R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Nothing was going to be retired. The trains can stay around for at least 11-15 more years at minimum, if they were to last at least 40 years. Basically think of it as a swap and some extra trains which will also be used for: (7) extension to the Javits center, and various surplus trains for the mainline.

(7) always ran 11-car trains since the start (for the most part, but if there were exceptions anyone can feel free to chime in here). When they had redbirds, the 11th car is taken out because it doesn't have a/c and it runs 10 car trains. Now that it has R62As, it's 11 cars 24/7/365.

R142As never had CBTC, they were equipped to have CBTC installed.

Actually, I was VERY frequent of the 7 during the redbirds era. It's true the R33S had no a/c. But it was always there usually as the 3rd car of the consist. 24/7/365.

@Brighton The R62/A as GC mentioned are veterans but not old. Built in the early-mid 80s, they were the first all stainless steel cars for the IRT. Their life expectancy is 35-40 years. They're built well and have soldiered on for the last 25 years. And will be around for the 10-15 maybe even longer if needed. All reports of their retirement are greatly exaggerated.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, you've been told repeatedly by the mods and members of this forum to stop asking these dumb questions. Nearly all of them have no basis in facts and in reality.

And anyway, your grammar is horrible. I don't even know what you wrote there. "You trying to give loser", what?

are you trying to stalk me or trying threat am i the only person you can treat very well respect is that dumb question. Why are you threat am i the only from you. that assulting. it that dumb question.

Look, you've been told repeatedly by the mods and members of this forum to stop asking these dumb questions. Nearly all of them have no basis in facts and in reality.

And anyway, your grammar is horrible. I don't even know what you wrote there. "You trying to give loser", what?

or are you trying threat me. That stalking issuing. Why can't be yourself except stalking me.

Actually, I was VERY frequent of the 7 during the redbirds era. It's true the R33S had no a/c. But it was always there usually as the 3rd car of the consist. 24/7/365.

@Brighton The R62/A as GC mentioned are veterans but not old. Built in the early-mid 80s, they were the first all stainless steel cars for the IRT. Their life expectancy is 35-40 years. They're built well and have soldiered on for the last 25 years. And will be around for the 10-15 maybe even longer if needed. All reports of their retirement are greatly exaggerated.

Actually, the Single R33s did not run during the summer so during that time, the (7) ran 10-car consists.

or are you trying threat me. That stalking issuing. Why can't be yourself except stalking me.

Conjolio, please get off the drugs. It's not that serious.

is that threat to me . You trying to give loser

are you trying to stalk me or trying threat am i the only person you can treat very well respect is that dumb question. Why are you threat am i the only from you. that assulting. it that dumb question.

Wow, one of the few times I read a subway thread and I see you're here pissing people off (no surprise actually since you do it in other threads) and dissing moderators. Do you really think this a battle you can win or are you going to cut the crap?

Dude, give up and take a damn English class. The trolling is bad enough with PROPER English, but this? This is an embarrassment.

On a related note, we're still waiting for more cars to be delivered, and for them to enter active revenue testing. Several dates have been thrown out already, so I have no idea why people continue to ask the same questions over and over again without going back and just reading. The responsible members of this forum aren't here to pick up for your (you people know who you are) slack. So this has been said before and again: just sit back, and wait. Things will change when they change, and until they change, nothing is absolutely set in stone.

YES! YES! Let's actually talk about TRAINS, to be more specific the R188, WHICH THIS THREAD WAS CREATED SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF!!!!! Damn it, can't we get some peace and talk about TRANSIT around here?!? Sheesh!

EDIT: Can we get an appointment for this guy with my super-strict English teacher? I'd really appreciate that.

Edited by B3 Via Av U

Have you ever heard of the period and the quotation mark? They are very useful.

And by the way, if you tried in English class, you would have a much better defense. You sound like a two-year old saying stalker. I'm twelve, compare my English to your's. I just wonder how old you are.

EDIT: I reported his post.

Edited by Quill Depot

Did the subway swamp just started . Which line will get (R)(6)(2)(A) .

Either post with proper English, or don't post at all.. Don't blame us and all the innocent transit fans here for your mistakes.

And nobody is threatening you here!

Edited by iStopRequest231

So you want to talk like that to my moderator? Check your inbox, we have a gift just for you! Good day.

Now let's move on. How many R188's are to be ordered?

Back on topic. This just a reminder to all that details are usually located on the first post of a topic discussion. Sometimes I go back to edit more info in as things develop.

To be honest, I originally thought that they would retire the R62s, or R62As for the literal people. Then I find out they pull an R160 and make some slight modifications. I never knew that anywhere in the subway had 11 Cars. I thought it was always for R46 length trains, 2 Car, 4 Car, 6 Car, and 8 Car; And for R160 length, 4 Car, 6 Car, 8 Car, and 10 Car.

If the goal were to retire R62A's, it would have been far simpler (and cheaper) to buy new cars in the configuration required by the Flushing line. The only reason for the expensive conversion process is that the R62A's aren't being retired - they're just being moved elsewhere.

I never knew that the (7) and the R142M/188 had CBTC, I never knew what CBTC was. I knew they were going to the (7), but I thought they were just trying to get rid of the R62s out there, or R62As for the people who want to be super specific.

The R142's don't have CBTC. But hooking them up with CBTC is still a lot easier than hooking up R62A's with CBTC, not to mention that making a major investment in car retrofits is more cost-effective on a 2000-era car than on a 1985-era car, simply because the 2000-era car will stick around 15 years longer.

R142As never had CBTC, they were equipped to have CBTC installed.

Actually, they weren't - that's why the cars are going through an major conversion process. The R160's, on the other hand, are CBTC-ready (note how quickly East New York's 64 R160's were equipped with CBTC).

Actually, the Single R33s did not run during the summer so during that time, the (7) ran 10-car consists.

You're both right. For the last two years or so of the redbirds, the 7 kept its full-length trains all summer. But until then, the R33 singles were removed for the summer.

The R142's don't have CBTC. But hooking them up with CBTC is still a lot easier than hooking up R62A's with CBTC, not to mention that making a major investment in car retrofits is more cost-effective on a 2000-era car than on a 1985-era car, simply because the 2000-era car will stick around 15 years longer.

Please. PLEASE. Read before you post. Second person I have told this to about the exact same thing. I said R142M, for those of us who do not know, this is what they call the modified R142As. People also call them R142AMs.

Please. PLEASE. Read before you post. Second person I have told this to about the exact same thing. I said R142M, for those of us who do not know, this is what they call the modified R142As. People also call them R142AMs.

You can call them whatever you want, but "they" don't call them R142M or R142AM. (I assumed it was a typo.)

The R142A's are being modified as part of the R188 contract, and I believe both the converted cars and the new cars will be known as R188's.

NYCT never referred to the R40s as 'R40S' or 'R40M', it was a term invented by railbuffs. Why should it be different here?

Back on topic. This just a reminder to all that details are usually located on the first post of a topic discussion. Sometimes I go back to edit more info in as things develop.

Thanks, just trying to turn the direction.

I'd like to refer to the cars as R142M/AM's. It shows the difference.

NYCT never referred to the R40s as 'R40S' or 'R40M', it was a term invented by railbuffs. Why should it be different here?

It's makes it easy to show the difference by designating them that way, I refer to the slant's as R40's (no suffix) and modified R40's as R40M's.

Reference Guide:

R142M's will be/are converted R142A's to CBTC and use on the (7).

R142AM's will be/are converted R142A's to CBTC and use on the (7).

R188 will be/are new subway cars and are not converted. R188's may be referred to as R142C's.

EDIT: R142AM's are the same thing as R142M's.

Edited by Quill Depot