I was on the (F) that derailed this morning

4P3607

This morning was definitely one of the most interesting experiences I've had on the Subway. As most of you have already heard, this morning at 10:20 AM a Southbound (F) train railroad south of 65 Street derailed. Many people were on that train (over 1,000 from what I hear), a few suffering injuries probably from smoke inhalation. 

First off, I would like to thank the many Firefighters and other emergency service men who were swift and courteous to passengers evacuating the train. As this was the first time I ever had to evacuate a train that was not at a station, I would say the firemen handled the people extremely well. I would also like to thank the train crew who did not make people panic and made sure help arrived as fast as they could. 

I'd also like to thank the passengers who were on that train (or at least in the first car) as I didn't see anyone panic or flip out. Everyone did seem to be frustrated and wanted to get off, but were not out of control.

Anyways, as I was on the train firsthand, I would like to share what happened. Here's what I wrote down after the train went BIE: 

10:19 AM The Southbound (F) train leaves Roosevelt Avenue

10:20 AM Right after 65 Street on the fastest part, the train goes BIE (Brakes in Emergency). The lights were flickering and the track kept making banging noises, probably the stop arm reacting.

10:21 AM Smoke appears in the tunnel. 

10:24 AM T/O and C/R are on the intercom, and there is a call for handbrake. While I was overhearing the conversation, they were saying how the train may have been pulled apart (though it wasn't). The C/R goes onto the intercom and tells passengers to remain calm.

10:32 AM C/R announces that there will be a rescue train coming

10:36 AM T/O comes into last car and announces that the train has derailed and we'll be stuck here for a while.

10:39 AM The Fire department arrives.

I ceased taking notes after that since I had to stand up, but here is what I remember:

> Two passengers made their way to the front and were sat down and given oxygen.

> They were first going to send the rescue train from behind my train. They then decided they were going to send it on the Northbound express track, except there was a wall in the way. 

> Eventually it was decided that they would evacuate via the emergency exit, of which they did.

> I was one of the first people to evacuate and climb down onto the roadbed, where the Firefighters were swift at getting people down the ladder, over the rescue board, then onto the roadbed.

This was the set involved:

SOUTH 5742-5743-5745-5744=5634-5635-5637-5636 NORTH

I overheard that the second and third cars may of had damage, which were 5743 and 5745.

It took and hour to first start moving people out of the train. When the train went BIE, it was like something out of a horror movie. The train stops dead silent and the lights keep flickering / tracks making noises. Then the smoke appears.

Of course, I decided not to bring my camera with me that day since I knew I wouldn't need it. I did have my phone with me and took one picture of inside the train with all the people waiting to evacuate. Almost everyone was taking video with their smartphones, but were told to put them away when evacuating the train.

If anyone says something different happened, tell them to read this since I was there firsthand. It was an interesting experience and will probably never happen again (then again, you never know). 

Here is the one crappy photo:

R46derailment_zps36b6df29.jpg

Thought I would give an overview as to what happened since I was there firsthand. If anyone says anything about speed being the factor, that is a likely cause since the train was going as fast as it could past 65 Street down the hill. Then again, I have had many other trains in that area go that same speed and nothing happened, except they slowed down for the timers after. 

Once again, a thanks to all who helped and condolences to the people who were traumatized or hurt in the incident. Now hopefully they will clean up fast since it's going to be a mess during Rush Hour...

Right now I am on an R188 (7)

CR's says

Ladies And Gentleman! There are no (E)(F) and (R) trains running at 74th St-Broadway. For alternatives, take shuttle buses to Manhattan. Again, ladies and gentleman, there is no or train service! Shuttle buses are running. For alternatives take the (4)(5)(6) trains at Grand Central. The LIRR at Woodside is cross line the MetroCards (and that I didn't understand him.)

Please enter in the nearest doors please. Step all the way in and stand clear of the closing doors.

It is crowded with a lot of people. Rush hour type

Excellent report. What an experience. Worst I've experienced was a (5) train that had an electrical fire/burning and led to an evacuation, nothing like this.

Ha. Worst I've had is a (6) being taken out of service because of a strong burning smell from the undercarriage, and that was a calm "this train is out of service" thing at a station and the train pulled away on its own.

I still can't get the scene where the train is dead silent after BIE with the lights flickering, smoke and stop arm constantly banging against the rail out of my head. Then half the lights go out. 

Brings back memories of my ride home from work, in August of 2003, on the northbound 'E', when it suddenly went into emergency, between Elmhurst and Grand Avenue stations on the express track.  The lights went out as a result of a citywide and regional power blackout.  The train operatior informed us of that, and told us that we might be stuck for a couple of hours awaiting rescue, since the whole city was shut down, with people trapped in lots of trains and elevators.  

Fortunately, we were not trapped in locked R-46's, but good ol' R-32's...

Some of us 'let ourselves out' between the cars, and made our way down the tracks to the Grand Avenue station, using penlights, lighter's, and cell phones for illumination.  Walked to the Queens Center Mall, and caught a Q-88 bus to take me the rest of the way home.

I never have been in a serious situation of this magnitude. However I did have the unfortunate experience of being stranded on the (N) during a major blizzard back in 2006. Power kept on going out, the wheels were actually skidding on the frozen rails and no traction could be produced on the rails. Eventually a locomotive came (was running to keep the rails clear) and gave the R40 Slant consist a push to get it out of the spur from 8th Avenue on the Sea Beach into the tunnel to 59th Street.

But never actually been in a derailment. 

Well again for the record as I've stated before good thing you got out of that predicament safe and sound 4P3607. With time the mental recalls that you experience in your mind will diminish. 

I still can't get the scene where the train is dead silent after BIE with the lights flickering, smoke and stop arm constantly banging against the rail out of my head. Then half the lights go out. 

That stuff sticks with you. I was on an M2 that crashed a few years ago, whole scene is still in my head. Wasn't hurt or anything, but it's all vivid to me.

Brings back memories of my ride home from work, in August of 2003, on the northbound 'E', when it suddenly went into emergency, between Elmhurst and Grand Avenue stations on the express track.  The lights went out as a result of a citywide and regional power blackout.  The train operatior informed us of that, and told us that we might be stuck for a couple of hours awaiting rescue, since the whole city was shut down, with people trapped in lots of trains and elevators.  

Fortunately, we were not trapped in locked R-46's, but good ol' R-32's...

Some of us 'let ourselves out' between the cars, and made our way down the tracks to the Grand Avenue station, using penlights, lighter's, and cell phones for illumination.  Walked to the Queens Center Mall, and caught a Q-88 bus to take me the rest of the way home.

I agree R32s would make it a much more pleasurable experience.

At that point I'm surprised that any of you would even care about the subway car you were in after being stuck so long. The only thing I would care about is finding a way to get the f**k out.

I'm lucky enough to have not gone through any of the crazy sh*t some of you guys have gone through on the subway. The worst that has happened to me was when a track fire at Brooklyn Bridge stranded my (4) train on the express tracks between 14th and Brooklyn Bridge for 90 minutes. Luckily, we were stalled at Bleecker St, far away from the power out zone. A/C and lighting still worked and I had a seat so most of the time was spent just sitting, waiting, reading, or playing games on my phone.

Archived