Converted bus route could help struggling commuters in Rosedale

GojiMet86

Of course there are crap areas in the suburbs. That just proves my point that you should drop the whole Bevery Hills crappola. The problem I have with people like her is they move to areas that are known to have poor transportation and then complain as if she's suffering from some form of shock... If your living expenses are low (i.e. rent or mortgage), you must consider your transportation costs if you truly want a decent commute and have quicker options. Just the way it is. She lives in an isolated part of Queens with no subway service, and that isn't changing.

Well she's been living there for years apparently, so it isn't as if she just found out about the LIRR or express bus.

So since there are not so good areas, why do you insist in making everyone go to the LIRR or the express bus. I would encourage people to use the express bus, but you're taking it on a whole 'nother level. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The LIRR service is shit, not to mention that you would still need to use the subway.

The X63 service is more costly than the Q111.

That doesn't stop the efforts to have better transportation, even if it's by a little bit. Why do you think Rosedale has local bus service 24/7 and 7-9 minute headways during the rush hour. Do you have something against the local bus to subway connection (well, it is Jamaica , so no wonder he wouldn't mention the local bus to the subway). We don't mind that you use the express bus, but to "defame" the local bus (especially as to get a car, which is the last thing we should be encouraging in the city), that's just your own personal bias.

Well it's as good as she is going to get. All of this shows that for someone who needs public transportation, they should move to an area with subway service. That's like me living in Staten Island and complaining about subway service. Foolish to say the least.

I don't have anything against the local bus to subway connection, other than the fact that it's slow, as she has clearly pointed out, but again she has options. If I lived that far out, I would certainly have a car. That's why I live where I do now. It's isolated but the premium transportation services here are good. Express buses run good as does Metro-North and I can walk anywhere I need to be in the immediate area. I don't think of Rosedale as being "walkable".

Well then guess what? They need a friggin' car. I mean seriously they live in an isolated area and therefore can't expect to have great transportation. I live in a very isolated area and commuting is really only convenient to Manhattan. If I need to go to the Bronx by public transportation, I have to go into Manhattan, then into the Bronx. Just the way it is...

But why can't people expect improvement in transportation in the most transportation oriented City and country?  Im not understanding? At some point none of Queens had adequate transportation. They invested in it. Just the way it is.? They had to build to make it the way it is now? are we done investing?

But why can't people expect improvement in transportation in the most transportation oriented City and country?  Im not understanding? At some point none of Queens had adequate transportation. They invested in it. Just the way it is.? They had to build to make it the way it is now? are we done investing?

(In bold), I wouldn't be so sure about there. Sure, you have many cities which are transit oriented, especially in California and East Coast, but I would question it being the most transit oriented country. I think that would go to some European country.

Well it's as good as she is going to get. All of this shows that for someone who needs public transportation, they should move to an area with subway service. That's like me living in Staten Island and complaining about subway service. Foolish to say the least.

I don't have anything against the local bus to subway connection, other than the fact that it's slow, as she has clearly pointed out, but again she has options. If I lived that far out, I would certainly have a car. That's why I live where I do now. It's isolated but the premium transportation services here are good. Express buses run good as does Metro-North and I can walk anywhere I need to be in the immediate area. I don't think of Rosedale as being "walkable".

A limited stop would be an improvement, especially since the 113 LTD completely skips Rosedale (although it used to operate in Rosedale). Sometimes moving isn't a feasible option. Besides, I'm pretty sure that making the 111 the local would be enough, while making the 113 LTD. Makes both sides happy, no extra resources needed (and possibly some money saved with the reduced runtime).

Yet you come here, express bus, LIRR, car. Why won't you allow the residents get an improvement in service. Not all areas are as affluent or as elitist as the grand City of Riverdaleian Empire,where everything is lavish and rich.

Also, you forget that people take the crushloaded n6 to the (F) Train. Do you want them to move into the city as well?

If only the down vote still existed..

I live in an "Isolated" area. I own a car but use the BUS and SUBWAY to commute to work and to make non-commuting trips to CBD's or places with limited parking. I'd prefer to keep my commuting costs flat at $112 a month. The closest Express bus is the X68, how do I get there? Drive and waste time looking for parking or by using the same BUS that takes me to the SUBWAY. Then after getting to Manhattan I'd still have to use the subway. NO

Or, I can use a few "nearby" LIRR Stations, In the time it would take to drive to a station find parking and wait for the train I would most likely already be at the SUBWAY via BUS. Many stations you need to PAY for a PARKING and be a RESIDENT.

Asking for improved bus service is not too much to ask for. Stop the elitist nonsense. The MTA was supposed to extend the subway beyond Jamaica and they have yet to do so. Did you forget why the MTA was created?

Exactly, he doesn't understand that people in Southeast Queens are just important as the citizens of his "utopia". Imagine if he became the Nassau County Executive. 

"f**k NICE Bus, everyone has to use mid-island taxi to the LIRR", lol.

By that point, Nassau's economy would have dwindled from the "richest" county (bunch of snobs) to the most in debt. Possibly even bankrupt (lol).

Well then guess what? They need a friggin' car. I mean seriously they live in an isolated area and therefore can't expect to have great transportation. I live in a very isolated area and commuting is really only convenient to Manhattan. If I need to go to the Bronx by public transportation, I have to go into Manhattan, then into the Bronx. Just the way it is...

I live in an "Isolated" area. I own a car but use the BUS and SUBWAY to commute to work and to make non-commuting trips to CBD's or places with limited parking. I'd prefer to keep my commuting costs flat at $112 a month. The closest Express bus is the X68, how do I get there? Drive and waste time looking for parking or by using the same BUS that takes me to the SUBWAY. Then after getting to Manhattan I'd still have to use the subway. NO.

Or, I can use a few "nearby" LIRR Stations, In the time it would take to drive to a station find parking and wait for the train I would most likely already be at the SUBWAY via BUS. Many stations you need to PAY for a PARKING PERMIT and be a RESIDENT. And I'd STILL have to use the Subway. NO.

Asking for improved bus service is not too much to ask for. Stop the elitist nonsense. The MTA was supposed to extend the subway beyond Jamaica and they have yet to do so. Did you forget why the MTA was created?

I live in an "Isolated" area. I own a car but use the BUS and SUBWAY to commute to work and to make non-commuting trips to CBD's or places with limited parking. I'd prefer to keep my commuting costs flat at $112 a month. The closest Express bus is the X68, how do I get there? Drive and waste time looking for parking or by using the same BUS that takes me to the SUBWAY. Then after getting to Manhattan I'd still have to use the subway. NO

Or, I can use a few "nearby" LIRR Stations, In the time it would take to drive to a station find parking and wait for the train I would most likely already be at the SUBWAY via BUS. Many stations you need to PAY for a PARKING and be a RESIDENT.

Well like I said, if you don't want to spend more money for a faster commute, then it is what it is. It's not like the local buses are going to get wings and somehow bypass all of the traffic to get you to the subway in 10 minutes. Let's be real here. I've traveled to the far eastern parts of Queens and the bus to the subway... There is NO quick way around it, so stop acting as if local bus service would make such a HUGE difference in your commute time.

@BM5... This has nothing to do with being elitist and everything to do with being realistic. Local bus service across the city is slow, and even if the line gets SBS service it won't be that much faster than the current local bus service, especially if it isn't reliable.

(In bold), I wouldn't be so sure about there. Sure, you have many cities which are transit oriented, especially in California and East Coast, but I would question it being the most transit oriented country. I think that would go to some European country.

A limited stop would be an improvement, especially since the 113 LTD completely skips Rosedale (although it used to operate in Rosedale). Sometimes moving isn't a feasible option. Besides, I'm pretty sure that making the 111 the local would be enough, while making the 113 LTD. Makes both sides happy, no extra resources needed (and possibly some money saved with the reduced runtime).

Yet you come here, express bus, LIRR, car. Why won't you allow the residents get an improvement in service. Not all areas are as affluent or as elitist as the grand City of Riverdaleian Empire.

Sure, she can ask for improved bus service, but as I said before, does she really expect to shave more than 10 - 15 minutes off of her commute? As I said before, if she really wants to save time, she'll invest in the LIRR. She is not going to save that much time taking the local bus to the subway. Just the way it is.

Yet you come here, express bus, LIRR, car. Why won't you allow the residents get an improvement in service. Not all areas are as affluent or as elitist as the grand City of Riverdaleian Empire.

California is now investing in transportation. Ive lived throughout California for many years building and expand were the cars are that's the grand plan out west ..Let's be honestly NYC was build and expanded by transportation itself very unique situation. Boston and Chicago maybe had a similar phenomenon on a smaller-scale. the point being we owe it to future generations to make investments in transportation and infrastructure. as far as Country New York is the most transit oriented city in the country. Wasn't comparing it to Asia or Europe were light years behind.

1. Well like I said, if you don't want to spend more money for a faster commute, then it is what it is. It's not like the local buses are going to get wings and somehow bypass all of the traffic to get you to the subway in 10 minutes. Let's be real here. I've traveled to the far eastern parts of Queens and the bus to the subway... There is NO quick way around it, so stop acting as if local bus service would make such a HUGE difference in your commute time.

@BM5... This has nothing to do with being elitist and everything to do with being realistic. Local bus service across the city is slow, and even if the line gets SBS service it won't be that much faster than the current local bus service, especially if it isn't reliable.

Sure, she can ask for improved bus service, but as I said before, does she really expect to shave more than 10 - 15 minutes off of her commute? As I said before, if she really wants to save time, she'll invest in the LIRR. She is not going to save that much time taking the local bus to the subway. Just the way it is.

1. However, the local bus does make a huge difference. These limited stop services weren't started for nothing.

2.Yeah, because the run time would indeed shave off 10 minutes because all the intermediate stops also have riders (and a bunch).

And for it not elitist, it sure does have a very big vibe to it.

Well like I said, if you don't want to spend more money for a faster commute, then it is what it is. It's not like the local buses are going to get wings and somehow bypass all of the traffic to get you to the subway in 10 minutes. Let's be real here. I've traveled to the far eastern parts of Queens and the bus to the subway... There is NO quick way around it, so stop acting as if local bus service would make such a HUGE difference in your commute time.

In my case I wouldn't actually save time, I'd just spend more money for the hell of it, not a good idea.

As for the LIRR, it doesn't always save time if the trains are hourly or so, while the bus is every 10 mins.

California is now investing in transportation. Ive lived throughout California for many years building and expand were the cars are that's the grand plan out west ..Let's be honestly NYC was build and expanded by transportation itself very unique situation. Boston and Chicago maybe had a similar phenomenon on a smaller-scale. the point being we owe it to future generations to make investments in transportation and infrastructure. as far as Country New York is the most transit oriented city in the country. Wasn't comparing it to Asia or Europe were light years behind.

1. However, the local bus does make a huge difference. These limited stop services weren't started for nothing.

2.Yeah, because the run time would indeed shave off 10 minutes because all the intermediate stops also have riders (and a bunch).

Let me state this again since the two of you seem to have reading problems. Her commute time is currently about two hours each way. Okay, give her the improved local bus service, where she saves maybe 10 - 15 minutes each way. Her commute time is now 3 1/2 hours versus 4 hours. The impression that I get from this lady is that she's expecting the (MTA) to come in and slash her commute by half, which I don't see happening no matter how much local bus service improves down there, and the subway is not going to be expanded any time soon, so the two of you need to stop yelling and come to reality because what I'm saying is that she can yell for all of the improvements that she wants but the reality is that she'll be lucky if she saves 10 - 15 minutes each way.

In my case I wouldn't actually save time, I'd just spend more money for the hell of it, not a good idea.

As for the LIRR, it doesn't always save time if the trains are hourly or so, while the bus is every 10 mins.

Okay, so what do what the (MTA) to do? My whole issue is the complaining about the bus service as if you're going to save SO much time. How much time do you realistically believe you would save with improved bus service? That's my question for you.

And for it not elitist, it sure does have a very big vibe to it.

Limited Stop service and SBS service for that matter only save a significant amount of time for most folks when they go from end to end, otherwise, it's been shown that neither service is that much faster than local bus service.

Sure, there are a couple of LIRR stops in Rosedale and the X63, but can that really be called comprehensive transit? 147 Av (Where the Q111 and Q113 run) is almost a mile from the LIRR, actually exceeding a mile in some places depending on where you live. It also only serves the Eastern part of Rosedale. People living west of Brookville Park also aren't near the X63 and would presumably have to drive or take the 111/113 up to transfer to the QM21 or X63 at Rochdale or Linden Blvd, and if one is doing that, I'd imagine it'd just be easier to continue up to Jamaica Center. Also, while not much in the grand scheme of things, commuters probably derive a lot from 10-15 mins off their commute. 

I'm guessing this Q114 route will be a rush hour/weekday LTD counterpart to the Q111.  

15 minutes shaved off even a two way commute is 75 minutes a work week. 75 minutes of lost productivity or quality time. What the value of that time equals is another question I'm sure is equal or is of more value shifting a few Buses around.

Let me state this again since the two of you seem to have reading problems. Her commute time is currently about two hours each way. Okay, give her the improved local bus service, where she saves maybe 10 - 15 minutes each way. Her commute time is now 3 1/2 hours versus 4 hours. The impression that I get from this lady is that she's expecting the (MTA) to come in and slash her commute by half, which I don't see happening no matter how much local bus service improves down there, and the subway is not going to be expanded any time soon, so the two of you need to stop yelling and come to reality because what I'm saying is that she can yell for all of the improvements that she wants but the reality is that she'll be lucky if she saves 10 - 15 minutes each way.

For all we know, she works in the Bronx, perhaps a quicker ride to Jamaica and a SBS Q44 would cut her commute in half.

15 minutes shaved off even a two way commute is 75 minutes a work week. 75 minutes of lost productivity or quality time. What the value of that time equals is another question I'm sure is equal or is of more value shifting a few Buses around.

Right, There are times the (F) is delayed and I miss the bus by a few mins and have to wait 10-30 for the next one. Shorter rider allows for a possible transfer to an earlier bus and train, which allows for another "earlier" transfer down the line. She could actually save more time than just the one route with decreased running times.

I am in reality. Even if it's a small improvement, it still cuts off a substantial portion of her commute. My "yelling" towards you is for the fact that you do not acknowledge the local bus. How the hell do you go from LIRR, to express, to get a car. You aren't even thinking of the reduced commuting time, even if it's by a 20-30 minutes. You really need to ride the Q111 one day, then tell me that things will not improve. You literally have the 113 local there, that could become a LTD, and reduce the times, because instead of making 60+ stops, you;d be making only about 12.

Sure, there are a couple of LIRR stops in Rosedale and the X63, but can that really be called comprehensive transit? 147 Av (Where the Q111 and Q113 run) is almost a mile from the LIRR, actually exceeding a mile in some places depending on where you live. It also only serves the Eastern part of Rosedale. People living west of Brookville Park also aren't near the X63 and would presumably have to drive or take the 111/113 up to transfer to the QM21 or X63 at Rochdale or Linden Blvd, and if one is doing that, I'd imagine it'd just be easier to continue up to Jamaica Center. Also, while not much in the grand scheme of things, commuters probably derive a lot from 10-15 mins off their commute. 

I'm guessing this Q114 route will be a rush hour/weekday LTD counterpart to the Q111.

Well if she's happy saving 10 - 15 minutes, more power to her, but this complaining about the commute down there... Listen you're on the border by Nassau county... It is what it is... In short any local bus to subway set up is going to be LONG, no matter how you cut it unless there is some super express subway service from Jamaica, which isn't anywhere in the works. The people complaining, you should expect a 90 minute commute unless you're willing to drive, take the express bus or LIRR (if you're going to the city). Simple as that.

One word: no.

He forgets that this is southeast Queens, anything would be improvement, because every single local bus route does not have a limited counterpart, or doesnt start until further down the road (like the 85), which would not have any real time savings.

For all we know, she works in the Bronx, perhaps a quicker ride to Jamaica and a SBS Q44 would cut her commute in half.

And if the she does work in the Bronx, then complaining about a 2 hour commute would be ridiculous. Of course it would be a long commute! I have a 90 minute commute from Riverdale to Sheepshead Bay via the express bus, but that's going from the border of Westchester almost to the end of South Brooklyn.

One word: no.

He forgets that this is southeast Queens, anything would be improvement, because every single local bus route does not have a limited counterpart, or doesnt start until further down the road (like the 85), which would not have any real time savings.

Well sorry but they don't use the services that they have. They don't use the X63 and the LIRR so that leaves them with poor local bus service to the subway. Sure increase their frequencies or whatever, but the point is for people commuting to the city, they have those other faster options. The idea that somehow they're supposed to have this FANTASTIC service is ridiculous. They're living damn there in Long Island. They want a suburban style of living, but want bus service every 5 minutes. Give me a break. Transportation service in the suburbs or suburban like areas has always been crap... Nothing new there...

Not sure if my reading points are off. I understand where you're coming from your saying it's just 10-15 mins saved. I can dig that it's not a quantum teleportation device it's not going cut half the commute time. Who's to say that's her expectation? Alot of the time it's give and take im sure if the residents of Rosedale saw the MTA make an attempt at improvement service it'd be sufficient, a start.  20-30 Mins saved to a commuter could be a big thing not like i haven't seen people damn near break there necks to jump on a express train that may save them 7 mins tops but it's there time. SBS services 10-15% savings on avg but it's my time its relative and it adds up in the big picture.  it's nothing wrong with shaving a little time off and tweaking a little here and there that how we get to overall goal ,as long as the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit. That remains to be seen

Not sure if my reading points are off. I understand where you're coming from your saying it's just 10-15 mins saved. I can dig that it's not a quantum teleportation device it's not going cut half the commute time. Who's to say that's her expectation? Alot of the time it's give and take im sure if the residents of Rosedale saw the MTA make an attempt at improvement service it'd be sufficient, a start.  20-30 Mins saved to a commuter could be a big thing not like i haven't seen people damn near break there necks to jump on a express train that may save them 7 mins tops but it's there time. SBS services 10-15% savings on avg but it's my time its relative and it adds up in the big picture.  it's nothing wrong with shaving a little time off and tweaking a little here and there that how we get to overall goal ,as long as the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit. That remains to be seen

Well like I said, if it's 10-15 minutes okay fine, but for someone who used to have a 1.5 - 2 hour commute each way, 10 - 15 minutes wasn't that big of a deal especially since it wasn't a consistent time savings. In my mind I don't think she should expect anything more than that, and if that still isn't good enough, well then she should reconsider her living situation.

Well sorry but they don't use the services that they have. They don't use the X63 and the LIRR so that leaves them with poor local bus service to the subway. Sure increase their frequencies or whatever, but the point is for people commuting to the city, they have those other faster options. The idea that somehow they're supposed to have this FANTASTIC service is ridiculous. They're living damn there in Long Island. They want a suburban style of living, but want bus service every 5 minutes. Give me a break. Transportation service in the suburbs or suburban like areas has always been crap... Nothing new there...

What do you mean they don't use it. If they didn't, you wouldn't have the amount of Q85's nor Q111's as they have right now. Rosedale has late night service on the Q111. You're underestimating local bus usage. This is Queens, not NICE Garbage territory, so they are entitled to have improvements, if they are warranted. Those the X63's are used, the LIRR is what not many people, which is self-explanatory (but for people like you, it's not).

What do you mean they don't use it. If they didn't, you wouldn't have the amount of Q85's nor Q111's as they have right now. Rosedale has late night service on the Q111. You're underestimating local bus usage. This is Queens, not NICE Garbage territory, so they are entitled to have improvements, if they are warranted. Those the X63's are used, the LIRR is what not many people, which is self-explanatory (but for people like you, it's not).

I'm not talking about local bus service. We're talking about the number of options available to them excluding local bus service. They have the LIRR and the X63 and they aren't that well used. We can pull up the stats if you'd like... Ridership has decreased every single year on the X63 from 2008 to 2013... So much for them using it.

Well if she's happy saving 10 - 15 minutes, more power to her, but this complaining about the commute down there... Listen you're on the border by Nassau county... It is what it is... In short any local bus to subway set up is going to be LONG, no matter how you cut it unless there is so super express subway service from Jamaica, which isn't anywhere in the works.

There are some that use the N4 as the "express" bus to/from Hook Creek, it may help those by Hook Creek & Merrick, but not those further south by the Q111/147th ave/ 243rd street/Francis Lewis Blvd.

Hmm, a solution may be as simple as extending the Q5 from the Rosedale LIRR station down Francis Lewis Blvd or 243rd St. Or extending the Q111 to Hook Creek and Merrick so they can easily access the N4.

I'm not talking about local bus service. We're talking about the number of options available to them excluding local bus service. They have the LIRR and the X63 and they aren't that well used. We can pull up the stats if you'd like... Ridership has decreased every single year on the X63 from 2008 to 2013... So much for them using it.

Well lets look into why:

First lets look at the Queens bus map and see the routing of the X63: http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

Then, lets take a look at the schedule: lets keep in mind that people use the Q111 and Q85 24/7: http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x063cur.pdf

Then lets take a look at LIRR service to the Rosedale Station. http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Station/FarRockawayFR1.pdf

Lets also keep in mind that they have to get to/from the LIRR station somehow.

And lets review the costs:

The fare for a subway or local bus ride is $2.50*. The fare for an express bus ride is $6.

(Unlimited Card $112)

7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard

Cost: $55, no reduced fare  (about $220 a month)

Good for unlimited express bus, local bus, and subway rides until midnight, 7 days from first use. This card is protected against loss or theft when purchased at a vending machine with a credit or debit/ATM card

Zone 3 to 1, and zone 3 to 3

LIRR

ZONE 3                                   TO ZONE 1 TO ZONE3 
Monthly                                      $210.00  $134.00 
Weekly                                         67.25         41.50   
Peak Ten-Trip                              95.00         n/a     
Off-Peak Ten-Trip                        59.50         n/a     
Peak One-Way                             9.50          5.00    
Off-Peak One-Way                       7.00          3.75    
Sr.Ct/Disabled/M'care One-Way   4.75          2.50    
Onboard Peak One-Way              16.00         11.00   
Onboard Off-Peak One-Way         13.00         10.00   

I'm not talking about local bus service. We're talking about the number of options available to them excluding local bus service. They have the LIRR and the X63 and they aren't that well used. We can pull up the stats if you'd like...

Sure (you don't have to convince me about the LIRR), go ahead.

There are some that use the N4 as the "express" bus to/from Hook Creek, it may help those by Hook Creek & Merrick, but not those further south by the Q111/147th ave/ 243rd street/Francis Lewis Blvd.

Hmm, a solution may be as simple as extending the Q5 from the Rosedale LIRR station down Francis Lewis Blvd or 243rd St. Or extending the Q111 to Hook Creek and Merrick so they can easily access the N4.

So my question is how much time are YOU looking to save with a local bus to subway set up? I want to see if your expectations are realistic or not.

Sure (you don't have to convince me about the LIRR), go ahead.

LOL...

That's the situation for a good portion of the Queens Express Bus Network right now.

Archived