've had now on the BxM2 a few times going home to Riverdale and I couldn't track that bus to save my life. It was a problem on the BxM1 for a while too with several buses missing.

They need to come up with a system where they can tell when the tracking device isn't working because otherwise how do they know that Bus Time doesn't work unless someone files a complaint?? <_<

As for the BxM4, I get the impression that some trips aren't packed but still get decent loads nevertheless because if they didn't those runs would've been cut. They are not going to run empty buses like that just because and while you don't have crowds using it along the Concourse, they do indeed use it. There were about 10 people total that got off yesterday at the first two stops.

try looking at several other trips.

Ain't nobody got time to give a damn about you, sir.

I think you need to tell someone else that I am just stating the facts.

I have hence why I said what I said. I've used the BxM4 on several occasions at different times.

so you think this year it's ridership will exceed 500? We shall see then what stops in Manhattan get the most use? If the majority are in Woodlawn why did they not push to make their line faster? I admit that suggestion Yankees pwn made was very good and can significantly increase ridership. So most riders go into Manhattan at AM and PM hours and to bronx mostly at pm hours and a bit after. Very few reverse huh.

so you think this year it's ridership will exceed 500? We shall see then what stops in Manhattan get the most use? If the majority are in Woodlawn why did they not push to make their line faster? I admit that suggestion Yankees pwn made was very good and can significantly increase ridership. So most riders go into Manhattan at AM and PM hours and to bronx mostly at pm hours and a bit after. Very few reverse huh.

Congratulations, you've described most bus routes in the city!

Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It ain't broke. So guess what you don't do?

Oh boy... I was on the bus over the weekend... Forget what time it was but anyway I rode it to 26th street and several people got off with me. 

273 X 6 is equivalent to 1638 dollars. Now if operating per hour hour was $60 (the average is about 1 hour and 10 minutes, so let's say it costs $70) . You have 59 weekend runs (I have no life so yes, I did count *) x70 is 4130. In other words, the MTA loses $2492 per weekend. If you just get 416 riders, the agency would gain 4 dollars in operating the service.  Now let's look at the Weekday Service. I'm going to use 75 minutes as average, so I'll say that it costs $75 per trip on average. The BxM4 has 41 trips. It costs less, $3075 per weekday to operate. You get 407 riders, mulitiplied by 6, is equivalent to $2442. The MTA loses $633 running the BxM4 weekdays. You would need 106 more riders to gain $3 in running the service. You never know though when service might hit a spike in ridership. Overall, the MTA loses $3125 running the BxM4, but that could change. There are routes that generally operate worse than the BxM4.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

273 X 6 is equivalent to 1638 dollars. Now if operating per hour hour was $60 (the average is about 1 hour and 10 minutes, so let's say it costs $70) . You have 59 weekend runs (I have no life so yes, I did count *) x70 is 4130. In other words, the MTA loses $2492 per weekend. If you just get 416 riders, the agency would gain 4 dollars in operating the service. Now let's look at the Weekday Service. I'm going to use 75 minutes as average, so I'll say that it costs $75 per trip on average. The BxM4 has 41 trips. It costs less, $3075 per weekday to operate. You get 407 riders, mulitiplied by 6, is equivalent to $2442. The MTA loses $633 running the BxM4 weekdays. You would need 106 more riders to gain $3 in running the service. You never know though when service might hit a spike in ridership. Overall, the MTA loses $3125 running the BxM4, but that could change. There are routes that generally operate worse than the BxM4.

how come it doesn't gain money on bxm11? By that logic almost all MTA bus express lines with full-time make a profit. Bxm4 has ridership comparable to the QM17 a peak only route with unidirectional service.

Oh boy... I was on the bus over the weekend... Forget what time it was but anyway I rode it to 26th street and several people got off with me.

most got on by brainbridge and woodlawn. Most got off south of 59th in Manhattan?

Congratulations, you've described most bus routes in the city!

Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It ain't broke. So guess what you don't do?

then why were higher ridership lines cut back so much? Why bm1-4 why knock strong lines and let weak ones remain unchanged? Mta thought BMs were broke they weren't that line was. Edited by qjtransitmaster

then why were higher ridership lines cut back so much? Why bm1-4 why knock strong lines and let weak ones remain unchanged? Mta thought BMs were broke they weren't that line was.

I'm pretty sure this is a dead horse, but here goes.

BxM4 is MTA Bus and not NYCT. All budget shortfalls were within NYCT. MTA Bus routes are paid for by the City, and not the MTA. This money is non-transferable - if the MTA were to cut the BxM4, they would not be able to use the City subsidies that they 'saved' to boost NYCT service.

Politics sucks, but it is what it is.

how come it doesn't gain money on bxm11?

most got on by brainbridge and woodlawn. Most got off south of 59th in Manhattan?   then why were higher ridership lines cut back so much? Why bm1-4 why knock strong lines and let weak ones remain unchanged? Mta thought BMs were broke they weren't that line was.

Well if I calculate (To see the long post just contact me personally, no way I'm listing a bunch of eyesore nonsense.

Overall (2010 Pre Cuts) Estimate

BM1: $2760.5 gain Weekdays, $1000 loss Saturday, : $1760 gain per week

BM2: $1016 gain Weekdays, $1164 loss Saturday,: $148 loss per week.

The BM3,4 and 5 data I'm going to have to do later, because I cant find a 2010 copy of them.

Well if I calculate (To see the long post just contact me personally, no way I'm listing a bunch of eyesore nonsense.

Overall (2010 Pre Cuts) Estimate

BM1: $2760.5 gain Weekdays, $1000 loss Saturday, : $1760 gain per week

BM2: $

so MTA numbers are bullshit huh?   

I'm pretty sure this is a dead horse, but here goes.

BxM4 is MTA Bus and not NYCT. All budget shortfalls were within NYCT. MTA Bus routes are paid for by the City, and not the MTA. This money is non-transferable - if the MTA were to cut the BxM4, they would not be able to use the City subsidies that they 'saved' to boost NYCT service.

Politics sucks, but it is what it is.

that but if that was true why cut back on strong BM lines? They could have just reduced bxm4 with limited service hours.

so MTA numbers are bullshit huh?    that but if that was true why cut back on strong BM lines? They could have just reduced bxm4 with limited service hours.

Well do the math. If it's lets say 60 an hour, check the runs, find an average, multiply that by the number of runs.Find out the ridership for 2010, mulitply it by 5.5, and then substract the product by the total cost.