New hybrid buses roll out on staten island

trainfan22

ORIONVIING.jpg

New York City Transit is adding 850 sleek new hybrid-electric local buses to its fleet, with 159 coming to Staten Island's depots. And this borough is first in line to get them, with the first 15 of the order already here at the Castleton Depot in West Brighton.

MTA brass, Amalgamated Transit Union officials and politicians were there to show off the brand new buses today.

Using regenerative braking technology to generate electricity to power the batteries, the buses can save 50,000 gallons of fuel over their average 12-year life span, compared to a normal bus.

The buses also use more efficient LED bulbs instead of regular light bulbs.

The new buses, Orion VII Next Generation Hybrid-Electrics, are set lower off the ground, to eliminate the step up to board. They also feature wheelchair ramp that flips out at the touch of a button, making it a lot easier for disabled riders to get around.

"This is the most fuel-efficient bus you can buy right now," said Joseph Smith, New York City Transit's Senior Vice President for Buses. "This is a great thing for Staten Island."

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/new_hybrid_buses_rolled_out_on.html

You know man... the Pure BS!!!!!!!

Staten Island gets New Buses after they took whatever good buses we had left in the Bx. I'm mainly talking about KB.... KB have the worse buses in the whole City and SI gets new buses. We probably will get more of there garbage up here!!!!!

The reason is cause The Bronx had new buses to begin with, the artics and the CNGs. Staten Island was the only borough without any new buses. So now its their turn to get share of new buses.

I say this time and time again. WF runs 12 out of 42 routes served by BX depots. On top of that the Artics unless theres a problem (like today I had 5275 on the Bx3) are confined all times to the BX1,2,9,12,12SBS,19,22,39-42 and 55. SI took nearly all the 6000s from the BX, all that's left are the 1-600s and about 59 61-6200s.

SI's going to trash them but hopefully KB's next in line

Why not?

I mean SI didnt deserve the VII CNGs and stuff MajinVegeta said

Anyone know which buses the Orion 7s are replacing? Hopefully the RTS's on S.I....I do like the Orion V's but some of them are in bad shape.

Not those, most likely the 1990 TMCs and 1993 Orion Vs, which, generally, is not SI

Anyone know which buses the Orion 7s are replacing? Hopefully the RTS's on S.I....I do like the Orion V's but some of them are in bad shape.

6000s are probably MTA BUS bound. The O7's won't look so nice for long, SI batters buses and then forces KB to deal with 'em.

Q25: If you're saying SI doesn't deserve them, I'll half agree with you. Hypothetically MTA foolishly sends 3800-3958 to SI then they trash them. Somewhere down the line MTA will swap the NG O7's that CAS/YUk got with most likely the ones CS and KB get (because those are the only 2 depots dumb enough to take SI crap). If they were smart they send the 4400-4500s to SI.

If you're saying the BX doesn't the deserve them all I have to say is ride a KB O5. The suspension, handling, seats... hell pretty much the entire bus is shot. You can't talk on the phone while on the bus, everything rattles too loudly.

6000s are probably MTA BUS bound. The O7's won't look so nice for long, SI batters buses and then forces KB to deal with 'em.

Q25: If you're saying SI doesn't deserve them, I'll half agree with you. Hypothetically MTA foolishly sends 3800-3958 to SI then they trash them. Somewhere down the line MTA will swap the NG O7's that CAS/YUk got with most likely the ones CS and KB get (because those are the only 2 depots dumb enough to take SI crap). If they were smart they send the 4400-4500s to SI.

If you're saying the BX doesn't the deserve them all I have to say is ride a KB O5. The suspension, handling, seats... hell pretty much the entire bus is shot. You can't talk on the phone while on the bus, everything rattles too loudly.

Naw, I didnt mean the Bronx didnt deserve them, I meant SI didnt deserve em. I would give SI much much less NGs, instead of sending buses to MTABC

A few things need to be straight again about SI, because most of you are talking plain BS.

I ride and see these buses every single day, and they're doing very well out here on Staten Island. The buses stopped being crappy since January and it's not like I didn't post pictures showing that, as well as all the SI pics posted over the summer showing a nice looking fleet. Yet, you guys feel as though you know something about SI but in reality you don't. You don't ride the buses out here every day, and you don't have any place saying they're crap.

The SI Div has 90-100 O5s that have been on Staten Island since delivery in 1999, and they were once crappy but are now in excellent condition so no, SI didn't snatch up all the "good buses". And you're also ignoring the Yukon Nova fleet which is a few buses short of being a completely GOHed fleet. The SI Division is also the only division that has Mylar applied to the windows of every single bus in the fleet. The SI Division is and has been under new management since last September and has rebounded since last year, so these rumors about SI trashing buses needs to stop. rocket.gif

Ok, so now that I got that out. The new Hybrids are awesome! As I was getting off of (Level II) 6242 on the S46, I saw 3804 idling at St. George, getting ready to do a run on the S98. It was nice and shiny and I'm not sure if anyone noticed this but they have pull cords on the lower portion of the bus. I'm hoping to catch a O7 on the S53 tomorrow morning.

A few things need to be straight again about SI, because most of you are talking plain BS.

I ride and see these buses every single day, and they're doing very well out here on Staten Island. The buses stopped being crappy since January and it's not like I didn't post pictures showing that, as well as all the SI pics posted over the summer showing a nice looking fleet. Yet, you guys feel as though you know something about SI but in reality you don't. You don't ride the buses out here every day, and you don't have any place saying they're crap.

The SI Div has 90-100 O5s that have been on Staten Island since delivery in 1999, and they were once crappy but are now in excellent condition so no, SI didn't snatch up all the "good buses". And you're also ignoring the Yukon Nova fleet which is a few buses short of being a completely GOHed fleet. The SI Division is also the only division that has Mylar applied to every single bus in the fleet. The SI Division is and has been under new management since last September and has rebounded since last year, so these rumors about SI trashing buses needs to stop. rocket.gif

Ok, so now that I got that out. The new Hybrids are awesome! As I was getting off of (Level II) 6242 on the S46, I saw 3804 idling at St. George, getting ready to do a run on the S98. It was nice and shiny and I'm not sure if anyone noticed this but they have pull cords on the lower portion of the bus. I'm hoping to catch a O7 on the S53 tomorrow morning.

Well technically I was talking bad about SI around when the VII CNGs came to town. But sorry about that :cool:

The SI Div has 90-100 O5s that have been on Staten Island since delivery in 1999, and they were once crappy but are now in excellent condition so no, SI didn't snatch up all the "good buses". And you're also ignoring the Yukon Nova fleet which is a few buses short of being a completely GOHed fleet. The SI Division is also the only division that has Mylar applied to every single bus in the fleet. The SI Division is and has been under new management since last September and has rebounded since last year, so these rumors about SI trashing buses needs to stop. rocket.gif

I dont ride the SI fleet everyday, but I do ride them often and I agree with you 100%

SI's fleet has been getting better ever since. Yukon and MJQ's Novas are my favorites. As for the Vs, Yukon has been fixing those buses up pretty nicely. I'm sure that they will keep those NGs in good shape, after all the changes CAS and YUK went through this year

Some of the 6000s were suppose to go back to The Bronx. Some are already there.

supposed to but didn't. And they probably won't.

SIR: I know SI is getting better but its messed up that KB had to replace CAS as the depot with the depot with the worse maintence becuase of CAS's buses. They could have dumped them at MJQ who also had O5s but no. The Bronx has to take the bad buses. Everytime someone adds a bus to the roster saying its at KB, the bus has been literally all around the city 1st. SI might have had the O5's from jump but Bronx bus riders are treated like 3rd world citizens everytime a bus order comes in. They say we know KB and GH have older buses but we're gonna send the new buses somewhere that has a GOH'd or pristine fleet so they'll displace buses to the Bx. is a couple of new O7's is too much to as for?

The SI Div has 90-100 O5s that have been on Staten Island since delivery in 1999, and they were once crappy but are now in excellent condition so no, SI didn't snatch up all the "good buses". And you're also ignoring the Yukon Nova fleet which is a few buses short of being a completely GOHed fleet. The SI Division is also the only division that has Mylar applied to the windows of every single bus in the fleet. The SI Division is and has been under new management since last September and has rebounded since last year, so these rumors about SI trashing buses needs to stop. rocket.gif

Yeah. Ya'll have good buses now because most of them came from KB. Where did most of the 05's in KB come from? S.I and they are raggady!!!!!

So new management is over there? They cleaning up over there!?.. That's a good thing!

I'm not sure if anyone noticed this but they have pull cords on the lower portion of the bus. I'm hoping to catch a O7 on the S53 tomorrow morning.

Does it still have the tape on the sides? Or the got rid of that? This is interesting, an (MTA) ordered bus with pull cords...

SI didn't get better the Buses did they low blow the Other Boro's because SI can't get it together UP, KB, GH, QV, CS Got the Bluk of it. Express wise UP, QV, CS Got Stuck with those 18xx/19xx which SI trashed and got back Good 21xx/27xx/28xx/29xx & 43xx. Local wise they Low Blowed FLA, GH, KB by swaping there crappy 05's & RTS to get back Clean 93xx/94xx & 62xx From MCH. I would not say they got Better just yet i almost forgot those 32xx from MTA bus which are Falling aparts after only like 6 months of being @ SI.

@MTA 2 MARTA: You still got things wrong, SI COULDN'T get it together under the old management. Regardless of what you may think or heard, they've since gotten their things in order. The SI Division swapped buses out that weren't GOHed and that's what you guys are seeing and may be talking about. Buses like 495, 571, 9525, or 6128 for examples were not GOHed when sent out of SI.

While OTOH, the buses that SI was receiving and those that simply remained on SI, were being GOHed and maintained properly. So yes the SI Div did get better, because the maintenance is still doing a great job to this day on these buses that were sent in last year. The "Old SI Div." would've trashed those buses in two weeks. And I just rode 3232 on the X10 last Sunday and it wasn't "falling apart" as you say.

@7LineFan: No, there's no strips on the lower portion AFAIK.

@Q43: SI is only getting the first 159 O7s of an 845 order, so just give it time and I'm sure they'll send some up there. Or if not, KB and GH will end up with some 1999 Orion Vs from CAS and YUK (Yukon's are a little better than those from CAS).

@MTA 2 MARTA: You still got things wrong, SI COULDN'T get it together under the old management. Regardless of what you may think or heard, they've since gotten their things in order. The SI Division swapped buses out that weren't GOHed and that's what you guys are seeing and may be talking about. Buses like 495, 571, 9525, or 6128 for examples were not GOHed when sent out of SI.

While OTOH, the buses that SI was receiving and those that simply remained on SI, were being GOHed and maintained properly. So yes the SI Div did get better, because the maintenance is still doing a great job to this day on these buses that were sent in last year. The "Old SI Div." would've trashed those buses in two weeks. And I just rode 3232 on the X10 last Sunday and it wasn't "falling apart" as you say.

@7LineFan: No, there's no strips on the lower portion AFAIK.

@Q43: SI is only getting the first 159 O7s of an 845 order, so just give it time and I'm sure they'll send some up there. Or if not, KB and GH will end up with some 1999 Orion Vs from CAS and YUK (Yukon's are a little better than those from CAS).

So they put strips in the back and cords in the front?

You know what I can't even be mad about this. I mean KB really, REALLY got screwed by SI but lets face it, after those 159 buses get there SI wont see new buses till 2020 the earliest. If they send 159 buses all at 1 time to SI, which I'm doubting, At some point they will end up sending the mid 4000s to SI and giving the 3800-3900s to another depot. They have to send like 50 to CAS, 50 to YUK, 50 to another depot then back to SI. That's how SI messed up the 400-500s in the first place sending a lot of them at 1 time.

No more SI buses for the Bx period. The 400's are making me go deaf with all the noise and screeching. None of what SI sent out was GOH'd, The buses they got were GOH'd were though. It was an unbalanced swap. You can't outsource problem buses to a borough that already has a plethora of bus shortages & breakdowns. And I've heard otherwise about them MCI's...

Archived