Tompkinsville Station turnstile project started

ghome

The project of installing turnstiles at the SIR Tompkinsville Station has begun. By next summer, people will have to pay to get off at the Tompkinsville Station. A new building with be installed for the turnstiles. People use the Tompkinsville Station to avoid paying the $2 fare at St. George.

More in the NY times and Staten Island Advance.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/si-railway-to-close-walking-loophole/?hp

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/faresaving_walk_now_less_of_a.html

If the program works, there might be more on the SIR.

Thoughts?

I say is about time.

Even though I'm guilty of getting off at Tompskinville to avoid fare control at St George and yet still end up on the connecting ferry, :rolleyes:, well, its about time this is happening.

I say install fare control at all SIR stations. What they could do is have a POP (Proof of Payment) system....

I say is about time.

Even though I'm guilty of getting off at Tompskinville to avoid fare control at St George and yet still end up on the connecting ferry, :), well, its about time this is happening.

I say install fare control at all SIR stations. What they could do is have a POP (Proof of Payment) system....

I agree Man. Turnstiles & Token Booth Clerks on the Entire Line.

2000th Post!:P

Zachary

You know what I dont understand is, what if sum1 from Stapleton enters SIRT, and Pays, and then have to pay to exit St Gerorge, is that how Stapleton station gonna be? Or theres gonna be an Entry Gate u push like when exiting a station......?

You know what I dont understand is, what if sum1 from Stapleton enters SIRT, and Pays, and then have to pay to exit St Gerorge, is that how Stapleton station gonna be? Or theres gonna be an Entry Gate u push like when exiting a station......?

The plan isn't for Stapleton to get turnstiles, its Tompskinville.

If the MTA decides to put turnstiles everywhere, then you pay at the station your getting on, and then just exit at St George. They'll just change it at St George so that you can exit, like how the turnstiles are in the NYC Subway already, simple as that.

The plan isn't for Stapleton to get turnstiles, its Tompskinville.

If the MTA decides to put turnstiles everywhere, then you pay at the station your getting on, and then just exit at St George. They'll just change it at St George so that you can exit, like how the turnstiles are in the NYC Subway already, simple as that.

sorry i forgot it was tompskinville.

I doubt the TA is gonna start building these all over the SIR system at the moment

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You people are crazy! My sister and I take the SIR all the time. It wouldn't be fair to charge at every station. We staten islanders ride the SIR because it's the fastest way to travel on Staten Island.

Well, why not? Everyone else in the city pays to ride the subway.

Anyway, this is to everyone, are they installing the same turnstiles as they use in the subway?

You people are crazy! My sister and I take the SIR all the time. It wouldn't be fair to charge at every station. We staten islanders ride the SIR because it's the fastest way to travel on Staten Island.

WHAT ABT US? we take the subway all the time. it wudnt be fair for sum ppl 2 not b charged (except for one station) we get charged at every station out of 468.

WE NEW YORKERS RIDE THE SUBWAY BECAUSE IT'S THE FASTEST WAY TO TRAVEL IN THE OTHER BOROUGHS. :mad:

• 11 months later...

yeh, having to pay for public transportation... some concept right... the nerve of us....

typical freeloader mentality....

Archived