Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Is it just me or has the R32s' motor system been upgraded due to SMS? Ugh...I miss the older propulsion system. Nowdays, they sound just like the R68s and the R62As whenever they blast at full 30-35 or 40-45 MPH into a station! Bah......Oh well...

So Im not the only one who notices this, they sound newer. Thats why I miss the (7) 's R62As before they were SMSed. I like the way WH propulsion sounds when its old.

2000 was a good single, now its in a 5-car set :( . The odd thing about that car is that when it was a single is was always the lead car, now thats its in a 5-car set it will always be the lead car lol. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already explain why I don't like it if you had read my post above 4P3607's...That's all...

You called them crappy because they sound different. That is hardly a good justification - the SMS is meant to improve the 32s' reliability, and if it means different sounding propulsion, so be it.

That's like calling the 62/68 cars crappy because they don't fit in with your tastes, even though the MDBF favors the cars.

Oh Who gives a shit, they still sound the same, they Needed to get SMS'ed, if you want sound ride 3611, that would shut you guys up, at the end of the day its all about getting them to run, and so far the R32's are doing better, as for the R42's thats a different story, i heard they been taking parts from the dead R42's and been using their parts for the R62A SMS since the R42's are westinghouse, The Phase I R32's are GE's

He OBVIOUSLY met crappy in terms of SOUND. You can tell by the content of his posts.

Thank you CDTA. Doesn't mean I dislike the entire fleet all together, generally speaking.

Oh Who gives a shit, they still sound the same, they Needed to get SMS'ed, if you want sound ride 3611, that would shut you guys up, at the end of the day its all about getting them to run, and so far the R32's are doing better, as for the R42's thats a different story, i heard they been taking parts from the dead R42's and been using their parts for the R62A SMS since the R42's are westinghouse, The Phase I R32's are GE's

I'm glad they didn't SMS'ed the R42s since they are only 48 of them left. Otherwise, that would have mean an upgraded motor system. I'm still going to stand by my own personal taste though. And I'm sure those leftover R42s will be at least okay until the R179s arrive for revenue service.

Thank you CDTA. Doesn't mean I dislike the entire fleet all together, generally speaking.

I'm glad they didn't SMS'ed the R42s since they are only 48 of them left. Otherwise, that would have mean an upgraded motor system. I'm still going to stand by my own personal taste though. And I'm sure those leftover R42s will be at least okay until the R179s arrive for revenue service.

Ummmm yeah About the R42's.......................................

Ummmm yeah About the R42's.......................................

Transit employees are not gods. Misinformation in those circles is common, especially about retirements. Until I see evidence from the MTA that the R42s won't last until the R179s, then I'm going to assume that they will.

Also, you also claimed the R160s would go to the (B)...

so...

where are they??

once the R32 SMS is done, 207th isnt going to need all 222 R32s anymore, they only need a maximum of 180-190 cars since the C requires 144 R32s,and if on the A the same amount for the summer, leaving 30-40 R32s free, if the TA wants to, those 48 oddball R42s can retire at anytime, its all about cutting costs and having one 60 foot SMEE car class instead of 2, the R42s arent being maintained as much, if they were to stay they would need work,simple as that, all of the R32s should be done with SMS by march

I remember there used to be 240 R32s in passenger service during like say 2009-2010 until 18 more were removed (10 for work while the other 8 went off to Fresh Pond then East New York). To be honest, that really angered me because they had enough R32s to make the (C) full length with 180/240 of them and leaving 60 as spares. That way, it wouldn't matter if they had to switch them to the (A) every summer or even keep 'em there and make the (C) entirely R46. And IMO it was okay for those 48 R42s to stay due to the reason I mention previously before this sentence. The R32s' spare factor was quite high at that moment. Yet, only 222 were left for passenger service and the (C) will be stuck as 8-cars of 60 footers for the next decades. I am sick of the (MTA) being way too logical with stuff like that...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I just hope the R32s aren't replaced. I hate the new look of the trains. It's only advantage is that I can set my boundaries as far as how much room I have in regards to other people and whether or not I let them sit next to me. I usually have something I can put down on the seat. Other than that, I much prefer the R32s.

once the R32 SMS is done, 207th isnt going to need all 222 R32s anymore, they only need a maximum of 180-190 cars since the C requires 144 R32s,and if on the A the same amount for the summer, leaving 30-40 R32s free, if the TA wants to, those 48 oddball R42s can retire at anytime, its all about cutting costs and having one 60 foot SMEE car class instead of 2, the R42s arent being maintained as much, if they were to stay they would need work,simple as that, all of the R32s should be done with SMS by march

Say what you will about what sources are reliable and such, but the numbers behind this post work out. I don't see why people have such an issue with this...

@Art Vandelay and R3838

Well......I myself personally want to keep the now-minor RFW on the (J)(Z) route with those R42s. I have never rode the R38s, R40s and R44s as I didn't travel by public transportation until mid-2011 due to personal reasons by my parents. Thanks to those lemons they call R44s, I finally get to ride the R32s and even the R42s. I've already gotten an RFW on the entire (C) route last December and recently on the (J)(Z) with those R42s. So I don't think they should get rid of the R42s for that reason. Yeah yeah, I know I'll be criticize for this...Call me a foamer if you want...But THIS is the railfan in me talking. Laugh out loud. Just letting out my takes. I always wanted to get an RFW on the older train types of R32s, R38s, R40s and R42s and get as many rides as possible as those trains were retiring (with the exception of the 222/600 R32s and 48/400 R42s which were left). I always wanted to take public transportation when I got to junior high school but not until high school due to "personal" reasons by my own parents...Leave my R42s at East New York Yard until the R179s arrive. I want my front window view on the Jamaica/Nassau line kept as it is minority. No offensive intended at all.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Say what you will about what sources are reliable and such, but the numbers behind this post work out. I don't see why people have such an issue with this...

Those numbers dont lie indeed. But DOS sees the C not needing full length sets. And I agree. 

Some may say "everytime i see the C during rush, Its packed". My question to them would be "Do you see every car crowded?" Because in all the years, ive never seen it consistently enough to warrant 10-car trains. Why constantly wear out the motors, brakes and doors of 10 cars each set when b is good enough. Thats where the logistics make sense. Penny-pinching, as it could be described, may help reduce fare-hikes. Something we all(well, not me anymore) complain about.

I love how heads use the argument of the Summer Swaps as a reason to make the C full length but all it shows is those forgetting WHY those swaps happened in the first place.

@Art Vandelay and R3838

Well......I myself personally want to keep the now-minor RFW on the (J)(Z) route with those R42s. I have never rode the R38s, R40s and R44s as I didn't travel by public transportation until mid-2011 due to personal reasons by my parents. Thanks to those lemons they call R44s, I finally get to ride the R32s and even the R42s. I've already gotten an RFW on the entire (C) route last December and recently on the (J)(Z) with those R42s. So I don't think they should get rid of the R42s for that reason. Yeah yeah, I know I'll be criticize for this...Call me a foamer if you want...But THIS is the railfan in me talking. Laugh out loud. Just letting out my takes. I always wanted to get an RFW on the older train types of R32s, R38s, R40s and R42s and get as many rides as possible as those trains were retiring (with the exception of the 222/600 R32s and 48/400 R42s which were left). I always wanted to take public transportation when I got to junior high school but not until high school due to "personal" reasons by my own parents...Leave my R42s at East New York Yard until the R179s arrive. I want my front window view on the Jamaica/Nassau line kept as it is minority. No offensive intended at all.

Your R42's? Have you seen the rust on the R42's, they look like they will die before the R179's come. "Nothing gold can stay" - Robert Frost.