CBTC- good or bad?

INDman

I have a very basic understanding of what CBTC (computer based train control) is, Computers regulate a train's speed and allow them to be run closer together. I have heard that on the (L) train, with CBTC running it takes longer for a train to travel from 14th Street/ 8th Ave to Rockaway Pkwy. Now I don't personaly know if this is true since I never ride the (L), but if it is ture how does this make any sence. Does this mean that there are more trains running at slower speeds? If my understanding of CBTC is incorrect please tell me what it is and how it works.

CBTC is good. I remember a T/O saying that (L) trains run 5 MPH faster overall with CBTC in place. However, the R160A sets on the (L) mess things up since they don't have CBTC for now and that slows down the system. Once the glitches and stuff are worked out it will perform well.

That is right Dave with the R143's in Bypass, but remeber one thing, if you are following a ByPass R143 with a CBTC R143 the two trains are still talking to the CBTC system. This means that you can get closer to that train in front then you would be able to with an R160. How many time did you have to sit just outside of New Lots just because the train was a R160 in front. I know I had many people get pissed off at me becouse I was that close and I could not get into the station. They did not want to hear that the computer did not want to let me in.

• 5 months later...
That is right Dave with the R143's in Bypass, but remeber one thing, if you are following a ByPass R143 with a CBTC R143 the two trains are still talking to the CBTC system. This means that you can get closer to that train in front then you would be able to with an R160. How many time did you have to sit just outside of New Lots just because the train was a R160 in front. I know I had many people get pissed off at me because I was that close and I could not get into the station. They did not want to hear that the computer did not want to let me in.

Am I correct that the L line CBTC system is derived from the Meteor system used on the full-automatic Paris Metro Line 14? I've ridden that line -- it has no operators on the trains and runs at 85-second headways. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_M%C3%A9tro_Line_14

Mikey

64 R160As are going to be retrofitted with CBTC to run with the R143s.

Personally, i dont think the MTA should even use Automated technology. People need the jubs and there are going to be many problems. Too many and the MTA is just going to end up scrapping the idea.

64 R160As are going to be retrofitted with CBTC to run with the R143s.

Personally, i dont think the MTA should even use Automated technology. People need the jubs and there are going to be many problems. Too many and the MTA is just going to end up scrapping the idea.

The TWU doesn't like the OPTO plan either.

Well just seen a bulletin they going to try ATO/CBTC on the (L) Line soon all (L) T/O's need to be refreshed on CBTC/ATO Proceedures. Only R143's in CBTC Mode will be ATO while T/O's on R160 and R143 Bypass mode will still operate there trains via signal systerm.

I'm not a fan of OPTO trains because I like working with a partner however I been thinking about the (G) Wkends just because I got that itch to operate the doors.

A system is never old enough to become new again.

Who cares about age? CBTC is a setup for disaster. You couldnt even test ATO without a fire an the Times Square Shuttle. Besides, to test it out, you'll have to close an entire line after hours. It happened a while ago, i think before the R160s were on the (L) line.

P.S. 64 R160s will be retrofitted with CBTC to run with the R143s.

Who cares about age? CBTC is a setup for disaster. You couldnt even test ATO without a fire an the Times Square Shuttle. Besides, to test it out, you'll have to close an entire line after hours. It happened a while ago, i think before the R160s were on the (L) line.

P.S. 64 R160s will be retrofitted with CBTC to run with the R143s.

CBTC is a good system, however the way the MTA executed it was not the best way to implement it.

Archived