The Big Apple Welcomes Tropical Storm Hanna

Sea Beach

Thats right!! The Big Apple is gonna get slammed with Tropical Storm Hanna Friday night into Sat afternoon. It will not hit as a hurricane,so no worries about evacuations. NYC will experience 60-75 Mph wind gusts,with 5-7 Inches of rain!! The last time NYC was hit by a tropical Storm or a hurricane was back in the 1940's!! That was a hurricane called The Long Island Express. Tropical Storm warnings and watches have been posted on the New Jersey coast line. NYC is due to get one of these advisories!!

I think u mean Saturday PM through Sunday as Weather Channel says

but thz for alert

Actually,they just changed it. Now it says On and off rain,fri night into early sat am,then comes in the inner part of the storm late sat am-sat pm. All the trains and busses are gonna be screwed up late sat am-sat pm,this means a whole bunch of signal probs and re-routes! As for the buses,well there gonna get into alot of street flodding,so there will probally be re-routes for the buses to! I wonder if the MTA has storm plans for storms like these.

Actually,they just changed it. Now it says On and off rain,fri night into early sat am,then comes in the inner part of the storm late sat am-sat pm. All the trains and busses are gonna be screwed up late sat am-sat pm,this means a whole bunch of signal probs and re-routes! As for the buses,well there gonna get into alot of street flodding,so there will probally be re-routes for the buses to! I wonder if the MTA has storm plans for storms like these.

Indeed they do, however subway drainage with all that trash floating around that's been tossed about over the summer might be an issue even with the attempts at cleaning they've made. In any event be prepared to do some walking and some subway station rain. :P

As for busses, i am unsure.

The main problem here will be wind plus rain. One by itself can be dealt with. Expect downed branches on tracks if it stays strong as it moves north. This means LIRR, MNRR, bus, AND subway problems, not to mention PATH and (NJT). Wait & see.

- A

I thought Hurricane Bob passed thru here back in the 90's? :confused:

I just did some research,and I got some suprising info. The last Hurricane that hit NYC,was on October 31st,1991,The Halloween Hurricane (AKA: The Perfect Storm)!! It was never given a name. The name would've been Hurricane Henri. and the last tropical storm to hit NYC,was just last year!! Tropical Storm Barry on June 5th 2007. But,Long Island has been hit with alot of hurricanes and tropical storms in the past years,not effecting NYC. There has been at least 1hurricane and tropical storm hitting Long Island every year since 1999. Before that,they were getting hit every other year. NYC rareley gets hurricanes and tropical storms

Ah, great, just what the subway needs, a lot of rain. I suppose I should tell you I just received an email from the MTA stating:

To our customers:

Adverse weather conditions, including heavy rain, are forecasted for this weekend and could impact subway service. We have already begun preparations to safeguard the system from flooding. This includes the cleaning of subway drains, checking all subway pumps and pre-positioning personnel and equipment at flood prone locations. We may also move trains from their storage yards and store them underground instead.

In the event that weather does impact subway service, we will notify the media and post updates on our website. Please listen to local radio reports and check our website Please check http://www.mta.info for current 'Service Alert' information. Click on the flashing service alert triangle.

So at least we have some small hope things might not flood too badly.

Yeah woo hoo!!! Strom tomorrow could make some interesting things happen in the subway... Imagne if some R62/A's and R142/A's get water damage like those R32/46's did last year causing a car shortage bringing a "certain" repainted train sitting in a yard in queens back into service.....:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Store them underground?!?!?!?!?!? Where? What lines? What yards? Who what when where why how huh? :rolleyes:

What do they mean by storing them underground? This can't apply for LIRR, because all of their yards are open to the sky, and they don't have the space in tunnels. MNRR could do this to an extent at GCT. What about the subway? Where would they put them? Local only service, use express tracks to park trains? If someone could clear this up, that would be fantastic.

The storm clouds have overcast my area all ready. I am just glad this thing isn't coming in during peak evening hours on a friday (especially if i was trying to come home)! :eek::eek:

- A

Yeah woo hoo!!! Strom tomorrow could make some interesting things happen in the subway... Imagne if some R62/A's and R142/A's get water damage like those R32/46's did last year causing a car shortage bringing a "certain" repainted train sitting in a yard in queens back into service.....:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The day that happens, there will be a flood of a different sort... :eek:

Store them underground?!?!?!?!?!? Where? What lines? What yards? Who what when where why how huh? :rolleyes:

What do they mean by storing them underground? This can't apply for LIRR, because all of their yards are open to the sky, and they don't have the space in tunnels. MNRR could do this to an extent at GCT. What about the subway? Where would they put them? Local only service, use express tracks to park trains? If someone could clear this up, that would be fantastic.

The storm clouds have overcast my area all ready. I am just glad this thing isn't coming in during peak evening hours on a friday (especially if i was trying to come home)! :eek::eek:

- A

(1)(2)(3)(4)<5><6>(A)(:D©(D)(E)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R) those lines i just mentioned will most likely get their equipment stored underground, on the express tracks in mantthan and brooklyn and queens.

I wish I can go RF tomorrow,but its gonna be really bad to walk!! I'll get drenched and blown away!! :eek: The winds are supposed to be 60-75 Mph or even higher,with 6-9 Inches of rain!! Imagine the West End,Sea Beach,Culver and Brighton tomorrow!!!!:eek::eek::eek: Hanna=Re-Routes :rolleyes:

Here it is,the latest Hanna service advisory:

Posted on:9/6/2008 5:09:05 PM

Due to a smoke condition at the Queens Plaza Station:

There is no service on the Jamaica-bound (E) trains between the Port Authority-42nd Street Station and the Jamaica Center-Parsons Archer Station.

There is no service on the Jamaica-bound (F) trains between the 34th Street-Herald Square Station and the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue Station.

As an alternative, customers are advised to take (7) or (R) trains making nearby station stops.

Please expect delays in servive on (E) and (F) trains at this time.

Archived