R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep wishing the R44s didn't have issues. That would shut everyone up and they would of been the oldest subway cars in service.

Good thing they were total lemons! :D

Also, what do the R44s have to do with anything? There would still be flame wars over R188s, which have nothing to do with the B division!

I guess some people just hates the interior of the R32s. If the R44s were still running, their interiors would be similar to the other 75' car trains and it wouldn't matter when the (A)(C) had to switch fleets. But that said, R44s had the structural flaws and the R32s were fully stainless steel, so to the people that hates the R32s: it's too bad.

I guess some people just hates the interior of the R32s. If the R44s were still running, their interiors would be similar to the other 75' car trains and it wouldn't matter when the (A)(C) had to switch fleets. But that said, R44s had the structural flaws and the R32s were fully stainless steel, so to the people that hates the R32s: it's too bad.

I don't hate the R32s. As a matter of fact I rode them a whole lot more then any other subway car while I was in NYC and took more pics of them as well. The issues are some users around here constantly portray the R32s as God and think they are the greatest train to have ever run, which leads to disagreements among other users and arguments. With that said, I will end any discussions of R32s on this thread as it has nothing to do with the R188s.

I agree, I am indifferent. I'm not a "I love R32s and hate all NTT" type of person. But I also can't stand the people that are anti-R32 because they are old and they think they speak for everyone in wanting them to be retired because they don't want to see those trains running any more. My problem is with the extremists on both sides.

@Princelex, not to worry, just explaining my point to Ttcsubwayfan.

Now back to the R188 stuff, and folks: please no more R62a's talks. I think that's been beaten to death as it is. Wait till they start moving back in service on the east side and worry about it then.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I agree, I am indifferent. I'm not a "I love R32s and hate all NTT" type of person. But I also can't stand the people that are anti-R32 because they are old and they think they speak for everyone in wanting them to be retired because they don't want to see those trains running any more. My problem is with the extremists on both sides.

Truth (hit my like limit).

To be honest, I guess I am in the middle of this.

The same with me. I like R62A, R32, R68 and R142A (in that order).

On the topic of R188s, is there an estimated arrival date for the first full train?

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Yes, because it makes SO much sense to cancel a train order simply because of whiny twits on the Pelham line. The delivery dates were posted somewhere in this thread and have not been changed yet. Look for them. And let's try not butchering the English language next time you post.

Cheapest is to wait until the R62/62As retire in the late 2020s or past 2030s then the (7) gets newer models that the (MTA) can equipped for CBTC and automate the entire IRT Flushing Line, there they have it. But the R142As that are on the (6) currently were suppose to go for the (7). So now I realized that the (MTA) had all this plan out ever since. I'd rather stick to the December 4, 2011 assignments on the IRT and wait. Besides the R62/62As are in their 20s and like the R142/142As, R143s, R160s, and R32s, they were never lemons and never problematic since day one of their debut (until they hit in their mid-late 40s of course due to aging as usual). Its not like they are going to collapse on the (7), same how I can't deny they won't collapse where ever the New York City Transit Authority assigned them to on the IRT Lexington Avenue Line after the entire Flushing CBTC/R188 plan is concluded.........

Edited by RollOverMyHead

So that mean 5% they won't be any issue when R142A running into 7 line into Steinway tunnel. Who keep forgetting no cause of problem R142A running into Steinway tunnel. So if R142A does go to 7 line. There are some set 6 line will keep R142A . So will 6 line will receive new cars when R62A do retire. If R62A does go to 6 line.

So how many new car R188 146 new cars will replace remaining few set R33 world fair & R36 World car , chance replacing R28 / R29 / R33 #8806 - #9305 at union port yard. Having 146 cars can at least retire R28 / R29 / R33 . R36 at least not being used at Corona Yard not work equipment car , & at least replaced R26 / R28 / R29 / R33 / R36 at least unionport yard. R142A will be converted to R188 that 360 cars. But 146 is new cars. At least they probably can use R62A for work equipment cars.

So how many new car R188 146 new cars will replace remaining few set R33 world fair & R36 World car , chance replacing R28 / R29 / R33 #8806 - #9305 at union port yard. Having 146 cars can at least retire R28 / R29 / R33 . R36 at least not being used at Corona Yard not work equipment car , & at least replaced R26 / R28 / R29 / R33 / R36 at least unionport yard. R142A will be converted to R188 that 360 cars. But 146 is new cars. At least they probably can use R62A for work equipment cars.

Two things. One the Unionport cars R26/28/29/36 are not only just work cars, but museum cars as well and have already been retired. Two when all the R188s arrive and are in service all of the R62As will be sent where ever it is they are being sent and are not being converted to work cars any time soon.

So that mean 5% they won't be any issue when R142A running into 7 line into Steinway tunnel. Who keep forgetting no cause of problem R142A running into Steinway tunnel. So if R142A does go to 7 line. There are some set 6 line will keep R142A . So will 6 line will receive new cars when R62A do retire. If R62A does go to 6 line.

You are jumping the gun big time. If the R62A's go to the (6), then you can wonder if they will get new cars in the future but until then, enjoy the R142A's on the (6) now.

May 13, 2013 is the current scheduled date for the first R188 revenue run on the 7. I'm sure there's about a 0.15% chance of them sticking to that date though.

that day i will stay as far as away from the (7) line if thats the official date (i bet it wont be in service that day) there will be a pack of foamers looking for that train

Doing my best to decipher this "post"...

The only 'Redbirds' surviving in service are either work cars or museum pieces. They are not going to want to replace them for work service with R188s or R62As, and they sure as hell are not going to get rid of the museum cars.