New hybrid buses roll out on staten island

trainfan22

I've already said it before. KB got screwed. The depot union chairman, and OA Division II (Bronx) chairman, said this when I was there. They even doubt KB will get new buses. They said "when the new buses get in, they most likely will send them to Manhattan, and the other boroughs, and we will get the other boroughs old buses as usual". For those who bring up KB getting the artics when they were new, that is due to the fact, that the other borough unions did not want them, due to the .25cents extra an hour, for an extra 20ft of bus. So that doesn't count as why KB shouldn't get new buses. West Farms is a CNG depot, and was built as such. There were no old CNGs to send to the Farms, so they had to get new CNG buses. The Orion V CNG was part of the private lines at that time, as MTA Bus was non existent. My point is KB and WF got their buses by default, since no other depots or union wanted or could handle them at that time (Gleason the exception). KB and Gun Hill needs new 40fters. WF needs nothing..........

I've already said it before. KB got screwed. The depot union chairman, and OA Division II (Bronx) chairman, said this when I was there. They even doubt KB will get new buses. They said "when the new buses get in, they most likely will send them to Manhattan, and the other boroughs, and we will get the other boroughs old buses as usual". For those who bring up KB getting the artics when they were new, that is due to the fact, that the other borough unions did not want them, due to the .25cents extra an hour, for an extra 20ft of bus. So that doesn't count as why KB shouldn't get new buses. West Farms is a CNG depot, and was built as such. There were no old CNGs to send to the Farms, so they had to get new CNG buses. The Orion V CNG was part of the private lines at that time, as MTA Bus was non existent. My point is KB and WF got their buses by default, since no other depots or union wanted or could handle them at that time (Gleason the exception). KB and Gun Hill needs new 40fters. WF needs nothing..........

How can they get away with just sending the Bronx old busted buses "as usual"?! It's like the BX union and depots either don't care or have no say in anything. The riders complain all the time, so does someone need to torch an O5 to get someone to do something? lol. But seriously the depot needs to step up and say they need new buses. People are tired of the crap

You know man... the Pure BS!!!!!!!

Staten Island gets New Buses after they took whatever good buses we had left in the Bx. I'm mainly talking about KB.... KB have the worse buses in the whole City and SI gets new buses. We probably will get more of there garbage up here!!!!!

it's only a bus.

6000s are probably MTA BUS bound. The O7's won't look so nice for long, SI batters buses and then forces KB to deal with 'em.

Q25: If you're saying SI doesn't deserve them, I'll half agree with you. Hypothetically MTA foolishly sends 3800-3958 to SI then they trash them. Somewhere down the line MTA will swap the NG O7's that CAS/YUk got with most likely the ones CS and KB get (because those are the only 2 depots dumb enough to take SI crap). If they were smart they send the 4400-4500s to SI.

If you're saying the BX doesn't the deserve them all I have to say is ride a KB O5. The suspension, handling, seats... hell pretty much the entire bus is shot. You can't talk on the phone while on the bus, everything rattles too loudly.

also the seats are very dirty on 95 05 at KB.

it's only a bus.

So what! I live in a KB bus zone. So most of the routes where I live is KB (4 KB Routes Bx3, Bx7, M100,

3 WF -Bx11, Bx35, Bx36,

2 Manhattanville- M3, M5

1 100st - M101) out of all those buses the KB are the worse. Buses loud,rattles over bumps broken, rusting, the seats are changing colors, A.C doesn't work! Its all types of stuff with KB.

So no its not just a bus. Why can't I ever get a quiet KB bus?

The Artics are the best thing out of there, and those ain't that great at times!

A few things need to be straight again about SI, because most of you are talking plain BS.

I ride and see these buses every single day, and they're doing very well out here on Staten Island. The buses stopped being crappy since January and it's not like I didn't post pictures showing that, as well as all the SI pics posted over the summer showing a nice looking fleet. Yet, you guys feel as though you know something about SI but in reality you don't. You don't ride the buses out here every day, and you don't have any place saying they're crap.

The SI Div has 90-100 O5s that have been on Staten Island since delivery in 1999, and they were once crappy but are now in excellent condition so no, SI didn't snatch up all the "good buses". And you're also ignoring the Yukon Nova fleet which is a few buses short of being a completely GOHed fleet. The SI Division is also the only division that has Mylar applied to the windows of every single bus in the fleet. The SI Division is and has been under new management since last September and has rebounded since last year, so these rumors about SI trashing buses needs to stop. rocket.gif

Ok, so now that I got that out. The new Hybrids are awesome! As I was getting off of (Level II) 6242 on the S46, I saw 3804 idling at St. George, getting ready to do a run on the S98. It was nice and shiny and I'm not sure if anyone noticed this but they have pull cords on the lower portion of the bus. I'm hoping to catch a O7 on the S53 tomorrow morning.

It's true that the hybrids are nice, but secondly SI does trash buses. You don't see any Orion V , new and shiny. I'm not sure what will happen with the NG but if they do trips on the S53 and S93, it's dead!

The no old CNGs to send to WF may change soon. It is entirely possible that O5s that the MTA inherited from the private lines could be transferred to Gleason or WF.

The reason why only 105 more O7s will go to MTA Bus is because the remaining replacements will be MCIs. I would expect Spring Creek to lose all of its hybrids and RTSs, with O5s seconded to local service...and CP won't need all of its O5s there for local duty, meaning some will end up transferred to NYC Transit.

it's only a bus.

Tell that to Staten Island residents, who have not seen a new local bus in 9 years, and have seen new orders for them for local duty only four previous times in the last 25, and once in the last 16 (1984, final 51 or so; 1988, last 47 or so; another 47 or so in 1991; and 1999, 208 buses). These people have been accustomed to getting junk equipment...not new equipment.

The only area where people can really complain is those along Jamaica Depot and Flatbush routes, which has not gotten new equipment since 1999 for local service, with no likely plans of new equipment---and a replacement garage being pushed back and back (it has been in the capital budget)...or Ulmer Park routes, without new local buses since 1996.

Image matters.

6000s are probably MTA BUS bound. The O7's won't look so nice for long, SI batters buses and then forces KB to deal with 'em.

Q25: If you're saying SI doesn't deserve them, I'll half agree with you. Hypothetically MTA foolishly sends 3800-3958 to SI then they trash them. Somewhere down the line MTA will swap the NG O7's that CAS/YUk got with most likely the ones CS and KB get (because those are the only 2 depots dumb enough to take SI crap). If they were smart they send the 4400-4500s to SI.

If you're saying the BX doesn't the deserve them all I have to say is ride a KB O5. The suspension, handling, seats... hell pretty much the entire bus is shot. You can't talk on the phone while on the bus, everything rattles too loudly.

I can almost guarantee you that 3800-3958 will NOT go to Staten Island. As I have predicted before, I am quite sure it will be something like 3800-3839 at CAS, and 3840-3879 to YUK, 3880-3999 (aprox) will go elsewhere, then the will deliver 4000 series buses to CAS and YUK.

supposed to but didn't. And they probably won't.

SIR: I know SI is getting better but its messed up that KB had to replace CAS as the depot with the depot with the worse maintence becuase of CAS's buses. They could have dumped them at MJQ who also had O5s but no. The Bronx has to take the bad buses. Everytime someone adds a bus to the roster saying its at KB, the bus has been literally all around the city 1st. SI might have had the O5's from jump but Bronx bus riders are treated like 3rd world citizens everytime a bus order comes in. They say we know KB and GH have older buses but we're gonna send the new buses somewhere that has a GOH'd or pristine fleet so they'll displace buses to the Bx. is a couple of new O7's is too much to as for?

@MTA 2 MARTA: You still got things wrong, SI COULDN'T get it together under the old management. Regardless of what you may think or heard, they've since gotten their things in order. The SI Division swapped buses out that weren't GOHed and that's what you guys are seeing and may be talking about. Buses like 495, 571, 9525, or 6128 for examples were not GOHed when sent out of SI.

While OTOH, the buses that SI was receiving and those that simply remained on SI, were being GOHed and maintained properly. So yes the SI Div did get better, because the maintenance is still doing a great job to this day on these buses that were sent in last year. The "Old SI Div." would've trashed those buses in two weeks. And I just rode 3232 on the X10 last Sunday and it wasn't "falling apart" as you say.

@7LineFan: No, there's no strips on the lower portion AFAIK.

@Q43: SI is only getting the first 159 O7s of an 845 order, so just give it time and I'm sure they'll send some up there. Or if not, KB and GH will end up with some 1999 Orion Vs from CAS and YUK (Yukon's are a little better than those from CAS).

SI is getting much better, but they still have a long way to go.

I bet KB will get some in mid '09, but as for right now I don't see it. They definitely will, but when is the $1 Million question!

I don't think CAS and YUK are getting 159 buses. The press release and the times article both said 125. Only SI live said 159.

SIR: Looking back on the L2 6242 on the s46... yea that was a KB L2 just to let you know.

Shondrae: quiet KB bus= oxymoron. its sucks but when you live by or frequently use KB routes you come to accept the fact that something will be wrong with the bus. I got rained on inside 449 today.

aemoreira81: JAM can't run anything other than RTS's apparently. clearance issues. And both JAM and UP are being rebuilt next year so other depots will be covering those routes.

3827 is at CAS and 20 CAS 99's have had their radios and fareboxes taken out. no idea what the numbers are or what that means for the buses.

UP is supposed to be rebuilt??? Since when?? I thought they were just rehabbing it...

My bad thats what i meant rehabbing. None of the JAM routes are close to CS except the Q17 and QV could prolly take Q4,30 &42. BP could take the Q3,5,77,84 and 85

About the 20 CAS 1999's, Its possible that they're BX bound and they'll take the fareboxes and radios out of the 93s for them. Someone did mention one of the NG O7s having an older farebox so maybe thats where it came from.

My bad thats what i meant rehabbing. JAM routes with the exception of maybe the Q17 to CS and Q30 to QV will have to be picked up by BP.

About the 20 CAS 1999's, Its possible that they're BX bound and they'll take the fareboxes and radios out of the 93s for them. Someone did mention one of the NG O7s having an older farebox so maybe thats where it came from.

Baisley Park???!!! Why can't CS and QV pick them up??

Why not??

CS is not very well with the routes outside the area they are in (Q76, Q31), so I cant see them doing well with JA routes, besides the Q17 (and possibly it, too)

QV needs more buses for JA routes IMO. Plus the hybrids there are not doing very well. TMCs wont cut it, there's only so many in the city. It would be very interesting to see the older SI buses to be sent to depots covering JA and UP routes.

CS is not very well with the routes outside the area they are in (Q76, Q31), so I cant see them doing well with JA routes, besides the Q17 (and possibly it, too)

QV needs more buses for JA routes IMO. Plus the hybrids there are not doing very well. TMCs wont cut it, there's only so many in the city. It would be very interesting to see the older SI buses to be sent to depots covering JA and UP routes.

But they will still use the JAM buses, just sent to other depots.

It's true that the hybrids are nice, but secondly SI does trash buses. You don't see any Orion V , new and shiny. I'm not sure what will happen with the NG but if they do trips on the S53 and S93, it's dead!

Uhh, no. SI has trashed buses in the past. SI does not trash buses anymore, and this is a fact. CAS and Yukon are still white-backing O5s which means that they have to be new and shiny. In fact, I just got off of 6183 and it was nice, shiny, clean and whitebacked. Do you have any more false info to share? PFFgetlost.gif

(All from nycbusfan)

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4646/dsc0168eb1.jpg

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/6219/dsc0147au9.jpg

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/3709/dsc0169ve4.jpg

(All from me)

YUK 6340

YUK 6289

CAS 6216

(All from Majin)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CaitSith810/DSC07929.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CaitSith810/DSC07942.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CaitSith810/DSC07898.jpg

I can almost guarantee you that 3800-3958 will NOT go to Staten Island. As I have predicted before, I am quite sure it will be something like 3800-3839 at CAS, and 3840-3879 to YUK, 3880-3999 (aprox) will go elsewhere, then the will deliver 4000 series buses to CAS and YUK.

SI is getting much better, but they still have a long way to go.

I'm not too sure about that though because they did deliver 6138 through 6349 on Staten Island originally. That's over 210 buses! And take my word for it, Staten Island only has a short way to go from this point especially knowing what it was like from 2005-2007 (I used to make a post every other day on BusChat about the horrors us SIers used to experienc!). At this point in time, there are now depots that can be considered worse than CAS and YUK so that's a turning point within itself.

Uhh, no. SI has trashed buses in the past. SI does not trash buses anymore, and this is a fact. CAS and Yukon are still white-backing O5s which means that they have to be new and shiny. In fact, I just got off of 6183 and it was nice, shiny, clean and whitebacked. Do you have any more false info to share? PFFgetlost.gif

(All from nycbusfan)

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4646/dsc0168eb1.jpg

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/6219/dsc0147au9.jpg

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/3709/dsc0169ve4.jpg

(All from me)

YUK 6340

YUK 6289

CAS 6216

(All from Majin)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CaitSith810/DSC07929.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CaitSith810/DSC07942.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/CaitSith810/DSC07898.jpg

I'm not too sure about that though because they did deliver 6138 through 6349 on Staten Island originally. That's over 210 buses! And take my word for it, Staten Island only has a short way to go from this point especially knowing what it was like from 2005-2007 (I used to make a post every other day on BusChat about the horrors us SIers used to experienc!). At this point in time, there are now depots that can be considered worse than CAS and YUK so that's a turning point within itself.

Well this post has put a smile on my face. I'll be hunting for those NGs next week, be sure to expect videos and pictures soon! :P

As for this controversy over SI, I'm siding with (SIR) North Shore on this case cause I also ride these buses often, and no, not just to SI mall :). But these buses went through a serious change, interiors more neat and cleaner, exteriors much, much more cleaner and well maintained. On top of that, the NGs will do really well here, as the 6000s imo will be heading to The Bronx, which is a good thing, cause those buses have been in good shape this year and late last year

Back in the day, you would see SI buses in total dismay. Now, its like SI had an awakening and fixed their buses to tip top condition. For those who have not rode around SI this year, I say come and take a ride on one of these buses and their routes. It might change your mind on how these buses run and look. Some of you are fixated over the past, those who have been there between the time frame of February and this current time frame will see a dramatic change in their fleet.

My little theory is, dont talk trash about SI's fleet until you have rode these within this year. You will see a major difference from the past maintenance, to the present time.

Archived