NYC savings from MTA takeover of private bus routes never arrived

Harry

The super express trips would be attractive enough, because it would still arrive around the same time or beat the three non-super express trips which departed Glen Oaks beforehand. Maybe extending one of the earlier 6:00 am trips could work too, and there's your 4 trips each way.

Yeah well that's what I was thinking... Run service from NST say every 30 minutes roughly.  Can't do it any longer than that for the AM rush.  Those who want more service can take the QM6 and transfer by Union Turnpike and 260th.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really have to stop with these one liner "no" sentences.

Good luck on that. All he ever does is post nonsense like that. 1 line statements without offering more to it. Pity the dislike button was removed.

As for the original topic, my 2cents: well of course there's no savings. You have the costs of replacing old and in some cases very neglected buses with brand new buses. In some cases even those new buses are still treated like crap. Then there's also the service adjustments where some lines got more service/expansions compared to the previous pbl service to match the needs of the ridership. So I don't see why anyone's surprised. Ideally the real savings would be when they can start to integrate nyct with mta bus lines and unions so overlapping lines could be merged or eliminated.

Speaking of the North Shore Towers, do those QM6 buses literally go pass the check point and past the gated part to drop-off and pick-up passengers? I tried to go past the check point using Google and could not.  If that's the case that is pretty unique. I can't think of any express bus that does that.  The X28/X38 goes to the Sea Gate (another gated community) border but doesn't enter Sea Gate.

Yes, there is passenger activity inside North Shore Towers....

What is the procedure once those folks get off of the QM6?  They're technically inside of the gated community at that point...

Well, I would assume most of them are residents or guests. I've always wanted to take the QM6 to the last stop, but I don't know what exactly happens to non-residents, especially if they're gonna catch a bus back.

Well, I would assume most of them are residents or guests. I've always wanted to take the QM6 to the last stop, but I don't know what exactly happens to non-residents, especially if they're gonna catch a bus back.

That's exactly my question... lol If I were to move in Queens, it would have to be far out away from the subway with a suburban feel with decent express bus service near, and the North Shore Towers could be a nice fit if I ever leave Riverdale, which at the moment is very unlikely. I like the whole idea of it being a gated community though.... Very appealing since you don't have to worry about tourists or other outsiders coming into the area, which means peace and quiet.

That's exactly my question... lol If I were to move in Queens, it would have to be far out away from the subway with a suburban feel with decent express bus service near, and the North Shore Towers could be a nice fit if I ever leave Riverdale, which at the moment is very unlikely. I like the whole idea of it being a gated community though.... Very appealing since you don't have to worry about tourists or other outsiders coming into the area, which means peace and quiet.

Should that happen, I'll make sure to walk from 188/64 to Union Tpke to bother you on the QM6 (lol...).

What is the procedure once those folks get off of the QM6?  They're technically inside of the gated community at that point...

Whoever's on the bus simply get off the bus, once they're inside NST..... No special checks or anything like that.

(i.e., not like NJT's #317 [when it used to run in & through ft. dix] - the bus would stop @ the checkpoint, a military officer boards the bus & asks everyone for I.D.... No ID, you got kicked the f*** off the bus right then & there - I know that b/c I was on a bus where the officer & the b/o told the lady she couldn't ride any further)....

Anyway, The time I rode it (as the Qm1a) in there, I got off at the first bldg. (If you're looking at a map, it's the left-most bldg)..... the bus stopped at/served all 3 bldg's, then took its layover along the northern-most roadway inside NST (I walked slower than normal to see what/where/if the bus would terminate inside ST).... From there, I walked from NST to the LIJ stop along Lakeville rd. for the Q46 (the security booth/checkpoint is on the side entering NST... on the side of the road leaving, there's no booth)....

Take a trip out there for yourselves & check it out... I wasn't harassed by anyone whatsoever; walked out of there, no questions asked (more than what I can say when I first rode the (what was then the) Q101R to rikers)... But yeah, when I got off, an elderly couple also got off at that bldg... I helped the guy/couple with his/their bags off the bus & what not, then the bellhop took over - all 3 of them said thank you (they had a convo afterwards, so there was definitely had a rapport there)......

This was years ago though, so I don't know if things have changed since the route became the "QM6"; doubt it would though.....

Whoever's on the bus simply get off the bus, once they're inside NST..... No special checks or anything like that.

(i.e., not like NJT's #317 [when it used to run in & through ft. dix] - the bus would stop @ the checkpoint, a military officer boards the bus & asks everyone for I.D.... No ID, you got kicked the f*** off the bus right then & there - I know that b/c I was on a bus where the officer & the b/o told the lady she couldn't ride any further)....

Anyway, The time I rode it (as the Qm1a) in there, I got off at the first bldg. (If you're looking at a map, it's the left-most bldg)..... the bus stopped at/served all 3 bldg's, then took its layover along the northern-most roadway inside NST (I walked slower than normal to see what/where/if the bus would terminate inside ST).... From there, I walked from NST to the LIJ stop along Lakeville rd. for the Q46 (the security booth/checkpoint is on the side entering NST... on the side of the road leaving, there's no booth)....

Take a trip out there for yourselves & check it out... I wasn't harassed by anyone whatsoever; walked out of there, no questions asked (more than what I can say when I first rode the (what was then the) Q101R to rikers)... But yeah, when I got off, an elderly couple also got off at that bldg... I helped the guy/couple with his/their bags off the bus & what not, then the bellhop took over - all 3 of them said thank you (they had a convo afterwards, so there was definitely had a rapport there)......

This was years ago though, so I don't know if things have changed since the route became the "QM6"; doubt it would though.....

You know I really wonder if a NYCT express bus would ever do this... The closest a NYCT exporess bus came was when they re-routed the X30 to serve the folks in that complex along South Avenue near the service road.  I just find this set up so unique and I have to think that there must've been some agreement made to have that express bus service NST directly.  I just wonder if NST had to pay anything to have such direct service or if the city made an agreement when the complex was built.

North Shore Towers has a number of bigwigs living in it that make a big fuss and get on the local news whenever the QM6 (and back when it was the QM1/A) is threatened. I suspect that if they really wanted downtown direct service, they would have gotten it. A lot of the people that take the QM6 from NST are older people going to midtown...very few young finance guys or otherwise who work downtown. I just don't think the demand is there. 

As for getting off inside the towers, I've done it once or twice and everything is pretty chill out there. No security guards asking for visitor passes or anything like that. Now, if you tried to go in the buildings, that is something else. But if you are just roaming outside, no one bothers you (unless maybe you look suspicious or whatever). A bunch of B/O's will hang out there too while waiting to start a run. 

And yes, it is a bit of an unusual private-public relationship with the QM6 actually serving as a bus for the towers. But, it also gives a solid ridership base to a particularly long express bus route, which is perhaps something that the MTA should look into doing with other express routes. 

North Shore Towers has a number of bigwigs living in it that make a big fuss and get on the local news whenever the QM6 (and back when it was the QM1/A) is threatened. I suspect that if they really wanted downtown direct service, they would have gotten it. A lot of the people that take the QM6 from NST are older people going to midtown...very few young finance guys or otherwise who work downtown. I just don't think the demand is there.  

Well I'm not so sure about the whole Downtown set up.  Even though (MTA) Bus operates the QM6, the (MTA) has been becoming more and more stingy with express bus service.  As for the demand, well I believe that the majority of the residents there are still older, BUT I have been hearing of younger single professionals moving in as well of late, though a lot of them are coming from Long Island who want to be closer to the city, but still have a semi-suburban type of living but in an apartment and the North Shore Towers checks a number of boxes for them.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/realestate/20lizo.html?_r=0

The QM6 sounds a lot like Riverdale folks.  A lot of older professionals and bigwigs, and I am usually the only young white collar guy on the bus who doesn't have grey hair or that isn't balding.  :lol:

I had no idea that it stopped at all three buildings though.  That's pretty sweet.  Dare I say almost like concierge service... Speaking of which, from what I've seen, NST, markets the QM6 as more of a bus to use when you want to go shopping to the city and don't want to drive, rather than a bus for white collar professionals, which kind of makes the whole set up sound like a living environment for old money. lol

Well I'm not so sure about the whole Downtown set up.  Even though (MTA) Bus operates the QM6, the (MTA) has been becoming more and more stingy with express bus service.  As for the demand, well I believe that the majority of the residents there are still older, BUT I have been hearing of younger single professionals moving in as well of late, though a lot of them are coming from Long Island who want to be closer to the city, but still have a semi-suburban type of living but in an apartment and the North Shore Towers checks a number of boxes for them.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/realestate/20lizo.html?_r=0

The QM6 sounds a lot like Riverdale folks.  A lot of older professionals and bigwigs, and I am usually the only young white collar guy on the bus who doesn't have grey hair or that isn't balding.  :lol:

I had no idea that it stopped at all three buildings though.  That's pretty sweet.  Dare I say almost like concierge service... Speaking of which, from what I've seen, NST, markets the QM6 as more of a bus to use when you want to go shopping to the city and don't want to drive, rather than a bus for white collar professionals, which kind of makes the whole set up sound like a living environment for old money. lol

I didn't knoe anyone under 60 lived in NST, that's good to know LOL. 

I have the same experience when I take the QM6

That's exactly right, it's mostly for the old ladies who want to go shopping in Bloomingdales or whatever. They all love sitting in the first seat and talking to the B/O

I didn't knoe anyone under 60 lived in NST, that's good to know LOL. 

I have the same experience when I take the QM6

That's exactly right, it's mostly for the old ladies who want to go shopping in Bloomingdales or whatever. They all love sitting in the first seat and talking to the B/O

LOL... Yes we certainly have those types here in Riverdale.  The neighborhood is advertised as a retirement community for folks from Manhattan, but luckily we have more younger families from Manhattan and Westchester moving here as well.  It's funny though what a difference marketing makes in terms of ridership and the type of riders certain lines get.  The fact that more younger folks are moving to NST is precisely why there has been more balking about Downtown service, but I don't think their presence is that big yet for them to be taken seriously.

LOL... Yes we certainly have those types here in Riverdale.  The neighborhood is advertised as a retirement community for folks from Manhattan, but luckily we have more younger families from Manhattan and Westchester moving here as well.  It's funny though what a difference marketing makes in terms of ridership and the type of riders certain lines get.  The fact that more younger folks are moving to NST is precisely why there has been more balking about Downtown service, but I don't think their presence is that big yet for them to be taken seriously.

Last I heard, they wanted a QM8 extension to the towers. What was proposed that it would take the back way into the towers, not like the way the QM6 goes through.

That's good to know guys, thanks for the info. I personally haven't heard anyone talking about this on the QM6, but I've been taking it less often than I used to. 

North Shore Towers has a number of bigwigs living in it that make a big fuss and get on the local news whenever the QM6 (and back when it was the QM1/A) is threatened.

They make an even bigger fuss whenever somebody dares to suggest extending the Q46 into the towers. The $6 bus is okay, but the $2.50 bus is too low-class for them.

They make an even bigger fuss whenever somebody dares to suggest extending the Q46 into the towers. The $6 bus is okay, but the $2.50 bus is too low-class for them.

They don't need the Q46 because they have vehicles that can take them and their guests to places locally within the area, as that is who is permitted inside of the buildings aside from employees who work there.  All they have to do is request the service, and a car or van can be sent to pick them up, so why would they want the Q46 coming into the complex?  Given the fact that it's a gated/private community, they have every right to decide what they want and don't want coming in there.  That's what they're paying for...  

They don't need the Q46 because they have vehicles that can take them and their guests to places locally within the area, as that is who is permitted inside of the buildings aside from employees who work there.  All they have to do is request the service, and a car or van can be sent to pick them up, so why would they want the Q46 coming into the complex?  Given the fact that it's a gated/private community, they have every right to decide what they want and don't want coming in there.  That's what they're paying for...  

I don't know, but that post kinda came off as somehow who doesn't really like the express bus, just my two cents.

I mean, North Shore is essentially a country club, with the towers nearby. What more do we have to say.

That's okay in my book. I can just imagine how much worse bunching would get if the Q46 went to NST. 

Either way it doesn't make any sense....

Have you seen his comments in any express bus discussion before? That would be self explanatory. Seems more guided towards the local bus/ subway.

That's okay in my book. I can just imagine how much worse bunching would get if the Q46 went to NST. 

And the fact that no one would use it, on top of that.

Archived