Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic, but does anyone know what happened to R32s 3370-3371, 3630-3631, 3786-3787 and 3836-3837? I heard rumors that they were returning to service.

I heard 3370-3371 slipped back into service on the (C) after it was SMSed, There is another pair that is also out for SMS, as of now the other 2 pairs are on different tracks in ENY.

R323838 posted this a while ago, I forgot the other set number....

It's not like they are used that often outside of rush hour anyway. From what I heard, they're all assigned to the (Z), except for one train, which is sometimes used on weekends.

R42's should be sent to Jamaica and run on the (E) or (R), which are completely underground. Some R160's from Jamaica would then go to ENY and run on the (Z).

Those numbers dont lie indeed. But DOS sees the C not needing full length sets. And I agree. 

Some may say "everytime i see the C during rush, Its packed". My question to them would be "Do you see every car crowded?" Because in all the years, ive never seen it consistently enough to warrant 10-car trains. Why constantly wear out the motors, brakes and doors of 10 cars each set when b is good enough. Thats where the logistics make sense. Penny-pinching, as it could be described, may help reduce fare-hikes. Something we all(well, not me anymore) complain about.

I love how heads use the argument of the Summer Swaps as a reason to make the C full length but all it shows is those forgetting WHY those swaps happened in the first place.

I am sorry- I was being unclear- 

What I meant was: the numbers work out for the R32 replacing the R42 at ENY if such a need should arise. There are enough R32s for that. 

It makes no sense whatsoever to extend the R32 to full length just to shorten it again sometime in the next 5 years. 

R42's should be sent to Jamaica and run on the (E) or (R), which are completely underground. Some R160's from Jamaica would then go to ENY and run on the (Z).

HELL NO im glad the R42s are gone from jamaica, they were horrible

What I meant was: the numbers work out for the R32 replacing the R42 at ENY if such a need should arise. There are enough R32s for that. 

It makes no sense whatsoever to extend the R32 to full length just to shorten it again sometime in the next 5 years. 

thats what ive been saying for the longest

That plan makes no sense and what will you do with the left over 2 cars per train? The r160s at jyd are 10 car trains. I also believe the new M requires slightly more trains than the old M. Edited by Grand Concourse

That plan makes no sense and what will you do with the left over 2 cars per train? The r160s at jyd are 10 car trains. I also believe the new M requires slightly more trains than the old M.

Yeah, the old brown M used to ran about 17-18 trains. The new orange (M) runs 23 trains.

But if they had not scrapped those 18 R32s (10 for work and 8 being unactive at Fresh Pond then East New York), there would have been 240 R32s in service instead of 222. And there would have been enough cars to make the (C) full length, leaving 60 R32s as spares and there wouldn't be any problem of keeping those 48 R42s at East New York obviously because the (MTA) didn't have enough money for more R160s to make the (J)(Z) exclusively of those like the (M). And most of the R179 fleet would have been in 5-car sets and some in 4-car sets. Believe me, I'm not saying that the (C) HAS to be full length due to the R32/42/46 summer swap...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

But if they had not scrapped those 18 R32s (10 for work and 8 being unactive at Fresh Pond then East New York)

I do remember rumors of the 8 inactive R32s being prepped for service again, and some of them are even back. But yeah, I do wonder why the 10 work cars were restricted to such service...

Edited by mtattrain

Say what you will about what sources are reliable and such, but the numbers behind this post work out. I don't see why people have such an issue with this...

HELL NO im glad the R42s are gone from jamaica, they were horrible

thats what ive been saying for the longest

Read this:

And to the issues of the R42s, current (MTA)

literature has them as being replaced by the R179s, regardless of the

current deplorable conditions of the cars or any unconfirmed information

we've herd.

That plan makes no sense and what will you do with the left over 2 cars per train? The r160s at jyd are 10 car trains. I also believe the new M requires slightly more trains than the old M.

There'd be more than 2 left over cars, due to the 4-car sets. I don't think the Eastern division platforms can even handle 10 car trains

Read this:

There'd be more than 2 left over cars, due to the 4-car sets. I don't think the Eastern division platforms can even handle 10 car trains

2 cars per train*

And I think the max they can handle would be 9 car trains, but of course it would be a hassle dealing with a mix of 4 and 5 car sets. Thus 8 or 10 60' car trains only.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I do remember rumors of the 8 inactive R32s being prepped for service again, and some of them are even back. But yeah, I do wonder why the 10 work cars were restricted to such service...

those 10 R32's replaced about 16 Redbird Work Motors from 38th st yard, thats why they are work motors now, but any given chance they CAN return to service if needed

once the R32 SMS is done, 207th isnt going to need all 222 R32s anymore, they only need a maximum of 180-190 cars since the C requires 144 R32s,and if on the A the same amount for the summer, leaving 30-40 R32s free, if the TA wants to, those 48 oddball R42s can retire at anytime, its all about cutting costs and having one 60 foot SMEE car class instead of 2, the R42s arent being maintained as much, if they were to stay they would need work,simple as that, all of the R32s should be done with SMS by march

Has the majority of the fleet really been SMS'd? I can't tell at all which pairs have seen maintenance and which haven't, since they are mostly still dirty as crap...

I saw #3621 and #3644 coupled together. Does that mean anything?

Many such cars exist. 3891/3520, 3470/3919, 3862/3521 are just a few examples, the R32 page on nycsubway has the full list.

Apparently, this was because single cars were taken out of service to be overhauled, based on how poorly they were performing, and if 3891 and 3520 were performing worse than 3890 and 3520 then they'd be taken out of service first, overhauled and mated. Who the hell thought that this was a good idea?!

Many such cars exist. 3891/3520, 3470/3919, 3862/3521 are just a few examples, the R32 page on nycsubway has the full list.

Apparently, this was because single cars were taken out of service to be overhauled, based on how poorly they were performing, and if 3891 and 3520 were performing worse than 3890 and 3520 then they'd be taken out of service first, overhauled and mated. Who the hell thought that this was a good idea?!

That was the case for pretty much all if them except one car