LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MattyCass89 said:

Just had the S&D overview over the weekend.   Any study tips to make this stuff get nailed in? 

Just remember the amount of time they give you study that information is sufficient. Read write recite. No way around it. I started with the easy ones first then kept adding a few more each day. You can have it all memorized by the end of the 2nd week. I did by the 2nd week. Not 100% verbatim but the 3rd week was to polish all of them verbatim and 4th was review. Your going to be studying all day round. Be disciplined. Take breaks in between to give your brain a rest. 

18 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Good luck Bro. How many weeks did they give you? My group got 4 weeks. I heard others have gotten 6-8 weeks. 

Thanks. 5 weeks. When you took the definitions portion, was there any rhyme or reason to it? More “short” definitions than “long” or was it totally random?

2 hours ago, Bluto1899 said:

Thanks. 5 weeks. When you took the definitions portion, was there any rhyme or reason to it? More “short” definitions than “long” or was it totally random?

Random. You need to know them since you don’t know which 40 are going to be on the test. 

1 minute ago, drenyce311 said:

Not true. I’ve had students and I asked a few of them. Some of them got 7 weeks. Another got 8 weeks. 

The trainers who facilitated the overview said back in the day when they went through, they only got 3 weeks to study.

6 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Random. You need to know them since you don’t know which 40 are going to be on the test. 

I still can’t believe we need to memorize 75+ multiple sentence definitions. I’m already starting to know what definition applies to each term, but I don’t know how I’m going to commit all of them to memory.

30 minutes ago, Bluto1899 said:

I still can’t believe we need to memorize 75+ multiple sentence definitions. I’m already starting to know what definition applies to each term, but I don’t know how I’m going to commit all of them to memory.

By reading, writing and reciting a BILLION times. If your writing hand doesn't hurt, then you're not studying enough. When you're starting to memorize them, start with the flash cards.

21 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

I applied in Apr, 2017. I just started phase 1. Don't lose hope though. There's alot of factors involved that nobody is quite sure of.

One thing though, I was forced to change the phone number that was on my resume. I can't replace the number on my resume but I changed it on my profile. Which phone number are they more likely to use ? 

1 hour ago, lsymfr said:

One thing though, I was forced to change the phone number that was on my resume. I can't replace the number on my resume but I changed it on my profile. Which phone number are they more likely to use ? 

All contact they’ve made with me has been through email so far.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:27 PM, Bluto1899 said:

The trainers who facilitated the overview said back in the day when they went through, they only got 3 weeks to study.

Back in the day it was only 20 signals and 20 definItions. They didn’t have to learn all of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Signal Aspects down REAL solid, the indications and definitions I am about 50% with about 2 weeks left but I am feeling pretty good, been reading writing and rewriting and rewriting.  Flash cards for indications and signals have been unreal in terms of usefulness.  The longer definitions I have just been writing them and reading them and having my wife quiz me.   It has been tough and I am nervous but every day I progress and learn a little more and a little more. 

25 minutes ago, MattyCass89 said:

Got my Signal Aspects down REAL solid, the indications and definitions I am about 50% with about 2 weeks left but I am feeling pretty good, been reading writing and rewriting and rewriting.  Flash cards for indications and signals have been unreal in terms of usefulness.  The longer definitions I have just been writing them and reading them and having my wife quiz me.   It has been tough and I am nervous but every day I progress and learn a little more and a little more. 

Keep at it bro. It just gets tougher from there. 

5 hours ago, MattyCass89 said:

Same here. I feel like I turned a corner this week with the aspects. I changed how I was studying them and it just clicked. The indications and definitions are a different story. I’m getting there, but not as quickly as I’d like to. 2 1/2 weeks to go.

• 2 weeks later...