Lexington Av-63 St terminus for Q?

46Dover

The north side is under construction for SAS. They're renovating the entire station and making that half usable, in addition to building a new line starting at the east end of the station. There have been layup tracks over there since the station opened, but I'm pretty sure they're OOS for construction. If you tore the wall down, there was a perfectly usable platform over there.

What could possibly be done before any of the stations on SAS opens, but the station, and a portion of the SAS are competed as far as wherever the next switch is, is have the (Q) stop at Lexington and relay onto the SAS and then go back into service on the other level.

But they probably won't bother with that, and will just wait until the first new stations open.

What could possibly be done before any of the stations on SAS opens, but the station, and a portion of the SAS are competed as far as wherever the next switch is, is have the (Q) stop at Lexington and relay onto the SAS and then go back into service on the other level.

But they probably won't bother with that, and will just wait until the first new stations open.

I imagine the next stop after the Lex Av (Q) in that case would be, what, 72 St?

It wouldn't really make sense to cut the (Q) from Astoria prematurely; better to just do all the changes at once.

Um...no. Next crossover south of there is immediately north of 57th. As said before, train would have to wrong-rail that entire distance, limiting capacity. And there's the fact that the tracks are on different levels. Nothing can really terminate there on either line because of where crossovers are located.

Does the signal system even allow those reverse moves?

While the older parts of the system are not reverse-signalled, the newer stuff is, along with most (if not all) river crossings. Even if it isn't reverse signalled, they could always have a train key by the protecting signal

While the older parts of the system are not reverse-signalled, the newer stuff is, along with most (if not all) river crossings. Even if it isn't reverse signalled, they could always have a train key by the protecting signal
Not true you can do reverse moves at CTL,Parsons Hillside, and Roosevelt ave on the queens blvd corridor... Done it myself. Of course those old signals will be taken out once the get that master tower near completion. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh and Union Turnpike Kew a Gardens as well. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may be more complex than simply keying by. I was on an R train over the winter that was rerouted via 63. We left Lex/63 and crossed over to the mostly-disused BMT 63 St Line and were met with ice on the tracks so high we could not proceed. I was listening on a scanner and the decision was made to reverse into Lex/63 and continue down 6 Av IND terminating at 2nd Av. 

It was a time consuming, complicated procedure. In addition to having to halt and or reroute F trains all the way back to 558 ball at 36 St on the QBL - The T/O had to manually drive down and hook at least one stop arm. If you're unfamiliar, this involves the operator physically leaving the train and descending to the roadbed. 

Hooking a stop arm is not a procedure that's practical for everyday moves. I know that this particular move isn't quite what would be done were the (Q) to turn at Lex/63 - but it's an indication that the area is probably not reverse-signalled.

(original post on that r train thing here if you're in any way curious about more details http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34484-unplanned-subway-service-changes-discussion/)

An excellent example: I actually rode a (7) a few years back that went wrong rail from Grand Central to Hunters Point Av late at night due to construction

Not true you can do reverse moves at CTL,Parsons Hillside, and Roosevelt ave on the queens blvd corridor... Done it myself. Of course those old signals will be taken out once the get that master tower near completion.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkOh and Union Turnpike Kew a Gardens as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snowblock answered a question of mine concerning this with an 8 car marker facing in the normal direction on the Jamaica bound local track at Continental.

Using Tapatalk

No I didn't, that was RTOMan again. Queens is his territory, I just visit there now and then......

Sooner or later somebody will figure it out Snowblock that I just don't talk...

To hear myself talk heh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I swear that's why everyone wants the (F) to run express in Brooklyn, Rutgers-8th and/or Cranberry/6th service, the (5) to old South Ferry on weekends, etc. etc. I'm waiting for somebody to suggest the return of the Canarsie-Jamaica-6th Avenue service (or even one on 8th to take advantage of W4 interlocking) or a Pelham-Lex Express.

the F express in brooklyn from jay st to church av would at least make the ride quicker for the riders south of the park slope stops. Yes the F can't be split, and in the end it probably won't make a difference, but why should a block of riders force everyone else to have a slower ride because they don't want a percived service decrease? If there was an express, the trains from the south would bypass the park slope stops while the local would be empty and park slope riders would have emptier trains.

Back to the original topic, as said two levels is not ideal and it is a very long way from the nearest set of switches. What they should've done was kept 72nd as a 3 track station and use that as a part time terminal/short turn. So there's no reason to open 63rd st for the Q till the sas to 96th st is ready.

the F express in brooklyn from jay st to church av would at least make the ride quicker for the riders south of the park slope stops. Yes the F can't be split, and in the end it probably won't make a difference, but why should a block of riders force everyone else to have a slower ride because they don't want a percived service decrease? If there was an express, the trains from the south would bypass the park slope stops while the local would be empty and park slope riders would have emptier trains.

Back to the original topic, as said two levels is not ideal and it is a very long way from the nearest set of switches. What they should've done was kept 72nd as a 3 track station and use that as a part time terminal/short turn. So there's no reason to open 63rd st for the Q till the sas to 96th st is ready.

How many tracks are supposed to go up to 96th?

Archived