LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

On 12/27/2017 at 10:18 AM, drenyce311 said:

I had a student about 2 months ago. She waited almost 12 months to get called for the S&D overview. Plus there’s about 30 people waiting to get into a class. So it’s gonna be a while. Have faith and keep studying for those waiting to get called. 

Thank you. They already called me in for the S&D overview. They E-mailed me an invite 8 days after the cognitive test/ interview, which suprised me because they told me to expect to hear from them in a couple of months if i passed.I'm definitely not complaining though! I'm just waiting to go in. lol 

I'm most definitely keeping the faith, thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. After 2 1/2 years of applying, I finally got called for the 1/17 open house. I was told I passed the cognitive and vocabulary tests, as well as the interview. I was told to watch my email for an invite to the S&D overview. I’m so psyched that this is finally happening. Was anyone else at this week’s open house?

8 hours ago, Bluto1899 said:

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. After 2 1/2 years of applying, I finally got called for the 1/17 open house. I was told I passed the cognitive and vocabulary tests, as well as the interview. I was told to watch my email for an invite to the S&D overview. I’m so psyched that this is finally happening. Was anyone else at this week’s open house?

Also a long time lurker who was at the same open house. I'm also waiting for an invite to S&D. Fingers crossed!

17 hours ago, Bluto1899 said:

Congrats, I attend the 1/17 open house, I was told the same thing, now I’m just waiting for that email.

18 hours ago, AirBrake said:

Also a long time lurker who was at the same open house. I'm also waiting for an invite to S&D. Fingers crossed!

Nice! It was a way bigger group than I expected. Was nervous as all hell every time somebody came up to call out names. I think whenever they called a group of names, those were people who failed the test and were sent home.

8 hours ago, Train123 said:

@Bluto1899 how u doing? If you were called in the back and was interviewed does that mean u passed the vocabulary and cognitive test portion? 

Yes, at the end of my interview the HR guy told me I passed all three parts (Vocabulary, Cognative and Interview) and to check my email for an invite to the S&D overview. I think one of the things they were looking for in the interview was for you to mention the stuff from the bottom of the mission statement that they said would be important later.

8 hours ago, Train123 said:

Also did they tell you, you passed ?

He said I passed, I didn’t ask for my scores, because he didn’t seem like a real chatty guy. I figured I’d let him ask the questions. I did see “39” written on top of my vocabulary test as he shuffled through my papers. I’m want to know which one I got wrong.

1 hour ago, Bluto1899 said:

He said I passed, I didn’t ask for my scores, because he didn’t seem like a real chatty guy. I figured I’d let him ask the questions. I did see “39” written on top of my vocabulary test as he shuffled through my papers. I’m want to know which one I got wrong.

I think it was 42 vocabulary words? Or 40? Can’t remember. 

2 hours ago, Train123 said:

Ok thanks wasn’t sure because they were calling people out in groups and wasn’t sure what that was about........ @drenyce311 I’ve been reading the forum and seen that you’ve already went through the process for the job already. How are you doing now that you’ve made it? 

The guys I was sitting with and I figured out that was what it was. If you got called by yourself, you passed and we’re going for an interview. If you were in a group, you got told you failed and we’re shown the door. That’s why they went to another room.

Just want to throw it out there, after I passed the initial and called in for signals and definitions and passed that. I waited almost 10 months to get called for phase 1. Of course I got discouraged and lost faith but continuously stayed positive and  hopeful, still reviewed the signals and definitions to stay on top of my game. My point is stay positive, it may not happen right away but just stay on top of your game and your chance will come.

2 hours ago, Biggburns said:

Just want to throw it out there, after I passed the initial and called in for signals and definitions and passed that. I waited almost 10 months to get called for phase 1. Of course I got discouraged and lost faith but continuously stayed positive and  hopeful, still reviewed the signals and definitions to stay on top of my game. My point is stay positive, it may not happen right away but just stay on top of your game and your chance will come.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. About how long did you wait between open house and S&D overview?

Awesome, thanks for the insight. About how long did you wait between open house and S&D overview?

Really can’t go by the 3 months mark. It all depends on how many people passed the background check and got invited back for the S&D. I had my orientation at the end of January, passed the cogivtive exam, had the interview, the next day I got the email for the background check and then two weeks later I got the email inviting me to the overview. A total of 3 weeks. Like I mention earlier. I had a student already who waited 12 months to get called for the signals and definition overview. And there’s about 30-40 waiting to get into a class. Just be patient. It’s a long process, but it’s  worth it in the long run. 

6 hours ago, Train123 said:

Ok thanks wasn’t sure because they were calling people out in groups and wasn’t sure what that was about........ @drenyce311 I’ve been reading the forum and seen that you’ve already went through the process for the job already. How are you doing now that you’ve made it? 

Oh man. It’s been great. Can’t complain. Wage progression sucks now. But it’s still better than anything. But it’s definitely greener on the other side. 

6 hours ago, Train123 said:

Also when they email you for invite to the open house did you get background papers attached to the email ? @drenyce311

No attachment. It’s a link to a website that does the background checks. It’s all done online. Just remember. “IT HAS TO MATCH”  what you entered on the original application and leave nothing out. All previous employers has to match. 

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

No attachment. It’s a link to a website that does the background checks. It’s all done online. Just remember. “IT HAS TO MATCH”  what you entered on the original application and leave nothing out. All previous employers has to match. 

I haven’t gotten any background check email, but they did email us 9 page job applications and were very specific about everything on my resume matching the application exactly. There was also a page having us give permission to pull our driving record. Maybe they are doing the checks straight from that now, as my interviewer never mentioned an email about background checks, only to look for an invite to S&D overview.

Anyway, enough about that. Way to go for getting through the program and being a qualified engineer! 

I haven’t gotten any background check email, but they did email us 9 page job applications and were very specific about everything on my resume matching the application exactly. There was also a page having us give permission to pull our driving record. Maybe they are doing the checks straight from that now, as my interviewer never mentioned an email about background checks, only to look for an invite to S&D overview.

Anyway, enough about that. Way to go for getting through the program and being a qualified engineer! 

Thanks. It was worth it in the end. A year qualified already.