Converted bus route could help struggling commuters in Rosedale

GojiMet86

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I want to know, as if there are so many places in employment in Queens vs Manhattan... lol

Most of the employment in Queens is the airport, hospitals, and schools, but the Queens Blvd corridor, Queens College, and Flushing are all places that are significantly easier to access by the bus and subway. The jobs in Queens are a lot more spread out, and they're certainly not along any LIRR corridors.

A big chunk of Queens ridership is kids, so those will be heading to schools and major retail centers rather than looking to get to Midtown for the 9 to 5.

And if the she does work in the Bronx, then complaining about a 2 hour commute would be ridiculous. Of course it would be a long commute! I have a 90 minute commute from Riverdale to Sheepshead Bay via the express bus, but that's going from the border of Westchester almost to the end of South Brooklyn.

Well sorry but they don't use the services that they have. They don't use the X63 and the LIRR so that leaves them with poor local bus service to the subway. Sure increase their frequencies or whatever, but the point is for people commuting to the city, they have those other faster options. The idea that somehow they're supposed to have this FANTASTIC service is ridiculous. They're living damn there in Long Island. They want a suburban style of living, but want bus service every 5 minutes. Give me a break. Transportation service in the suburbs or suburban like areas has always been crap... Nothing new there...

The LIRR could definitely attract more ridership, but the current pricing regime and scheduling is tilted to make that as unattractive as possible because they don't want city people on their trains. In fact, the 1968 plan for subway service had the (E) going down the LIRR branch to Rosedale, so it's not as if the area itself is not dense enough to demand better bus service.

However, Queens is not super-focused on travel to Manhattan in the way that Rosedale is, so expanding express bus service wouldn't be very helpful. However, there is significant unmet demand for more bus service, since SE Queens is one of the only two places in the city where bus service is directly supplemented with dollar van service.

Blame the recession for that, not because people didn't opt for it.

Well whatever the reason, they aren't using it that well, so it has been cut back.

Most of the employment in Queens is the airport, hospitals, and schools, but the Queens Blvd corridor, Queens College, and Flushing are all places that are significantly easier to access by the bus and subway. The jobs in Queens are a lot more spread out, and they're certainly not along any LIRR corridors.

A big chunk of Queens ridership is kids, so those will be heading to schools and major retail centers rather than looking to get to Midtown for the 9 to 5.

Every borough has employment, but if anyone wants to make any real money, they usually work in the city. That's my point.

The LIRR could definitely attract more ridership, but the current pricing regime and scheduling is tilted to make that as unattractive as possible because they don't want city people on their trains. In fact, the 1968 plan for subway service had the (E) going down the LIRR branch to Rosedale, so it's not as if the area itself is not dense enough to demand better bus service.

However, Queens is not super-focused on travel to Manhattan in the way that Rosedale is, so expanding express bus service wouldn't be very helpful. However, there is significant unmet demand for more bus service, since SE Queens is one of the only two places in the city where bus service is directly supplemented with dollar van service.

Good points but those in Long beach and Hewlett and areas on Far rockaway and LB LIRR do not use their trains enough to exclude SE queens riders or warrant having trains for them alone it makes zero sense financially. The gauling part is the Far rockaway line it ends in an area served by subway service that line has no business charging a premium fare.

Well whatever the reason, they aren't using it that well, so it has been cut back.

Every borough has employment, but if anyone wants to make any real money, they usually work in the city. That's my point.

I believe that it's because the express buses in Rosedale and Southeast Queens have to compete with the local buses and dollar vans for customers. Most of the time, the bus or the dollar van is usually the first to get the customer while the express bus gets the one or two people left at the stop.

Here is an instafix cut LIRR fares to Rosedale and other eastern queens destinations then upgrade frequency to those seen on the Far rockaway (A) alone make Q85 pure LTD on merrick and then extend Rosedale trips via Q113 local route done.

Actually there is a plan in the works to make city ticket 24/7: http://www.move-ny.org/

A specific mention of that is on this page: http://www.move-ny.org/pages/filling-transit-gaps

The local is every 7-9 minutes . The express is every 12 to 15 minutes . The LIRR is every 20-60 minutes . It's self explanatory why each has their own ridership. I'd be inclined to say that ridership is a bit more on the Q111 than the X63 during rush hours, but not much. The X63 can get the ridership though, from all the areas it serves. 

When you're that far out, you're practically on Long Island... Don't move that far out if you can't afford premium service and then complain about local bus and subway service...

The areas closest to Mantthan are getting eaten up by genfication, in terms of NYC, the more further out you are the more affordable the area is most times.

The areas closest to Mantthan are getting eaten up by genfication, in terms of NYC, the more further out you are the more affordable the area is most times.

Yeah well you can't have it all. If you want cheaper rent, then you suffer with transportation. The area is cheaper for a number of reasons...

I believe that it's because the express buses in Rosedale and Southeast Queens have to compete with the local buses and dollar vans for customers. Most of the time, the bus or the dollar van is usually the first to get the customer while the express bus gets the one or two people left at the stop.

Bingo and that explains x63's situation. Sort of.

If they live by Rosedale-Nassau County city line, they could use X63, Q5, Q85, n4/n4X buses, etc.

Q113 LTD is fine as it is when I rode from Central/Mott Avs to Jamaica Center, it only took 30 minutes.

Q113 LTD sadly is woefully infrequent.

The back & forth pandering and the lack of neighborhood knowledge is becoming really annoying....

The queation is will q114 going to make stops in the five towns between rosdale and cederhurst?

I kinda doubt it, but we shall wait and see. I kinda see this more as a Q111 supplement.

To what places in queens? Now I am curious.

That's what I want to know, as if there are so many places in employment in Queens vs Manhattan... lol

Oh I don't know...how about..

JFK Airport and the facilities surrounding it.
Hospitals in various parts of Queens, more notably Jamaica Hospital, Queens Hospital Center and so on.
Schools, colleges and educational centers in various parts of Queens. Good examples are York, QCC and St. Johns.

Simply put, not every Rosedale resident travels to Manhattan. I don't know why a few of you have this clouded view of that...

And before either one of you go "that's all?" I'm using those three as examples. There are other places Rosedale residents go by public transportation within Queens, even as far as Long Island City. But I'm not gonna be like those who speak for an entire community...

The back & forth pandering and the lack of neighborhood knowledge is becoming really annoying....

I kinda doubt it, but we shall wait and see. I kinda see this more as a Q111 supplement.

Hospitals in various parts of Queens, more notably Jamaica Hospital, Queens Hospital Center and so on.

Schools, colleges and educational centers in various parts of Queens. Good examples are York, QCC and St. Johns.

Simply put, not every Rosedale resident travels to Manhattan. I don't know why a few of you have this clouded view of that...

And before either one of you go "that's all?" I'm using those three as examples. There are other places Rosedale residents go by public transportation within Queens, even as far as Long Island City. But I'm not gonna be like those who speak for an entire community...

Very interesting based on your knowledge how reliable is the Q10 LTD? What stops within JFK get used the most on it? Is the Q37 reliable?

Very interesting based on your knowledge how reliable is the Q10 LTD? What stops within JFK get used the most on it? Is the Q37 reliable?

This topic has nothing to do with either one of those routes.

Where did the Q10 and Q37 come from? This topic is for Q111, Q113, and Q114.

Also, let me get this straight, is this a limited stop version of the Q111? Or does it serve 147th and Brookville, then go to Far Rockaway?

To me, it seems like it's renaming the current Q113 Local and making it a Limited ion Guy R Brewer and 147th Avenue, like it's counterpart. That's what I got out of it.

To me this Q114 seems like duplicate waiting to be cut in the future. The Q111/Q113 combined run on a 2-4 minute headways during rush hours so I see how Rosedale and Guy Brewer need anymore service. And the Q113 basically serves all the same stops as the Q111 except for the last 5, 6 stops that the Q111 has by itself. But we shall see I feel like this will turn into another Woodhaven blvd where service can be added instead of having an entire new route.

Bus riders currently use the Q111 and the Q113, which has a local and a limited-stop line from Guy R. Brewer Blvd. into Far Rockaway.

The new Q114 route would replace the Q113 local with fewer stops between Jamaica and Rosedale to help hasten the trip.

How do they plan on replacing a local form of a route that already has a LTD counterpart, with another LTD service.....

That's like getting rid of the B41 local for a "B104" that does the B103 route b/w downtown & the junction, but runs down to kings plaza instead..... That would obviously screw B41 riders that utilize non-LTD (intermediate) stops.....

What exactly would this 114 mean for Inwood & Lawrence riders of the current 113 local? The same amount of stops or what.......

The better question is, who's service are they gonna cut into, to create this route....... 113 LTD riders' service? 111 riders service?

If w/e Rosedale riders think they're getting some sort of Q5S express, super LTD, direct route, however you wanna dub it, to Jamaica, they can forget it.....

Archived